Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

The Fragrance of Dark Coffee
What the hell is that thing? Was it in the latest ver update?

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Loner-Assassin posted:

That is what Frod looks like when he goes to hooker, in order to support his gil buying habits.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Loner-Assassin posted:

Spoilers ahoy
Its new to the .dats of this update.
That is speculated to be the final nakuual or the head of them, i think it's hades or some demon thing, the new missions explain what he (presumably) is, you just don't see him yet. The white dragon is a part of the storyline and is not a nakuual, it's in fact on our side.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

frodnonnag posted:

Spoilers ahoy
That is speculated to be the final nakuual or the head of them, i think it's hades or some demon thing, the new missions explain what he (presumably) is, you just don't see him yet. The white dragon is a part of the storyline and is not a nakuual, it's in fact on our side.

Interesting, I need to catch up on my Adoulin missions, still lagging behind on those. Finally got climbing (couldn't get past some of the reives in Marj for the longest time.

Loner-Assassin
Mar 18, 2008

So I finally did the stupid mog and goblin 12th anniversary event for the Aldo cipher (trust). I basically just evened out my damage in the first phase (all 3 exactly the same) then nuked the crap out of them in the second phase... got around 3500+ points from doing that. Anyway, dunno who all's still playing, but hopefully that helps.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

Spoilers ahoy

All the Nakuaals are actually on our side - game mechanics and the ol' gear grind seem to have a problem with that though.

I like it how they've been integrating the mission progress with the expansion's site updates, like the Melvien texts - this past update lead that in an interesting direction. Too bad the nature of the new Leafalia zone (it's like Hall of the Gods and Dragon's Aery had a baby zone with NPCs in it) kinda spoils how events there sort of turn out since you get to walk around in it for a bit before stuff happens.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I just made a new character in Quetz!!! It's been a while since I played but I never got very far. I wanna see all the stories. May I join the LS? I'm online right now my names Cubey

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Goddamnit you cocksuckers i reactivated. Updating.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Goddamnit you cocksuckers i reactivated. Updating.

Make sure to have rng leveled to 99 with an annihilator at ilvl 119. Then you can spam Coronach like everyone else.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Gruknor posted:

Make sure to have rng leveled to 99 with an annihilator at ilvl 119. Then you can spam Coronach like everyone else.

RNG is at the moment the essence of throwing gil at a problem so it goes away.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

RNG+PLD for easy win

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

GarrBear
Sep 7, 2011
Just reactivated, not played since 2011 and reading the changes :psyduck: If anyone's on Fenrir and willing to throw a LS my way I'd really appreciate it, name is Garion in-game. Hell, I'll world transfer, all my friends are long gone

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

GarrBear posted:

Just reactivated, not played since 2011 and reading the changes :psyduck: If anyone's on Fenrir and willing to throw a LS my way I'd really appreciate it, name is Garion in-game. Hell, I'll world transfer, all my friends are long gone

Quetzalcoatl is the goon server. Ask Frodnon for a linkpearl. He is the goon shellholder/guildleader.

P.S. Congratulations in real life Sir Frodnon of Butt Patting for getting a defending ring.
P.P.S. Rng is the job to be if you want to do high end content.

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 28, 2014

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

How does one get the moogle, goblin, and aldo trusts?

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Is there any point in leveling rng without a REM weapon? I'm thinking of re-subbing to this awful games and it would be nice to at least be able to try some of the higher level poo poo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Part of me almost wants to resub to the game so I can get Lion and Aldo and other named characters are summonable party members but nobody plays it anymore and I don't have enough time so I'd play it for a bit and get bummed out.

If FFXI went free to play or lessened the monthly fee I'd probably be all over it.

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Is there any point in leveling rng without a REM weapon? I'm thinking of re-subbing to this awful games and it would be nice to at least be able to try some of the higher level poo poo.

It's def useable without REM but has major hate issues. You can get by if you are smart, but if you're like most DD and obsessed with your own numbers rather than winning you'll wipe the alliance and blame the tank and never get invited again.

Edit: Hell even relic RNGs do that =/

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Back in and ready to get my rune on. :shepface: I was a retard and had a bunch of beitetsu in my bazaar for like 1k which is apparently worth money now since it was bought up immediately. Does dyna currency still sell decently? It's the only thing I have ever really been able to farm consistently.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Back in and ready to get my rune on. :shepface: I was a retard and had a bunch of beitetsu in my bazaar for like 1k which is apparently worth money now since it was bought up immediately. Does dyna currency still sell decently? It's the only thing I have ever really been able to farm consistently.

Beitetsu/Pluton/Riftborn are very easy to get farming the merit points fights for pages and gear. Dynamis currency and Alexandrite both sell very well. I was making 4 million per day, selling all four currencies. Most days I only sold two currencies though. I was working on ghallarhorn. Jadey posted an amazing alexandrite guide a few pages back. Use that till you get the hang of things. If you have thf99/dnc49, that is my favorite combo to farm dyna and salvage 2.

P.S.

CubsWoo posted:

Newer goons on your first or second level 99 job - do you need cash for a relic, to get reforge pieces to push your AF gear to 119 or to powerlevel a craft? Don't want to have to blow 2 hours in Dynamis every day or fund the Brosale army (however, if you do buy gil it's around $2.50/million right now if you trust your information to the Chinese) and want a product that sells super fast?

Then I recommend Soloing Salvage - Arrapago Remnants II. It's pretty brainless for almost all DD jobs, takes about an hour of your time per day and will usually net you well over a million gil in quick-selling Alexandrite. There are a few prerequisites, though:

- You need to be on or past ToAU mission 17 - this can be done very easily by any level 99 character in a few days of forced JP midnight waits.
- A Salvage permit costs 500 Assault points (easily earned either through soloing any PSC assault or exchanging a RoE copper voucher for 1000 Assault Points) and you can get one permit per JP midnight wait.
- You'll want your level 99 job to be mostly merited (especially your merited WS, if applicable, plus things like crit rate/combat skill/job merits that boost damage.)
- You'll want at minimum a full set of job-appropriate RoE Spark gear (Espial/Outrider, jobs with MP may want Wayfarer for an idle set) and basic accessories like a Haste belt to get you to the cap, rings/earrings/back pieces with appropriate stats, etc.
- Each run you should eat food (I recommend yellow/red curry buns or Marinara Pizza) and bring Remedies. You may want a means of Reraise to be safe your first few times in.
- If you aren't using a job that can cast Pro/Shell, it helps to buy scrolls of Instant Protect and Instant Shell from the Peacekeeper's Coalition in Eastern Adoulin. They're 1000 Bayld each, easily earned by doing a few coalition assignments.
- Most people will sub DNC for this, but a few jobs (BLU, PUP, maybe RUN) can get away with subbing THF. If you aren't subbing DNC, be sure to bring oils and powders to get around safely (or just give 800% and don't worry about it!)

Here is my recommended farming path, following the floor layout here: http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Arrapago_Remnants_II - I will also include extra farming opportunites for more Alex/Salvage plans/chances at Cotton Purses for people with better gear or want to spend more time in the zone. A 'skip it all' run will net you ~10 Alex plus 1-2 Linen Purses (50-99 Alex in each) in 30-40 minutes. A nearly full clear will get you ~50 Alex, 0-4+ Cotton Purses (5-20 Alex) and 1-2 Linen Purses in ~70-90 minutes. None of the cotton purses are guaranteed (at best 10% drop rate,) and only one of the two Linens is guaranteed (if you meet certain requirements.) Also note that you get a full HP/MP restore after each teleport up - use this to your advantage.

Floor 1

Unlock what's available at the lamp. You'll always get your main/sub weapon, JA/WS, Magic, and SJ, plus 1 random equip slot, 2 attributes and either HP or MP.

Kill Vultures until you get your Head/Neck and Back/Waist unlocks. Head to the west hallway and kill the Merrow Kabukidancer. Double back south to the leeches and kill them until you get Ranged and Rings/Earrings. Kill the Marrow Shadowdancer in the next south hallway. If you have both MP and Hands unlocked, sneak/invis up and head to the southwest teleport. If you didn't get both, just sneak to the next Merrow in the SW loop and kill it, then sneak past the next leeches and port up. There is a possible NM spawn on this floor but it takes forever to do so I suggest ignoring it.

Floor 2

Unlock anything you didn't get from the Merrows via the lamp (Legs/Feet, Hands, MP), sneak/invis past the mobs, open the door and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill the Merrow and Lamia in the room you start in, then open the door and kill the 4 Archaic Gear in the hallways, then the fifth gear that pops near the teleporter. Each of the 4 gears can drop single Alex, and the 5th can drop a Cotton Purse.

Floor 3

Go west and kill Flytraps until you unlock DEX/AGI/MND, double back east and kill Qutrubs until you unlock INT, sneak/invis north past the Qutrubs and Lamia and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill the Acrolith that pops among the Qutrub, and kill the single Archaic Gear that spawns among the Lamia to pop a second Archaic Gear NM in the room with the teleporter to go up. Both NMs can drop Cotton Purses.

Floor 4

Head west from the teleport in, kill a Lamia Fatedealer to get VIT and CHR (if you don't get one or the other, don't worry, you should be able to unlock it on the next floor's lamp,) head back east to the teleporter room, open the door and port up.

BONUS FARM: Kill all 3 Acroliths that spawn in the room before the Lamia, then kill both Lamia Fatedealers and Lamia Dartists to spawn Lamia Spoliator, then kill it. 4 chances at Cotton Purses.

Floor 5

Follow the path, killing Archaic Gears until you get your Body slot unlock. When you get to the large room, fight an Archaic Rampart in one of the four corners until it does Reinforcements (this will spawn 7 Archaic Gears,) kill the Rampart, then kill Gears until you get a STR unlock, then head east to the teleporter and port up.

BONUS FARM: All single gears on this floor have a chance to drop 1 Alex. All Ramparts and triple Gears are guaranteed to drop 1 Alex, with a chance for 2. For newer players, attempting a full clear of floor 5 is difficult and dangerous - you run the risk of linking all 7 Gears when you pull and even in upper-tier gear, it can occasionally be overwhelming. A full clear of the floor will guarantee you 32 Alex, but 40+ due to double drops/single gear drops isn't out of the question. If you're unsure of your kill speed or survivability, try one Rampart/Gears spawn with Reraise on.

Floor 6

IMPORTANT: You must be able to kill the Armored Chariot in under 3 minutes from when you aggro/engage it. Save TP from the previous floor if possible, or kill an Archaic Chariot to build TP first. Check that your food is still active, and pop your Instant Protect/Instant Shell scrolls if you bought them.

Find the Armored Chariot, engage it, and kill it in under three minutes. Move to the Archaic Rampart in the south portion of the zone, engage it and allow it to use Reinforcements. If it spawns an Archaic Chariot, you killed Armored Chariot too slowly. If it spawns Khimaira, you're good - in either case, kill the Rampart and then whatever spawned from it (~10% chance of Linen Purse from Khim.) Head North and port up to the final floor. Note that Khim can use Fulmination at low HP, so have Remedies ready to counter the very strong Paralyze. Fight Khim on the side to avoid his other bad TP moves (Plague Swipe and Fossilizing Breath.)

BONUS FARM: There are 7 roaming Archaic Chariots on the floor that drop 1 Alex guaranteed with a chance at 2.

Floor 7

Final floor, only one mob - either Khim (if you screwed up Armored Chariot) or Khrysokhimaira Elder (if you didn't.) Elder is guaranteed to drop a Linen, NQ Khim can drop one at the same rate as floor 6 Khim. Elder is marginally more difficult, but not to any extreme. Fight him the same way you fight NQ Khim and feel free to use your 1 hour abilities to speed it up.

If you decide to do this and want an easy way to sell your farm, for the forseeable future I will be buying all Alex at 10,000 gil each. You can probably sell it for ~12k or so in Upper Jeuno and maybe find a buyer but just looking at FFXIAH there's ~3600 Alex up there for that price or higher that nobody making a Mythic is buying. Whether you sell to me or to the open market I hope this helps you get a little richer and a little more geared up!

Gruknor fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 31, 2014

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to give salvage a try on my dnc.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

he is glisten

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

wow so fresh!

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Holy crap. Congratulations!

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Valle posted:

Holy crap. Congratulations!

I paid for the alex portion of jamie's mythic. The real reward has been and will continue to be jamie's endless bitching over poo poo like camping gurfurlur, finishing assaults, finishing einherjar, and now killshot trials.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

I paid in :colbert:

It was also Gulool Ja Ja who was the real bastard; 14 days in that stupid room. Kill shot trials are super easy when I can do them as I sleep. :)

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Argh god drat it just when I thought I was clear it sucked me back in. Currently getting things setup but later today I should be back in as Dojisuave. I joined an older Goon Linkshell on Quetz a few years back and hosed around as a MNK/WAR for a bit before I moved to an apartment and was graced with the worst internet on the planet. Only level 40 something if I remember right.

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur
GetOut is the current GoonLS on Quetzalcoatl. Ask Jamiemadrox, Frodnon, Jewbacca, or Silvereyes for a goonpearl.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah looks like it will have to wait until a weekend or one of my days off before I can catch someone available. I work nights until the end of the month so I am on before 5 PM EST.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Is there something I'm missing as to why SE put job testimonies into the next login campaign?

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005
Probably because of the Maat trust.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Gruknor posted:

GetOut is the current GoonLS on Quetzalcoatl. Ask Jamiemadrox, Frodnon, Jewbacca, or Silvereyes for a goonpearl.
If any other new goons see this post later on, I'm typically not available Tue-Fri unless it's late night.

Usually idle with the game running, but I'm definitely not around :v:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I have messaged Jew and Jamie and both seem to be idle which is understandable since it is mid-day.

In the mean time gonna start The Emissary mission and hopefully avoid being wrecked.

Edit: Also is it because I am using the AHs out of Bastok or do items (spells, weapons and armor) sell at a glacial rate now? Crystals seem slower to sell than I remember as well.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 5, 2014

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Edit: Also is it because I am using the AHs out of Bastok or do items (spells, weapons and armor) sell at a glacial rate now? Crystals seem slower to sell than I remember as well.

All the AH's have been merged, spells are just less common now since less people. A lot of the content that drops spells people dont use.

Crafting is poo poo so crystals slowed down. SE has really neglected crafting the past few years :( A few still have their place due to consumables, but overall there is less incentive to craft.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

They sure haven't neglected smithing :shobon:

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Well that is unfortunate, I will probably start my gilsink into crafting furniture when gil starts flowing.

Speaking of, what is a good way to make gil at low levels? I am currently riding on old funds from when I played years ago and I could pull a boatload of Gil a day from just crystals alone.

Also Shantotto might be my new favorite character at this point.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 5, 2014

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Well that is unfortunate, I will probably start my gilsink into crafting furniture when gil starts flowing.

Speaking of, what is a good way to make gil at low levels? I am currently riding on old funds from when I played years ago and I could pull a boatload of Gil a day from just crystals alone.

Also Shantotto might be my new favorite character at this point.

Get to thirty and fukken ride the chests in abyssea while you cap jobs, merits and subs. You can usually walk away with five digits if not six worth of gil in sellables if you loot the gold chests while being a keybitch. Beyond that, there's leveling fishing while asleep and hitting shall shells for like 30k a night of next to zero effort. Beyond that, get thf, bst or dnc to 99 and farm dynamis or salvage.
Oh, and you can convert record of eminence sparks to gil too, but newbies will get those at a fairly mediocre rate, and need 'em for your first ilvl pieces.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 5, 2014

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

Well poo poo I better start learning about Abyssea then since I am level 38MNK/14WAR

Just hit Rank 3 in comedic exploding stone lettering fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruknor
Feb 23, 2011

Fart Sniffer Connoisseur

Dr. Doji Suave posted:

Well poo poo I better start learning about Abyssea then since I am level 38MNK/14WAR

Just hit Rank 3 in comedic exploding stone lettering fashion.

Go to bgwiki and type abyssea guide in the search bar. I would link it, but it is important that you learn how to use these sites. They will be how you get most of your info about ffxi.