Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Icon is a parts unlimited brand - unfortunately, this means all their stuff goes out to lowest bidder, which means QC is super inconsistent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Z3n posted:

Icon is a parts unlimited brand - unfortunately, this means all their stuff goes out to lowest bidder, which means QC is super inconsistent.

That's good to know. I was considering some Icon mesh gear.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I saw that Cyclegear had gp plus guantlets on sale and I couldn't help myself. I've always worn short gloves and this is the first gauntlet I'll have owned. I already like them a lot but for first thoughts I wish they had a hard protector over the ball of the wrist.

I think I've finally hit the milestone of becoming a walking Astar billboard.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm not really impressed with Icon helmet construction and features but if you look through their designs they are killing it with the artwork.

I've had an Airmada for a while now and I like it. It feels on par with comparably-priced helmets, like the EXO700 I had before or the HJCs I've had. I did buy a solid white one, though, which was only $180 - at the $250-270 they ask for the painted ones I'd be less pleased with the feel of it. So if you're okay paying $70-90 to have a radically painted $180 helmet, go for it, but if bang-for-your-buck is the goal there are better ways to spend $250.

Mostly I like my Airmada because it fits me right. The only other helmet that was narrow enough was the Arai Signet-Q, and the Icon was $370 less.

Icon's stuff is definitely hit-or-miss but generally seems to be getting better. The Icon 1000 stuff I've seen in person has all felt solid, but they do charge a big premium for it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I really wish I had a store near me with decent bike gear, it sucks not trying anything on :( I just got these in large http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/alpinestars-sp-2-gloves and they look super awesome but I could barely fit my hand in them and couldn't even make a fist.

At least they have a decent return policy, hopefully the XL is better...

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Terminus Est posted:

E-mail sent!

They're on the way, I've sent you a mail with the tracking details :)

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I picked up an Icon Contra textile at Cycle Gear a couple months ago. Seems to be really solidly built, and it fit me perfectly.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Icon's stuff is definitely hit-or-miss but generally seems to be getting better. The Icon 1000 stuff I've seen in person has all felt solid, but they do charge a big premium for it.

I've had two of the metal nubs that secure the straps on the sides of my Elsinore boots break off just wearing them around (no crashes), because I'm guessing they're made with lovely Chinese pot metal and staying together is too much to ask.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I fell over (details to follow in the crash thread) but fortunately the insurance covers gear. Boots and lid are smoked, but the jacket, gloves, and overpants are fine but I'm replacing the pads... I guess I did more bouncing than sliding.

The list I am about to submit to the insurance man:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rs-1-speed-hi-viz-helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-t5-evo-pro-xt-replacement-kneeelbow-pads

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-viper-t5-pro-back-protector

Anything I should be looking to swap out? I'm tempted to go for the Icon crash stat helmet, but I already have the transition visor for my old vortex and I really want to keep it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Why are you submitting an incomplete list of gear? If insurance covers gear submit it all. Also, insurance doesnt buy you new gear - they give you the value of your old gear. What you're doing is insurance fraud, you're supposed to provide them a list of the things you damaged in the crash and they give you the value of those items (sometimes minus some kind of wear and tear amount).

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I believe that's what he's submitted Z3n, the parts of his gear that were damaged. Not replacing the jacket, just the armor from it hence why he's got them there.

As a suggestion, when you buy a new helmet get one with an internal tinted visor, they're awesome. Way easier than swapping visors, even with an easy to swap visor.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What insurance do you have? I've never heard of anyone covering gear, that's pretty sweet.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Shimrod posted:

I believe that's what he's submitted Z3n, the parts of his gear that were damaged. Not replacing the jacket, just the armor from it hence why he's got them there.

As a suggestion, when you buy a new helmet get one with an internal tinted visor, they're awesome. Way easier than swapping visors, even with an easy to swap visor.

If the armor was damaged, then the jacket is damaged too. The comment about "swapping out for the icon helmet" is what made me think he was picking and choosing his replacement gear, not the gear that was damaged.

M42 - state farm is rolling out a gear waiver, although it's not available everywhere yet.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

M42 posted:

What insurance do you have? I've never heard of anyone covering gear, that's pretty sweet.

Pretty common, at least in Australia, I've got Third Party Property, Fire & Theft insurance only, because it's a rip off to get comprehensive in Australia for my bike, more per year than worth of bike, and even that covers full gear if I crash. I can't think of insurance in Australia that doesn't.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ah. State farm also wanted 400 a month for bike insurance for me, soooooooo

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Halo_4am posted:

I fell over (details to follow in the crash thread) but fortunately the insurance covers gear. Boots and lid are smoked, but the jacket, gloves, and overpants are fine but I'm replacing the pads... I guess I did more bouncing than sliding.

The list I am about to submit to the insurance man:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-st-trq-tour-goretex

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-rs-1-speed-hi-viz-helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-d3o-t5-evo-pro-xt-replacement-kneeelbow-pads

Anything I should be looking to swap out? I'm tempted to go for the Icon crash stat helmet, but I already have the transition visor for my old vortex and I really want to keep it.

Yea, I've got something to add. That helmet is totally radical. :cool:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

Why are you submitting an incomplete list of gear? If insurance covers gear submit it all. Also, insurance doesnt buy you new gear - they give you the value of your old gear. What you're doing is insurance fraud, you're supposed to provide them a list of the things you damaged in the crash and they give you the value of those items (sometimes minus some kind of wear and tear amount).

Allstate. They are very easy to work with when it comes to the actually making a claim part of having an insurance policy. They don't expect you to keep 3-5 year old receipts and detailed inventory. Prove the damage, get prices on comparable gear, get a reimbursement check, and done. If it's ridiculous like going from a $50 skull cap to a $2000 HUD ready lid they will give only msrp on a comparable skull cap.

Not only do they cover gear but they also cover poo poo on your person and on the bike to a certain extent. If my wedding ring got lost as a direct result of my hand being severed by my super sweet reaper mirrors they'd replace that, and as much of my hand my 100k medical coverage would allow for also. More realistically though if the Sena or GoPro where damaged they'd cover that too.

Their policy isn't written to insure the depreciated value of age old poo poo that still worked, but rather to the much more practical end of having to suddenly replace a bunch of busted and depreciated poo poo with shiny new stuff all at once. Sorry if this very reasonable approach would be fraudulent under whatever policy you have experience with, but I'm operating under the guidance and with the blessings of my claim dept. I am picking and choosing, and understand that it might not end up 100% covered as a result.

RE: Armor
I'm not 100% on if I'll be claiming the entire jacket and then upgrading the armor or just replacing the armor. Whatever the adjuster figures would be easier on the paperwork. Which as suggested will likely be the jacket and pants. Regardless at the end of the day I'll have my existing gear with new pads... how are those pads compared to say a Forcefield setup? I'm going with these based on an earlier recommendation:

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Check those out. You can always trim it down to fit into your jacket if you need. It's rated at Level 2 I believe, it'll do more than styrofoam at least.

Chichevache posted:

Yea, I've got something to add. That helmet is totally radical. :cool:

RIP : Glorious 80's/early 90's design of 2011

M42 posted:

Ah. State farm also wanted 400 a month for bike insurance for me, soooooooo

$170 or so a year for the 80's technology drag bike. $75 a year for the old babby Honda's I had. That's largely due to having multi-car, multi-bike, and condo insurance with the same company and being married over 25. This claim will also no doubt change those sweet low rates :(

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 29, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Halo_4am posted:

RIP : Glorious 80's/early 90's design of 2011

You monster! :argh:

What does everyone else do with their crashed gear? Do you save it out of a sense of sentimentality or as a cool visual of your reckless youth? I could see myself keeping the gear as a nifty visual to demonstrate why I wear gear instead of letting my skin grind off, but I can also see the issues with having a closet full of busted helmets.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had a house fire, and I didn't trust my helmets afterwards.

That one got hit with a .50 caliber round.

We exploded another one.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I kept my torn gloves just so I have a pair of gloves for around the house/touching hot parts on the bike when changing the oil. I kept my helmet incase I needed it, which I have twice. I'd rather ride with my scraped up helmet than no helmet. Stitched my jeans and still wear them. Gave my jacket to my friend because I bought a new one and he didn't own one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Interesting - state farm just pays out MSRP for whatever you were wearing. No need for receipts, just "I had this gear on, dollars plz, if you have gear coverages".

I'd personally just claim everything I was wearing at the time. I rarely buy poo poo at MSRP so usually an accident nets me a pretty nice payout.

Early phone posting, so didn't mean to insult with my initial reply :)

Halo_4am posted:

Allstate. They are very easy to work with when it comes to the actually making a claim part of having an insurance policy. They don't expect you to keep 3-5 year old receipts and detailed inventory. Prove the damage, get prices on comparable gear, get a reimbursement check, and done. If it's ridiculous like going from a $50 skull cap to a $2000 HUD ready lid they will give only msrp on a comparable skull cap.

Not only do they cover gear but they also cover poo poo on your person and on the bike to a certain extent. If my wedding ring got lost as a direct result of my hand being severed by my super sweet reaper mirrors they'd replace that, and as much of my hand my 100k medical coverage would allow for also. More realistically though if the Sena or GoPro where damaged they'd cover that too.

Their policy isn't written to insure the depreciated value of age old poo poo that still worked, but rather to the much more practical end of having to suddenly replace a bunch of busted and depreciated poo poo with shiny new stuff all at once. Sorry if this very reasonable approach would be fraudulent under whatever policy you have experience with, but I'm operating under the guidance and with the blessings of my claim dept. I am picking and choosing, and understand that it might not end up 100% covered as a result.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Z3n posted:

Interesting - state farm just pays out MSRP for whatever you were wearing. No need for receipts, just "I had this gear on, dollars plz, if you have gear coverages".

I'd personally just claim everything I was wearing at the time. I rarely buy poo poo at MSRP so usually an accident nets me a pretty nice payout.

lol u crash a lot bro?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

"Only submitting what you damaged, that's fraud!"

Z3n posted:

"Anyway here's how I'd commit fraud."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

lol u crash a lot bro?

lol u shitpost a lot bro?

nsaP posted:

"Only submitting what you damaged, that's fraud!"

"Anyway here's how I'd commit fraud."

Not fraud? The usual way it works is they pay out MSRP for replacement gear. Just cause I got a deal doesn't mean they're free from their obligation to pay out as the policy dictates. Allstate doing something else is the first I've ever heard of alternatives to that.

Also for those who might not know, if you damaged the pads inside your jacket, the jacket is damaged. Nearly all gear is one use only, internal damage is a reality, if you look closely/remove the liner you can usually see where the seams have deformed and stitching has snapped. The damage isn't always obvious without pulling the gear apart, though. You pay for insurance, get your money's worth out of it.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

EX250 Type R posted:

lol u crash a lot bro?

:staredog:

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Headset time, what the hell should I get? I really just want something that can play music and directions, probably from the same source device, and maybe talk to the pileon, which means I'm buying 2x of something. I guess sharing of the music would be a neat thing too, but not really required.

Sena seems to be the big name, the latest thing the 20S is retardedly expensive. The 10 I can get a dual pack for $20 more than a single 20S, so that's what I'm kind of leaning towards.

Suggestions/alternatives/youdontneedtostupidmusic?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I've got the Sena SMH-10 two pack, and I'm incredibly pleased with it. I haven't tried music sharing, but everything else works great.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Seconding the SMH-10. I loving love that Jog Dial.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Z3n posted:

Cranky early morning bros. :what::respek::what: I could have been clearer about not submitting a random list to insurance, but I was mostly just giving backstory on why the sudden need for a bunch of different gear. More interested in suggested alternatives for a 4-season boot or different pads so I didn't spell it out.

Crayvex posted:

Seconding the SMH-10. I loving love that Jog Dial.

Best bang for the buck for sure. Waterproof and so far... resistant to 1 low-side. Try the stock speakers before worrying over an alternate earbud supporting clamp, they are surprisingly good. Anybody know of helmets besides Bell's 3/4 that are designed specifically for it?

Being Mega Man would own, but I rather like my teeth.

Shimrod posted:

They're neat and would negate the auto-tint visor that stays annoyingly slightly tinted at night, but I'm only seeing them in 3/4 and modulars. Know of a good full face with them?

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 30, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I like the Sena so far, but I wish the speakers were a little louder. I don't know if it is too much wind noise from a poo poo helmet or what, but at highway speeds I don't hear it as clearly as I would like.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Halo_4am posted:

Cranky early morning bros. :what::respek::what: I could have been clearer about not submitting a random list to insurance, but I was mostly just giving backstory on why the sudden need for a bunch of different gear. More interested in suggested alternatives for a 4-season boot or different pads so I didn't spell it out.

Best bang for the buck for sure. Waterproof and so far... resistant to 1 low-side. Try the stock speakers before worrying over an alternate earbud supporting clamp, they are surprisingly good. Anybody know of helmets besides Bell's 3/4 that are designed specifically for it?

Being Mega Man would own, but I rather like my teeth.

They're neat and would negate the auto-tint visor that stays annoyingly slightly tinted at night, but I'm only seeing them in 3/4 and modulars. Know of a good full face with them?

Here you go mate: http://www.revzilla.com/full-face-motorcycle-helmets#v2-facets%5B%5D=1784&page=1&page_size=96&sort=featured&tab=all

PS It's a really good decision. I have a shoei modular with a sun visor and it's really nice. One thing to be careful though is that some of the cheaper helmets with them can be really lovely. The poorly constructed ones have a tendency to flip down and not stop, they either break or escape the tracks that slide them down form the inside of the helmet. Obviously with a shoei that won't be a problem but it might for other brands if you're looking to save lots of money.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was looking at a Bilt helmet with the sun visor at cycle gear, and I flipped it down, and it broke. It wouldn't go back up and was crooked. I dunno how easy it is to fix, but I put it back on the shelf and walked away. The shoei was solid and it's unfortunate my heads to big/I can afford one.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Can't go wrong with a Sena or Cardo unit. They run around the same price point.
For music sharing and rider-to-passenger communication, Cardo has the Q1. It's specifically designed for that situation and is only sold in dual sets.
I've got a Q3 and it's fantastic. Noise cancellation and auto volume on it are great. I can hear it just fine at highway speeds (using foam ear plugs).
I really wish I could've tried the Sena units, but we don't carry them in stock. I can answer any Cardo questions, but the people here with Senas will have better knowledge on those than me.
All the Cardo units released last year (both the Q series and G) use 3.5mm speaker inputs, so you can use whatever speakers or earbuds you want. The stock speakers are small and powerful. Of the ones I tested (Uclear, Chatterbox, Cardo) the Cardos had the best sound quality by far.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with Sena or Cardo.

Schroeder91 posted:

I was looking at a Bilt helmet with the sun visor at cycle gear, and I flipped it down, and it broke. It wouldn't go back up and was crooked. I dunno how easy it is to fix, but I put it back on the shelf and walked away. The shoei was solid and it's unfortunate my heads to big/I can afford one.

There are a bunch of Bilts with drop-down visors. If it was one on display, people gently caress with them constantly and mess with the visors. They pop back in pretty easily. Either way, Bilt helmets are "meh". They're just generic helmets that are mass produced on an assembly line in China like 95% of other brands.

E: Regarding the Shoei's with drop downs (Neotec modular and GT-air) : you can't get tinted visors for them. Shoei only makes clear. Not sure why you'd want one, but some folks come in looking for them. The internal sun visor only comes in dark smoke, too.

its all nice on rice fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 30, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Shoei GT Air has a really good flip down sun visor and is really comfortable too.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Halo_4am posted:

My dad recently bought a Scorpion EXO1100 and has great things to say about the internal visor. Granted, he's only had it since last summer, but so far no issues with the internal visor falling randomly.

http://www.revzilla.com/search?query=exo+1100

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The GT Air is fantastic. I'd say if you can spend money on a Shoei, go for it or the RF1200, whichever fits you best.
They actually came out with a transition shield for the RF1200. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cw-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield
It's not available yet, but I plan on getting one.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

They're neat and would negate the auto-tint visor that stays annoyingly slightly tinted at night, but I'm only seeing them in3/4 and modulars. Know of a good full face with them?

My Shark S700 has it, great helmet. RJays makes full faces with them as well but I think thats an Australian only company (plus they're crap). Pretty sure I've seem AGV and Arai with them before.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Halo_4am posted:

The HJC IS-16 is my day-to-day, and is a good helmet if you don't plan on spending Shoei money http://www.revzilla.com/product/hjc-is-17-helmet the visor works reliably, and iit's a comfortable, lightweight helmet, only downfall is that it's not Snell approved, if I'm bombing a mountain road or something I'll pull my more sport-oriented helmet out of the closet and wear sunglasses.

Edited for link to the IS-17, because the IS-16 is only available in one size anymore.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 31, 2014

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
The GT-Air looks sweet and informed me that there are helmets being made that are designed to accommodate eyeglasses. The discomfort of which is something I've long ago accepted as a fact of life. Not sure if I can convince myself to spend the bucks, but if the insurance payout ends up on the generous side it will be a no-brainer.

On the more budget end with my new requirements of internal sun visor, eyewear support, and sena clamp support (ruled out Nolan N86) I think I have landed on the Shark Vision-R.

Shimrod posted:

My Shark S700 has it, great helmet.

Looked at that but I think I am spoiled by my Bell's chin curtain and other such comforts. That bumped me to the Vision-R, which has the chief complaint of poor ventilation. That appears to be addressed in the upcoming series 2 though. Unfortunately it can't be pre-ordered with any of the lumi schemes so I'll settle for totes rad hi viz.

Any general knocks on Shark? This looks to have a load more bells and whistles than my previously settled on RS-1 and is $20 cheaper even... so for the moment I'm pretty stoked.

Elviscat posted:

The HJC IS-16 is my day-to-day, and is a good helmet if you don't plan on spending Shoei money http://www.revzilla.com/product/hjc-is-17-helmet the visor works reliably, and iit's a comfortable, lightweight helmet, only downfall is that it's not Snell approved, if I'm bombing a mountain road or something I'll pull my more sport-oriented helmet out of the closet and wear sunglasses.

Edited for link to the IS-17, because the IS-16 is only available in one size anymore.

No fucks given for Snell, because if I'm in a wreck bad enough to need it I'm dead from 2-3 other fatal injuries anyway. I started in a budget HJC and they're fine, but I find them to be a bit heavy and prone to buffeting. Mine used to make head checks on the highway a feat of strength.

That was about 8 years ago now, but I haven't heard anything to suggest they've made major strides.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Halo_4am posted:

Any general knocks on Shark? This looks to have a load more bells and whistles than my previously settled on RS-1 and is $20 cheaper even... so for the moment I'm pretty stoked.

I have the previous generation Vision-R and i really like it, a friend just bought a 2014 version 2 and there are a few small tweaks that make it a nicer helmet.
Its reasonably quiet (i always wear earplugs too though), stable at high speeds. the drop down sun visor hits my glasses unless they're pushed all the way up my nose (this is fixed on the new version)