Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

AV Club put up their review of the first couple of episodes of Crossbones and apparently, marketing aside, Malkovich is barely in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought Review was fantastic the whole way through but I'm still not sure I want it to have another season. It would be such a perfect one-and-done.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
No Eastbound and Down thread as far as I can tell so I'll just post about it here. Just started watching the other day since HBO is on Prime now and I'm loving it. Finished up the first season last night and what I really appreciate about it is how beautifully it manages to flow between drama and comedy. The moment where Kenny receives the call from the talent agent (played beautifully by Adam Scott) telling him how he wasn't actually supposed to offer him the job and goes on to describe in detail how his life is in a downward spiral really blew me away. Kenny's face while listening to this as his "fans" cheer him on managed to be simultaneously completely hilarious and completely tragic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That reminds me that HBO is ordered another series with Danny McBride and Jody Hill called Vice Principles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

muscles like this? posted:

AV Club put up their review of the first couple of episodes of Crossbones and apparently, marketing aside, Malkovich is barely in the show.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised at all but that's still disappointing as gently caress to hear.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Well, I was willing to give the show a chance, so I DVR'd it, but in light of this news, I don't think i'll end up watching it. What a shame.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

No Eastbound and Down thread as far as I can tell so I'll just post about it here. Just started watching the other day since HBO is on Prime now and I'm loving it. Finished up the first season last night and what I really appreciate about it is how beautifully it manages to flow between drama and comedy. The moment where Kenny receives the call from the talent agent (played beautifully by Adam Scott) telling him how he wasn't actually supposed to offer him the job and goes on to describe in detail how his life is in a downward spiral really blew me away. Kenny's face while listening to this as his "fans" cheer him on managed to be simultaneously completely hilarious and completely tragic.

First season was the best season, and if people are talking about ending on a high note, the show would have been a lot better off to end right there.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm actually quite surprised with 24 this Season. I was very down on the first two episodes, but once they've got poo poo going it's been working pretty well. One review highlighted something I thought worked in the last episode in that the conflict doesn't need to be an arbitrary roadblock just to pad out time. When someone has an objection they've by and large given solid reasons behind it. There's perhaps one or two moments of WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE YOU? but they've levelled those out now. It really benefits from streamlining and I hope that if they bring it back they don't get cocky and go back to 24 episodes again.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

DrVenkman posted:

One review highlighted something I thought worked in the last episode in that the conflict doesn't need to be an arbitrary roadblock just to pad out time. When someone has an objection they've by and large given solid reasons behind it. There's perhaps one or two moments of WHY SHOULD I BELIEVE YOU? but they've levelled those out now.

Two points:
a) We're in hour five. Historically, 24 has always managed to keep it together through the first six or so episodes.
b) This whole season has been wrought with arbitrary roadblocks. For instance, how many times has blondie been told to "shut up and go away" even though she's been right 100% of the time?

The Onion is wrong on this point, but that's okay because 24 is pretty good so far this season.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Shageletic posted:

First season was the best season, and if people are talking about ending on a high note, the show would have been a lot better off to end right there.

While I do think that the middle seasons weren't as good as the first, the final one was on the same level of excellence as the first, if not even better, and it ended the show on so many great notes.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
ooh, orange is the new black season 2 comes out in like a week! *cue tv hipsters lining up to tell us how that show's actually really lovely and racist*

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bown posted:

ooh, orange is the new black season 2 comes out in like a week! *cue tv hipsters lining up to tell us how that show's actually really lovely and racist*

*cue all the hipsters and anti-racists come in for a HUGE party*

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

24 is not a "good show" in the conventional sense anymore and won't ever be again. It is what it is, warts and all, and that's part of its charm.

It's exactly what it should be, which is a well-made, entertaining piece of popcorn television.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

24 is not a "good show" in the conventional sense anymore and won't ever be again. It is what it is, warts and all, and that's part of its charm.

It's exactly what it should be, which is a well-made, entertaining piece of popcorn television.

I think it's always been a conventionally good show, and continues to be.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

Please define what a hipster is and explain its relevance to this post. TIA

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Please define what a hipster is and explain its relevance to this post. TIA

Or don't, because no one wants to have this debate again.

Seriously, I know I'm not positive about most TV shows but what's with everyone's attitude towards each other? No wonder everyone thinks the forums are going to poo poo when we're all throwing tantrums over harmless post.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
News post:

Kevin Reilly is stepping down in June as 'Chairman of Entertainment' at Fox.

(Obviously delayed punishment for renewing Glee for two seasons last year.)

http://tvline.com/2014/05/29/fox-chairman-kevin-reilly-steps-down/

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Like I said above watch "The Great War" because it's really good. You don't even have to track it down, I've done it for you!

This is from a few days ago but I want to thank you for posting this. I'm about halfway through (there are something like 30 episodes) and it's amazing. Anybody who has any interest at all in WWI should check it out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix is doing a How to Train Your Dragon spinoff series.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So does that mean the Cartoon Network series is canceled?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's been around for a few years. Cartoon Network doesn't want it anymore so Netflix bought the broadcast rights instead. They did the same thing for Clone Wars.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

I'm getting to near the end of season 1 of Once upon a Time, and all I want to know is how do you tie up a scarf like Jefferson's?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Poor, poor VFX artist who only had a week to put that together...

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

I've seen pre-viz that looks better than that.

e: Also, context please. I'm dying to know how this came about, and I'm not sullying my Netflix history with an episode of Last Man Standing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That looks like something out of Xavier: Renegade Angel, except that was purposefully bad.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

JohnSherman posted:

I've seen pre-viz that looks better than that.

e: Also, context please. I'm dying to know how this came about, and I'm not sullying my Netflix history with an episode of Last Man Standing.

Mike Baxter, Tim Allen's character, in LMS works as like the front man/social media pr guy for Outdoor Man, which is where he works at (it's a Cabela's knockoff)

Mike frequently makes vlogs for their store which is usually where the most racist poo poo/misogynist writing in LMS comes out (like he once made a blog literally all about how he can't say the word "friend of the family" without being called a racist). It's basically a stormfront video in te middle of episodes of this bad sitcom

Anyways he made a video in season 3 episode 2 about how much teenagers suck at driving and capped it with that in the video

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Speaking of bad sitcoms, is anyone else watching Undateable? Ron Funches deserves better than this. Of course, this is NBC, so who knows how long they'll keep this on. There's like a Disney Channel sitcom level of laughtrack / line spoken ratio.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Thanks to Amazon Prime I'm catching up on some HBO poo poo I missed. Is there a point where Big Love starts sucking poo poo I should be aware of? I really like it so far but I just started season 2 and there's a lot of episodes left covering what I think is a concept that doesn't have a ton of depth to it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

E PLURIBUS ANUS posted:

Mike Baxter, Tim Allen's character, in LMS works as like the front man/social media pr guy for Outdoor Man, which is where he works at (it's a Cabela's knockoff)

Mike frequently makes vlogs for their store which is usually where the most racist poo poo/misogynist writing in LMS comes out (like he once made a blog literally all about how he can't say the word "friend of the family" without being called a racist). It's basically a stormfront video in te middle of episodes of this bad sitcom

Anyways he made a video in season 3 episode 2 about how much teenagers suck at driving and capped it with that in the video

Is it supposed to be CGI in universe?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The guy who plays Cutler in Eastbound and Down needs to be in way more episodes. Just got to him in S3 and his baby speech: "Your life is going to be difficult because both of your parents are horrible :)"

He's loving hilarious. Plays so well off Danny Mcbride.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

raditts posted:

Speaking of bad sitcoms, is anyone else watching Undateable? Ron Funches deserves better than this. Of course, this is NBC, so who knows how long they'll keep this on. There's like a Disney Channel sitcom level of laughtrack / line spoken ratio.
You look like Jesus if he lived in Chicago!

Okay...? :confused:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Thanks to Amazon Prime I'm catching up on some HBO poo poo I missed. Is there a point where Big Love starts sucking poo poo I should be aware of? I really like it so far but I just started season 2 and there's a lot of episodes left covering what I think is a concept that doesn't have a ton of depth to it.
There is a really huge season ending revelation and it is all downhill from there. But it still has some good parts.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cardboard Box A posted:

You look like Jesus if he lived in Chicago!

Okay...? :confused:

There is a really huge season ending revelation and it is all downhill from there. But it still has some good parts.

Really? Hit me with it, with season one ending on an outing and a "he was jealous of a child who was totally destined to run our cult" implications I can't see what's left.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

All I remember about Big Love is that the longer it goes the more it moves away from "interesting and thought provoking dramatic presentation of polygamy and its affects on those in it" towards "weird as loving poo poo soap opera."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought Big Love was quite fine through all of seasons 1-4, especially 3. I hear season 5 ended on a pretty dumb note, but not Dexter levels of bad or anything.

The later seasons are worth it for spoiler space Alby spoiler space alone.

edit: though yes, it does kind of get soap opera-ish in its way

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PantsBandit posted:

The guy who plays Cutler in Eastbound and Down needs to be in way more episodes. Just got to him in S3 and his baby speech: "Your life is going to be difficult because both of your parents are horrible :)"

He's loving hilarious. Plays so well off Danny Mcbride.

That's Andy Daly. He stars in Review and has been on Comedy Bang! Bang! and stuff and is sorely underrated.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

raditts posted:

I set it to DVR because I'm willing to give anything with Ron Funches a chance, plus Chris D'elia is always solid. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm under no illusions that it will make it to a 2nd season or likely that it will even be decent.

There's a reason some shows gets premiered in the summer instead of the Fall with the big boys.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My Dad met Tim Allen at one of those big car auctions you see on TV all the time. Apparently, he’s a raging rear end in a top hat in person, so perhaps art imitates life?

He also ran into Christopher Titus and said he’s one of the nicer and cooler “car guys” he’s met. Now there’s a sitcom (Titus) I really miss.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

CobiWann posted:

He also ran into Christopher Titus and said he’s one of the nicer and cooler “car guys” he’s met. Now there’s a sitcom (Titus) I really miss.

Titus slowly (since the airing of his first special) either hid it well and it started to leak, or he did indeed begin to turn into a baby version of what apparently is now Bizarro Tim Allen, going by his old quantum-physics-obsessed Home Improvement days. Of course he would like Titus. Peas in a pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Season 4 is not very good. Season 3 was probably the best one.

• Locked thread