Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Allyn posted:

Also in my console killing for all this I actually found that from the 1066 start, the Hashimids are in line to inherit for some reason, and since they're lande in the Fatimids' realm, you'll lose the duchy of Baghdad when the last Abbasid dies. And then when the last Hashimid dies, the Fatimid Caliph inherits. Including the Sunni Caliphate. So he becomes Caliph of both Sunnis and Shias at once. :pwn: One for Darkrenown to flag up, probably :shobon:

Nah, that's just how you mend the schism as a Muslim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm playing as the Umayyads, and I have the Abbasid Caliph as my vassal. I guess I have to strip him of as many titles as possible and fabricate claims on his remaining lands. Then I give him independence and take his poo poo with my strong claims, making him landless and destroying the caliphate. Then I can just reform it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Btw, things like Caliph and Fylkir do count for the too many ducal titles relation penalty right?

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Well my exams are coming to a close so tried out CKII again to see what the autosaving is like in ironman and drat it is seamless. I don't know what they did but Ironman doesn't even stagger to autosave it just continues like autosave isn't on it's glorious.

I've managed to get a shaoshant descendant who's also the descendant of Muhammad and great grandson to Genghis Khan. Does anyone know anyone elses blood I should introduce to my line? I'm trying to get Augustus Caesars blood in there but have been thus far unsuccessful.

Edit to answer ^^^ I believe they do because if I remember rightly I inherited a mercenary band title once and that counted so I presume they do as well. Bare in mind that was a while back so whether they have patched it out I don't know.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Thrasophius posted:

I've managed to get a shaoshant descendant who's also the descendant of Muhammad and great grandson to Genghis Khan. Does anyone know anyone elses blood I should introduce to my line? I'm trying to get Augustus Caesars blood in there but have been thus far unsuccessful.

Definitely should get yourself the blood of Charlemagne, and of Ragnar Lothbrok.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh yes.. He can even become Jewish instead :happyelf:. I tried to work on it but people kept shooting me down with dumb BS like "Islam should only succeed 10% of the time" and "I know you keep saying you just started writing the events but you haven't shown any alternate paths, what gives?" These same people keep advocating for Rome to be easily restored or the Franks should be historically power yet Islam should be a weak heresy with little to no chance of succeeding. I really wanted this mod to succeed.:smith:

What's the first form of Islam when it appears, Sunni or Shia?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Oh yes.. He can even become Jewish instead :happyelf:. I tried to work on it but people kept shooting me down with dumb BS like "Islam should only succeed 10% of the time" and "I know you keep saying you just started writing the events but you haven't shown any alternate paths, what gives?" These same people keep advocating for Rome to be easily restored or the Franks should be historically power yet Islam should be a weak heresy with little to no chance of succeeding. I really wanted this mod to succeed.:smith:
tbf radical militant Judaism sounds like it'd be kind of rad to see. On the other hand, overall that's really dumb, especially the 10% chance thing.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Nah, that's just how you mend the schism as a Muslim.

Yeah, to be horribly glib about it isn't the Muslim schism mostly a succession war that's lasted 1500 years? Solving it by killing everyone until both lines end in the same person is basically peak CK2.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It is hilarious to me that working from a base line of 10% seems appropriate to the modders and I'm sadly inclined to put it down to islamophobia.

Yeah nine out of ten times it'll do nothing, but on the tenth the event will fire that leads to more than half the map being converted, five hundred years of enlightened and relatively advanced, tolerant rule, nations strong enough to chip away at The beloved Byzantines until the Roman Empire finally crumbles into dust, take over all of Spain, North Africa and the levant in a space of time more suitable for a speed run of CK2 and finally spread not just into India but beyond, becoming one of the worlds largest and fastest growing religions that is consistently a presence on the world stage until the present day.

More than anything else in the 500- 1000 AD timeframe, the rise of Islam is vastly important to world history. It may well be THE single most important event in European/Levantine history. It's arguable that without Islam the very Europe we know both historically and in the modern day simply wouldnt exist.

I pity the modder who realises this, that instead of doing a very cool series of events that could be fascinating to play with (and against), a Eurocentric view of history has damned them to hundreds of thousands of new events accompanying a timeline so completely and utterly different to own that it becomes a static and boring Pax Romana

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Yeah, um lmao if your immediate priority in CK2 isn't wiping the scourge of Islam from the map, and thus saving the towers.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if these kind of mods are compatible with Sunset Invasion.

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

I kinda get what they're going for there - the chances of any religion forming as it did historically given hundreds of years of alternate history seem pretty slim - but at the same time unless you've managed to write a procedural way of generating new religions which can be introduced into the game given certain timeframes and events, there's really no better way to do it.

Still, in the event the Byzantine-Sassanid wars never happen, it'd be pretty hard to argue that Islam would've reached anything resembling the heights it achieved. If you set your startdate in 632, things should probably turn out the same way. Still, it seems logical to treat it the same way any other major event invasion is treated - give Muhammad a bunch of troops (as well as Umar, probably) and an invasion CB. Maybe the two empires are strong enough to rebuff Islam, maybe they aren't. Maybe Islam ignores the Sassanids completely and takes over the Byzantines entirely instead.

I don't get the whole '10% chance of founding Islam' thing. I could see weird conditions working (if Mecca is Christian Muhammad doesn't found Islam, maybe), but removing major events because of the butterfly effect means you really can't have any off-screen invasions whatsoever. If we had a comparable mod around 50 BCE-100 CE, I think you'd just suck up the spread of Christianity even if you end up with something bizarre like a resurgent independent Israel.

lenoon posted:

More than anything else in the 500- 1000 AD timeframe, the rise of Islam is vastly important to world history. It may well be THE single most important event in European/Levantine history.

I guess the invention of the kebab means nothing to you.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Munin posted:

Btw, things like Caliph and Fylkir do count for the too many ducal titles relation penalty right?

IIRC, neither one is a duke-level title (I think), so no they wouldn't.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Main Paineframe posted:

IIRC, neither one is a duke-level title (I think), so no they wouldn't.

They're both King level titles, so no. (caliph actually is a special title with no 'rank' so to speak, I believe though it's usually held by a king).

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

DrPop posted:

Can anyone point me to the files that contain the names for titles in different cultures? Specifically, I'm looking to change things like "Duke" and "King" for those with Russian culture to "Knyaz" and "Velikiy Knyaz" and poo poo. That's one of the things I really miss from CK2+, and HIP doesn't do it right IMO.

My immersion :qq:

From a few pages back, but there's a mod on the Workshop that does something similar.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Dallan Invictus posted:

Yeah, to be horribly glib about it isn't the Muslim schism mostly a succession war that's lasted 1500 years? Solving it by killing everyone until both lines end in the same person is basically peak CK2.

Well, it also has to do with the nature of Muslim rulers. The Sunni believed that the "divine" aspect of rule ended with Muhammed; his successors had purely secular authority. The Shi'a thought that, while there could be no more prophets, there could still be those with something like a divine... spark? Glow? I'm not quite sure how to phrase it, but it has significant philosophical implications for how Islam should function. Thus, even if the Shi'a eliminated the major Sunni states, there would be many who would believe that they are committing blasphemy by elevating the Caliph to holy status, and if the Sunni killed off the known descendants of Ali, well, you can always 'discover' a lost scion. I would say that a Sunni-Shi'a reunification is much more more unlikely than mending the Catholic-Orthodox Schism.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Yeah, um lmao if your immediate priority in CK2 isn't wiping the scourge of Islam from the map, and thus saving the towers.
Radical Cathar militants flew a plane into the New Ixtapalca World Trade Center today, killing thousands. Now I'm not racist or anything, Xipil, but those Franks just arent clean people.

occipitallobe posted:

I don't get the whole '10% chance of founding Islam' thing. I could see weird conditions working (if Mecca is Christian Muhammad doesn't found Islam, maybe), but removing major events because of the butterfly effect means you really can't have any off-screen invasions whatsoever. If we had a comparable mod around 50 BCE-100 CE, I think you'd just suck up the spread of Christianity even if you end up with something bizarre like a resurgent independent Israel.

To be entirely fair to the mod guys, the AI in CK2 is really dumb and historical stuff basically never happens unless the game hands out huge piles of event troops to make sure it does. I guess you could give the Rashidun a Ghaznavid- or Seljuk-sized event army and a kingdom conquest CB, but even then the invasion would probably kind of fart out after they took Mesopotamia & the Levant. It would be pretty trivial for a human player as either Byzantium or Persia to sit on them, and even more trivial for a human to blow through the entire world Magyar style with the Rashidun.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 28, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Would it be easy to mod the game so that women can have council posts apart from Spymaster if say they have a stat at 15 or above, and to lead armies if their Martial is 20 or above?

I want to allow exceptional women to do more than just tutor the boys.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Would it be easy to mod the game so that women can have council posts apart from Spymaster if say they have a stat at 15 or above, and to lead armies if their Martial is 20 or above?

That's basically what I want most from new ck2+; they have that planned if you're cognatic. Without the broken gender equality submod.

PrinceRandom fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 28, 2014

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Fairly trivial actually (though not from the confines of a phone)

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

Sex Hobbit posted:

Is it at all really possible to create Israel and/or the Third Temple? I started in Khazaria but barely made it one generation before the Yagbuid Sultanate wrecked my poo poo, and I could see inbreeding getting to be a real problem since that one Jewish county in Africa got wiped out about five years in (I think they're too far away for marriage though).

It's worth mentioning that I suck out loud at this game. Is it me, or is playing as a Jewish dynasty just impossible?

I've only been able to do it once, starting as the Magyars and invading Khazaria with my event troops immediately after creating Hungary to get a nice Jewish concubine. After that I Holy Warred all the way to the Levant, creating some of the ugliest borders I've ever seen in the process. I should've probably waited to convert to Judaism later, because Tribal Invasions would've made rushing to create Israel much quicker.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
I managed it once (just after khazaria was given a big fat stack of cash for mercs). My recommendation is to take some of that merc money and pick a fight with the magyars while they're smallish. Wreck their event troops and they'll lose their war for Hungary. Doomstacks averted, the rest of the tengri lands will be small pickings.

After that, I was mostly opportunistically taking lands off the Byzantines and their orthodox neighbours whenever they had a revolt and parking my chancellor on Constantinople.
Also, trying not to poke the muslims when they're not already fighting other wars.

Things have changed a lot since then, though, so I can't really recommend anything other than neutering the magyars.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Angrymog posted:

You'll want this file:
<dir>\common\job_titles.txt

You'll want to edit the section under allow, specifically this area:
code:
OR = {
	is_female = no
	AND = {
		religion = cathar
		liege = { religion = cathar }
	}
}
pre:
OR = {
	is_female = no
	AND = {
		religion = cathar
	}
	diplomacy = 18
}
For martial in particular, since that also controls who leads armies, and if you want a female ruler to lead an army, you'll also want to insert a is_ruler = yes in there, eg/
pre:
OR = {
	is_female = no
	AND = {
		religion = cathar
	}
	martial = 18
	is_ruler = yes
}
When I did this, I was a bit more restrictive, only letting skilled female relatives of the liege apply:
pre:
AND = {
	diplomacy = 18
	OR = {
		liege = { is_close_relative = FROM }
		liege = { any_child = { spouse = { character = FROM } } }
		liege = { any_sibling = { any_child = { character = FROM } } }
		}
	}
}

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I'm looking for some advice on when I should change my capital, and demesne management in general. Playing as the Hashimids, my capital is currently Mecca, and I have a demesne of ~6 various counties, owning only the top level holding in each. I just took Constantinople through an Invasion of Greece, and I'm considering moving my capital there.

Constantinople has higher tech levels than Mecca across the board, generally by 1-2, with the exception of Military Organization and Legalism. Military Organization and Legalism are behind by 1 and 2, respectively. Legalism I'm not too concerned about, since it would only mean a loss of 1 demesne size and I could rush it back up fairly quickly. Military Organization I'm less sure about. If the loss of tech level would lower my retinue cap below my current retinue size, what happens? My retinue is pretty big, 16k, so I can deal with not being able to grow it for a while, but I don't want to lose any. Am I correct in thinking that it's worth trading the modest loss in Military Organization and Legalism for the increase in so many other technologies?

Demesne wise, I'm not sure what to do. The barons/mayors of Constantinople are all infidels so I could revoke all their titles and own every holding in the County. Would that be more efficient than having just the top-level holding in a number of counties? If I ever become Caliph (inshallah), are there bonuses to personally holding Mecca and Medina? Does the efficiency gain from owning all of the holdings in my capital outweigh the utility of holding a number of counties so that I can give them to my heir, dudes whose claims I want to press, and so on?

Basically I see 3 broad options here, and I'm wondering which is best:

1. Keep my capital in Mecca, change nothing except maybe keeping the top-level holding of Constantinople for myself.

2. Move my capital to Constantinople, but otherwise keep my demesne pretty much as it is.

3. Move my capital to Constantinople, assume control of all holdings there, hand out my other County titles within my realm.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

If I ever become Caliph (inshallah), are there bonuses to personally holding Mecca and Medina?

Yes. If you're a religious head, your religion has an additional 5% moral authority for each holy site you personally control.

If your retinue cap drops you won't lose the excess troops, but they won't replenish beyond the new cap.

One thing to keep in mind is port access. Constantinople has access to the Mediterranean, while Mecca has access to the Red Sea. If you want to go west, then you might want the former so that you can launch ships/mercs from Constantinople into Europe. If you want to go east into India, then Mecca will let you sail there far more conveniently.

I'd suggest moving to Constantinople. The tech advantage is too much, and the Theodosian Walls are useful as a last resort.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 29, 2014

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Bold Robot posted:

1. Keep my capital in Mecca, change nothing except maybe keeping the top-level holding of Constantinople for myself.

2. Move my capital to Constantinople, but otherwise keep my demesne pretty much as it is.

3. Move my capital to Constantinople, assume control of all holdings there, hand out my other County titles within my realm.

You're going to want the entire Duchy of Thrace. You get extra troops from your capital duchy.

Secondly, as the Caliph you only need to hold the holy site in Mecca which is one of the temple holdings. If you want to do this in a way that doesn't anger the duke you place in charge of the area (assuming you take Constantinople's holdings, which is a good idea) create baron vassals for every holding in Mecca apart from the temple holding you need. Then create a count in Mecca. Then give a Duke the other counties in the duchy (I think Mecca is a two-province duchy, I never really play around that area) and the Duchy of Mecca. The count will be mad at you because he doesn't hold the temple holding, but the duke won't be and he's your only direct vassal in the area.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

occipitallobe posted:

Then give a Duke the other counties in the duchy (I think Mecca is a two-province duchy, I never really play around that area) and the Duchy of Mecca.

Mecca actually belongs to the fairly powerful Duchy of Medina (5 counties, 4 coastal counties, 22 holdings, 2 holy sites) but this is still good advice.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

So, sounds like the best move is to move the whole operation to the Duchy of Thrace, hold as many holdings there as I can pull off within the demesne limit, and then get rid of everything back home except for the temple holding in Mecca?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Are there any must-have mods like CK2+ anymore?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

So, sounds like the best move is to move the whole operation to the Duchy of Thrace, hold as many holdings there as I can pull off within the demesne limit, and then get rid of everything back home except for the temple holding in Mecca?

If you need more moral authority, you should also hold on to the temple in Medina.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Yes. If you're a religious head, your religion has an additional 5% moral authority for each holy site you personally control.

Actually you only get 5% for the first one you personally hold, nothing for any beyond that. At least that's how it used to be; I'd be surprised if it's changed though.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Allyn posted:

Actually you only get 5% for the first one you personally hold, nothing for any beyond that. At least that's how it used to be; I'd be surprised if it's changed though.

Oh whoops, it doesn't stack. Take either the Mecca or Medina temple, depending on which is richer.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Doing a viking run right now, been doing fine for the most part.

That being said, is it normal for stacks of guys not involved in the war to attach themselves to a much smaller stack of someone who actually is, and then get around the whole "I'm not hostile or called into the war" thing by just following them around and "Coincidentally joining in"?

Kind of throws off my threat assessment if France can toss their 12K strong retinue onto a 3K lotharinga force, and join in the fights without them counting as being a combattant (And thus, no warscore when I eventually killed them). Fuckers wrecked my own Retinue that way, and I had to get my levies in on what should have been a one county milk run against a dying state :(

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

WYA posted:

Are there any must-have mods like CK2+ anymore?

Viet, which is part of HIP is an excellent mod if you're looking for a straight vanilla extension. The HIP installer lets you decide which mods to install, and if you don't feel like having some of the overhaul-y stuff then you don't have to add them.

If you want more major changes, then the rest of HIP outside of SWMH is about the best you can get from a polish standpoint, and is more like CK2+ before it went to poo poo.

Full overhaul the GoT mod is far and away the best, nothing more to be said here.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

paranoid randroid posted:

Radical Cathar militants flew a plane into the New Ixtapalca World Trade Center today, killing thousands. Now I'm not racist or anything, Xipil, but those Franks just arent clean people.

To be entirely fair to the mod guys, the AI in CK2 is really dumb and historical stuff basically never happens unless the game hands out huge piles of event troops to make sure it does. I guess you could give the Rashidun a Ghaznavid- or Seljuk-sized event army and a kingdom conquest CB, but even then the invasion would probably kind of fart out after they took Mesopotamia & the Levant. It would be pretty trivial for a human player as either Byzantium or Persia to sit on them, and even more trivial for a human to blow through the entire world Magyar style with the Rashidun.

I think you could probably pull it off by having Unschismed Islam start out with Jihads unlocked, and then Sunnis and Shi'ites don't (though you'd need to come up with a good way to delay actually switching people over to them, maybe make it a pair of character traits at first and then later switch it over to being separate religions within Islam.)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I'm fairly certain it's just +5% if you control one or more of them, not +5% each.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Angrymog posted:

Wouldn't that just make it harder to get exceptional women to your court in the first place? Like when you try to matrilineal marry some sweet peice of rear end and his liege is all "But he is our spymaster" and won't seal the deal. The world would be full of highly skilled spinsters.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

paranoid randroid posted:

We'd need to add a Victoria 2 invention:
"western medicine"

Recent advances have shown that the best way to treat epilepsy is Not to remove the brain and rub it with salt!

I'd also then spike up the chance of rebellions (to a very high degree) in certain culture groups just to give at least some distraction to the Byzantines and Sassanids. I think the rise of Islam if you're playing one of the local empires should be a real 'gently caress gently caress duck' moment, just as if you're unprepared for the Aztecs/Golden Horde.

Infact, the Horde is a good analogy. It usually strikes in deep then runs out of steam and fragments. Handling te expansion of the house of the book into the house of the sword (Islam has the best names for places) should just be a fairly simple horde style implementation.

Infact, if you really wanted to keep exactly the same mechanics for Muslim rulers as in the current unmodded game, the invasion CB works well. The piety requirement is very steep, at least for the AI, but a temporary event trait - let's say "knew the prophet" on the key leaders and higher level vassals that allows them to generate piety at a very high rate would be enough.

To counter the ability of human players to paint the world green with this set up, I'd probably make the trait non-playable or something similar? Aside from that, why not make it easy? It's arguably just luck and some battles that spiked the warscore in our own time that stopped the expansion at the Pyrenees!

lenoon fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 29, 2014

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I just had the spawn of satan event chain happen in my game!

My merchant republic game...

RIP Satan, you died of poor health in your thirties before I could rig an election for you. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabu
Feb 11, 2004

There are no heroes left in man

Alectai posted:

That being said, is it normal for stacks of guys not involved in the war to attach themselves to a much smaller stack of someone who actually is, and then get around the whole "I'm not hostile or called into the war" thing by just following them around and "Coincidentally joining in"?

Kind of throws off my threat assessment if France can toss their 12K strong retinue onto a 3K lotharinga force, and join in the fights without them counting as being a combattant (And thus, no warscore when I eventually killed them). Fuckers wrecked my own Retinue that way, and I had to get my levies in on what should have been a one county milk run against a dying state :(

It's normal but very annoying. It's a bug(?) that's been in the game since attaching was first added.

I'm only actually at war with 399 of those men.

• Locked thread