Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty happy to see unbound just means you can ignore the force Org for your army.

Also loving the new psi rules. A lot more interesting than "roll ld check, cast".

Did they make walkers good though? I can't really tell.

Better, I think? All of the non-Dread/Helbrute walkers I can think of were already good or improving but I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sulecrist posted:

I'm almost positive that's exactly what it said. "Unbound armies are still limited by our NEW AND IMPROVED allies matrix," or something very similar. It definitely didn't explain the matrix at that time, but if the matrix didn't continue to have a profound impact on choices, people wouldn't have been so troubled by the changes to Imperial Guard's relationship with Chaos.

That was more to do with IG and CSM in battle-forged armies not being battle bros any more. Unbound armies have absolutely nothing limiting their composition. You can take no HQs, 3 Heldrakes, 3 Hemlocks, 3 Tau flyers, 10 Stormtalons and a Manta in your Unbound army if you want. They have to follow the rules for deployment and how close they can get to each other, but that's all.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
Monstrous Creatures (or anyone else with Smash) only get one double-strength attack now, so it's harder for them to destroy Walkers in melee. Combine that with the fact that vehicles are a bit harder to destroy and walkers got a very comfortable boost.

As far as I can tell, there's also no more restriction on who can go up/down levels in ruins. Did I miss something, or can bikes (or worse, tanks) climb ruins?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

twistedmentat posted:

I was pretty happy to see unbound just means you can ignore the force Org for your army.

Also loving the new psi rules. A lot more interesting than "roll ld check, cast".

Did they make walkers good though? I can't really tell.

The problem here is basically if you're just taking one or two psykers you'll never get a functional psychic phase against someone who builds for it. The only way to really do much during the psychic phase is to spam the poo poo out of psykers and get as many dice as humanly possible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Panzeh posted:

The problem here is basically if you're just taking one or two psykers you'll never get a functional psychic phase against someone who builds for it. The only way to really do much during the psychic phase is to spam the poo poo out of psykers and get as many dice as humanly possible.

That's exactly how it is in fantasy. You take a pair of level 2 wizards in your Empire army, and then come up against a guy with a Slaan and 3 skink shamens making GBS threads casting dice everywhere.

Though I don't think too many armies can really go nuts with psykers; tyranids and eldar seem the ones to watch out for.

Also, Flying MCs just attack normally? None of that bullshit where they have a bunch of weird attack rules? The FMC section is nothing but movement rules.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
That's not really true in Fantasy anymore anyway. 12 dice cap and now that all the old magic powerhouse books are updated (Lizards, DE, etc) there's very few ways to get many extra dice. One of our best WoC players has stopped using a L4 and goes with 2 L2's for example, and it's been really good.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm told there are still 200 limited edition rulebooks unsold, and they aren't doing well on ebay either

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

NTRabbit posted:

I'm told there are still 200 limited edition rulebooks unsold, and they aren't doing well on ebay either

Four Hundred Canadian Earth Dollars.

Yeah. No thanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

NTRabbit posted:

On the other hand, they have sold 1800 of them in six days. So it's relative.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How about: You can take a mulligan on your hand of maelstrom cards, but your Warlord cannot take any voluntary actions that turn.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Fix posted:

How about : You can take a mulligan on your hand of maelstrom cards, but your Warlord cannot take any voluntary actions that turn.

"This represents your warlord arguing against his incompetent superiors. Note, choosing this option with an Imperial Guard warlord allows your opponent to immediately score the warlord VP as your warlord will be summarily executed once the battle is complete."

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The Gate posted:

That's not really true in Fantasy anymore anyway. 12 dice cap and now that all the old magic powerhouse books are updated (Lizards, DE, etc) there's very few ways to get many extra dice. One of our best WoC players has stopped using a L4 and goes with 2 L2's for example, and it's been really good.

Yup, six-dicing a sixth spell can still turn a game but it's still way better than the seventh edition thirty dice vampire list.

Fantasy is in such better shape than 40k right now it's ridiculous.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

PeterWeller posted:

"This represents your warlord arguing against his incompetent superiors. Note, choosing this option with an Imperial Guard warlord allows your opponent to immediately score the warlord VP as your warlord will be summarily executed once the battle is complete."

While your explanation is cute, I don't need a fluffy reason poo poo happens, I need good rules that work. (I'm not trying to poo poo on you, more GW for it's busted rules that need to be explained away).

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

TKIY posted:

Fantasy is in such better shape than 40k right now it's ridiculous.

I played fantasy for a bit and used a Slann (in their old book)and even with the bullshit extra dice for casting a spell the magic phase was limited. You had to spend a lot of points and one perils or missing a spell could cost you big time.

The 40k rules seem to have less restraint. Including unlimited dice.

Like 6th, it has a lot of good ideas but still fucks up. That is more annoying for me.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
So I need some 30k list help. I'm going to have a blob of 10 Terminators, and I'm wondering what to load them out with. I'm thinking Reaper autocannons and Volkites, but I'm not sold. What do people like?

While we're on the topic, what happens if you master-craft a Volkite?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

LordAba posted:

Someone mentioned that you can only put fortifications in your deployment zone, is that true?

That was, er, probably me, but yeah- the Deployment section notes that fortifications are deployed at the same time and in the same manner as all your other units, and Stronghold Assault does not, to the best of my knowledge, override this in any way. Fortifications have to be entirely within your deployment zone, which is SUPER awkward for stuff like the Aquilla and G.I. JOE PLAYSET.

xtothez posted:

Take a Bastion or Redoubt and place it in the middle of the table. Add an escape hatch behind it, on the edge of your deployment zone.
*snip*

Just to point out, you do not place the Escape Hatch until a model embarks onto the building, so no shenanigans in that respect.

Kaza42 posted:

As far as I can tell, there's also no more restriction on who can go up/down levels in ruins. Did I miss something, or can bikes (or worse, tanks) climb ruins?

Sometimes you just gotta Escape From L.A. your way up some stairs like a badass.

Tanks will generally not be able ot climb up ruins because you are still limited to only putting models where they can actually fit. Some folks are gonna desperately try and cram their Leman Russ into the upper level of a ruin by wedging it in there, but I think we can safely say that is a "No, sorry, it's not going to stay there and you know it" situation.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

AbusePuppy posted:

Tanks will generally not be able ot climb up ruins because you are still limited to only putting models where they can actually fit. Some folks are gonna desperately try and cram their Leman Russ into the upper level of a ruin by wedging it in there, but I think we can safely say that is a "No, sorry, it's not going to stay there and you know it" situation.

If you take Creed, though, you can claim that the air conditioning roof vent is actually a Leman Russ, and the fact that the actual model won't balance there is irrelevant.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

PeterWeller posted:

For once I actually like your bullshit fluff reason for something :)

VVVV "Every Russ in my army is piloted by BATMAN

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 29, 2014

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

AbusePuppy posted:

Hide magnets in the walls of your ruins and in your tanks, drive up the sides of walls :getin:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dagon posted:

Hide magnets in the walls of your ruins and in your tanks, drive up the sides of walls :getin:

I'll pay real* dollars to see this.

*Canadian

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Indolent Bastard posted:

While your explanation is cute, I don't need a fluffy reason poo poo happens, I need good rules that work. (I'm not trying to poo poo on you, more GW for it's busted rules that need to be explained away).

I get you, but I do think there should be a fluffy reason why stuff happens. As I have said, the mechanics codify and model the fluff. But that said, fluff shouldn't be an excuse for poor rules, and fluff should be compromised when it gets in the way of good and fun rules. A good example of the latter is how poor marines are in the rules compared to how they are portrayed in the fluff because if they were up to fluff snuff, they would simply roll over everything else.

TheChirurgeon posted:

For once I actually like your bullshit fluff reason for something :)

The one time I'm not serious. :)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

A good example of the latter is how poor marines are in the rules compared to how they are portrayed in the fluff because if they were up to fluff snuff, they would simply roll over everything else.
That one's because the current fluff is lovely imperial propaganda.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Played my first proper game of 7th ed. Tactical objectives... Well. I ran a stern guard drop pod heavy battleforged list with kantor to make them objective secured at 1500 pts, he had a guard tank list with a forgeworld flyer and macharius vanquisher super heavy.

I won 12 vp to 2. Dropped onto 5/6 objectives turn one, into cover. Then just nailed his tanks with tank hunter devastators, a thunderfire, and combi meltas. By removing his transports he was then hosed and scrambling for objectives which I had objective secured on. GG.

Admittedly my stormtalon killed two russes and his flyer in a sick series of rolling over three turns but still. If you control the objectives YOU WIN.

Which is just how 40k should be. He had much more firepower, I used precision strikes and tactics to just overwhelm him.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Dagon posted:

This is literally in the fluff for Taurox Primes. Seriously. They can magnetize the tracks and drive upside down if they need to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

What were those old scifi toys with all the magnets called? They also had a ton of poo poo that would fold up and pack away inside other poo poo.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

I get you, but I do think there should be a fluffy reason why stuff happens. As I have said, the mechanics codify and model the fluff. But that said, fluff shouldn't be an excuse for poor rules, and fluff should be compromised when it gets in the way of good and fun rules. A good example of the latter is how poor marines are in the rules compared to how they are portrayed in the fluff because if they were up to fluff snuff, they would simply roll over everything else.

I actually did the math on this not too long ago and it might interest you to know that a "realistic" marine, arbitrarily defined here as one that can gun down ten Imperial Guardsmen blazing away at him from 12" away before dying at almost exactly the same time the last one drops, would be BS5, T5, W1, 2+ Save, 5+ FNP with a S5 AP5 Rapid Fire boltgun. There are other ways of getting the same result (adding Wounds, for example) but long story short a "realistic" marine probably looks more like a Centurion than a Primarch.

Ten Guard seemed appropriate but all you'd have to do to make it 20 is add a second Wound.

EDIT: Presumably he'd have WS, S, I, and Ld bumps to match, and presumably he'd also be true-scale!

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 21:27 on May 29, 2014

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
In the fluff, a score or two of Marines (and their transports) is enough to conquer an entire planet. I don't think ten Guardsmen is really a good match, because while Marines deploy by the dozen or by the hundred, Guardsmen deploy by the million or by the billion.

Having a similar discussion the other day, our Tyranid player commented that "If that were the case, Tyranids should just be able to fill their entire deployment zone with models." He's not wrong.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PeterWeller posted:

What were those old scifi toys with all the magnets called? They also had a ton of poo poo that would fold up and pack away inside other poo poo.

Your mum.

(Starcom.)

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

AbusePuppy posted:

In the fluff, a score or two of Marines (and their transports) is enough to conquer an entire planet. I don't think ten Guardsmen is really a good match, because while Marines deploy by the dozen or by the hundred, Guardsmen deploy by the million or by the billion.

Having a similar discussion the other day, our Tyranid player commented that "If that were the case, Tyranids should just be able to fill their entire deployment zone with models." He's not wrong.
The best way to address this would be a throw-away bit along the lines of "Infantry models typically represent several men (or Orks, or Gaunts) working together. Space Marines, of course, represent one Marine apiece - as is fitting for the DEFENDERS OF THE IMPERIUM."

Works well, mentally. Marine blazes away, pops an Ork - he just killed four dudes! Marine gets his poo poo kicked in - well, yeah, that one Ork that murdered him is actually four Orks stabbing him at once.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Your mum.

(Starcom.)

Holy poo poo. :vince:

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

AbusePuppy posted:

Yeah but the whole planet isn't standing there with guns. The real force-multiplier value of a Marine is in the fact that they're incredibly self-sufficient, can stay awake indefinitely, can keep marching for days, and so forth. A lot of their value cannot possibly be reflected meaningfully on the battlefield no matter how much the system changes. "It should take more bullets to bust through power armor" is a much easier fix than "My one dude can skip breakfast whereas your army needs a supply chain that ultimately requires twelve Munitorum scribes and menials for every trooper."

I'm sure that when Dorn said he'd prefer a hundred marines to ten thousand lesser troops (or whatever) he was thinking about logistics, not just battlefield tactics.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Yeah, being able to take on ten guard is pretty lowball for how crazy they are in the fluff. "Realistic" marines should be worth something like 100 guardsmen and also spit acid. :v:

The Tyranid thing is another example where fluff is compromised to make a better game. "Realistic" gaunts would cost .25 points and have the old without number rule.

E: thanks RJS.

Also, to be clear, I am in no way saying that the rules should be more "realistic."

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

AbusePuppy posted:

Really? In the books I read it took hundreds to thousands to pacify the planets on the great crusade. The Primarks were cruising around with a bunch of marines and still got punched in the dick a fair bit.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Panzeh posted:

Overwatch would be a lot more interesting if it were a bit more limited but could be affected in normal game terms(not by psyker powers). They borrow half of the defensive fire mechanic from Flames of War but then forget everything that makes the mechanic interesting.

Also the fact that assaults don't completely resolve the turn they happen makes being in combat an important shield. Thusly, stronger close combat units that can instagib a shooting unit end up being worse than a unit that sticks with it for the opponents' turn to avoid getting shot up.
Yeah, regarding Overwatch, it was sort of just "here, whoever is getting assaulted gets a buff, flat-out." There's no choice there. They couldn't have made a rule like the new Jink rule that has a tradeoff for Overwatching? Like you then strike at Initiative 1 in that same combat or something

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

There's plenty of fluff where a squad of Guard take out a Marine, though. Most of the good fluff, even the ORGY OF SLAUGHTER stuff, doesn't have a lone nameless rank-and-file marine charge across an open plain at ten platoons of dug-in infantry and live to tell about it. Even in that Iron Snakes stuff, the unblooded marine that single-handedly delivers the world from the Dark Eldar doesn't try to brawl everybody at once.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Cataphract posted:

two pages in and that thread is already a clusterfuck

This surprises no one.

Post 9-11 User posted:

I'm not wasting money on a rulebook ever again. I may buy the starter set if it has new rules, otherwise I'll just ... you know. I have binders and they just priced the book so high that printer ink is cheaper (quite the feat, if you ask me).

Blah blah, take your :filez: talk to yourself.

twistedmentat posted:

Though I don't think too many armies can really go nuts with psykers; tyranids and eldar seem the ones to watch out for.

Eldar sort of. But it's actually demons by a mile.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Naramyth posted:

Blah blah, take your :filez: talk to yourself.

It’s cool, nobody's judging you for spending $80 on a .txt changelist

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

So I need some 30k list help. I'm going to have a blob of 10 Terminators, and I'm wondering what to load them out with. I'm thinking Reaper autocannons and Volkites, but I'm not sold. What do people like?

While we're on the topic, what happens if you master-craft a Volkite?

What kind of terminators? The ones that are relentless should take reapers, since you can move and shoot. I’d probably keep them as cheap as possible and avoid Volkite’s or Plasma Blastguns. You do your business in assault, so spend those points on a way to get you into assault.

As for master-crafting a Volkite, do master crafted weapons let you re-roll a wound? If the answer is yes, and you deflagulate a target, you have the option to re-roll that wound. It’s the same shooting phase though so I don’t think you can re-roll the first wound and then re-roll the deflagulation wound. It’s one or the other.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Sulecrist posted:

I actually did the math on this not too long ago and it might interest you to know that a "realistic" marine, arbitrarily defined here as one that can gun down ten Imperial Guardsmen blazing away at him from 12" away before dying at almost exactly the same time the last one drops, would be BS5, T5, W1, 2+ Save, 5+ FNP with a S5 AP5 Rapid Fire boltgun. There are other ways of getting the same result (adding Wounds, for example) but long story short a "realistic" marine probably looks more like a Centurion than a Primarch.

Ten Guard seemed appropriate but all you'd have to do to make it 20 is add a second Wound.

EDIT: Presumably he'd have WS, S, I, and Ld bumps to match, and presumably he'd also be true-scale!

There was a Movie Marines list in White Dwarf forever ago where the entire army was like, one Tactical Squad.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

ChrisAsmadi posted:

There was a Movie Marines list in White Dwarf forever ago where the entire army was like, one Tactical Squad.

Yeah I remember that issue! I don't remember specifics, though; I gave all of mine away years ago.

I really like the idea of a Gears of War style game where one player has a handful of burly commandos and the other has hordes of dumb monsters. It's one of the reasons I like Kill Team so much--it's the scale I want, with the aesthetics and simplicity I adore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I've hardly played any of the current ed of fantasy, and even when I did I didn't face any of the magic heavy armies.

• Locked thread