Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I'm sat here grinning like an idiot. I'll be drinking in your honour tonight dude!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
With blacksworda moving on, who will take his place as 'guy with the shittiest job'? Someone always rises to take the mantle. Will it be you?

I'm excited and horrified to find out!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Race Realists posted:

Curious. Any IT support guys here in Georgia? What's it like?

should i be scared?

I work in IT in higher ed in Georgia (Atlanta).

If you want to know more about general IT around here, PM me and we can chit-chat about it.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Or a security vuln did. Either/or.

CVE-2014-3445 posted:

Where “a” is the file number to back up and “k” is the MD5key used to authenticate the administrator, however if “k” does not match the correct key rather than disallowing the unauthenticated user to back up the file the service will provide the user with the correct key. For example:

Failure, wrong key. The right key is 5f17aca1ae2edea0f145e884116371a5p

(...)

In addition to this the key is generated by the code:

$backupkey=MD5

Making it trivial to decrypt the key provided above to gain the administrators password and gain further control over the site.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I feel like changing your avatar, but it's already someone cutting away chains and I can't think of anything better.
Congratulations!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Potato Alley posted:

As someone who works for an MSP, admittedly in the Bay Area, this seems quite reasonable.

I didn't phrase that properly. What I was trying to say is that they currently have 24 hour support from an MSP that they're paying $12k per month for and are intending to replace that with one person for whom they will pay significantly less. And I don't think that one person should be me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Swink posted:

With blacksworda moving on, who will take his place as 'guy with the shittiest job'? Someone always rises to take the mantle. Will it be you?

Did CorvetteFischer ever get a new job?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

I didn't phrase that properly. What I was trying to say is that they currently have 24 hour support from an MSP that they're paying $12k per month for and are intending to replace that with one person for whom they will pay significantly less. And I don't think that one person should be me.

I bolded the important part, because that job would suck at any wage.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

There was a discussion about the horrors of Scrum on the previous page. We are total scrum-lords at our dev team and it works wonders for use. We have:

5- to 15-minute stand-up meetings where we skype in whoever hasn't showed up to work yet (usually 1-3 people, one of them being me)
We work on one subtask at a time which is a part of a user story that is sometimes part of an epic. We usually manage to avoid user story bloat.
Weekly grooming sessions that take 2-3 hours.
2-week sprints where we try to work on a collection of tasks averaging a total of 40 velocity points, less when there are holidays.
Retrospectives at the end of the sprint

The only thing which is fairly useless is the weekly Triage which doesn't usually amount to anything more than moving some issues around in Jira and putting "Triage: Needs Grooming" in its comments.

I think it works mostly because we devs define the process ourself. That way we can instantly stop doing whatever is a waste of time. Like, for example, worrying about completing a task before the end of the sprint, even if it is not the most important one, because "we need the story points in this sprint to show managamant that we are effective". We are no longer doing that!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Not knowing anything about scrum all I can say is my god, the buzzwords.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, I think I may understand the concept of scrum in general in terms of efficiency but seeing words that basically sum up as points in an epic story that is groomed just sounds unrelated to programming, even if I think I understand the premise - although I don't understand why you would need to highlight 40 significant items for a single project? Is there a good site/group of sites that highlight parts of scrum that would make sense of this?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

Swink posted:

I think if you are posting in this thread, you either have a lovely job, had a lovely job, or will have a lovely job.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Standups are the only good part of scrum.

But my god, don't drink the Kool-aid. Any methodology which includes regular "sprints" instead of "do your job, every day" is doing something wrong. "User story"? "epic?" Is this the Iliad or Beowulf of development?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I bought a bunch of Dell Optiplex off eBay to replace failing PCs at work, and they are working fine. They claim to each have a valid Win 7 Pro COA on them, which are activating fine for me.

Does anyone know what would happen to these if someone else uses the COA key from them? I want to avoid a situation where say someone from the previous company wrote one of these down and tries to use it on his own Dell at home then I get a ticket from Marketing telling me their PC is pirated. Does the holder of the physical COA always get priority if I have to call Microsoft or something?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
You can't use those keys on a non-Dell PC and using them on a Dell PC is kind of pointless since that PC will have its own sticker. MS is also relatively chill for licensing issues if you have a somewhat reasonable claim, I doubt they'd even make you send in a picture or anykind of effort like that they'd probably just reset the activation counts instantly if you aren't calling in about a similar problem 10 times a year.

Bisse posted:

Weekly grooming sessions that take 2-3 hours.

:confused:

peak debt fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 29, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

evol262 posted:

But my god, don't drink the Kool-aid. Any methodology which includes regular "sprints" instead of "do your job, every day" is doing something wrong. "User story"? "epic?" Is this the Iliad or Beowulf of development?
When my job involves designing a system that scales to billions of incoming entries per months, all searchable, it helps to have a clearly defined roadmap, and a clearly defined task to tackle, with high and clearly defined demands on quality and testing, compared to "just come in and write some code!"

^^Grooming is the dumbest name^^

To be honest the buzzwords make me a bit embarrased. But the actual workflow of 'have a set of small, clearly defined tasks, do the most important one at the moment, and plan your work before you do it' is a godsend.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 29, 2014

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

If I was going to point out the bad things about scrum, it'd be:

* Those moments when you're going through an issue with a manager or colleague from another team, when suddenly: "But this issue's headline is not formatted in the form of a user story! And by the gods! The definition of done is just a short one-liner! And this can clearly be split into this and this task! No these things are important, we need standards!" So no we are arguing semantics instead of talking about the technical task we came to talk about.

* The 2-week sprints. It's all fine and nice until the last two-three days, when suddenly people start reorganizing work maximize collection of imaginary points before an arbitrary deadline.

* We have a manager who actually looks quarterly on our story points as some kind of performance metric for our team. Let me point out that the points are based on guesses on a tasks complexity before a task is started, are not changed if the task actually grows in size, and tasks that take longer than 2 weeks simply don't show up in the statistics. So the statistics are based on complete guesses from before a task is started and have nothing to do with the actual work. Luckily when asking about "why is this week showing 2 points instead of 4020" she accepts the answer that "uuh we care about working efficiently on important things, not on collecting imaginary points".

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

evol262 posted:

Programmer checking in, it works. Sprint is a weekly meeting where we plan poo poo. Scrum is 15 minutes in the morning to touch base with everyone on the dev team and make sure we aren't stepping on toes.

I'm surprised you guys are making fun of it without knowing much about it. "Epic" is a really big story (collection of stories), e.g. something that is a month or so worth of development.

Bisse posted:

* Those moments when you're going through an issue with a manager or colleague from another team, when suddenly: "But this issue's headline is not formatted in the form of a user story! And by the gods! The definition of done is just a short one-liner! And this can clearly be split into this and this task! No these things are important, we need standards!" So no we are arguing semantics instead of talking about the technical task we came to talk about.

* The 2-week sprints. It's all fine and nice until the last two-three days, when suddenly people start reorganizing work maximize collection of imaginary points before an arbitrary deadline.

* We have a manager who actually looks quarterly on our story points as some kind of performance metric for our team. Let me point out that the points are based on guesses on a tasks complexity before a task is started, are not changed if the task actually grows in size, and tasks that take longer than 2 weeks simply don't show up in the statistics. So the statistics are based on complete guesses from before a task is started and have nothing to do with the actual work. Luckily when asking about "why is this week showing 2 points instead of 4020" she accepts the answer that "uuh we care about working efficiently on important things, not on collecting imaginary points".
Oh god this is not how you do it. Meeting a sprint "deadline" is non-existent for me. If I overrun my estimate, no big deal. The points are there to help us figure out how much load we should put together in a sprint for a time period. It shouldn't be committal and it should always be subject to change with no penalty.

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 29, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
So a story is a new word for an incident, and an epic is a problem?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

peak debt posted:

So a story is a new word for an incident, and an epic is a problem?
It doesn't really translate well to IT support since most of that stuff is "putting out fires" and you don't get a lot of control over what comes in, when, and with what priority. It would apply to projects where you are implementing something that can follow a plan. Like a server deployment or something.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom
People aren't making fun of the concept of breaking work into manageable chunks and prioritizing, they are making fun of the asinine buzzwords that are used to describe the process.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Potato Alley posted:

albeit it's over a mafia front restaurant in Bayview because the Tenderloin is too gentrified these days).

Hey, if you gotta live in a bad neighborhood, doing it right above a mob joint is probably one of the better ways to go about it.

Oh my God, that's amazing.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 29, 2014

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Hey, if you gotta live in a bad neighborhood, doing it right above a mob joint is probably one of the better ways to go about it.

It's a good way to make useful friends at least.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Right up until they burn the place down for insurance fraud. Without letting you know to get out.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Swink posted:

I work on a help desk of 5 techs supporting 10000 users. I could probably tell more stories.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

jim truds posted:

I work on a help desk of 5 techs supporting 10000 users. I could probably tell more stories.
That'd be an epic.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
The buzzwords may be stupid, but scrum works, and is useful in that it provides an actual structure to the agile concept, and also gives you something to pitch to your customers/users to get them on board with changing how things get done.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Bisse posted:

Those sound more like bad things about where you work, instead of bad things about scrum.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Yea and really the terms apply, although a bit hyperbolic, but when you work for more than a week on one feature it feels like an eternity. So epic is fitting for that. Stories work too as a good descriptor for sets of tasks.

I think I rolled my eyes at the dumb names too but after I started using it I realized that it's the exception to the dumb buzzword trappings

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Freelance family work came in...

Apparently my father (:wtc: I'm almost 30 so no you shut up dad!) has committed me to helping my godfather's business to replace all of their computers. Sure, that's no problem, anything for family.

Now it has turned into my replacing the computers, cleaning up and recabling their network, replacing a UPS out of pocket and, hopefully, getting reimbursed, and upgrading them to a new version of quickbooks and transferring everything over.

The kicker was when he insinuated that this was going to be pro bono, but he'd pay if I insisted. No poo poo, you're going to pay. I've never done anything on the side that wasn't just virus removal or a screen replacement. I don't even know how much to charge, but I've got a new baby and I'm loving broke so I'd better get something out of this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Uhh, if they hired someone to do all that work, a consultant would be like $75-$115 per hour.

We pay our consultants from an MSP $185/hr.

Pro bono, what the gently caress.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

larchesdanrew posted:

Freelance family work came in...

Apparently my father (:wtc: I'm almost 30 so no you shut up dad!) has committed me to helping my godfather's business to replace all of their computers. Sure, that's no problem, anything for family.

Now it has turned into my replacing the computers, cleaning up and recabling their network, replacing a UPS out of pocket and, hopefully, getting reimbursed, and upgrading them to a new version of quickbooks and transferring everything over.

The kicker was when he insinuated that this was going to be pro bono, but he'd pay if I insisted. No poo poo, you're going to pay. I've never done anything on the side that wasn't just virus removal or a screen replacement. I don't even know how much to charge, but I've got a new baby and I'm loving broke so I'd better get something out of this.

"Hey look, I know my dad said I would do this for a great discount but he wasn't authorized to make that offer on my behalf. This is a lot of work. I cannot do this pro-bono."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GreenNight posted:

Uhh, if they hired someone to do all that work, a consultant would be like $75-$115 per hour.

We pay our consultants from an MSP $185/hr.

Pro bono, what the gently caress.

Well, helping family is a messy business. Generally your parents and their parents expect help because they have helped you without expecting payment before.

Being that you are helping his business makes it tricky. Can the business afford to pay someone, then yeah that should be done. Are they in trouble and can't afford it, meh it might be good to do some reasonable pro bono stuff.

I guess it all depends on how close to your family you are I guess.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bisse posted:

When my job involves designing a system that scales to billions of incoming entries per months, all searchable, it helps to have a clearly defined roadmap, and a clearly defined task to tackle, with high and clearly defined demands on quality and testing, compared to "just come in and write some code!"

^^Grooming is the dumbest name^^

To be honest the buzzwords make me a bit embarrased. But the actual workflow of 'have a set of small, clearly defined tasks, do the most important one at the moment, and plan your work before you do it' is a godsend.

KoRMaK posted:

Programmer checking in, it works. Sprint is a weekly meeting where we plan poo poo. Scrum is 15 minutes in the morning to touch base with everyone on the dev team and make sure we aren't stepping on toes.

I'm surprised you guys are making fun of it without knowing much about it. "Epic" is a really big story (collection of stories), e.g. something that is a month or so worth of development.

Oh god this is not how you do it. Meeting a sprint "deadline" is non-existent for me. If I overrun my estimate, no big deal. The points are there to help us figure out how much load we should put together in a sprint for a time period. It shouldn't be committal and it should always be subject to change with no penalty.

Programmer checking in. I guess I'll reiterate that I'm a developer for Redhat. I'm not arguing that having clearly defined scope, goals which are achievable in a 30 day timeframe, team planning towards those, and accountability for daily actions are all good things. Especially compared to agile's sometimes-directionless methodology and the "6 month project" timeline that inevitably doubles in scope and runs over deadlines.

I'm saying that the terminology used by shops that really buy into it is ridiculous, and that products with a regular release cadence and good PMs can mostly "just come in and write some code" with daily/weekly standups, in my experience.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

blackswordca posted:

So a two week notice was given in.

The owner I talked to actually swore pretty loudly and tried to match what I was making to keep me.

I didnt accept his offer.

I am staying for the two weeks, but I will be getting my vacation paid out so thats an extra 5 weeks of pay there. I start the new job June 16

I was catching up with this thread today and as soon as I saw you were in the references stage a few pages back I was hoping for this post. Congrats!

A three year review is coming up on Friday. I wonder what the best way to say that our parent company has taken away the things I'm interested in doing (brought in their own MSP from NYC to do our network install and admin it and pretty much cut me out) and is slowly removing all responsibility from my department.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Webbeh posted:

I work in IT in higher ed in Georgia (Atlanta).

If you want to know more about general IT around here, PM me and we can chit-chat about it.

Is it possible you could just explain here? I dont have the PM option available because im poor

I am really curious what IT jobs are like Georgia.

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 29, 2014

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

Race Realists posted:

Is it possible you could just explain here? I dont have the PM option available because im poor

I am really curious what IT jobs are like Georgia.

If you take one in Atlanta, don't live too far from work unless you like sitting in traffic for 3+ hours a day.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

KoRMaK posted:

That'd be an epic.

It's honestly not that crazy, more just a slow death. We have 5 guys answering around 300 calls + 150 emails a day. Because of the way we stagger shifts we really only have 3 at a time. We have another 5 doing our 2nd level work. 3 of them are great at the job, 2 are useless and depend on me and another level 1 guy. One of them just supports our corporate office, 800 users. We just have a lot of incompetent people in IT because we pay poo poo and have no budget. I've been promised a level 2 job for 6 months now.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I have a weekly call in my diary that seems to be called a scrum, I didn't really get the buzzword relevance I just thought the project manager is a weirdo.

The reality of it is the project manager organised a 1hr call for 9:30 every week but wanted to make it 2 hours by adding a scrum for 10:30 so we make a drink and then just carry on... Or in my case never come back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Arboc posted:

A ticket came in... blackswordca did the needful

Never been happier for anyone else in this thread - I mostly saw the Tony saga after the fact.

You are an inspiration to us all, blackswordca. At least, to me - seeing your struggle last year convinced me that I too should YOTJ, and I did so back in November. Been a lot happier ever since.

Best of luck and health to you always.

• Locked thread