Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
The WHM Butterfly Effect episode reminds me that I saw that movie on TV years ago as part of one of those shows that bookends parts with trivia etc like "Dinner and A Movie" or "DVD on TV" . The tonal shifts were amazing between the movie and the TV bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Beanpants posted:

"And speaking of doughnut rainstorms, Ethan Suplee..." has to be one of the greatest segues I've heard in a long while.

Yeah I almost drove off the road at that part.

They were spot on about Butterfly Effect being total high school creative writing bullshit. It's written by the kinds of people who think Tyler Durden, the Boondock Saints and Don Draper are the loving cooooolest man. *rips joint*

e: Oh new HDTGM is really good. Color of Night is a weird movie. Bonus points for Amy Schumer.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 9, 2014

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I remember seeing ads for the Butterfly Effect all over the place in 2004. I had no idea it was like this. Good grief. :stare:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I listened to WHM's Trekumentary commentary for Star Trek: Nemesis and it was a lot of fun. I especially liked how they noted that Worf was being pushed to the background, and that Patrick Stewart was in better shape than the ageless android Data.
I think WHM's commentary for Chudumentary was a little better as that was just a cheap, goofy horror film that everyone could enjoy, while appreciating the ridiculousness of Nemesis requires knowing a lot about Star Trek. There were also fewer slow parts in C.H.U.D. so the WHM jokes were more rapid fire, and while they do their best with the slow parts in Nemesis it is hard to riff when nothing is happening on screen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mojo Threepwood posted:

I listened to WHM's Trekumentary commentary for Star Trek: Nemesis and it was a lot of fun. I especially liked how they noted that Worf was being pushed to the background, and that Patrick Stewart was in better shape than the ageless android Data.
I think WHM's commentary for Chudumentary was a little better as that was just a cheap, goofy horror film that everyone could enjoy, while appreciating the ridiculousness of Nemesis requires knowing a lot about Star Trek. There were also fewer slow parts in C.H.U.D. so the WHM jokes were more rapid fire, and while they do their best with the slow parts in Nemesis it is hard to riff when nothing is happening on screen.

How do these work, by the way? Are they just making jokes like Rifftrax, or are they actually discussing the movie?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

How do these work, by the way? Are they just making jokes like Rifftrax, or are they actually discussing the movie?

They make plenty of jokes but also discuss the movie more than Rifftrax would. I think Rifftrax works off a script of prewritten jokes so they can do more elaborate riffs and callbacks, but WHM just makes comments as they watch. It works pretty well, especially for long time WHM fans (they include a reference to their favorite lazy plot device, the "Vague Drug Trade") but it does lead to small bits of downtime when nothing is happening on screen where if it were prescripted they would be more ready.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Random Stranger posted:

My feeling with the Butterfly Effect is that is was an attempt to be "shocking" and "dark", but like most attempts to do that without considering the balance of the film it looped around to "laughably stupid". I hadn't considered the "jumped up student film" aspect that WHM played up but it really does fit. You'll still find people out there that defend it as a misunderstood masterpiece and claim that the alternative ending makes the whole film.

I don't hate that movie and I actually thought a lot of the darkness was tongue in cheek, which maybe makes it worse (It came from the writers of Final Destination 2, which was gleeful in the ways it offed people - and the commentary seems to back this up). But I will say that the alternate ending belongs to the movie it came from. It's consistent. The theatrical one comes out of nowhere. It's been so long since I've seen it that I might hate it now, but I remember just shrugging it off after it was over.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Hamburger the Movie episode of WHM was pretty great. I like how the crew has iffy impersonations of Ventura and Patrick Stewart, but spot on Ronald Reagan and encyclopedic knowledge about the Jonestown Massacre. The bits about the fat student electrocuting himself to avoid eating were amazing, along with the wrongly shackled student.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I love the Jesse Ventura impression. The Abraxas episode a couple weeks ago was a classic, to me.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I enjoyed Secundus' guest appearance.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Mojo Threepwood posted:

Hamburger the Movie episode of WHM was pretty great. I like how the crew has iffy impersonations of Ventura and Patrick Stewart, but spot on Ronald Reagan and encyclopedic knowledge about the Jonestown Massacre. The bits about the fat student electrocuting himself to avoid eating were amazing, along with the wrongly shackled student.

Yeah it was way better than the Hot Dog episode which wasn't bad but just...there. Jesse Ventura could count 10s all day long. :allears:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
They're not so much doing an impression of Jesse Ventura as an impression of James Adomian's impression of Jesse Ventura. They might have even said as much.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hamburger The Motion Picture was one of those movies that was on pretty much every other day on HBO back in the late 80's. I remember watching it and thinking it was funny at the time, although admittedly I was like 15 so all the terrible stuff went right over my head.

Given the nature and prevalence of boob comedies in the 80's, it's amazing my generation has even a remotely good outlook on sex.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Al! posted:

They're not so much doing an impression of Jesse Ventura as an impression of James Adomian's impression of Jesse Ventura. They might have even said as much.

Yeah I was waiting for a Adomian citation but didn't hear it. I might have missed it though.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I haven't seen Hamburger, but the racism they mention involving the black student/singer and the black cops actually sounds... Pretty clever? It sounds like dragging in a black guy and forcing him to attend was making fun of the "token black guy" trope of the time, and a bunch of black cops attacking the burger joint is actually a pretty funny subversion of stereotypes.

That said, this is the same movie with the "400 club" and, well, everything involving the Latina revolutionary classmate, so maybe it's not THAT clever and really just is racist...

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I bet they thought they were being clever. The actual execution of it, though...

Again: Magneto Jones spends all but the last minute or two of the movie in chains. That's not an exaggeration. He is in chains from the moment he first appears in the movie until just before the end, where he has just enough time to sing the jingle between being unchained and the credits roll.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

Guys, I'm pretty sure Hamburger: The Motion Picture is just casually racist in a way that was permissible in the '80s.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ain't nothin' casual about that racism.

Seriously, I don't think there's a group that isn't insulted in one way or another.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Just listened to the WHM Butterfly Effect episode. I'm really glad they covered the batshit insane alternate ending.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really tempted to change my name to Magneto Jones. That is just a fantastic name.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Just listened to the WHM Butterfly Effect episode. I'm really glad they covered the batshit insane alternate ending.

Their "THIS MOVIE IS EXTREME! *Bong Hit*" bit was amazing and I hope they do that again.

Also I listened to Blame it on Rio: HOLY poo poo! Who the gently caress thought this movie was a good idea? :stare:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 30, 2014

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Any guesses on the first movie for the Summer Blockbuster month? The hint was "cutlery."

Fentry
Mar 7, 2003

My immediate thought was Mystery Men

Edit: Looks like I was right

Fentry fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 3, 2014

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I don't know if I want to bother with this ep now, I have a lot of love for Mystery Men.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

The definitive podcast on Mystery Men is already out anyway. :colbert:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Oof. See I think time has been very kind to Mystery Men. I didn't like it as a kid but that's because I didn't get half of it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
It's probably their most controversial choice since there's a lot of people who genuinely like that movie. I'm so-so on it so I didn't mind it all that much.

I do think they were spot on with their comparism of this and Galaxy Quest though.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

weekly font posted:

Oof. See I think time has been very kind to Mystery Men. I didn't like it as a kid but that's because I didn't get half of it.

e: I was definitely thinking of a different movie and I have no idea what it is. I have never seen a movie where Pee Wee Herman farts and that's the joke. The entire joke.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

weekly font posted:

Maybe Mystery Men was ahead of it's time? I saw it again a few months ago and thought it was decent.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

It's probably their most controversial choice since there's a lot of people who genuinely like that movie. I'm so-so on it so I didn't mind it all that much.

I do think they were spot on with their comparism of this and Galaxy Quest though.

I would say Cocoon is probably the most controversial choice since that's kinda considered a classic. I also liked Mystery Men, but I haven't seen it since 99.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So will next weeks be Mortal Kombat or a Highlander sequel?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

bobkatt013 posted:

So will next weeks be Mortal Kombat or a Highlander sequel?

If it's gonna be a Mortal Kombat you gotta figure it'll be the sequel.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

weekly font posted:

If it's gonna be a Mortal Kombat you gotta figure it'll be the sequel.

Christopher Lambert was not in the sequel. It could also be Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It could also be that bad Beowulf movie he starred in.

edit: Oh I forgot we are in the summer blockbuster thing, in that case it's probably not this.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 3, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Christopher Lambert was not in the sequel. It could also be Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Probably not, unless they're lifting the 10-Year Rule.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Probably not, unless they're lifting the 10-Year Rule.

I thought the 10 year rule was broken during the Summer Blockbuster extravaganza, but I could be mistaken and its just for the viewer request month.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I imagine it's Mortal Combat. It came out in August, it's stupid, 10 year rule, white guy karate etc.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
'Jason really likes Bunheads.'

Jason Mantzoukas is the best.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Drunkboxer posted:

I imagine it's Mortal Combat. It came out in August, it's stupid, 10 year rule, white guy karate etc.

I'd rather they didn't though. Two weeks of taking movies seriously that don't take themselves very seriously would be a drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

weekly font posted:

I'd rather they didn't though. Two weeks of taking movies seriously that don't take themselves very seriously would be a drag.

Yeah, that's kind of why I didn't listen too much into this week's episode; they were treating a deliberately goofy movie as if it was trying to be a deconstruction of the genre or something.

I actually had a similar problem with the HDTGM episode of Mortal Kombat, now that I think of it. I felt like Jason and Paul were deliberately not "getting" how a martial arts movie works.