Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Has anyone ever actually disassembled one of those expensive rear end power conditioning boxes that seem to be all the rage lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They had one with a Plexiglas top on display so you could see the insides at a Best Buy or something. I was with my brother who is an electrical engineer and he looked at it and said it did nothing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Real power conditioners do exist of course, but they will do absolutely nothing on functioning electrical systems by design.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Install Windows posted:

Real power conditioners do exist of course, but they will do absolutely nothing on functioning electrical systems by design.

Something like this would definitely filter noise out of your electrical system:

http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Power-Conditioning/PowerSuppress100.asp

And I could potentially see using something like this if you (for some retarded reason) had an extremely large amplifier without APFC on the same circuit as other PF sensitive electronic equipment:

http://www.eaton.com/Eaton/ProductsServices/Electrical/ProductsandServices/PowerQualityandMonitoring/PowerFactorCorrection/LV-AutoVAR300/

That being said, I can't think of a situation where using one of these made any sense for home audio use unless you lived in an area that had terrible power delivery and billed based on apparent power.

Edit: Both of these are <$1000 units, and are designed for industrial and enterprise use. Idiots spend 5 figures on power conditioner snake oil.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 24, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Talking about Eaton, is their stuff worth anything? I'm looking into an UPS of theirs.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I am going to pay someone to measure the room response in my campervan :negative:

I can do that for you but isn't it a bit too 'science' for an audiophile thread?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I am going to pay someone to measure the room response in my campervan :negative:

I measured the room response in my jeep.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Talking about Eaton, is their stuff worth anything? I'm looking into an UPS of theirs.

They're as well known as APC or Tripplite. Never used one, but I've heard good things.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Anecdotal evidence: a customer of mine had all APC in their offices. Not a bad word to say about them, they worked exactly as they were supposed to.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Common/differential noise filters that you build into a circuit cost like $10 in low volume and are just a common mode choke, some inductors, and capacitors between L/N and L+N/PE.

http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/5130-0000-21/filter-inlet-iec-16a-250vac-v-lock/dp/2356668
These things are pretty effective too and should be built in to anything susceptible to or that generates noise, or that generates noise, it's less effective than that Eaton thing at EMI frequencies but will kill any RFI. The Eaton device would be a nice device to put near the circuit breaker though.
There's probably someone who makes a standard power cable with a filter like that built in (one per device is the way to go) at a huge markup.

One thing the audiophiles are right about is that switch mode supplies are big noise generators, additional filtering on the inputs and outputs is a necessity if RFI can cause problems (like ham or AM radio).

Safety Meetings
Feb 4, 2008

My Instagram is blowin' up 24/7.
although I love ridiculing audiophiles, i've gotta say their posting has come in handy.

I've currently got a marantz amplifier and a pair of yamaha studio speakers I got at garage sales for around $80 in total. When i'm buying audio gear, I tend to look up the model number on my phone and if I see many pages of audiophile ramblings I buy it.

Seems to work for me.

eames
May 9, 2009

saw this on boingboing just now, it’s beautiful. A $10000 audiophile CAT7 ethernet cable:

quote:

DIELECTRIC-BIAS SYSTEM (DBS, US Pat #s 7,126,055 & 7,872,195 B1):

All insulation slows down the signal on the conductor inside. When insulation is unbiased, it slows down parts of the signal differently, a big problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio. AudioQuest’s DBS creates a strong, stable electrostatic field which saturates and polarizes (organizes) the molecules of the insulation. This minimizes both energy storage in the insulation and the multiple nonlinear time-delays that occur. Sound appears from a surprisingly black background with unexpected detail and dynamic contrast. The DBS battery packs will last for years. A test button and LED allow for the occasional battery check.

DIRECTIONALITY:

All audio cables are directional. The correct direction is determined by listening to every batch of metal conductors used in every AudioQuest audio cable. Arrows are clearly marked on the connectors to ensure superior sound quality. For best results have the arrow pointing in the direction of the flow of music. For example, NAS to Router, Router to Network Player.

http://www.futureshop.co.uk/audioquest-diamond-rje-ethernet-cable-12m-p-7211.html#.U4XnVF7KOyq

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

It's a shame that even after all this time, nobody has developed a networking protocol with error correction.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GWBBQ posted:

It's a shame that even after all this time, nobody has developed a networking protocol with error correction.

Not to mention one that is bi-directional.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah laugh it up guys, have you ever made an LED that lights up when you press a button? Didn't think so

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Thinking of the rare case of directional cables being a real thing, Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are great. I use Monoprice cables for installations at work and can knock 4% ($1000) off the cost of a classroom installation from scratch, even with a spare of each cable the user can connect to on hand

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GWBBQ posted:

Thinking of the rare case of directional cables being a real thing, Monoprice Redmere HDMI cables are great. I use Monoprice cables for installations at work and can knock 4% ($1000) off the cost of a classroom installation from scratch, even with a spare of each cable the user can connect to on hand

Don't mention Monoprice here, it sets off the audiophiles goons-that-don't-buy-the-cheapest-thing.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The reviews for that silly expensive Cat7...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm totally in the wrong business. I could have made a fortune selling snake oil to audiophiles.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
"multi-octave audio"

I love the idea that someone, somewhere is listening to music made out of a single octave of sine waves and thinking 'There must be more than this'.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

88h88 posted:

The reviews for that silly expensive Cat7...

I agree with the second review, the existence of that cable truly is a middle finger to common logic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

baka kaba posted:

Yeah laugh it up guys, have you ever made an LED that lights up when you press a button? Didn't think so

Have I made a light-emitting diode? No. Have I made a circuit where an LED lights up when you press a button? Yes. It takes like 20 seconds using bread board. :smuggo:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have I made a light-emitting diode? No. Have I made a circuit where an LED lights up when you press a button? Yes. It takes like 20 seconds using bread board. :smuggo:

drat, literally :owned:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

univbee posted:

drat, literally :owned:

I think :thejoke: anyway but I :justpost:.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't mention Monoprice here, it sets off the audiophiles goons-that-don't-buy-the-cheapest-thing.

Because cables are like wine: You don't buy the cheapest, you buy the second cheapest.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Theris posted:

Because cables are like wine: You don't buy the cheapest, you buy the second cheapest.

Monoprice is the second cheapest.

http://www.dx.com/c/consumer-electronics-199/audio-video-cables-123

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Audiophile mockery be damned, cheap RCA and TRS cables can gently caress right off.
I'm not sure I've ever seen one last more than a few months before at least one conductor was unreliable, if I find one I just assume it's broken because it usually is.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

For home use? Stick your dick in the connector for all I care. For professional use? Don't you loving dare buy cheap cables and then assume they'll still be intact after 400 idiots have fiddled with them because "I need to plug in my Itunes" or something ludicrous like that.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah. I thought we had this argument a few months back. Buy nice cables for professional use because they are sturdy not because they "sound better".

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

longview posted:

Audiophile mockery be damned, cheap RCA and TRS cables can gently caress right off.
I'm not sure I've ever seen one last more than a few months before at least one conductor was unreliable, if I find one I just assume it's broken because it usually is.

Using well constructed audio cabling isn't audiophile, it's common sense. This thread is about laughing at people who think interconnects need to cost $thousands because of the magic pixie dust inside that makes them better, but not measurably so.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I make my own cables for both home and use with my PA. It's nice to know the structural quality of the stuff you're using.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

88h88 posted:

I make my own cables for both home and use with my PA. It's nice to know the structural quality of the stuff you're using.

A lot of people cut off the old connector and solder in a new one whenever they buy new headphones because it removes one worry. (And it's not exactly a lengthy operation anyway.)

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

EL BROMANCE posted:

Using well constructed audio cabling isn't audiophile, it's common sense. This thread is about laughing at people who think interconnects need to cost $thousands because of the magic pixie dust inside that makes them better, but not measurably so.

Quantum conditioned, gold plated, oxygen evacuated, uni-directional pixie dust. Mere plebeian pixie dust will not suffice for Golden Ears.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

longview posted:

The thing is that professional-quality cables cost like $20 and not $17,000. Your average home theater owner is going to unplug and re-plug what, maybe once a year?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jerry Cotton posted:

But does it also have a box with bolts sticking out of it so you can test fuses? You ain't on my level

By 'test fuses' I of course mean that it aligns the conductor's molecules in the direction of electron flow, using an alignment phasing pattern that matches the frequency of your AC supply, to truly condition your power at the very point it enters your system

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

baka kaba posted:

But does it also have a box with bolts sticking out of it so you can test fuses? You ain't on my level

By 'test fuses' I of course mean that it aligns the conductor's molecules in the direction of electron flow, using an alignment phasing pattern that matches the frequency of your AC supply, to truly condition your power at the very point it enters your system

No I don't think the book gets to those before chapter 3 or something.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I need the S-parameters of a fuse for my audiophile amp

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

longview posted:

I need the S-parameters of a fuse for my audiophile amp

Wouldn't that be for a capacitor ? And, if so, is actually very important when constructing or servicing crossover networks.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK Everyone! Put up or loving shut up. The Philips Golden Ear challenge!

Golden ear training and blind A/B/C tests. Some of them are easy, some of them like the 6db coloration tests I couldn't do, atleast from my Samsung Chromebook. I think to get a good score, you would need to listen at near reference levels on decent calibrated speakers, like they do in studios.

Edit: Maybe I should provide a link: https://www.goldenears.philips.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

jonathan posted:

OK Everyone! Put up or loving shut up. The Philips Golden Ear challenge!

Golden ear training and blind A/B/C tests. Some of them are easy, some of them like the 6db coloration tests I couldn't do, atleast from my Samsung Chromebook. I think to get a good score, you would need to listen at near reference levels on decent calibrated speakers, like they do in studios.

Edit: Maybe I should provide a link: https://www.goldenears.philips.com

I wanna see how my computers do at home.