Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The evidence is that the child looks like Guts/Casca and has some sort of connection with Guts that allows him to calm down from his berserked state (specifically, appearing as a beacon of light), and that Zodd was somehow involved with one of his appearances.

How many years has it been since the first eclipse? Maybe the reason he doesn't look like Griffith is that this form (or spirit) is what it thinks it "should" have looked like given that passage of time and a normal childhood.

It's easy to forget that he hasn't really appeared that many times, it just feels like he's been a longtime fixture because of the slow release schedule. So there's not much actual material to go on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Moonchild is so Guts' and Caska's kid its funny how blatant the "He's the Elf King" red herring is. I mean, this was in his introduction chapter

Followed by the rest of the gang going "Oh they look almost like a family!".

He's their son, and he's just pretty and magic instead of being deformed and magic.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Nate RFB posted:

The evidence is that the child looks like Guts/Casca and has some sort of connection with Guts that allows him to calm down from his berserked state (specifically, appearing as a beacon of light), and that Zodd was somehow involved with one of his appearances.

How many years has it been since the first eclipse? Maybe the reason he doesn't look like Griffith is that this form (or spirit) is what it thinks it "should" have looked like given that passage of time and a normal childhood.

It's easy to forget that he hasn't really appeared that many times, it just feels like he's been a longtime fixture because of the slow release schedule. So there's not much actual material to go on.

Shierke calmed Guts down too, that doesn't require some special connection, just powerful magic.

I found the pages speculating he's the elf king, they were a lot more recent than I thought. From chapter 331, which is only 4 chapters or two whole years ago:

Also, when it helps Guts escape from the sea god's corpse, it appears in a very fairy-like form, whereas the demon child was always shown as... well, a weird demon thing.

Not saying it's conclusive, but it's not a slam dunk in either direction, and I think it's more likely that it's the elf king.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Yep, its the elf king. Glad you cleared that up.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda doubt it's the elf king if only because said elf king has no idea they're coming and no reason to care. And if he does have an idea they're coming and does have reason to care, then he would either a) reveal himself or b) keep hidden.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
As far as we know, Caska's ugly baby going along for the ride with the behelit apostle wasn't part of any plan. The apostle was the means by which Griffith was reborn. He literally found the baby as it was dying and took it with him on a whim. For the baby to be part of the plan, that would mean Caska surviving the eclipse was also planned. I kind of doubt that Griffith planned for the skull knight to pop in and rescue people when he had been Femto for all of an hour. So, the baby was essentially a stowaway that got incorporated into Griffith's new corporeal form. I also doubt that Griffith transforms into the child once a month, as he really isn't the kind of person to ignore such a matter. He would notice lost time if he wasn't otherwise aware of it, and if he was aware but not in control he would burn everything to the ground including his new body if it meant regaining control. In short, I think the moonchild is normally dormant and part of Griffith, but he is able to physically manifest on full moons. His behavior is completely consistent with the ugly baby. He wants to be near his parents, and he tries to protect them.

Edit: You know what that thing it is standing on looks like? A huge tree branch. Gee, I wonder who lives next to a giant magic tree.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 28, 2014

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Edit: You know what that thing it is standing on looks like? A huge tree branch. Gee, I wonder who lives next to a giant magic tree.

Came to post this, since someone mentioned the kid riding the wind on the last page. The ghostly branches of the ol' Ganishka world-tree can be used for transportation... somehow, it seems. As far as we know the branches cover the entire planet, so I'm guessing the elf king would be able to use them as well.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
Griffith has a serious 1990s Micheal Jackson thing going on at the moment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Begemot posted:

Also, when it helps Guts escape from the sea god's corpse, it appears in a very fairy-like form, whereas the demon child was always shown as... well, a weird demon thing.
That body was seemingly destroyed when it was reborn during the second eclipse. I wouldn't expect it to look like that any longer.

I guess we'll know for sure...when they get to Elf Island :shepicide:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Begemot posted:

Not saying it's conclusive, but it's not a slam dunk in either direction, and I think it's more likely that it's the elf king.

How does this not make you think of Griffith immediately?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah, that hair is pure Griffith. Elf King envoy is definitely a red herring.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
Most likely he's just the soul of the Griffith/Guts/Caska child.
Griffith took over the body. He's what got taken out of it.
Since Griffith is his spirit dad or whatever it makes sense for his body of light to look like Griffith.

Piriwi
Feb 20, 2006
Clearly the child is connected to Femto by Griffiths resurrection. The God Hand members might exist outside of time (of the physical world), that would explain how they are able to predict and manipulate causality. It's during events where their realm is connected to the physical realm (like during an eclipse, or when Griffith transforms back into Femto) that the unexpected (to them) can happen, probably because they have a momentary blind spot during that time. This could also explain how the child might have existed as the elf king in the astral realm even before he was born as a physical being, due to its connection to Griffith/Femto. I wouldn't be surprised if Femto was also present during the birth of the other God Hand members, despite those eclipses happening before the birth of Griffith.

Piriwi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on May 28, 2014

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.
This kind of speculation is the only thing that keeps me locked in during downtime. If Miura could read this he'd probably laugh his rear end off at us chasing our tails.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The main tell is that when the moonlight child first appeared Miura inserted a page into volume 38 that wasn't in the serialized chapters that shows Zodd's silhouette on top of a cliff and Gut's brand reacting. The implication that before the Griffith kid could travel anywhere he wanted through the power of the world tree, Zodd was ferrying him to Caska at the full moon. Perhaps on the full moon what remains of Guts and Caska's child is fully expressed, and Griffith has to abide by its wishes for that duration. That might be his only weakness.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 29, 2014

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Ccs posted:

The main tell is that when the moonlight child first appeared Miura inserted a page into volume 38 that wasn't in the serialized chapters that shows Zodd's silhouette on top of a cliff and Gut's brand reacting. The implication that before the Griffith kid could travel anywhere he wanted through the power of the world tree, Zodd was ferrying him to Caska at the full moon. Perhaps on the full moon what remains of Guts and Caska's child is fully expressed, and Griffith has to abide by its wishes for that duration. That might be his only weakness.

I honestly can't see Zodd there, unless that's meant to be his horn in the dead centre of the panel. Could someone give me a red circle?

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Azzents posted:

I honestly can't see Zodd there, unless that's meant to be his horn in the dead centre of the panel. Could someone give me a red circle?

That's his horn, all right. You can see his shoulder and a wing to the left of it, it's smoother than the grassy cliff edge.

Having the only way to actually hurt/kill/stop Griffith be murdering the moonlight child is a pretty Berserk plot twist.

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man I really need to reread this comic. I can barely remember anything you guys are talking about.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Yeah I totally would like someone to circle Zodd in that panel. I've been trying my best to see it for like 3 minutes now and have yet to see anything that even slightly resembles him.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Looks like a snake with a forked tongue hissing out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I really want to say there was a more blatant page, like his full silhouette against the moon or something, but I must be thinking of a different part that had nothing to do with the moonchild.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

I really want to say there was a more blatant page, like his full silhouette against the moon or something, but I must be thinking of a different part that had nothing to do with the moonchild.

I think the panel you're thinking of is when Griffith saves the princess and he's riding on Zodds back silhouetted against the moon.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live
The impression that I got was that the child split into two, one reincarnating into Griffith, and the other as the child as it should have grown.

I don't know where this "both being the same" thing comes from.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I guess we'll know for sure...when they get to Elf Island :shepicide:

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Soulcleaver posted:

Looks like a snake with a forked tongue hissing out.

I'm gonna guess you've only read descriptions of snakes and have never actually seen one.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

That doesn't even slighly resemble Zodd and you guys are all crazy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Whether that specific bump is Zodd or not that scene is pretty obviously implying that there was a demon or Apostle nearby, but it backed off rather than fight.

edit: Actually you know what the guy above me is blind, that looks exactly like Zodd's horn and wing(s). He's in profile, facing to the right, likely mid-turning away from the reader's/Guts's perspective.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 30, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While I guess I can see how that looks like Zodd, it's seems bizarre to make it so vague. I can't think of any good reason not to make it clearer that it's Zodd (if it is).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Well, it's kind of cool noticing it for first time. I've read Berserk twice and I didn't catch it until now.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

While I guess I can see how that looks like Zodd, it's seems bizarre to make it so vague. I can't think of any good reason not to make it clearer that it's Zodd (if it is).

Because that would give away that the moonlight child is Griffith, and Miura wants that to be a mystery, which is why there's now the "it could be the elf king's envoy" red herring.
Instead it's just a hint that some people will pick up on.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
griffith is probably a were-child

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Ccs posted:

Because that would give away that the moonlight child is Griffith, and Miura wants that to be a mystery, which is why there's now the "it could be the elf king's envoy" red herring.
Instead it's just a hint that some people will pick up on.

This really doesn't fit with Miura's narrative style though. This isn't Shingeki no Kyojin or something, when Miura hints at something he usually makes it obvious, like with how he introduced the Behelit Apostle.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

ANIME AKBAR posted:

This really doesn't fit with Miura's narrative style though. This isn't Shingeki no Kyojin or something, when Miura hints at something he usually makes it obvious, like with how he introduced the Behelit Apostle.

That's a pretty good point, too. I just want Guts and Casca's sorta-kid to be happy. :smith:

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Serious Frolicking posted:

As far as we know, Caska's ugly baby going along for the ride with the behelit apostle wasn't part of any plan. The apostle was the means by which Griffith was reborn. He literally found the baby as it was dying and took it with him on a whim. For the baby to be part of the plan, that would mean Caska surviving the eclipse was also planned. I kind of doubt that Griffith planned for the skull knight to pop in and rescue people when he had been Femto for all of an hour. So, the baby was essentially a stowaway that got incorporated into Griffith's new corporeal form. I also doubt that Griffith transforms into the child once a month, as he really isn't the kind of person to ignore such a matter. He would notice lost time if he wasn't otherwise aware of it, and if he was aware but not in control he would burn everything to the ground including his new body if it meant regaining control. In short, I think the moonchild is normally dormant and part of Griffith, but he is able to physically manifest on full moons. His behavior is completely consistent with the ugly baby. He wants to be near his parents, and he tries to protect them.

sweet heavenly voice? lives near a giant tree? appears every friday night?
like urkel! simpsons did it!

imho, the kid was stillborn, but reanimated by a bloodsoaked behelit seeking a host body.

heres hoping miura pulls a twist out of his hat that nobody speculated on.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
The last time I read through the entire series was probably 2008, so I give it a full read through. drat, I'm always surprised by how many little conversations and details I've completely forgotten about. Nothing critical really, but it's nice to know the small stuff cause Miura will bring it up again 5 or 10 years later just to trip everyone out.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Ccs posted:

It was Griffith's soldiers attacking the Witch's house that gave up the idea he is invincible. Why would he send his generals and most powerful soldiers to kill a dying witch instead of with him on the battlefield against Ganishka? He knew Ganishka was small time. Griffith has a weakness that a magician can exploit.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Griffith's weakness is faith, like the gods of DnD. He wants to be the sole messiah so he has to kill the other god kings and queens to establish his rule. Because he doesn't just want to rule Midland, he wants to rule the world. Ganishka was eastern religions, the witch was "pagan" beliefs, the Elf king is possibly Nordic faiths. These faiths are based on the concepts known to a medieval kingdom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It was Griffith's soldiers attacking the Witch's house that gave up the idea he is invincible. Why would he send his generals and most powerful soldiers to kill a dying witch instead of with him on the battlefield against Ganishka? He knew Ganishka was small time. Griffith has a weakness that a magician can exploit.

Well, Ganishka was small time because he was an Apostle and Griffith literally controls his fate. Flora's power, on the other hand, does not come from the Godhand. That's why Griffith considers her much more dangerous than an "entire army".