Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Beef Waifu posted:

I gotta say the story of this game was pretty disappointing. I was expecting nuttier stuff and it ended up just being sort of boring for the most part.

Yeah. There's a few moments, here and there, but by-and-large, it's a pretty bog standard plot (all things considering).
Funny, though.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerulily
Dec 28, 2012

Momomo posted:

I found the bracers to be the best weapon by far. Swords weren't strong enough and Spears are way too slow, the fists have really long combos and have a decent enough range.

The Chakrams were well, the chakrams.

I actually found spears to be my go-to weapon of choice, i found bracers tended to just stick me in one spot and be vulnerable for too long.

Care to enlighten me?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

BioMe posted:

It's like every ending until D is just telling you to go get another ending. Compare that to the first game where by the time you get shot down by a MiG fighter there had also been an apocalypse by giant babies, an apocalypse by dragon invasion, apocalypse by an army of scorpion sister clones...

Okay yeah maybe the end result wasn't that varied in most of the Drakengard 1 endings either, but it did manage to make you :stare: again and again
Yeah, Ending C in this one wasn't even an ending at all.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man. loving Book Club missions. You want me to bomb this Titan? And then these two Cerberi? Fine. Oh, you gave me two minutes? :fuckoff:

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
So what are generally considered the best songs from the Drakengard 1 and 2 soundtrack?

Cerulily posted:

I actually found spears to be my go-to weapon of choice, i found bracers tended to just stick me in one spot and be vulnerable for too long.

Care to enlighten me?

If you take a light bracer, like say the Ice Gauntlets, the stamina attack is an infinite hit combo that will pump out more DPS than most other weapons (at least through the first ending).

Brackhar fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 28, 2014

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Brackhar posted:

So what are generally considered the best songs from the Drakengard 1 and 2 soundtrack?

I like these
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UnxUkF8dvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNPx2nS-St8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt_Zx_V6hPY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XFjV83gX24
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEs835JoHHI

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Well I got Ending A and welp, that sure looks like the one that leads into Drakengard 1. Now, off to Route B, where the true Drakengard begins. :unsmigghh:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This looks like a good place to ask this: So what are the Watchers and why did they want to murder the world? Drakengard 2 hints/outright says (I don't remember) that the Watchers are the gods of the world, but again, why do they want to murderize everything?

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gologle posted:

This looks like a good place to ask this: So what are the Watchers and why did they want to murder the world? Drakengard 2 hints/outright says (I don't remember) that the Watchers are the gods of the world, but again, why do they want to murderize everything?

They're horrible beings from another dimension. They don't need a reason.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Gologle posted:

Probably the same reason they took the forms of giant lightning-winged babies.

Because it's funny.

Seriously, they're basically /b/ given godhood. The entire plot of the first game is that the Watchers saw Manah go bugfuck insane after being abandoned by her mother dick deep in a monster infested shithole and thought it was the funniest goddamn thing, so they gave her superpowers.

Though to be serious, the Watchers want to kill humanity because they want their planet back. Originally they ran this poo poo, but then the dragons popped up and created humanity and the goddess seal to trap the Watchers in a separate plane until they could muster their forces to wipe them out.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 29, 2014

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Brackhar posted:

These two are great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmQ6-s_ILA4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012
What are these camera angles!?!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Sgt Thud posted:

What are these camera angles!?!

I. Hear. A. Sound.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flytrap posted:

Probably the same reason they took the forms of giant lightning-winged babies.

Because it's funny.

Seriously, they're basically /b/ given godhood. The entire plot of the first game is that the Watchers saw Manah go bugfuck insane after being abandoned by her mother dick deep in a monster infested shithole and thought it was the funniest goddamn thing, so they gave her superpowers.

Though to be serious, the Watchers want to kill humanity because they want their planet back. Originally they ran this poo poo, but then the dragons popped up and created humanity and the goddess seal to trap the Watchers in a separate plane until they could muster their forces to wipe them out.

Wait, the dragons created humanity? How did that happen?

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Wait, the dragons created humanity? How did that happen?

Because they're goddamn dragons. Who's gonna tell them they can't?

vv More like he'd grin at them in a horrifyingly unhinged manner in grim silence. I'm sure they'd get the message.

Cthulhuchan fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 29, 2014

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Caim prolly could if he gave a poo poo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Artix posted:

Well I got Ending A and welp, that sure looks like the one that leads into Drakengard 1. Now, off to Route B, where the true Drakengard begins. :unsmigghh:

Wait, you thought that leads into Drakengard? What about the doves and the fact that brother one just splits into Manna and Seere and the "We took a wrong turn" lady? I just got ending A last night and I swear it barely connects to Drakengard.

That boss too, whenever I attempted to do a slam with Mikhail he'd manage to miss, try and correct his path according to the lock on, miss again and start flying straight up into the roof.

Bonus Fun fact: if you kill a Golem while it's launching it's hands and a cutscene plays right after it'll glitch and loop the launching hands sound effect, over and over again.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Cthulhuchan posted:

Because they're goddamn dragons. Who's gonna tell them they can't?

But WHY did the dragons create humans? Most dragons seem to hate humans.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

From wherever the Watchers live. I don't think it's made explicit.

From what I gather the flower is basically Satan's dick and the Watchers came later so who knows? The first ones are Zero and One through Five from the looks of things in ending D. I assume they're more demonic minions then gods.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

But WHY did the dragons create humans? Most dragons seem to hate humans.

Interm solution to deal with the grotesqueries.

Artix posted:

It isn't. I think it's B that does? Zero makes a pact in one of them more or less.

Beef Waifu posted:

I gotta say the story of this game was pretty disappointing. I was expecting nuttier stuff and it ended up just being sort of boring for the most part.

Yeah I agree. I talked about that a bit before

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Bonus Fun fact: if you kill a Golem while it's launching it's hands and a cutscene plays right after it'll glitch and loop the launching hands sound effect, over and over again.

Try jumping on a Three's puzzle box right before a cutscene of them flying into the slots above a door starts.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Golden Goat posted:

Wait, you thought that leads into Drakengard? What about the doves and the fact that brother one just splits into Manna and Seere and the "We took a wrong turn" lady? I just got ending A last night and I swear it barely connects to Drakengard.

I dunno, Brother really looked like Manah after getting a bunch of Zero's blood on him and he wandered off saying something about starting a new religion and I figured that was the sanest things were gonna get. :shrug: If not, I guess I'll be proven wrong pretty quickly. I really don't care about the continuity or anything, I'm here for the crazy.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
That's it, apparently. Brother One goes on to creates what is later known as the Cult of the Watchers, and that only happens in ending A, so it's the olny one that can lead to Drakengard 1.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Artix posted:

I dunno, Brother really looked like Manah after getting a bunch of Zero's blood on him and he wandered off saying something about starting a new religion and I figured that was the sanest things were gonna get. :shrug: If not, I guess I'll be proven wrong pretty quickly. I really don't care about the continuity or anything, I'm here for the crazy.

You're right but I still don't know when, how or if brother one splits into seere and manna or if he's like their parent or something. It's just weird because they just go "Heeeey doesn't brother one look kinda like Manna, yep that's how Drakengard gets started." :shepface:

But hey this is Drakengard! I shouldn't think too much into this.

Edit: Having just finished Ending A does anybody know a good place to grind for money?

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 11:44 on May 29, 2014

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011
I think none of them lead to Drakengard 1 actually, ending A leads to some weird rewritten version called Drakengard 1.3 or something. Don't try too hard to make sense of the timeline, it's Drakengard all the way down.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Iceclaw posted:

That's it, apparently. Brother One goes on to creates what is later known as the Cult of the Watchers, and that only happens in ending A, so it's the olny one that can lead to Drakengard 1.

That probably happens in all the endings actually, just off-screen.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

BioMe posted:

That probably happens in all the endings actually, just off-screen.

I'm guessing that isn't the case for C I think One's desire to end the flower's threat was genuine, whether she would have been successful or not. One's brother doesn't show up when Zero is all but defenseless, even though they are at the heart of One's city, because Zero is the only loose end One hasn't tied up yet.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golden Goat posted:

Edit: Having just finished Ending A does anybody know a good place to grind for money?
Desert Payday. Run the first or second mission - where you kill mooks with chakrams - and then beat up the golem, then the gold soldiers. It's better once you have Last Knell, but that's in a chest in Branch C, so just use whatever spear you have that has the multiple-stabby triangle button attack to stunlock the golem.

e: well I'll be damned, the Digital River customer service people must have forwarded the case to the same nice SE customer service people who had my back the first time. Did that other guy ever get his preorder code? I have a spare now. If he doesn't need one, I'll just give it away to someone else here.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 29, 2014

Clandestine
May 31, 2011
Is ending A really linking to Drakengard 1 and 2? From what I've been reading, through supplementary materials or otherwise, ending A only leads into Drakengard 1.3 and the grim dark manga. I was always under the assumption that all the crazy that happens in Drakengard continuity was essentially a combination of all four endings, and Accord screwing with the timelines. Considering I don't have the game yet though, feel free to tell me I'm full of poo poo.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

e: well I'll be damned, the Digital River customer service people must have forwarded the case to the same nice SE customer service people who had my back the first time. Did that other guy ever get his preorder code? I have a spare now. If he doesn't need one, I'll just give it away to someone else here.

See above. I'd like the bonuses, being a broke rear end goon who couldn't shell out the extra bucks for shipping costs, but I'm sure there are others who are far more worthy of your generosity than I am. I'm still not going to shy from throwing my name out there.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
So I just beat Branch B. I'm enjoying this game far more then I ever dreamed, the combat (on ground) is really, really fun. The accord side missions that have recently opened up can go suck a dick, though.

The music for this game is fantastic though. Just as good as, if not better then Nier.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Dito, you needy little gently caress. Why, when I've brought you along literally every mission I could since you joined, are you just now giving me your weapon in Branch B, Verse 4. Cent gave me his weapon at the same time as you, and he's been around for literally a third of the chapters that you have.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Such as this one.

I'm not sure what the deal with that is. I think there's a trigger point you have to pass before theyll fork over the second weapon, because the two in my party both passed over theirs, and the other two did it after the next mission.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Beef Waifu posted:

Everything about the plot and the flow of crazy kind of sucked compared to Drakengard 1. I didn't give a poo poo about anything that happened for almost the entire game up to the first ending. This just cements Nier's place as the best Drakengard.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I hate that they locked all the plot explanation behind out-of-game novellas and extremely overpriced DLC that I will not be buying.
There are so many important story points hidden in the extra material that I'd be surprised if anyone really understood this game without them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Clandestine posted:

See above. I'd like the bonuses, being a broke rear end goon who couldn't shell out the extra bucks for shipping costs, but I'm sure there are others who are far more worthy of your generosity than I am. I'm still not going to shy from throwing my name out there.
Gimme your email address, then. Artix got his finally.

Artix posted:

Dito, you needy little gently caress. Why, when I've brought you along literally every mission I could since you joined, are you just now giving me your weapon in Branch B, Verse 4. Cent gave me his weapon at the same time as you, and he's been around for literally a third of the chapters that you have.
Jeez, you got his in Branch B? What the hell, I didn't get it until Branch C and I definitely never swapped him out. Him and Decadus after C-1 and Cent and Octa after C-2. I thought it was locked until C opened.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Jeez, you got his in Branch B? What the hell, I didn't get it until Branch C and I definitely never swapped him out. Him and Decadus after C-1 and Cent and Octa after C-2. I thought it was locked until C opened.

Could be related to the number of missions you bring him on, I had to redo a couple missions in Branch A because I missed some chests.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I gotta ask: I've played NieR and loved it, but never played Drakengard or any sort of Dynasty Warrior-type games. Is the gameplay good enough to carry the game? Keep in mind I love Deadly Premonition so a good soundtrack and plenty of charm can carry me a very long way through a game.

e: given that I had a similar experience with Nier, I'm glad about this. I mostly want it to be non-obstrusive if I want to get on with the story and have enough stuff to play around with that I don't get bored (the magic in NieR was pretty fun to play around with, even if only half of the spells were really useful in standard gameplay.)

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The gameplay is the worst thing about every game except Drakengard 2 where the characters and story are, but the gameplay is passable. About the best thing you can say about the games that is actually a genuine compliment is that the music is fantastic in every game. These games have very little in the way of relatable characters, a compelling story, or even charm for that matter and their appeal lies in how hosed up things can get and seeing them outdo that.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:37 on May 30, 2014

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I found the gameplay enjoyable enough so as not to negatively impact the game, though some of the side missions were a bit of a pain in the rear end. As long as you make sure to vary what type of weapons you use (I even use Chakram,) as well as the weapons themselves, it keeps from getting tedious. It's the banter between characters and the dialogue of the mooks (Reason enough to keep it on English the entire time), combined with the music that really carries the game, however.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
There's several people in this very thread saying Drakengard 3 is absolute pure gold. Go figure. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
So far as I can tell you have a 50/50 shot of either liking or hating this game. I liked it a lot. You might as well give it a shot.

• Locked thread