Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Serperoth posted:

And legalizing the ONS fetches would be very confusing. Modern's much more easily defined as "any card that's printed in the new border in an actual set". Changing that to "any card that's printed in the new border in an actual set, PLUS those five cards that haven't" can lead to confusion, such as "Why those five and not Stifle or Sliver Overlord?". Making Modern start from ONS rather than 8th Ed does have merit though, but still not the most graspable thing to a newer player.

It's pretty confusing as is a lot of the time.
My favorite card to cast is Tempest Choke. There's a 50/50 chance someone calls me out for playing a non-modern legal card. Plus, I freaking hate blue in modern, and Choke is so funny to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alaan posted:

That is ALSO not the rule. The rule is a specific list of sets + a ban list.

The frame is just an easy way to think about it.

That's just a semantic distinction because every set beyond Eighth Edition is on that list.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

That's just a semantic distinction because every set beyond Eighth Edition is on that list.

I think I meshed you and your quoted post when I was reading it and you had one of the ludicrous legality guides listed. WOOPS.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I feel lucky to have played at a really great store called Iguana's Comic Book Cafe where they had Bring Your Own Block constructed a few times. You get to pick 1 each of any 1st, 2nd, and 3rd set of a block and use cards from those sets. I played monogreen control - Urza's Saga + Visions + Urza's Destiny. Rofellos + Priest of Titania + Plow Under + Natural Order + Thorn Elemental goodness.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

A Moose posted:

So, I just started MTGO pretty much just to play Pauper. I decided to go with Tron because it looked like fun, what kind of match-ups are common? Also is there a tutorial about triggers and stuff? And are the New Player phantom drafts worth doing at all?

You can check out the decks winning events here: http://www.mtgpulse.com/events-pauper

Most common decks at the moment (I feel) are mono-u and mono-b control, tron and affinity. Infect/hexproof + enchantments and burn seem to be around a lot. I don't think I've played against storm in a while but it is probably still around. There's a axebane guardian/freed from real combo deck kicking about but I haven't played a good list of it yet. The familiar combo deck is a real thing that is pretty annoying if you don't know when to disrupt.

I don't know about tutorials, but remember that you can right click on the phases down the bottom and set auto-stops etc.

I'm not sure how many of the archetypes I have the cards for right now but I'd be happy to (badly) play some match-ups with you once you get the hang of the client.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

vOv posted:

Legalize the ONS fetches and then reprint them in a supplemental product, problem solved.

So double the exception. Cool that makes sense and doesn't go against how formats are defined at all.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Alaan posted:

They've outright said there isn't a lot of design space in dual lands, so fetches helps with that problem AND making Modern land bases not require selling a kidney. (and a tiny bit of help to legacy)

If they were to reprint fetches in the fall set instead of the core set they'd need to print 10+ rare lands or block would have the worst mana of all-time. I know people generally don't give a poo poo about block but it's a pro tour format. So really the lack of design space in rare lands is still a problem even if you do reprint fetches.

If they want to reprint the manlands or print enemy color manlands to supplement fetches though sign me up right now.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Fetches are going to be reprinted so this is kind of a pointless discussion.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

If they were to reprint fetches in the fall set instead of the core set they'd need to print 10+ rare lands or block would have the worst mana of all-time. I know people generally don't give a poo poo about block but it's a pro tour format. So really the lack of design space in rare lands is still a problem even if you do reprint fetches.

This isn't personal against you, but I have to laugh when I see anyone (often it's pros) complaining in this day and age about block manabases. Oh no we only have a complete cycle of ten duals and a City of Brass equivalent, how will we ever play 2 colors :qq: That's basically exactly what most Standards looked like before Ravnica 1.0 and subsequent blocks sent mana off the rails, and amazingly people still managed to make 2-color decks work, and there was also more of an actual pressure incentivizing single-color decks that didn't require beating people over the head with a keyword ability.

Like I always say, I get that the ship has pretty much permanently sailed when it comes to full insane manabases in Modern or Standard, but people (again, not you personally) could at least not :reject: so hard when they occasionally have to play a format where mana is challenging.

vvv sorry, I'll edit it if that's a sticking point.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 29, 2014

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

JerryLee posted:

full retard

Don't do this.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

JerryLee posted:

This isn't personal against you, but I have to laugh when I see anyone (often it's pros) complaining in this day and age about block manabases. Oh no we only have a complete cycle of ten duals and a City of Brass equivalent, how will we ever play 2 colors :qq: That's basically exactly what most Standards looked like before Ravnica 1.0 and subsequent blocks sent mana off the rails, and amazingly people still managed to make 2-color decks work, and there was also more of an actual pressure incentivizing single-color decks that didn't require beating people over the head with a keyword ability.

Man, Oddysey block mana; iirc, the winning deck in the block PT had ran something like 24 basics and one tarnished citadel in a 2 color deck.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

JerryLee posted:

Like I always say, I get that the ship has pretty much permanently sailed when it comes to full insane manabases in Modern or Standard, but people (again, not you personally) could at least not :reject: so hard when they occasionally have to play a format where mana is challenging.

vvv sorry, I'll edit it if that's a sticking point.

Actually the bad mana in block more often than not leads to three color decks being the rule of the day, two color decks are edged out by not being able to consistently play spells on their crucial turns. I am not asking for 3-5 color good stuff monstrosities and when the mana is bad more often than not that ends up being what gets played, especially if all of the good fixing is in green and a lot of good cards having double or triple mana symbols in their cost.

edit: It's especially bad with this block thanks to Caryatid and Courser both being really good for fixing and having huge butts, which edges out the mono red deck you'd normally see to punish the three color stuff.

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 29, 2014

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Reprint Fetches and Wasteland. Done.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Does anyone know what the next MOCS promo is on MTGO? For once I might actually have the time to grind the points out to get it. I checked their site and it still says the current promo is Bayou and the next is TBD.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
reprint dual lands instead of fetches

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

reprint dual lands instead of fetches

And Wasteland!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I was going to say 'reprint Sorrow's Path' but it's on the reserved list.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Reprint Duck Faygo.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rabidsquid posted:

Actually the bad mana in block more often than not leads to three color decks being the rule of the day, two color decks are edged out by not being able to consistently play spells on their crucial turns. I am not asking for 3-5 color good stuff monstrosities and when the mana is bad more often than not that ends up being what gets played, especially if all of the good fixing is in green and a lot of good cards having double or triple mana symbols in their cost.

edit: It's especially bad with this block thanks to Caryatid and Courser both being really good for fixing and having huge butts, which edges out the mono red deck you'd normally see to punish the three color stuff.

Still. Looking back a decade or so, there were several blocks with block pro tours where the winning deck and/or a significant percentage of the decks were mono- or dual-colored. Invasion (this is iffy since people naturally tried more 3-color decks once Apocalypse came out, but still), Odyssey, Onslaught, Mirrodin, Time Spiral, Lorwyn to an extent (though there wasn't a Pro Tour from what I can gather).

A hypothesis that occurs to me is that we've hit a point now where the fixing in Block is good enough that people can actually play 3+ colors fairly easily. Seriously. PT AVR had the enemy colored duals, plus Cavern of Souls (almost better than Mana Confluence in many of the decks), Evolving Wilds, plus green fixing. PT DGM, you had eight duals per color pair, plus mana rocks if you were that desperate. And Theros block offers a pretty stiff incentive in the form of letting you (usefully) play up to twelve scry lands rather than four. The fixing is there to make 3-color decks the best choice, as you point out, yet it still doesn't measure up to the inflated standard set by most Standard mana, let alone other formats; so you have this situation where people piss and moan about the bad mana even as they come to the conclusion that 3-color decks are best.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
Anyone have recommendations for sites with contributors who post good video content (mainly drafts, be it block, cube, flashback, etc.. as well as oddball constructed brews)? I'm getting a little tired of the same old cast of characters on CFB, SCG, and TCGPlayer and am happy to check out lesser known players posting quality content.

moravec
Apr 24, 2007

The fourth law of robots is screw you, I'm outta here.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Anyone have recommendations for sites with contributors who post good video content (mainly drafts, be it block, cube, flashback, etc.. as well as oddball constructed brews)? I'm getting a little tired of the same old cast of characters on CFB, SCG, and TCGPlayer and am happy to check out lesser known players posting quality content.

MTGOAcademy, mainly for Simon's and Marshall's drafts (at least, that's what I watch).

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Does anyone know what the next MOCS promo is on MTGO? For once I might actually have the time to grind the points out to get it. I checked their site and it still says the current promo is Bayou and the next is TBD.

I'm pretty sure the next one is Gaea's Cradle.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

BaronVonVaderham posted:

It's Gaea's Cradle. You can see it here.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Print Vintage Masters irl. Let the world burn.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Our conspiracy preview for the night: New art for Howling Wolf in the Arcana section, and the Duel Deck Mortify is also in the set.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Damon Fargo

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Morally Inept. I mean Dog Fucker

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
News about Grand Prix byes: byes will be awarded based on yearly Planeswalker Points total, and three-round byes based on Planeswalker Points will no longer be offered.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Applebees posted:

News about Grand Prix byes: byes will be awarded based on yearly Planeswalker Points total, and three-round byes based on Planeswalker Points will no longer be offered.

Well that's pretty nutso.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

mango sentinel posted:

Print Vintage Masters irl. Let the world burn.

Print it double sized.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Print it double sized.

I'd get a full set and cube it.

Mulletstation
May 9, 2004

mo' mullets mo' problems

Dr. Stab posted:

Print it double sized.

Print it at 101% size.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mulletstation posted:

Print it at 101% size.

Print it at normal size, make it tournament legal and just laugh and laugh when hoarders complain.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Stumbled upon this on tumblr today.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warscale/wooden-deck-boxes-for-trading-card-games

Fits a Commander deck as well, and a couple of those trays would look neat at a gaming store or the like (if at a place that has 'shared' decks. The snugness does concern me somewhat, however.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Angry Grimace posted:

Print it at normal size, make it tournament legal and just laugh and laugh when hoarders complain.

Hoarders: The only people who care about Magic single prices.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Angry Grimace posted:

"THIS SEEMS LIKE A GREAT TIME FOR RESERVED LIST CHAT!" -Nobody, ever.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Toshimo posted:

No you see the Reserved List only prevents functional reprints, not if something minor has changed, so that obviously means Khans will include all ten fetches AND all ten Snow-Covered duals, it's obvious, that's what the REAL conspiracy is! :tinfoil:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Print lands that tap for two colors of mana and make target creature fight another target creature. Call them duel lands.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Toshimo posted:

Really? Not a fan of this stale, decrepit argument? No room for any more "reprint everything lol monkey cheese" posts? I think we might have the space for a few more posters to not understand the issue at large, oversimplify any relevant points, and then still come to a wrong and probably legally pants on head retarded conclusion about the whole debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

• Locked thread