Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Endorph posted:

Why wouldn't there be? Sales of the games were pretty decent, weren't they?

Didn't most of the team behind it leave?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The GIG posted:

Didn't most of the team behind it leave?
Oh, did they? I didn't know that.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

At least you didn't spend 40bux on the HD version because of this thread!

I only have the PS2 for Sony game consoles. Limits my financial silliness.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well, for better or worse I got the goddamn Platinum. Penance is certified one hell of a superboss; it's like a prolonged balancing act trying to keep the arms dead while not having them both come back at once and finding time to actually do damage while healing yourself of breaks.

This means I win, right?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fedule posted:

This means I win, right?

Do you feel happier?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I do hope they re-release XII some time, it looks interesting and I'll probably never get to play it otherwise since it's not back-compatible on PS3. I could emulate it on PC I guess, but eh. I've heard it has some emulation issues anyway, dunno if that's still true.

BingeHooligan
Dec 24, 2010
Take it with a grain of salt, but the original producer, Ichigo Hazama, expressed interest in making another one some time last year. He also said he wants to do something for Chrono Trigger's 20th anniversary but we all know how SE loves Chrono Trigger. So much love.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you feel happier?

I get the idea that while he ain't happy, he's feeling glad that it's over with.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BingeHooligan posted:

Take it with a grain of salt, but the original producer, Ichigo Hazama, expressed interest in making another one some time last year. He also said he wants to do something for Chrono Trigger's 20th anniversary but we all know how SE loves Chrono Trigger. So much love.

SE to unveil Chrono Break a game where you play Dalton and must kill Crono across every time line so that Chrono Cross can happen.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The GIG posted:

Dissidia is a great side series and I'm sad there probably won't be another one.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/square-enix-final-fantasy-x-3-state-final-fantasy-xv-dissidia/

quote:

On the subject of a possible sequel for Dissidia, series director Mitsunori Takahashi says “I definitely want to make it.”

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Barudak posted:

SE to unveil Chrono Break a game where you play Dalton and must kill Crono across every time line so that Chrono Cross can happen.

I would buy this at least twice. Make it a character action with Glenn/Frog as your Vergil.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 29, 2014

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Considering that "Chrono Break" was just a mistranslation of "Chrono Brake," obviously it's going to be a fairly meta game where you go through time to 1999 to stop the creation of Chrono Cross :colbert:

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Huh, I thought that the dudes behind it left. Don't know where I got that from.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

The White Dragon posted:

Considering that "Chrono Break" was just a mistranslation of "Chrono Brake," obviously it's going to be a fairly meta game where you go through time to 1999 to stop the creation of Chrono Cross :colbert:

Nah, you play as the humanoid reincarnation of the Time Devourer. Time has done nothing but let rear end in a top hat anime teenagers gently caress everything up forever. Time for the hero we need, time for a hero to stop time.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I thought Chrono Break had its name changed to Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Mega64 posted:

I thought Chrono Break had its name changed to Final Fantasy XIII-2.

Nah, XIII-2 was originally FFXV+α

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

To be fair, they say "I definitely want to make it" when asked about anything that they have no intention of making. Much like they say "that would be very difficult" or "that's impossible" when what they really mean is "I don't want to/I am not going to do that."

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
So, FFIII on Steam is basically just the DS version, yeah? 15 is a tad much for what amounts to a re-release of a remake, but on the off chance it encourages something like a Bravely Default getting a port and further games of that kind on PC, I can deal with it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kiggles posted:

So, FFIII on Steam is basically just the DS version, yeah? 15 is a tad much for what amounts to a re-release of a remake, but on the off chance it encourages something like a Bravely Default getting a port and further games of that kind on PC, I can deal with it.

Please don't buy bad games with the intention of trying to show the developer you care. Buy FF14 or something.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kiggles posted:

This is consumerism in a nutshell.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The only trophies I need for FFX now are the sphere grid ones, Nemesis, and Penance. Is the Don Tonberry AP trick the best way to get sphere levels? I don't have all the stuff to do Double/Triple AP on weapons, but I do have Overdrive -> AP. Just testing it out, Tidus only gets probably 4-5 sphere levels before Tonberry stops doing Karma. Am I just not fast enough?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Please don't buy bad games with the intention of trying to show the developer you care. Buy FF14 or something.

Excepting I want traditional turn based jRPGs, not MMOs. I also like FFIII well enough. It is definitely flawed, but it fits right in with the sort of games I am looking for, being a simple NES era turn based RPG, but with somewhat modern conveniences in inventory/character management. Mostly just commenting that while I don't like SE constantly pushing these remakes over and over across a tun of platforms, if they're going to do it with these remakes, at least they could give some of their new releases the same treatment.

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI

Kiggles posted:

Excepting I want traditional turn based jRPGs, not MMOs. I also like FFIII well enough. It is definitely flawed, but it fits right in with the sort of games I am looking for, being a simple NES era turn based RPG, but with somewhat modern conveniences in inventory/character management. Mostly just commenting that while I don't like SE constantly pushing these remakes over and over across a tun of platforms, if they're going to do it with these remakes, at least they could give some of their new releases the same treatment.

The idea that any of the changes in FF3DS are conveniences is about as far from the truth as you can be

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kiggles posted:

too bad it doesn't have anything of the things you listed here!

Seriously IIIDS is real bad

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

The idea that any of the changes in FF3DS are conveniences is about as far from the truth as you can be

Lessail posted:

too bad it doesn't have anything of the things you listed here!

Seriously IIIDS is real bad
Must have played a different version on the DS than you guys, because I don't recall the inventory/shops being nearly as obnoxious as the NES. Or are you two understanding the term "somewhat" in a way I don't mean it?

I'm comparing FFIII?DS to FFIII/NES, not FFIII to a modern game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Except for the

Kiggles posted:

somewhat modern conveniences in inventory/character management.

They got rid of the 32 item limit in your inventory, and you don't have to manually unequip each individual piece of equipment when you change someone's class.

e: I'm starting impression that a lot of people don't remember playing / haven't actually played FFIIIDS.

Pneub fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 29, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Kiggles posted:

Must have played a different version on the DS than you guys, because I don't recall the inventory/shops being nearly as obnoxious as the NES. Or are you two understanding the term "somewhat" in a way I don't mean it?

I'm comparing FFIII?DS to FFIII/NES, not FFIII to a modern game.

trying real hard to convince yourself to buy it again i see

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Pneub posted:

e: I'm starting impression that a lot of people don't remember playing / haven't actually played FFIIIDS.

you'd be wrong

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Kiggles posted:

If you don't like what the company is doing then don't reward them for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pneub posted:

Except for the

They got rid of the 32 item limit in your inventory, and you don't have to manually unequip each individual piece of equipment when you change someone's class.

One QOL change in the ocean of garbage mechanical changes/"balance" decisions does not a good (or even mediocre) game make.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN
It's solidly mediocre. I'll never bother playing it again because it isn't actually good, but come on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Harlock posted:

The only trophies I need for FFX now are the sphere grid ones, Nemesis, and Penance. Is the Don Tonberry AP trick the best way to get sphere levels? I don't have all the stuff to do Double/Triple AP on weapons, but I do have Overdrive -> AP. Just testing it out, Tidus only gets probably 4-5 sphere levels before Tonberry stops doing Karma. Am I just not fast enough?

Yeah, Don Tonberry is what it's all about.

Here's what you do; you farm One-Eye. One-Eye is not very difficult to kill - even early on you can use Aeons if your dudes aren't strong enough. One-Eye drops weapons with Triple AP and up to two blank slots. Grab a three-slot weapon with Triple AP for all your guys. By the time you manage this, you'll have built up a whole load of spare weapons you can sell for cash (which you'll need), and a fuckton of Magic Def Spheres, which will also come in handy for stat maxing and for filling in the Grid. Slap Overdrive->AP on these weapons and you have a semi-decent setup for AP grinding. Double AP is actually rather inconvenient to get, so I recommend going for Triple; bribe a Sand Worm 900,000 gil for ~15 of whatever the gently caress stupid rare item it is (it's definitely Sand Worms though) and use that to put Triple AP on your weapons.

The biggest problem you'll be left with is kills. What you want is for one of your dudes to have 1000 kills; this lets Karma hit for 99999 damage. Basically, just throw your highest killing guy in a party with your two lowest killing guys, and make sure one of the low guys has Auto Phoenix (bribe Ghost 99990 gil for ~19 Mega Phoenixes), and have the high-kill guy get hit with Karma. Once you've taken care of the low kill people, you can put the high-kill guys in a party together and go nuts.

If you need to grind kills for someone, just run around the early game areas with them. This is also a pretty good time for capturing monsters.

E: At some point you'll also have Sphere supply issues; fight Kottos, hit him with a Distiller/Extract ability, and overkill him, and you'll get 40 of something. Or sometimes you'll get 2 if you're "lucky". Goddamnit.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pneub posted:

It's solidly mediocre. I'll never bother playing it again because it isn't actually good, but come on.

A game where you can literally be TPKed in a single round before you have the ability to act is not a good game. Sorry to say.

Like, I love FF3 NES, but FF3 DS is not a good game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I AM REBORN

Kyrosiris posted:

A game where you can literally be TPKed in a single round before you have the ability to act is not a good game. Sorry to say.

Like, I love FF3 NES, but FF3 DS is not a good game.

I know, I said it's not actually good. It's just nowhere near as bad or difficult as people are letting on.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Pneub posted:

I know, I said it's not actually good. It's just nowhere near as bad or difficult as people are letting on.

who said it was difficult

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pneub posted:

No, it's pretty drat bad, and while it's not literally impossible the draconian save feature means that you only get one or two shots at bosses before your patient runs out.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Lessail posted:

who said it was difficult

People who never beat the game because the hour and a half long final dungeon followed by a final boss that used particle beam twice in a row for her opening move? 'cause that's why I say it was difficult.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Don Gato posted:

People who never beat the game because the hour and a half long final dungeon followed by a final boss that used particle beam twice in a row for her opening move? 'cause that's why I say it was difficult.

That's not difficult, that's bullshit, there's a difference.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Just a reminder they ported FF3 DS to the OUYA so I wouldn't really take that as sign that they would port anything else to PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Don Gato posted:

'Hard' is not the same as 'obnoxious bullshit'. IIIDS is difficult in the same way beating a game while the person next to you punches you in the dick every time you press a button is. Sure, you could do it, but why would you want too?