Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Zero Initiative posted:

I'm starting to think I should just not bother defending myself against dark spirits for the time being. My previous invader ended up giving me several million souls and royally loving up my SM on my new character.

The cheat engine makes me sad.

I've done this, actually.

I'm not a cheerful guy and don't trust red invaders to play fair anymore, so when some prick jumps in unsolicited between me and my bloodstain, I just express disappointment. Stand in the open without a shield (probably in my usual prisoner rags too) and just shrug at them when they show up. Then I slowly walk up and turn my back to them. Maybe shrug once more for emphasis. Take your token if you need it so much, small man.

The bizarre thing is that it has worked in 3 out of the four most recent invasions. They've just hosed off and jumped into a pit. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I don't really understand why people who dislike PvP or being invaded or any of that sort of thing wouldn't just play offline.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

I don't really understand why people who dislike PvP or being invaded or any of that sort of thing wouldn't just play offline.

They like orange messages, player ghosts, and co-op.

And honestly, who can blame them for not liking DkS2 PVP? It's pretty samey after a point.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Colapops posted:

Because playing with other people is fun. I can take every boss in the game solo, I still summon all I can. My soapstone's are always on my quickbar and never get taken off.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

scamtank posted:

I've done this, actually.

I'm not a cheerful guy and don't trust red invaders to play fair anymore, so when some prick jumps in unsolicited between me and my bloodstain, I just express disappointment. Stand in the open without a shield (probably in my usual prisoner rags too) and just shrug at them when they show up. Then I slowly walk up and turn my back to them. Maybe shrug once more for emphasis. Take your token if you need it so much, small man.

The bizarre thing is that it has worked in 3 out of the four most recent invasions. They've just hosed off and jumped into a pit. :psyduck:

Maybe they thought it was a soul memory trap or something?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Tallgeese posted:

I really do have to figure out a good title.

Barrel King Tallgeese? Tallgeese of Barrolia? The possibilities are endless.

Soul vessel is now soul barrel.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Flytrap posted:

Because playing with other people is fun. I can take every boss in the game solo, I still summon all I can. My soapstone's are always on my quickbar and never get taken off.

I don't remember the last time I summoned/was summoned by someone that wasn't one of my friends using the name ring, so quickslotting the soapstone is just a habit at this point.

That said, while the PvP can get stale or annoying at times thanks to the same-ishness that Tallgeese mentioned, the invasions themselves are sort of a core part of the game. Protecting yourself from invasions means you don't get the 'reward' of summoning phantom helpers, whether you're playing offline or burning effigies.

I don't mean to sound like a "lol ur a carebear" person but since invasions *are* a large part of the game and encouraged by the developers (badly in the current implementation) it seems silly to try and avoid them while maintaining the ease-of-victory that co-op brings.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Jamfrost posted:

Soul vessel is now soul barrel.

K.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Colapops posted:

I don't mean to sound like a "lol ur a carebear" person but since invasions *are* a large part of the game and encouraged by the developers (badly in the current implementation) it seems silly to try and avoid them while maintaining the ease-of-victory that co-op brings.
Why is it silly to avoid a part of the game I don't particularly like?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I guess the major flaw in my thinking there is the assumption that people who dislike being invaded are also reliant on co-op, so I guess I'm coming from the wrong direction with this discussion to start off with.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So my steam for some reason whent offline and since I was pvping I quiet the game to get back online, but now the game won't recognise my savegame. It acts as if there was no savefile. I have tried copying the savegame file, starting a new character and the pasting the old savegame file into the savegamefolder, but the game won't recognise the old file as valid. Has anyone else experienced this and in any case found a solution?

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Join the Way of Blue, it's there specifically for you to help you deal with invaders more easily. You don't need to be in any other covenant to play through the game, it's always possible to switch to another and then back.

What I'm getting at here is don't be a passive aggressive dickweed about PvP, there are plenty of ways to circumvent/cope with it.

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
I do not dislike invasions. I dislike lag, certainly, but I'll just have to live with it. But when successfully fending off an invader will still carry that risk of making GBS threads out souls, bloating my SM and ruining any chance of co-op and fighting at the level where I should be, then I certainly don't feel at fault for not wanting to fight back anymore.

Hell, take a look at most anyone's character on the Champion's Tablet list, at any ranking. 99 points in every stat everywhere. Nobody's even being discreet about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Join the Way of Blue, it's there specifically for you to help you deal with invaders more easily. You don't need to be in any other covenant to play through the game, it's always possible to switch to another and then back.
The Way of the Blue is pretty poorly set up for a NG run though, and it's tied up with the way they mucked up a bunch of the PvP systems in general. I was in Way of the Blue for most of my first NG run through, and it didn't seem to do a thing. Ended up switching to the Dark covenant because there was an actual benefit there.

The other PvP covenants work a lot better, and while I hate the Red invasions I like the way Ratbros and Bellbros work.

quote:

What I'm getting at here is don't be a passive aggressive dickweed about PvP, there are plenty of ways to circumvent/cope with it.
I didn't think I was?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cryohazard posted:

How exactly is the person you are addressing being "passive aggressive"?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Zero Initiative posted:

I do not dislike invasions. I dislike lag, certainly, but I'll just have to live with it. But when successfully fending off an invader will still carry that risk of making GBS threads out souls, bloating my SM and ruining any chance of co-op and fighting at the level where I should be, then I certainly don't feel at fault for not wanting to fight back anymore.

Hell, take a look at most anyone's character on the Champion's Tablet list, at any ranking. 99 points in every stat everywhere. Nobody's even being discreet about it.

I'm not sure why people are so brazen about cheating, especially in that covenant. It's like they don't realize there's an open and publicly viewable record of their cheating. The same goes for the Black Book or whatever from the first game, where you could see the stats and info on sinners.

I also don't consider hacking to be a problem with invasions, but a separate problem on its own. But with how common cheating is, maybe I should change my views there.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Way of the Blue is pretty poorly set up for a NG run though, and it's tied up with the way they mucked up a bunch of the PvP systems in general. I was in Way of the Blue for most of my first NG run through, and it didn't seem to do a thing. Ended up switching to the Dark covenant because there was an actual benefit there.

The other PvP covenants work a lot better, and while I hate the Red invasions I like the way Ratbros and Bellbros work.

I didn't think I was?

No one was being passive aggressive so I dunno, but -

Invasions for Blood Brothers are kinda screwy (same with Sentinels), but I *don't* actually like the way that Rat King and Bell Keeper 'invasions' work. On one hand, it's a quick and guaranteed way to get PvP, and once you know which areas are which you know that <this> area is Bell Keeper territory and <this> area is Rat King territory. That's the good bit. The bad bit is that when you enter those areas, the odds are stacked so heavily in favor of the covenant members that it goes beyond the simple inherent (and 'acceptable') levels of unfairness.

2v1 is hard enough to overcome by itself, but when you're in such a small area as Belfry Luna, or a large and open area with little cover like Belfry Sol, unless you pull off some backstab/riposte trickery or major spell slinging you're not likely to survive. Add in the fact that there are plenty of heavy-hitting mobs in those areas and it gets even worse.

The same basic idea goes for Rat King members, at least in the Doors of Pharros. Grave of Saints it's not so bad because you're only fighting a few rats. In the Doors of Pharros it's sickeningly easy for the Ratnerd to stand up on the ledges above the entrance and just shoot down at you with arrows/spells while mastodons smack you in the head and toxic rats nibble on your butt. This is most annoying because if you survive the first area, you still have alllllll that way to run and the chances of failure rise exponentially.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 29, 2014

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I didn't think I was?

My bad, confused you with scamtank. Sorry.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

I'm not sure why people are so brazen about cheating, especially in that covenant. It's like they don't realize there's an open and publicly viewable record of their cheating. The same goes for the Black Book or whatever from the first game, where you could see the stats and info on sinners.

It's because they think From won't do anything.

You have to remember that in DS1, exactly one person got banned, and he had to permanently statdrain scores of people first and have legions of people complaining about him.

From does not seem much better than whoever handled GFWL bans. They threatened bans for megamule on console months ago and there is still not a single good report that they followed up.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 29, 2014

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Cryohazard posted:

I'm not being a passive-aggressive dickweed about PvP, I'm being a passive-aggressive dickweed about someone holding my enormous unspent lump of souls hostage before I can even properly stand up after a death. I also didn't bank on people psyching themselves out.

When the PvP works, it loving works. The few invasions I had just past the launch were a fantastic bare knuckle affair that got my blood pounding.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, a lot of people are reliant on profound still to the point they have no idea what to do when the other guy just whips out a sword and goes to town. Even better if it's blue flame, because the second it wears off they eat a soul greatsword.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

They're all Pate. :frogdowns:

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

'blood pounding'

RBA Starblade posted:

Man, a lot of people are reliant on profound still to the point they have no idea what to do when the other guy just whips out a sword and goes to town. Even better if it's blue flame, because the second it wears off they eat a soul greatsword.

The best part: not only do they fail to expect you to actually stab them, but they almost seem surprised when your lightning/dark/magic infused weapon actually slices through their HP despite you being a twiggy-armed caster.

turtlecrunch posted:

They're all Pate. :frogdowns:

Don't you mean Creighton?

That's a really rich blue skintone. How'd you managed that? I just get pale/sickly baby blues and weird greens.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Colapops posted:

Don't you mean Creighton?

What with Pate not being who Creighton thinks he is and Creighton not being who he says he is it would be funny if Drangleic's whole memory loss thing got them to switch identities.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
I think I would like invasions a lot more if there were two individual timers.

One for invasions, and one for invasions from the same person.

I can't tell you how many times I get invaded by the same person like 3-4 times in a row. It's actually very boring, especially if they loving suck at PvP, it just ends up being a big ol' waste of time.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

scamtank posted:

I'm not being a passive-aggressive dickweed about PvP, I'm being a passive-aggressive dickweed about someone holding my enormous unspent lump of souls hostage before I can even properly stand up after a death. I also didn't bank on people psyching themselves out.

When the PvP works, it loving works. The few invasions I had just past the launch were a fantastic bare knuckle affair that got my blood pounding.

Just put on a Ring of Life Protection if you've got a bloodstain you're trying to get to.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I have a rather weird approach to the online component - no idea if I'm alone on that or if anybody else feels like that.

Basically, I don't like multiplayer. I barely own any multiplayer games at all, and those I have are usually silly, chaotic affairs like Rayman or the New Mario Bros. series. All my friends are way into the Battlefield/LoL scene, and while I do think the games themselves are fun, I just don't like facing others online. It's not even that I lose most of the time - I just don't get much of a kick out of fighting others. In short, it's not why I play games.

Same goes for Dark Souls. I want to get immersed in the world, and turning it into a duel ground kinda ruins that. Not to mention the garish colors of the phantoms. Whenever I got invaded, I immediately felt annoyed. The fight itself sometimes turned out to be an intense, blood-pumping experience, but I just don't feel like seeking it out. All the more bothersome when it seeks ME out.
Strangely enough, though, I love helping out others. I love being summoned, though I don't like having to wait so long, so I usually end up progressing in the level before I'm summoned.

For people like me, it would probably be best if there'd be a way of switching of confrontational multiplayer altogether, but keep in the co-op parts. Then, you wouln't even need SM or anything - who cares if your summon is grossly overleveled, he's there to help me! Overall, I'd be much happier if multiplayer were a LOT faster, and you could chose if you want to fight strangers or not. I don't think it should be taken out, obviously. Just... let me chose the nature of my online experience. Because some of those are really neat, and I love being the anonymous stranger who helps you kill the boss while praising the sun.

That might just be me, though. :)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Colapops posted:

That's a really rich blue skintone. How'd you managed that? I just get pale/sickly baby blues and weird greens.

I'll see if I can recreate it and take some pics of the sliders. Usually the trick is not how to get the color, but how to get it without your face looking like it has lots of weird discolorations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

I'll see if I can recreate it and take some pics of the sliders. Usually the trick is not how to get the color, but how to get it without your face looking like it has lots of weird discolorations.

Pretty much, yes. Whenever I make a character with a weird skintone it's always on the lighter side of the spectrum because that hides the weird facial... uh... snowiness. The bizarre splotches of black and white and red that appear for seemingly no reason.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Is there some new trick people are using to cheese Belfry Luna? Several times now I've loaded in as a bellcop, checked that the gate to the gargoyles is still shut, bellkeepers are alive on the floor, all good. World Master has challenged the area boss. Returning to your world...

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Hra Mormo posted:

Is there some new trick people are using to cheese Belfry Luna? Several times now I've loaded in as a bellcop, checked that the gate to the gargoyles is still shut, bellkeepers are alive on the floor, all good. World Master has challenged the area boss. Returning to your world...

No idea. There is a bug where if you stand right at the edge of the fog, it triggers an invader without actually being in the Belfry. (You're just outside the fog.)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Torquemadras posted:

That might just be me, though. :)

This is more or less exactly what I tried to convey earlier, it's like you're describing me :shobon:
Apparently we should stop playing this game though because that's a core part of the :darksouls: experience and we suck for not acknowledging it.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Your Computer posted:

This is more or less exactly what I tried to convey earlier, it's like you're describing me :shobon:
Apparently we should stop playing this game though because that's a core part of the :darksouls: experience and we suck for not acknowledging it.

What weirds me out about this in Dark Souls 2 is that it literally took me 70 hours of online play to ever get invaded, in Heide's on a fresh character by someone who probably just used one of the early cracked red orb drops out of curiosity. Unless I'm a weird outlier, they've pretty much completely neutered dickwraithing. Is it just a matter of principle or do you actually regularly get invaded and I'm missing out for some reason?

EDIT: If you mean rats I suppose that makes more sense, but I have to wonder how many hits you'd actually get as a rat servant if people could just opt out of getting ratted with no consequence.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 29, 2014

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
/\ Eh, right now PvP has the problem where it's a pain to get eye-orbs without using a cheat engine, and if you're already using one then why give yourself some super stats while you're at it? Basically pvp is either minimal or filled to the brim with hackers for each person.

Dangit, why couldn't they have kept the Skull Lantern? They makes whips awesome and a piece of headgear that denotes heedlessness. How am I supposed to be an kickin' rad dullahan if I can't carry around a severed head! :saddowns:

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 29, 2014

Zero Initiative
Nov 6, 2013
Now, here's something I haven't been able to figure out yet. When trying to accommodate for lag when parrying in PvP, is the timing still based on what I see on my screen? Or do I have to judge how much of a delay there is and parry early to try to get both the enemy's attack timing and my parry timing to magically sync somewhere along the tube of the internets?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Even as someone who loves PvP in Dark Souls 2, I'll say straight up people who think PvP is "core" to Dark Souls are oblivious to how the real world works. How can something be core when it's made trivially easy to opt out of 100% in both games?

Most Dark Souls players probably go through the entire game actively avoiding PvP.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Nothing in this game makes you a bigger fudgestuffer than being a god damned prick with an invisible monastery scimitar.

Have some loving E-Honor. :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

HMS Boromir posted:

What weirds me out about this in Dark Souls 2 is that it literally took me 70 hours of online play to ever get invaded, in Heide's on a fresh character by someone who probably just used one of the early cracked red orb drops out of curiosity. Unless I'm a weird outlier, they've pretty much completely neutered dickwraithing. Is it just a matter of principle or do you actually regularly get invaded and I'm missing out for some reason?

EDIT: If you mean rats I suppose that makes more sense, but I have to wonder how many hits you'd actually get as a rat servant if people could just opt out of getting ratted with no consequence.

Happens a bit more in NG+ from what I've seen.

Losing to Ratbros is basically consequence free anyway.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

Nothing in this game makes you a bigger fudgestuffer than being a god damned prick with an invisible monastery scimitar.

Have some loving E-Honor. :colbert:

Invisible monastery scimitars are legit pretty lame. It's an easy weapon to counter...but only if you know they have it :v:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Invisible monastery scimitars are legit pretty lame. It's an easy weapon to counter...but only if you know they have it :v:

I can deal with Havel's. I can deal with Avelynns. I can deal with Syan's Halberds, Washing Poles, and dickheads with Santier's.

I literally can't even; with an Invisible Monastery Scimitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Even though I'm at a point on my main character where I generally win 2 arena fights for every loss, the arbitrary "1-5 minute wait" between matches is just too much of a hassle to deal with and is clearly a broken/poorly implemented mechanic.

As such, I've started giving all of my new characters 99 cracked redeye orbs that I slowly burn through as I'm running around playing the game and building the character up. It's really cool when you actually see the bluebro system working as clearly intended - about 1 out of every 5 invasions I'm doing in lowbie areas has an arbiter spirit summoned in to help the host, which I'm sure is a pleasant surprise for both of them. It's been a lot of fun and reasonably challenging because nobody (myself included) has good gear or spells to spam.

One of the starting gifts should be a reusable (un-cracked) red eye orb that is destroyed once the character reaches an arbitrary limit - say 1m soul memory, or joins the bloodbro covenant. That would be a reasonable compromise between "watch the world burn" players being able to go invasion-crazy and actually making the bluebro covenant worth joining for carebears.

Ratbro areas should be expanded to the zones immediately before and after their actual maps, or their zones should be a requirement to travel through for story reasons. Ratbro invasion rules are the best, imo, and should be more readily accessible/unavoidable. Bellhops can remain the gankfest "forest" zones of DS2 and should remain optional as they are now.