Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Rat Covenant is one of the most creative and one of the least disruptive. Even if you don't like PvP it's fun, because there's nothing at stake to be lost from being summoned by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kaldaris posted:

Rat Covenant is one of the most creative and one of the least disruptive. Even if you don't like PvP it's fun, because there's nothing at stake to be lost from being summoned by one.

I really like the "nothing at stake" part, but even though I've been in both the areas on all my characters I've only been invaded once by a ratbro :(

sushibandit posted:

As such, I've started giving all of my new characters 99 cracked redeye orbs that I slowly burn through as I'm running around playing the game and building the character up.

That's actually.. a really interesting idea. If I was invaded in my playthroughs by someone who was actually playing through the game just like myself (and presumably on the same level and with the same access to gear), PVP might be interesting. I've had a couple of fights like this, and even with the horrible lag they've been quite enjoyable in that; 1) they're not necessarily über into PVP and 2) neither of us is killing the other in two hits.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sushibandit posted:

One of the starting gifts should be a reusable (un-cracked) red eye orb that is destroyed once the character reaches an arbitrary limit - say 1m soul memory, or joins the bloodbro covenant. That would be a reasonable compromise between "watch the world burn" players being able to go invasion-crazy and actually making the bluebro covenant worth joining for carebears.

That's pretty much the opposite of why they switched over to cracked eye orbs, though. The point is to limit early invasions, it's why you can't even get access to easy renewable cracked orbs until NG+. If anything it should be the reverse, an uncracked orb that doesn't work until NG+ or past a certain soul memory.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kaldaris posted:

Tell that to the guy whose armor and rings I melted in acid. :v:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

RBA Starblade posted:

Tell that to the guy whose armor and rings I melted in acid. :v:

And then there's this human being ...

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Old Whip +5 is fuckin' bad rear end. Dual-wielding with the spotted whip deals insane damage.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Colapops posted:

Pretty much, yes. Whenever I make a character with a weird skintone it's always on the lighter side of the spectrum because that hides the weird facial... uh... snowiness. The bizarre splotches of black and white and red that appear for seemingly no reason.

Unfortunately I went back and looked at my character and she definitely has facial discolorations, I just did not care so much because I knew her face would be covered for 90% of the game.
To get the blue tone set the color strength to full, the orange-blue slider all the way to blue, the purple-yellow slider toward purple, and fiddle with the red-green till you get a consistency you like. Set the age to young and fiddle with the hormones (more feminine = better blue color, but more disparity on the face). The lipstick1-dark red with a bit of lipstick2-dark blue looks ok, but I suggest adjusting that to your preference and paying attention to how it changes the colors around the mouth as well. Finally, go through the eyes2 colors and tweak each slider in either direction to see how it affects the discolorations. I find giving blue people darker eyelids can help.

Other sliders to consider:
-under nose1 there is a nose redness slider
-under overall2 there is a cheek redness slider and laugh lines slider

To get an idea of how a slider is affecting your overall skintone, look at the shoulders/collarbone rather than the face when you tweak one. Also make sure you turn the face from side to side to see if you are building a "mask" effect (where the face is much lighter than the surrounding skintone).

Start with a bald character (you can leave eyebrows if you adjust them) with either black or low saturation color eyes to best elucidate skintones.

Tattoos can be used to hide certain areas of discoloration but you generally don't want to rely on them too much as they eliminate the skintone nuances (play with the opacity a bit) and can create a "mask" effect. But for example, if you try to make a completely black character you may find you have red discoloration in the center of the face. You can use the large dot tattoo to hide this, or you can use a tattoo with more lines and incorporate the redness into your face like a warpaint.

:shrug: I know too much about this. Male characters are easier to do funny skintones on because you can hide the discoloration around the mouth with a beard. Red is the easiest color to make an actual "clean" and solid skintone.

fuxxo
Feb 17, 2010

Fucking Pokemon, how do they Surf?
Pro tip if you want the face to be 1 colour just use the circle tattoo, make it as big as possible, position it so it's covering the whole face and make it whatever colour you want.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Re: character coloration discussion. I've found that colors are more vivid (and there are many more artifacts) when setting the "color intensity" slider higher. Try toning that down as much as you can while still retaining the depth of color you're going for.

Your Computer posted:

That's actually.. a really interesting idea. If I was invaded in my playthroughs by someone who was actually playing through the game just like myself (and presumably on the same level and with the same access to gear), PVP might be interesting. I've had a couple of fights like this, and even with the horrible lag they've been quite enjoyable in that; 1) they're not necessarily über into PVP and 2) neither of us is killing the other in two hits.

A primary motivation behind that decision is my disgust at not being invaded in NG a single time on any of the dozen-odd characters I've taken to 2.5-3m SM or so by the end of the playthrough. I was expecting something more like the original Dark Souls where certain zones were invasion hotspots that you'd be lucky to get through without having someone try and stop you. I consider invasion pvp a core part of the ideal Dark Souls (2) experience that everyone should have to deal with at least a few times in a single playthrough.

Letting bluebros actually get some action really early on where hosts clearly need the help (they joined, after all) is just icing on the cake that will hopefully get a few people who are newer to the series to stick around instead of getting bored and wandering to other games.

Kaldaris posted:

And then there's this human being ...

If a player is trying to avoid the consequences of dying by using an item that's breakable, you'd better believe I'm going to try and break it especially if they lose literally nothing else (ratbro invasions). I'd hazard to state that it's your job to try and dick someone over that way.

TGLT posted:

That's pretty much the opposite of why they switched over to cracked eye orbs, though. The point is to limit early invasions...

I don't think they really even knew what they wanted, just that they needed to change something because reasons. I personally think that some of the developers got bent over a lot by twinkwraiths when they played the first game and wanted revenge, but that's just my theory.

A lack of early orbs means that an entire covenant that's basically shoved in a player's face at the very beginning of the game as "hey, if you need help join these guys!" is 100% useless. Either the covenant mechanics/placement are victims of lovely redesign, the orb system is a victim of lovely redesign, or both are. It's terribly designed system when you go from effectively zero player invasions in NG to practically nonstop invasions in NG+. There's no balance.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
My second time getting invaded on my most recent character ever was a red who caught me in the middle of fiddling with weapon setups in the middle of Brightstone Cove Tseldora and he got to me fast enough that I never had time to switch back to my "real" weapon and was stuck doing about 50 damage a swing to the guy. Was also hollow at the time.

I really really despise that the only way to be truly safe in this game anymore is to either go to Majula or exit the game. If they wanted to make hollowed invasions possible, they should've added a pause button while they were at it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

sushibandit posted:

I don't think they really even knew what they wanted, just that they needed to change something because reasons. I personally think that some of the developers got bent over a lot by twinkwraiths when they played the first game and wanted revenge, but that's just my theory.

This needs a spoiler tag because?

And while I wouldn't go that far, it does very much seem like whoever was managing the project didn't do quite as good a job as they ought to have. A number of the design decisions just don't mesh well together, such as limited enemy spawns and super rare drop rates, or being able to be invaded all the time but making it nearly impossibly to invade prior to ng+.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Toadsmash posted:

My second time getting invaded on my most recent character ever was a red who caught me in the middle of fiddling with weapon setups in the middle of Brightstone Cove Tseldora and he got to me fast enough that I never had time to switch back to my "real" weapon and was stuck doing about 50 damage a swing to the guy. Was also hollow at the time.

I really really despise that the only way to be truly safe in this game anymore is to either go to Majula or exit the game. If they wanted to make hollowed invasions possible, they should've added a pause button while they were at it.

Aren't you safe while resting at bonfires as well?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Toadsmash posted:

Burn an effigy.

quote:

No. Like in DS1, if you're invaded at a bonfire, you immediately leave the menu as the bonfire goes out. It'll force you out of it if you're getting summoned to the belfries as well.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I spent a chunk of yesterday playing a new character modeled after Strong Belwas from A Song of Ice and Fire. Was going really great in Belfry Luna killing people for chunks. On the last kill I needed to get my scimitars to +9 I killed a dude and got 247,000 souls. That's enough to take me from level 68 to level 90. I guess I'll dump everything into levels cause all I use is some lovely armor for appearance and two scimitars. Still sucks to have my soul memory skewed like that.

I'm dreaming of a day in which From/Valve take this poo poo seriously. :(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

No. Like in DS1, if you're invaded at a bonfire, you immediately leave the menu as the bonfire goes out. It'll force you out of it if you're getting summoned to the belfries as well.

Ah.

I guess given you can just warp to Majula anyway it's not a big deal.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

no lol
You're safe from other enemies but not being invaded, was like that in DaS1 as well.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sushibandit posted:

A lack of early orbs means that an entire covenant that's basically shoved in a player's face at the very beginning of the game as "hey, if you need help join these guys!" is 100% useless. Either the covenant mechanics/placement are victims of lovely redesign, the orb system is a victim of lovely redesign, or both are. It's terribly designed system when you go from effectively zero player invasions in NG to practically nonstop invasions in NG+. There's no balance.

I think they knew exactly what they wanted, as indicated by all the changes they made to curtail early invasions and twinking. Soul memory is clearly targeted at restricting people's ability to run through the entire game on a character but still invade babies in the baby forest. It probably should have only taken into account souls spent on your levels and the effective value of your equipment, but hey. Sometimes you gently caress up the first implementation of things. In Demon's Souls you had to kill yourself to do PvP. That was pretty dumb.

I'm not saying no uncracked orb or soul memory is the best implementation, just that it's very clear they want to limit how much you get invaded in NG which is, honestly, a good way to increase the game's accessibility without making it significantly easier. And although soul memory is targeted at twinks, the lack of cracked orbs is also clearly just intended to give people running through NG breathing room for the first run without completely removing the threat of murder dudes. Just like if you go offline you'll get some special NPC phantom invasions but they don't respawn until NG+. edit: Also the fact that NG+ is on a completely different matchmaking list.

Also Way of the White was legit useless, Way of the Blue is at least sometiems helpful in NG. I don't know why you're harping on the safety net covenant not being the most useful covenant in the game. And lots of people took issue with Undead Burg dickwraiths. It was a pretty significant problem that got in the way of people enjoying the game. I hope they fix soul memory but, honestly, not having to deal with a thousand lightning claymores every time I start a new character is a relief.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The problem with Way of the Blue is that it doesn't actually do anything most of the time in NG, to the extent you could go through all of NG and never see a benefit from it beyond a crappy ring you replace a few areas in. It's not much of a safety net if you only get invaded once and that time a Fun Cop didn't spawn. It doesn't need to be the absolute best, but it should feel like it's actually doing something

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Dirty Job posted:

Old Whip +5 is fuckin' bad rear end. Dual-wielding with the spotted whip deals insane damage.

shame you can't powerstance them together though. i ended up just infusing a normal whip with poison for my old whip powerstanced needs.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Always funny when character's crotch goes crazy with cloth physics in the ending cutscene.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Deaderinred posted:

shame you can't powerstance them together though. i ended up just infusing a normal whip with poison for my old whip powerstanced needs.

Yes you can.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

Just a quick progression question: I think I saw somebody say that getting the 4 great souls is roughly equivalent to ringing the bells in DS1, is that true?

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Just a quick progression question: I think I saw somebody say that getting the 4 great souls is roughly equivalent to ringing the bells in DS1, is that true?

No way, it's more like entering Anor Londo.

YouSpoonyBard
May 10, 2007
You Killed Anna!

HellCopter posted:

No way, it's more like entering Anor Londo.

Oh thank christ, I've poured like 35 hours into this game. I've always enjoyed the length of Souls games but this is like really impressive and also really draining at the same time.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Genocyber posted:

Yes you can.
I've tried power-stancing with an Old Whip in each hand. Works pretty well as long as I kill my opponent in like four or five hits. If not... well, now I'm fighting them unarmed.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

YouSpoonyBard posted:

Oh thank christ, I've poured like 35 hours into this game. I've always enjoyed the length of Souls games but this is like really impressive and also really draining at the same time.

You will be a pariah and internationally renowned criminal if you don't put at least 500 hours into the game and play it to NG++++, clearly

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Robot Hobo posted:

I've tried power-stancing with an Old Whip in each hand. Works pretty well as long as I kill my opponent in like four or five hits. If not... well, now I'm fighting them unarmed.

You should try using a knuckle ring.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

This might be the dumbest idea I've ever had. (I cropped the spells out by accident but I'm using Sacred Oath)

Shield bashes should do about 700 damage while simultaneously blocking. The only danger is that the dark defense on that shield is low. If I infuse it with Dark, it becomes one of the best all around defensive shields, but I'd lose a lot of my damage unless I infuse it with resonant weapon, and I'm pretty sure I can't do that with a shield.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

YouSpoonyBard posted:

tbh I think this game kinds wears out it's welcome at a point. I was really losing interest around the time I got to Brightstone Cove Tseldora. but that probably has to do with that being the worst area in the game and not feeling much sense of purpose with what I was doing.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If From didn't consider PvP to be an important part of the game then the effigy burning system wouldn't have been added.

bandano
Jul 5, 2011
So, what's the deal with summoning people in? I'm really into beating the bosses on my own, but the summons are clutch for puttin' me human again. Are people laying white soapstones for co-op fun? Just to get human again and nothing else? For soul collectin'?

I'm guessing some people enjoy the help when they're stuck, but I wanted to know if there's some community view I'm not aware of.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
And they wouldn't have made every covenant in the game besides Sunbros and Pilgrims about pvp (though even pilgrims has its own unique pvp element).

Seriously though try abyss pvp, it's great.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just put on a Ring of Life Protection if you've got a bloodstain you're trying to get to.

Wait, if you die trying to get to your bloodstain with one of those rings on it won't disappear? I guess it kinda makes sense, you aren't leaving a new one to override the old one but still I'd have thought it'd go away regardless.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Wait, if you die trying to get to your bloodstain with one of those rings on it won't disappear?

Yes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

bandano posted:

So, what's the deal with summoning people in? I'm really into beating the bosses on my own, but the summons are clutch for puttin' me human again. Are people laying white soapstones for co-op fun? Just to get human again and nothing else? For soul collectin'?

I'm guessing some people enjoy the help when they're stuck, but I wanted to know if there's some community view I'm not aware of.
People like jolly cooperation, plus the benefits for the summoned player (humanity restoration, sunlight medals, tokens for polizei sparring) mean that you're often helping the other player as well.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If I want to do a str/pyro/mace build, recommendations for bludgeoning weapon of choice? Would prefer powerstancing.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Crackbone posted:

If I want to do a str/pyro/mace build, recommendations for bludgeoning weapon of choice? Would prefer powerstancing.

A powerstanced basic club will turn the game into paste.

Though if you want some REAL fun, powerstance the large and great club. Be doing so much damage you'll wonder why people even bother with casting.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 29, 2014

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Lay down 4 red signs on the iron bridge, 4 gank squads.

This is starting to get boring.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Daynab posted:

Use a dragon sign. E: Unless you're going for tokens. Then my condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Daynab posted:

Join the Dragonbros. Same thing but no gank squads.