Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

No Pun Intended posted:

My credit card slipped and accidentally purchased a copy of Jugula and 2 packs of cards :shrug:.

Isn't it weird when things like that happen? I just noticed a receipt for an order of samurai generals from Steel Fist Miniatures. The only explanation I can imagine is that my wife did it. Because it can definitely not be me who ordered more miniatures, I clearly haven't painted all that I already own. So it's impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Jugula and Cross and Crescent are both on my list as soon as I find them in stock.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Jugula seems incredibly cool. Has anyone here gotten games in? I'm curious how the Career Mode works out in practice.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Weirdly having bought everything pretty much that Studio Tomahawk have done, and being a massive fan of Roman history, Jugula has passed me by.
I did run a campaign of Red Sand Blue Sky a couple of years back and have a dozen or so gladiator minis all painted up and ready to go. Should give it a look. Might be a game my son could play with me.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Maybe we can adapt it for zombies!

Got a game day in today, played Axis & Allies and the old Wings of War with one of my reenacting buddies. I thought it was fitting for Memorial Day.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Well, time to relax and plan my next painting project for next month. Probably gonna be some PaKs. Was going to do French or P.IIINs, but I ordered those over a month ago from my LGS and have seen neither (no, I have not paid for them). Not sure if I should risk ordering from BF direct, TheWarStore, or just eBay it.

Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and buy some Bolt Action instead, who knows. Or jump on this Jugula band wagon, it sounds like it could be a fun game to introduce downtown.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
If you do decide to try Bolt Action, stay away from the early plastic infantry sets (late war Germans, Americans, Brits). They're super fiddly and not worth the effort.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I can't recommend Wargames Factory stuff enough for WWII plastics. They're truescale and realistically proportioned, but this makes them a bit fragile and fiddly to assemble. On the other hand, they're $22 for ~30 figures and bases, which is about as good a deal as you can get.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

How are their necks?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The necks aren't bad. They're sculpted onto the heads with a flat joint - much better than their early dark ages / Viking line. Some heads don't work with some bodies, and it's not terribly obvious until you've built a few.

I painted a ton of them for last Oath season here, and used extra bits to up-detail and convert some PSC plastics. (Plastic Soldier made all of one 28mm line, with really soft detail but they were somehow even cheaper.)

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004

Swagger Dagger posted:

Jugula seems incredibly cool. Has anyone here gotten games in? I'm curious how the Career Mode works out in practice.

Haven't got the games in yet, but some read them front to back a few times and I am also excited to get it on the table.
Did some speculative shopping for gladiator minis and got selections for 3-4 companies. So far Crusader minis are in the lead, and I am going to go with them. For cost-availablity-sculpt they seem to be the best for me (I am buying for 4 players, if just buying for myself I might go with the Gripping beast ones, they were my second choice, but due to needing to get about 30 guys for a four person campaign, the $70 of crusader beat out the $300 dollars of Gripping beast)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I'm actually painting things!

Base colors are pretty much done, just need to do the rifle stocks. Then the detail and camo pattern, some washing and highlighting, and then basing!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Ropes4u posted:

I have been considering hitting the local (2 hour drive) bolt action group to see if I would like this game.

Do you think there is some longevity to the game? I have not played a miniatures game and this one looks affordable.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. It is published by Osprey so I think it'll definitely have legs, and warlord seems to have their poo poo together.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Even if Bolt Action winks out of existence tomorrow, if you build a reasonably close-to-historical platoon you'll be able to use that army in plenty of other games.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

muggins posted:

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. It is published by Osprey so I think it'll definitely have legs, and warlord seems to have their poo poo together.

Thank you, I was being patient .:)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

The vikings are coming (it's time for some SAGA baby)

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Me and my buddies are going to play our first real Black Powder Napoleonic game sometime this week. It'll be the Austrians and British against my French. The main rulebook suggests First Fire for the British infantry and some rule about attack columns for the French to make their units more unique. Anyone have any suggestions for the Austrian infantry? He'll be fielding Fusiliers and Landwher infantry.

Also are the Napoleonic expansion books for Black Powder worth getting?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Flippycunt posted:

Me and my buddies are going to play our first real Black Powder Napoleonic game sometime this week. It'll be the Austrians and British against my French. The main rulebook suggests First Fire for the British infantry and some rule about attack columns for the French to make their units more unique. Anyone have any suggestions for the Austrian infantry? He'll be fielding Fusiliers and Landwher infantry.

Also are the Napoleonic expansion books for Black Powder worth getting?

Ooh I know this because we played Austrians v French.

We made the Landwher large units and unreliable. They didn't have the best commanders at regimental level and they fielded large units than other nations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Well, time to relax and plan my next painting project for next month. Probably gonna be some PaKs. Was going to do French or P.IIINs, but I ordered those over a month ago from my LGS and have seen neither (no, I have not paid for them). Not sure if I should risk ordering from BF direct, TheWarStore, or just eBay it.

Maybe I'll finally bite the bullet and buy some Bolt Action instead, who knows. Or jump on this Jugula band wagon, it sounds like it could be a fun game to introduce downtown.

Hey YF19! You won the "Tiny Troops" prize for completing an oath in a smaller scale than 25mm in the last oath thread. So you qualify for a piece of terrain that I will paint up for you or even scratch build. Congratulations!

It seems you play Flames of War, would you like something for WW2 (in which theater?), or something else?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

lilljonas posted:

Hey YF19! You won the "Tiny Troops" prize for completing an oath in a smaller scale than 25mm in the last oath thread. So you qualify for a piece of terrain that I will paint up for you or even scratch build. Congratulations!

It seems you play Flames of War, would you like something for WW2 (in which theater?), or something else?

I don't know, I'd almost feel like picking from your stock just as an excuse to start collecting 6mm Samurai. I was on a bent recently reading up on the late 16th century invasions of Korea and that might be something pretty cool to try. Granted, there's a few self-described 'otaku' who play FoW and other miniatures, one of whom tried to start an argument with me about the merits of 'traditional' Japanese music versus Peter Frampton. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing for having a player base ready to go.

Eh, WWII would probably be the best, it'll take me forever to make up my mind about it, but even if you just send me something random, it'll be cool. My armies are mostly centered on the North African and Italian fronts, but anything Euro-centric would fall in line with the current theme of things.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Got the basic camo done, and rifle stocks too. The flash washes some detail out, but you can't see the camo without it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

I don't know, I'd almost feel like picking from your stock just as an excuse to start collecting 6mm Samurai. I was on a bent recently reading up on the late 16th century invasions of Korea and that might be something pretty cool to try. Granted, there's a few self-described 'otaku' who play FoW and other miniatures, one of whom tried to start an argument with me about the merits of 'traditional' Japanese music versus Peter Frampton. Not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing for having a player base ready to go.

Eh, WWII would probably be the best, it'll take me forever to make up my mind about it, but even if you just send me something random, it'll be cool. My armies are mostly centered on the North African and Italian fronts, but anything Euro-centric would fall in line with the current theme of things.

If you want to, I could send a bunch of buildings and a grab-bag of various 6mm samurai that I have laying around. Then you could try out if you like painting them. Or I could go with the WW2 route as well, I haven't tried making WW2 terrain so it would be a new challenge for me.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

lilljonas posted:

If you want to, I could send a bunch of buildings and a grab-bag of various 6mm samurai that I have laying around. Then you could try out if you like painting them. Or I could go with the WW2 route as well, I haven't tried making WW2 terrain so it would be a new challenge for me.

You know what, that's really freaking awesome of you to offer that, and truly was the furthest thing in my mind to ask something like that. I'll go ahead and pick the grab-bag for my prize, but if it's cool with you and you're wanting to try your hand at WW2 terrain, I will offer to commission that piece. There is a lot in WW2, so I will let you pick the theater, because honestly it'll work regardless.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Dirt Worshipper posted:

The vikings are coming (it's time for some SAGA baby)

Those look amazing! Great job.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you, I was being patient .:)

They also have a Tank War and D-Day expansions or campaign packs planned. They're on Amazon is you're looking for info. Gonna play this weekend, hope to get in a battle report.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

muggins posted:

They also have a Tank War and D-Day expansions or campaign packs planned. They're on Amazon is you're looking for info. Gonna play this weekend, hope to get in a battle report.

Please post the battle report

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Figures, I complain about how long it's taking to get what I ordered from my LGS and everything comes in at once today. $150 for Americans in Kepi hats (LW French), Panzers, and fancy plastic bases.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I posted this in the KS thread, but I don't know how many of you frequent that, and I thought this project might be a good fit for some of you.

If anyone is interested in 10mm historicals or Warmaster, my friend is currently running a KS for 10mm Landsknechte with Greatswords sculpted by Bob Naismith. Though the photos shows individual models, they're actually going to be on two-man strips, similar to some of the Warmaster troops. I just thought this was a good photo to show some of the character of the models.

It's not a huge KS, nor do you get tons of free poo poo (well, none really) but it would be nice to see him at least recoup his costs on getting these models created. If you have any questions, let me know and I'll pass them on (though it's pretty self explanatory.)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

The local group are talking about trying out early (up to 1941) WW2 skirmish using Chain of Command. It seems that everything is covered already miniatures wise, except for ze German Panzers. I've volunteered to build a 1:48 scale kit or three, but I know very little about the actual weaponry and equipment of WW2. I've been told that I can't that wrong with the normal Panzer I-IV, but are there any German vehicles that I really should keep an eye out? I'm thinking about vehicles that are both fun to put together and paint, and that are suitable for a platoon level skirmish game.

E: looking around on Model kits uk, I realized that I love the German armoured cars in general. Like the Sd.Kfz. 222 and the Sd Kfz 234/2 Puma. If possible I'd rather use plastic model kits rather than resin and metal kits, because I'm not so impressed by the latter.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 1, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

lilljonas posted:

The local group are talking about trying out early (up to 1941) WW2 skirmish using Chain of Command. It seems that everything is covered already miniatures wise, except for ze German Panzers. I've volunteered to build a 1:48 scale kit or three, but I know very little about the actual weaponry and equipment of WW2. I've been told that I can't that wrong with the normal Panzer I-IV, but are there any German vehicles that I really should keep an eye out? I'm thinking about vehicles that are both fun to put together and paint, and that are suitable for a platoon level skirmish game.

E: looking around on Model kits uk, I realized that I love the German armoured cars in general. Like the Sd.Kfz. 222 and the Sd Kfz 234/2 Puma.

Nothing wrong with running a Panzer I, II, or even a Panzer 35(t) or 38(t). Ironically, in the early part of the war, it was the Czech built 38(t) that was held in highest regards by the German panzer crews. Could also go with a Sd.Kfz. 221 (the MG version of the 222) or an 8-rad. Not sure how I'd feel about having a PIII or PIV in that setup though. Of course, you also have the StuG A, the 15cm sIG33 auf Panzer I, or any flavor of AA trucks just to be mean about things.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

At platoon level an armoured car is an excellent bit of support. Also if it's German early war, then the Panzer 38(t) or the Panzer III Ausf. F would be good tanks to look for.

Also, have some T-34s I painted for my May oath:

I need to be careful with the varnish on flesh, it darkens it too much. Looks okay from a tabletop view though so chalk it up as a learning experience I guess.

Forums Terrorist fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 1, 2014

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the input. This Sd.Kfz 232 kit looks really fun, and I like the idea of having recon vehicles that are protected from small arms fire but still not too strong.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/tamiya_sd_kfz_232_heavy_armored_plastic_model_military_vehicle_kit_1:48_scale_32574

You just don't get those details on a resin kit.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

E: looking around on Model kits uk, I realized that I love the German armoured cars in general. Like the Sd.Kfz. 222 and the Sd Kfz 234/2 Puma. If possible I'd rather use plastic model kits rather than resin and metal kits, because I'm not so impressed by the latter.

The 222 looks awesome. In terms of fun vehicles, there are always halftracks. The Kettenkrad is especially adorable. The Pz35(t) and Pz38(t) are excellent light tanks that look like bolted together boxes with no regard for aesthetics that are cool looking in a brutalist way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Warlord Games has been making some really nice 1/56 stuff for Bolt Action. The detail is a bit less than you'd get in 1/48, but IMO the tradeoff is worth it. (I'm more bothered by oversized vehicles than underdetailed ones.)

Their webstore is a bit counter-intuitive, but this link should filter to show you all the resin German kits.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Are you in the US? If so I'd recommend ordering through an eBay dealer like NWS. Ordering from Warlord can be very unreliable and costly.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Are you in the US? If so I'd recommend ordering through an eBay dealer like NWS. Ordering from Warlord can be very unreliable and costly.

Nah, I'm in Sweden. So I'm shafted when it comes to postage no matter which way. :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Dirt Worshipper posted:

How so? I've never had a problem.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I've made two Warlord orders direct, and both went through fine. One was pretty big, and the other was a single blister. International shipping is terrible, but that's not really their fault.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I had two orders in a row never show up, though their mail order department did try and fix things. It's good to hear I'm the exception though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
2/2 orders went through fine here one the west coast of Canada. The sprue sale was a great chance to pick some piecemeal stuff I wasn't sure about getting in a set of 40. I already had a box of Romans, but the veterans command sprue adds some extra heads and bits to customize my army.