Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Tetracube posted:

The item codes being released recently really shows. 1/3 of the people I've invaded have used the seed of a tree of giants and I'm now getting invaded by redbros every five minutes instead of bluecops.

Item codes and item copying have been available since more than a month ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Genocyber posted:

I believe that was a 54' run by Noobest.

Didn't he still skip the Shrine of Winter with the pathing glitch?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The fastest runs that don't use any glitches seem to be just over an hour (getting 1M souls is apparently quicker than doing the 4 bosses).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The fastest runs that don't use any glitches seem to be just over an hour (getting 1M souls is apparently quicker than doing the 4 bosses).
Yeah, you just ascetic Rotten or OIK for the one million soul requirement instead of going all over the place to take out the big four.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Makes sense but it seems pretty boring.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

The All Bosses runs are more interesting to be honest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ekster posted:

Yeah, speed runs that do the same things that I do but much faster and better are always the most interesting.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I generally prefer skill speedruns but bug exploit ones can be pretty crazy and fun to watch

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
I mean, at this point, most of the all-boss speed runs are just dudes spamming hexes at bosses. In my opinion that's not as interesting as watching someone take the game to its absolute limits and show off the inner workings of the game a bit by totally ripping it apart. It certainly depends on the game though, DkS2 any% speedruns aren't quite at the Pokemon Yellow level, where I think the fastest run is literally 0:00 because you can use a save glitch to skip to the credits in that game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Ekster posted:

I don't think all bosses is that much greater, since it's largely just a GRS montage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Nahxela posted:

I don't think all bosses is that much greater, since it's largely just a GRS montage.

It's not the boss fights I like in an all boss run, it's seeing how much they get through the actual levels. I can sometimes learn things I'd actually use from that kind of run, rather than finding out where a specific wall-glitch works.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

El Golden Goose posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but this happened today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1xz1-ywFM

Dark Souls 2 has been broken

Duping bug 15 minutes in too, was that known? First time I hear about it.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Yeah, it's been known prior to this recent glitch.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not the boss fights I like in an all boss run, it's seeing how much they get through the actual levels. I can sometimes learn things I'd actually use from that kind of run, rather than finding out where a specific wall-glitch works.
There are a couple of neat jumps, like ember jump, the giant tree jump, aerie jump, etc, but that's a small fraction of the entire run. The rest of it is just running past a lot of things and minimizing encounters, which isn't particularly interesting or revolutionary to me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Duping's been around for a while, yeah. Not a huge thing given there's no real economy in the game.

Nahxela posted:

There are a couple of neat jumps, like ember jump, the giant tree jump, aerie jump, etc, but that's a small fraction of the entire run. The rest of it is just running past a lot of things and minimizing encounters, which isn't particularly interesting or revolutionary to me.
I'm still more interested in that than running around outside the level, but it's a personal preference thing and clearly a lot of people like that kind of speed run.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Encountered my first hacker today, so that was fun. In the Earthen Keep at around 500K~ SM, guy had infinite health and tons of stamina. As expected though, really really awful. Sadly he eventually killed me, (my plan was to dodge his attacks until the invasion timer ran out, he was that bad) guess I got sloppy. Thought about trying to knock him off a ledge but that probably would have ruined my SM and I was co-oping with a friend.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I have work in 3 hours... why did I just stay up fighting the same gargoyles for 5 hours straight? I wound up beating them with a two-handed shield, I bumped them all to death.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Gargolyes are more akin to the 4 Kings than to the gargolyes from dks1, most of the challenge is a dps race to avoid having to fight 4-6 at once. I really hate that they put a ring as useful/important as the gold serpent +2 on the intensity 2 version. I usually end up trying to get a phantom for it since I try and get the serpent ring with the first ascetic of a given run, but they usually die tragically. Best advice I can give if you want to do it with a build that doesn't have a good ranged solution is to use urns, since they have an aoe blast and the gargs usually end up stacked up on each other (I like holy water, but one of the others might work better).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Uh, guys?

Recent Dark Souls II Changes Added posted:

Dark Souls II - DLC 1 Depot
Dark Souls II - DLC 2 Depot
Dark Souls II - DLC 3 Depot

The DLC we have is known as DLC 5. What is this now?

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 10:01 on May 29, 2014

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The gargoyles don't spawn over time, they appear at certain points in the boss's total health bar. You want to only damage 1 at a time so that you won't activate more gargoyles. If you stick to one gargoyle at a time you should never have to fight more than 3 at once. AOE attacks are a bad idea unless you think you can kill them all that quickly.

Tetracube posted:

The item codes being released recently really shows. 1/3 of the people I've invaded have used the seed of a tree of giants and I'm now getting invaded by redbros every five minutes instead of bluecops.

This would explain why I've been invaded in NG about 8 times now after being told how rare it is. The last time was when I was just going to infuse something with McDuff, an area where I'd already killed all the bosses. It's incredibly stupid that being hollow and killing bosses makes no difference in whether you can be invaded now. Once people start doing this regularly the only way to be invasion-safe will be to burn effigies, ie shut off online completely.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 29, 2014

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

If there's a duping bug, can you dupe Petrified Dragon Bones? gently caress farming this nonsense.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Have to CE it.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

FlyinPingu posted:

If there's a duping bug, can you dupe Petrified Dragon Bones? gently caress farming this nonsense.

The duping exploit in that speedrun video seemed to involve getting the item out of your inventory before the use animation finished, so who knows if it would even apply to upgrade materials.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?

TheRagamuffin posted:

The duping exploit in that speedrun video seemed to involve getting the item out of your inventory before the use animation finished, so who knows if it would even apply to upgrade materials.

It has to be something you can both use and drop, neither of which applies to any upgrade material.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Does anyone know how substantial the boost to Poison damage is with Dex? Could I easily shift over to a Poison build/set of equipment even if my stats are geared towards Strength/Faith?

Edit: Given how little attributes seem to matter in most cases of scaling, I think it probably wouldn't matter that much at all. One or two poison attacks more to proc the poison, if that.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 11:04 on May 29, 2014

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
I'm starting to think I should just not bother defending myself against dark spirits for the time being. My previous invader ended up giving me several million souls and royally loving up my SM on my new character.

The cheat engine makes me sad.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I see youre still a cheating little prick Tallgeese. Doesnt keep you from blowing up yourself with a barrel.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Zero Initiative posted:

I'm starting to think I should just not bother defending myself against dark spirits for the time being. My previous invader ended up giving me several million souls and royally loving up my SM on my new character.

The cheat engine makes me sad.

Well, that's something. I suppose offline it until you get your desired pvp build before going online again, if that's a goal.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

I see youre still a cheating little prick Tallgeese. Doesnt keep you from blowing up yourself with a barrel.

Honestly, I have to say that it's silly to get so mad at a video game.

As an aside, I certainly could prevent that if I changed my Wrath of God's damage to pure physical like Licia's. This said, the occasional "I forgot that was there, ha!" is too entertaining to give up.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 29, 2014

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Glad to see there will always be socially retarded goons in the threads for multiplayer games.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm beginning to feel that backstabs, after a certain point, aren't worth it. Maybe it's because I'm wielding big fuckoff spears and greatswords rather than daggers, but I feel like a backstab takes off less than a comparatively easier to land frontal combo does.

Zombies magazine
Oct 17, 2005

Firmly grasp the :kazooieass:

El Golden Goose posted:

Don't know if anyone's posted this yet, but this happened today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq1xz1-ywFM

Dark Souls 2 has been broken

This is my new favorite speedrun. This game is brand new and this guy breaks it like it's Mario 64 or something.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I'm beginning to feel that backstabs, after a certain point, aren't worth it. Maybe it's because I'm wielding big fuckoff spears and greatswords rather than daggers, but I feel like a backstab takes off less than a comparatively easier to land frontal combo does.

Spears should be quite good for backstabs - halberds are at least, and have a fantastic animation for it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
The animation is very cool, it's just that a single backstab takes off maybe 60-80% of an enemy's health, but the animation is so long and clumsy that in that time I could just hit the guy twice from the front and kill him that way, and have enough time left over to slice up another guy or two rather than open myself up to a stagger combo coming out of the backstab animation. It leads me to actively avoid backstabbing enemies later in the game, which is hella weird.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

VodeAndreas posted:

Spears should be quite good for backstabs - halberds are at least, and have a fantastic animation for it.

What he's really saying is that the effort required to kill someone via backstab is a bit higher than simply killing them from the front.

Due to that little "shove" animation you have to finish to execute the stab, assuming lag is not in your favor I'm inclined to agree.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

killstealing posted:

Glad to see there will always be socially retarded goons in the threads for multiplayer games.

Yeah I know, complaining about cheaters in a multiplayer game? What a retard, cool guys cheat, brag about their cheating and go "U mad?" if someone calls them out on it

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Small and Blue posted:

Yeah I know, complaining about cheaters in a multiplayer game? What a retard, cool guys cheat, brag about their cheating and go "U mad?" if someone calls them out on it

He was agreeing with you. Your ire is misdirected.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I don't think Tallgeese's hacked barrel is upsetting the delicate Dark Souls PvP balance.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't think Tallgeese's hacked barrel is upsetting the delicate Dark Souls PvP balance.

I somehow doubt wearing a barrel was what caused Frickenmoron to complain about his cheating.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I really do have to figure out a good title.

Barrel King Tallgeese? Tallgeese of Barrolia? The possibilities are endless.

EDIT: I just ran into a King Rendal cosplay who was all "What the hell is this?!" and just stood there staring with binocs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

The animation is very cool, it's just that a single backstab takes off maybe 60-80% of an enemy's health, but the animation is so long and clumsy that in that time I could just hit the guy twice from the front and kill him that way, and have enough time left over to slice up another guy or two rather than open myself up to a stagger combo coming out of the backstab animation. It leads me to actively avoid backstabbing enemies later in the game, which is hella weird.

Ah, I get where you're coming from. One of the reasons I liked backstabs was it seems to get around the durability issue at times, whereas the overhead chops from the Mastodon Halberd seem to wear it down faster when it clips into the ground.

With lots of strength scaling and the blade ring backstabbing was still a one shotting guys for me through NG+, but too risky with multiple enemies as you say.