Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
I know this isn't what you're taking issue with, but every time there's a "hope you survive the experience," I cringe so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Is this around the same time as that Spider-Man event later in the year? If so then that's probably the explanation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

MY ABACUS! posted:

I know this isn't what you're taking issue with, but every time there's a "hope you survive the experience," I cringe so hard.
Actually, while I'm excited for Miles, I cringed hard at that too. Bendis is phoning this poo poo in so hard it is unbelievable. Look! A reference to a classic story! Wow! So original!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cabbit posted:

Isn't Bendis at his best writing Ultimate Spidey? Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will rocket his X-Men run to new heights!

I've been dieing for a All New X-Men/ Ultimate Spider-Man team up since All New was announced. This may be peak Bendis.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Spiderdrake posted:

Actually, while I'm excited for Miles, I cringed hard at that too. Bendis is phoning this poo poo in so hard it is unbelievable. Look! A reference to a classic story! Wow! So original!

It's a homage to a classic cover. It is nothing new and people do it all the time.

Fuckstick Electric
Nov 25, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Isn't Bendis at his best writing Ultimate Spidey? Maybe this is the secret ingredient that will rocket his X-Men run to new heights!

Ah, so that's what's causing all of those incursions, it's Bendis.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

It's a homage to a classic cover. It is nothing new and people do it all the time.

Nope sorry! It's that lovely Bendis! He's so lovely that reusing a common X-Men phrase is just another example of him making GBS threads it up. Just like Battle of the Atom was all his lovely doing even though Jason Aaron and Nick Lowe were making decisions.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

bobkatt013 posted:

Its still really dumb, I don't know why other people doing it makes it any less dumb.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its still really dumb, I don't know why other people doing it makes it any less dumb.

It's not just comics, artist homage other artists all the time.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Codependent Poster posted:

Nope sorry! It's that lovely Bendis! He's so lovely that reusing a common X-Men phrase is just another example of him making GBS threads it up. Just like Battle of the Atom was all his lovely doing even though Jason Aaron and Nick Lowe were making decisions.

*Bendis brings back the dumb future X-Men people and makes it worse even after Aaron has left the X books".

"Aarrrrrrrrrrrrron :argh:"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It's not just comics, artist homage other artists all the time.

I bet that's how Greg Land justifies his tracing.

I'm sorry, his homaging.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The problem isn't the catchphrase, the problem is that the X-Men aren't all creepy and freaky looking like they should be. :colbert:

Case in point.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
That cover is seriously up there with some of the Silver Age Superman covers. :psyduck: Do the X-Men beat up new recruits as an initiation rite like a loving street gang or something?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Racist senators stick that cover all over schools and billboards so the citizens of the MU are in a state of perpetual fear to mutants.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I forget what the deal totally was, but I think it was all in Havok's head or something due to a Psylocke mindscrew. Still one of my favorite covers ever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man so much of Longshot got co-opted by Gambit.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

It's actually a fairly story-relevant cover. The story involves Havok having nightmares about the X-Men attacking him, so he goes to New York to find out why. He finds the mansion deserted, but is able to track down the X-Men by following Magneto to the Morlock tunnels. They reveal that he had been there already, but that Psylocke had mind-wiped him so that he couldn't remember (at the time, the team were trying to stay hidden from the Marauders, and were trying to protect their friends and families by not letting them know where they were). In the end, he decides to join the team to help them.

The cover in question though is a direct homage to this one

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Since the Age of Apocalypse is on sale right now at Comixology for a dollar per issue, I am wondering which issues are worth grabbing from it. So far it looking like Alpha & Omega along with Astonishing X-Men are the main parts of it, but any of the side stuff like X-Calibur, Gambit, X-Man, etc are worth grabbing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rirse posted:

Since the Age of Apocalypse is on sale right now at Comixology for a dollar per issue, I am wondering which issues are worth grabbing from it. So far it looking like Alpha & Omega along with Astonishing X-Men are the main parts of it, but any of the side stuff like X-Calibur, Gambit, X-Man, etc are worth grabbing?

It all tells one big story, plots from each book carry into the finale. I'd recommend getting everything except the Chronicles issues.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My memory is very hazy of AoA, but I have every issue, and don't really remember much being bad. Don't really remember much being great either. Amazing X-Men and Generation neXt kind of stand out as the better ones.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Die Laughing posted:

My memory is very hazy of AoA, but I have every issue, and don't really remember much being bad. Don't really remember much being great either. Amazing X-Men and Generation neXt kind of stand out as the better ones.

Astonishing X-Men has the art by Joe Maduria, back when he was really good. I'd definitely recommend that alongside Alpha and Omega.
X-Universe has the fantastic take on Donald Blake which has to be in the Badass moments thread.
I loved Generation neXt, Weapon X, X-Man, X-Calibre and the two X-Men series.

Edit: Looking at the AoA bundle on Comixology it also includes the Blink Mini series (bit of a odd choice) Some one-shots that were produced years after the series was over,and the AoA series set years later that involves the Phoenix, X-23 and Lady Deathstrike.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Speaking of Blink, what is 616-Blink or AOA/Exiles-Blink up to these days? It would make sense to stick one of them in a book since she's a character in the new movie.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

MY ABACUS! posted:

Speaking of Blink, what is 616-Blink or AOA/Exiles-Blink up to these days? It would make sense to stick one of them in a book since she's a character in the new movie.
They're both in character limbo I think. I'm not sure about AOA/Exiles Blink though, she might be dead. 616 Blink is alive again, but hasn't appeared as far as I know since the most recent New Mutants series ended.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Isn't AoA/Exiles Blink still an Exile? I liked the last series, but it had a rather sudden and open ended finale, where the characters just kept going right?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

radlum posted:

Isn't AoA/Exiles Blink still an Exile? I liked the last series, but it had a rather sudden and open ended finale, where the characters just kept going right?

Yes she is still hopping dimension to dimension.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
IMO bringing back 616 Blink was a pretty clear sign that the Exiles brand and everything associated with it is so poisoned that it's going to be a long time before we ever see the "real" Blink (which is kind of funny to think that an alternate version is basically THE version) again.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes she is still hopping dimension to dimension.

The same fate which befell Scott Bakula and the cast of Sliders.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

The same fate which befell Scott Bakula and the cast of Sliders.

At least she escaped being written by Chris Claremont.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
There should be a standard rule that no Marvel comic ever should feature a character in tentacles. The connotations are just cringeworthy.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
I've always thought that Nightcrawler was pretty cool. What are considered the essential/best nightcrawler-centric comics I should start with?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'd put a vote in for the original Excalibur. Kurt ends up becoming the de facto leader and he has a bunch of character development throughout the series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

I've always thought that Nightcrawler was pretty cool. What are considered the essential/best nightcrawler-centric comics I should start with?

The Draco

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Shockeh posted:

There should be a standard rule that no Marvel comic ever should feature a character in tentacles. The connotations are just cringeworthy.

I think we've all wondered about May and Otto's potential wedding night.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

You're a monster.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Saoshyant posted:

I'd put a vote in for the original Excalibur. Kurt ends up becoming the de facto leader and he has a bunch of character development throughout the series.

It's where the swashbuckler component of his chracter is either introduced or at least developed a lot.

He also became Errol Flynn:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

It's where the swashbuckler component of his chracter is either introduced or at least developed a lot.

He also became Errol Flynn:

That also happened in Uncanny X-men 94-mutant massacre. He was a huge swashbuckler and he used to use his image inducer to look like Errol Flynn.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

That also happened in Uncanny X-men 94-mutant massacre. He was a huge swashbuckler and he used to use his image inducer to look like Errol Flynn.

Right. I've only read from 94 through to the end of the second omnibus and I haven't read "Mutant Massacre" in a while, so I couldn't remmeber where or when it started being a big part of his character.

Shockeh posted:

Claremont did that once, in X-Treme X-Men, but it was overshadowed by the villain's henchmen all wearing gimp suits and basically having BDSM as their mutant powers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Right. I've only read from 94 through to the end of the second omnibus and I haven't read "Mutant Massacre" in a while, so I couldn't remmeber where or when it started being a big part of his character.

Claremont did that once, in X-Treme X-Men, but it was overshadowed by the villain's henchmen all wearing gimp suits and basically having BDSM as their mutant powers.

Yeah it was Mutant Massacre that Nightcrawler was injured and helped to set up Excalibur. It was then Fall of the Mutants that was another important element that created that great title.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For maximum Excalibur Nightcrawler fun start at 42, because that's when Davis came back and started really pushing the "Captain Britain is incompetent, Nightcrawler is actually the brains behind this team" angle that Claremont toyed with but never went all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

100% essential Nightcrawler reading. If you read it, you'll never read another Nightcrawler story again!
Who is the blue lass?

• Locked thread