Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I dunno, guys, the savvy political commentators at Animal Nuz are projecting that the Democrats are a lock to take the House this year :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Let's all flip out and draw conclusions from statistics we don't understand :suicide:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

zoux posted:

My sense has always been that Voter ID laws weren't going to suppress turnout nearly as much as Democrats feared or Republicans hoped. Generally because people who didn't have IDs probably weren't voting in the first place.

This was largely the finding of the NC board of elections last year going through DMV and voter records. Still it had a disproportionate impact on black democratic voters.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

axeil posted:

To be serious for a moment, I'm actually gonna go out on a limb here and say that Bush's actions during the financial crisis move him out of the bottom three and into the bottom five or ten. That might be more on his picks for Treasury Secretary and FRB Chairman than the man himself, but he still deserves credit for realizing it was serious and not totally torpedoing the economy. Which, at the time, I thought he was going to do.

He was still a horrible president but at least he didn't burn down the economy when everything was melting down.

That's a really low bar. Like aside from how generous the whole bailout situation wound up being, etc., I don't think "only hosed up MOST of the major crises of his administration" should get him many points.

Amused to Death posted:

They can afford to lose one of those and still gain the Senate. This isn't even counting Colorado, Michigan, Virginia, and Iowa where they still have a small chance.

That small chance of Democrats losing Virginia is pretty darn small, like "Mark Warner gets hit by a bus or kills a puppy live on TV" small. Anyone who thinks Virginia's got more than a 3% chance of going red either hasn't done their homework, is just BSing for the Republicans, or has dirty pictures of Mark Warner. I can't stand the guy, but the reality is that he's not in danger here.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

whitey delenda est posted:

Let's all flip out and draw conclusions from statistics we don't understand :suicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQLV7nqD3CA

This will never get old.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Guilty Spork posted:

I also wonder what the hell the point of a school paying a 5- or 6-figure sum to get some famous person to give a speech to outgoing students is, regardless of the speaker's political or ideological inclinations. If my college has an extra hundred grand kicking around I'd want it to go to something to actually benefit the students, even if I'm graduating and not going to benefit directly. It's not like the ceremony won't have enough speeches and pomp already, and at least those will be from people who, you know, are actually involved in the school in some way.

Not to go too far down the rabbit hole with this, but I had some insight to budgeting at my grad school, since our organization asked for a rather sizable lump of money each year. Most large donations come earmarked straight out of the gate, which makes it impossible to shift that money to other resources. Sadly, we found that most donations went towards cosmetic changes on campus that didn't really impact day to day life within departments and organizations.
For the money that isn't earmarked, that then gets distributed to committees, which then immediately earmark the money anyway. Once that money is allocated, it becomes nearly impossible to shift it around. It's a large bureaucratic nightmare. The only way to ever get at the money is to wait for the funding year to end, and only if it doesn't roll over can it maybe be redistributed elsewhere. Possibly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Wait... wait! Karl Rove is now reporting that this joke did indeed get old sometime in mid 2013!

It really doesn't.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

How long have you been following this thread?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe Biden, back from a tour of East Asia and giving commencement speeches, doesn't get why people make such a big deal about printing, gunpowder, paper currency, natural gas, playing cards, and e-cigs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuEOVL_ICew

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
A few notes:

-I support politicians saying "give me a break"

-Biden's old

-Looking forward to the next excerpt from that speech, "name me one 7-11 cashier who's not named Habib"

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DemeaninDemon posted:

How long have you been following this thread?

well this was just a particularly egregious example of sentiment swaying from Apocalyptic to Ecstatic within the context of one number, but as always it's up to people like me, Asinine Shitpost Man, to make a DIFFERENCE.

In political news: has this been posted in this thread? The "which administration worse" derail caused me to black out.

John Kerry wants Edward Snowden to just sack up, what are you, a pussy?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27614001

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

well this was just a particularly egregious example of sentiment swaying from Apocalyptic to Ecstatic within the context of one number, but as always it's up to people like me, Asinine Shitpost Man, to make a DIFFERENCE.

In political news: has this been posted in this thread? The "which administration worse" derail caused me to black out.

John Kerry wants Edward Snowden to just sack up, what are you, a pussy?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27614001

Indeed, three pages ago:

Our political structure is almost indistinguishable from a 3rd grade playground but for the massive piles of money involved.

e: How about an Onion to cheer things up on a recent topic!

quote:

ISLA VISTA, CA—In the days following a violent rampage in southern California in which a lone attacker killed seven individuals, including himself, and seriously injured over a dozen others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Tuesday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said North Carolina resident Samuel Wipper, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep this guy from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what he really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past five years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

Haha, what a funny article. :smithicide:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Clinton and Bush hit the strike zone, but you leave them up and center and you're right in the power hitters' wheelhouse. Sotomayor is a headhunter, Alito is way too far to the right, and Obama is too lofty.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Clinton and Bush hit the strike zone, but you leave them up and center and you're right in the power hitters' wheelhouse. Sotomayor is a headhunter, Alito is way too far to the right, and Obama is too lofty.

T-Rex? I'm glad they clarified that those are extinct at least.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
The 50 cent one cracks me up everytime I see it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I finally actually heard the audio of Kerry saying that. How embarrassing, what does he hope to accomplish with his empty posturing? Obama is really poo poo when it comes to managing the state's image.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LorneReams posted:

The 50 cent one cracks me up everytime I see it.

For me it's the Michael Jordan one.

The man played AAA baseball FFS.

Nolan Ryan's is just depressing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why are actual pitchers throwing out ceremonial first pitches?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Joementum posted:

For a second there I thought this was Vladimir Guerrero's strike zone.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

SedanChair posted:

I finally actually heard the audio of Kerry saying that. How embarrassing, what does he hope to accomplish with his empty posturing? Obama is really poo poo when it comes to managing the state's image.

Actually Kerry is pretty right in this, for Snowden to run to a country literally run by a dictator who throws his political enemies in jail for decades with out trial and is known for using massive amounts of illegal surveillance on his enemies is like moving to nazi germany because you disagree with the death penalty.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

DemeaninDemon posted:

There's also six months of enough feet in mouth to make the biggest foot kink blush.

Dick Morris would like to disagree on both premises.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alexzandvar posted:

Actually Kerry is pretty right in this, for Snowden to run to a country literally run by a dictator who throws his political enemies in jail for decades with out trial and is known for using massive amounts of illegal surveillance on his enemies is like moving to nazi germany because you disagree with the death penalty.

He's only in Russia because the US won't let him go anywhere else.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

mcmagic posted:

He was actually in the process of leaving Russia when the US stranded him there, now Kerry is complaining that he's in Russia.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

This would be awesome but then he went on a Russian talk show and gave Putin a fake interview to make Putin not look bad for invading the Crimera and funding terrorists in eastern Ukraine.

Snowden only cares about the attention and Russia is more than willing to give it to him to make the west look bad.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Alexzandvar posted:

This would be awesome but then he went on a Russian talk show and gave Putin a fake interview to make Putin not look bad for invading the Crimera and funding terrorists in eastern Ukraine.

Snowden only cares about the attention and Russia is more than willing to give it to him to make the west look bad.

You don't think that throwing Russia some good PR opportunities might be in his interest in order to maintain his asylum?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
A cat is apparently a better pitcher than Harrison Ford.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Years after they retire, generally.

Nolan Ryan, one of the best pitchers in baseball history, threw out a terrible ceremonial first pitch, but he was like 70 so everyone forgave him.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dystram posted:

You don't think that throwing Russia some good PR opportunities might be in his interest in order to maintain his asylum?

I don't really think it's good for your credibility when you make your claim to fame as "taking a stand against corrupt evil government" then help run a white washing camapign for one of the most corrupt and evil governments on the planet.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

zoux posted:

Actual pitchers who are post-retirement.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Alexzandvar posted:

You honestly think he did all that he's done for attention?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

A cat is apparently a better pitcher than Harrison Ford.

The chart slightly exaggerates the pitching skills of Tara the Hero Cat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSM7L6b1Dgg&t=20s

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

He obviously isn't doing it for moral reasons as Putin has such a massive history of corruption and abuse of power if he actually gave a poo poo about his message he would face US punishment rather than help prop up one of the most corrupt and power abusing governments on the planet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alexzandvar posted:

He obviously isn't doing it for moral reasons as Putin has such a massive history of corruption and abuse of power if he actually gave a poo poo about his message he would face US punishment rather than help prop up one of the most corrupt and power abusing governments on the planet.

I don't think you're giving the gulf between "asking a question on a talk show" and "propping up a government" the respect it deserves.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

That he did it? No, probably not. How he did it? Yeah. Greenwald has said that wanting the credit and attention was why Snowden did the releases the way he did. He offered several possible ways to get the docs to him that wouldn't have required Snowden to flee and would have allowed him to stay in place and maintain his life the way it was. Snowden rejected those options in favor of the way it went down.

It is possible to do something selfless and still be a self centered attention seeker. People are complicated like that.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

mcmagic posted:

I don't think you're giving the gulf between "asking a question on a talk show" and "propping up a government" the respect it deserves.

And you are ignoring that he pretty clearly has a deal with Russia for asylum. Vox lays out the evidence here: http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5761048/snowden-says-he-has-no-relationship-with-the-russian-government

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

mcmagic posted:

He gave Putin a full interview that basically painted Putin as a right and just crusader against the evil fascist west's attempts to conquer the Ukraine.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Alexzandvar posted:

It was a small misstep, he figured his narrative would prevail over Putin's for some reason. Doesn't change the fact that he didn't run off to Russia like you claim. Certainly doesn't change the fact that he's a hero.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

I think Randy Johnson was just trying to kill another bird.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

mcmagic posted:

Considering he had lots of ways of disclosing the leaks without giving his name, yes, absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Alexzandvar posted:

Perhaps he thinks the US is the same.

• Locked thread