Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Did she mix up the gate and seat or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Whatever it was, she seemed to think there was a screen somewhere at the gate that told her her seat. The best I can figure is it might have been her position on the standby list or something. We were departing O'Hare so the gate wasn't just a number.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

Whatever it was, she seemed to think there was a screen somewhere at the gate that told her her seat. The best I can figure is it might have been her position on the standby list or something. We were departing O'Hare so the gate wasn't just a number.

Probably the group number?

In any case, frequent travel is often an excellent opportunity to experience just how stupid most people are. :rolleyes:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The more occasional travellers I see the happier I actually am because that means air travel is cheaper and more accessible. I do like secretly guessing their background, destination, and observe them.

Besides, most instructions, boarding passes, traffic flow and other touches are badly designed. That's why there is always room for improvement.

Not everyone has the opportunity to travel on company dime or have money to be flying all the time.

What really irks me is the horrible attitude travelers can have because of their xxx status. Like those guys in FT. I'M A SUPER PLATINUM SNOWFLAKE. Yeah buddy, great job doing so on someone else's money, you bad tipper. Or airline staff who boss passengers.around because we don't know better.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Belldandy posted:

DO I TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP OUT HERE? I KNOW IVE BEEN TOLD 3 TIMES NOT TO AND THERE IS A SIGN SAYING DONT REMOVE YOUR LAPTOP BUT I WANT TO ASK AGAIN DO I TAKE OUT MY LAPTOP???? woooo I'm a baby on the big plane!!

What do you mean by "take everything out of your pockets"? Does that mean I have to take everything out or can I leave some stuff in?

I can forgive most security checkpoint issues, but what I absolutely cannot forgive is someone that walks to the back of the plane to stuff their giant roller bag in an overhead bin, while carrying a purse, a laptop bag, and a bag full of poo poo from the duty free store (that will absolutely not fit under the seat in front of them), and then turns around and walks all the way to the front to sit down. Then when you land, when everyone just wants to get their poo poo and get off the plane, this idiot has to fight the tide to get back to their bag. Maybe it doesn't happen as much on Delta, probably because I'm always on CRJs where any roller bag gets gate checked, but every god drat time I fly on Southwest I see it happen. Guess what idiots, when they announce that the flight is completely full, take whatever space you can find and sit your rear end down.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I also dislike the suits that put their one small carry on and jacket in the overhead compartment on a full flight. Yo there's a space under the seat for your bag, stop being a dick. It slows down the boarding process when we inevitably run out of space and flight attendants have to play tiny bag tetris with your poo poo.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I don't know what kind of roller bag you have that fits under the seat, mine sure as poo poo don't. I'll plane-side check the fucker if I see so much as a hint of being able though, mind you.

Jackets though, gently caress jackets. Especially flying in Canada in the winter; one of those big Canada Goose job'll take up as much overhead space as a carry on roller. Plus mittens and tuque and what have you... Just sit on the drat thing like you would in your car, damnit.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

DJCobol posted:

What do you mean by "take everything out of your pockets"? Does that mean I have to take everything out or can I leave some stuff in?

I can forgive most security checkpoint issues, but what I absolutely cannot forgive is someone that walks to the back of the plane to stuff their giant roller bag in an overhead bin, while carrying a purse, a laptop bag, and a bag full of poo poo from the duty free store (that will absolutely not fit under the seat in front of them), and then turns around and walks all the way to the front to sit down. Then when you land, when everyone just wants to get their poo poo and get off the plane, this idiot has to fight the tide to get back to their bag. Maybe it doesn't happen as much on Delta, probably because I'm always on CRJs where any roller bag gets gate checked, but every god drat time I fly on Southwest I see it happen. Guess what idiots, when they announce that the flight is completely full, take whatever space you can find and sit your rear end down.

Who does this? I've never seen someone put their poo poo in the back of the plane, then sit in the front. It's always the opposite. Unless if they get to their seat, there's no overhead space and the FAs put it behind them, then they're stuck salmoning back to it after the plane lands. But I've never seen someone willingly put their poo poo way behind them.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Who does this? I've never seen someone put their poo poo in the back of the plane, then sit in the front. It's always the opposite. Unless if they get to their seat, there's no overhead space and the FAs put it behind them, then they're stuck salmoning back to it after the plane lands. But I've never seen someone willingly put their poo poo way behind them.

I've seen it a lot when I fly Southwest. People walk all the way to the back to find overhead bin space, but by then all the seats in back have been filled, so they have to walk back to the front to find a seat. I don't think they are doing it by choice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

caberham posted:

The more occasional travellers I see the happier I actually am because that means air travel is cheaper and more accessible. I do like secretly guessing their background, destination, and observe them.

Besides, most instructions, boarding passes, traffic flow and other touches are badly designed. That's why there is always room for improvement.

Not everyone has the opportunity to travel on company dime or have money to be flying all the time.

What really irks me is the horrible attitude travelers can have because of their xxx status. Like those guys in FT. I'M A SUPER PLATINUM SNOWFLAKE. Yeah buddy, great job doing so on someone else's money, you bad tipper. Or airline staff who boss passengers.around because we don't know better.

Even before I was flying regularly, I definitely wasn't challenged by the process. It's a matter of reading and comprehending instructions. There's definitely room for improvement, but the number one issue is sit the gently caress down til you're called. At my home airport, everyone crowds the heck out of the gate and spills in to the hall and is generally as stupid as possible boarding the plane. Buddy, they called people who need special assistance and your boarding pass has a big ole 5 on it. Sit back and relax, they ain't gonna take your seat.

edit: I also wish that the bag sizer would be used correctly. I saw a guy cramming a vastly oversized bag in to an E-Jet overhead the other day. It was on JetBlue - free checked bags. He got it in, but it took two minutes for him to shoehorn the loving thing in. Just check it, buddy.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man you guys got to go through a few Chinese airports. It's freaking madness.

But yeah never underestimate human stupidity.

Oh yeah I got this ready for my European trip

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

caberham posted:

Man you guys got to go through a few Chinese airports. It's freaking madness.

But yeah never underestimate human stupidity.

Oh yeah I got this ready for my European trip

You're supposed to carry that poo poo in a giant cheap semi-mesh plastic bag. You know exactly the ones I'm talking about.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

You're supposed to carry that poo poo in a giant cheap semi-mesh plastic bag. You know exactly the ones I'm talking about.

Bonus points for when it rips, scattering your loot everywhere throughout the terminal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

caberham posted:

A couple months ago I was traveling with a group of coworkers and somehow a guy who rarely travels was assigned a room on the club floor at our hotel while our program manager was given a room on a lower floor. He got super pissed and kept very angrily repeating "But I am Platinum Elite" over and over to the person working the desk, demanded to see a manager, the whole nine yards. It was the most entertaining part of the entire trip.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bonus points for when it rips, scattering your loot everywhere throughout the terminal.

Check it :unsmigghh:

Edit: I was going through customs in Dallas when they made an announcement that they'd found a laptop in the cargo hold, and everyone please check your bag to see if your laptop had fallen out of it. Eventually they just sent the laptop out on the carousel in a little tray.

It was pretty :wtc:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FrozenVent posted:

This is client grade important material. Gotta use a 1000 dollar Rimowa for CHINESE TEA :downsrim:

I did miss bag talk, so how do you guys rate rimowa? Over price name brand poo poo or worth every penny.

My mom swears by it but I see the brand as the beats by dr dre or bose of luggage.

Great wheels though

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

caberham posted:

Yeah, we often call that DYKWIA, Do You Know Who I Am. Ocassionally you'll see some fetid bastard actually deploy that line to an agent, and it's always cringe worthy. I have top tier status at United, Starwood, and Avis, and my poo poo most definitely smells as bad or worse (depending on whether or not I've been to China recently) than everyone else's. I am not a beautiful, unique snowflake. Some people (mostly self-entitled asshats) simply fail to understand that.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

I used to work with one of these. I never had to fly with him, but I saw him pout and whine a number of times when checking into a hotel where he didn't get an upgrade, or was stuck on the 1st floor, or by the elevator, or blah blah blah. I left him at Sacramento once because I took a rental car from National's Emerald Executive aisle that he didn't like. He was bitching that Hertz would have given him a Cadillac or something, and I had picked a brand new, fully loaded Ford Edge. While he was standing there bitching I just tossed my bag in, closed the hatch, got in, locked the door and left. He showed up in his Hertz rental car at the job site about an hour later in a base model Impala.

caberham posted:

I did miss bag talk, so how do you guys rate rimowa? Over price name brand poo poo or worth every penny.

My mom swears by it but I see the brand as the beats by dr dre or bose of luggage.

Great wheels though

I just ordered a Delsey Helium Aero hard side carry on bag. I had a cheapy no-name that lasted me a couple of years of occasional travel, but I keep losing zipper pull tabs, and the other day the expansion zipper split, so before I have to get back out there in a few weeks I figured I would buy something nice. Hopefully it lasts a few years. I love being able to use the hard side cases as footrests when stuck waiting for my flight.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 29, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

Yeah, we often call that DYKWIA, Do You Know Who I Am. Ocassionally you'll see some fetid bastard actually deploy that line to an agent, and it's always cringe worthy. I have top tier status at United, Starwood, and Avis, and my poo poo most definitely smells as bad or worse (depending on whether or not I've been to China recently) than everyone else's. I am not a beautiful, unique snowflake. Some people (mostly self-entitled asshats) simply fail to understand that.

Yeah, I don't get that either. As soon as I ever check in with a Delta agent they basically move heaven and earth for me or let me know very politely and apologetically that they can't. What do people expect?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I have gotten way more poo poo out of people by doing the confused-but-nice thing than I ever did by pulling DYKWIA (Honestly, if you're in a position to pull that you won't need to.)

There's a way to get poo poo out of people, and being aggressive / annoying / irritated barely ever works.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Confused but nice works the best for me as well. "Why didn't I get priority access printed on my boarding pass?" "Oh, just walk on through I'm honestly not even looking at boarding group numbers when it's a mobile boarding pass"

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Yep, these people work in the service industry and are poo poo upon regularly. Being nice is almost always going to get a better response from them, and in most things in life. The whole, "more flies with honey instead of vinegar" thing.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Even before I was flying regularly, I definitely wasn't challenged by the process. It's a matter of reading and comprehending instructions. There's definitely room for improvement, but the number one issue is sit the gently caress down til you're called. At my home airport, everyone crowds the heck out of the gate and spills in to the hall and is generally as stupid as possible boarding the plane. Buddy, they called people who need special assistance and your boarding pass has a big ole 5 on it. Sit back and relax, they ain't gonna take your seat.

edit: I also wish that the bag sizer would be used correctly. I saw a guy cramming a vastly oversized bag in to an E-Jet overhead the other day. It was on JetBlue - free checked bags. He got it in, but it took two minutes for him to shoehorn the loving thing in. Just check it, buddy.

This post made me laugh. I'm pretty chill when I get travel. I don't travel but maybe once a quarter for work, and I always give myself plenty of time on my itinerary. Everyone always seems in such a drat hurry to hurry up and wait. Huge rush to get off the plane, well if you checked a bag you aren't going anywhere anytime soon as the bags won't be there for another 15 minutes.

It can be frustrating though, most people walk around with their head in their rear end to begin with, throw them into an unfamiliar situation like an airport and they're beyond worthless. Last time I was in line I heard someone ask the TSA person if "This was a liquid?". These are people with jobs, and they operate motor vehicles, and maybe even are responsible for raising children, and you have to ask the guy in the blue shirt if something is a liquid? I don't understand how some of these people function in life.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

In their defense, the TSA has a weird definition of "liquid".

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FrozenVent posted:

TSA has a weird.

Fixed that for you. ;)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

skipdogg posted:

This post made me laugh. I'm pretty chill when I get travel. I don't travel but maybe once a quarter for work, and I always give myself plenty of time on my itinerary. Everyone always seems in such a drat hurry to hurry up and wait. Huge rush to get off the plane, well if you checked a bag you aren't going anywhere anytime soon as the bags won't be there for another 15 minutes.

I was flying on Memorial Day weekend (I know, I know...) and I'm in my typical aisle seat and this dude next to me in the window is trying to muscle his way out. I ask him, "how often do you fly?" and laughed when he responded "rarely". Yeah buddy, your rush to wait in the aisle is meaningless. You and I aren't going anywhere so you may as well get comfortable.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The coolest thing Delta ever did for me was move peoples seat assignments around in business class before we boarded so I could sit next to the gf when we both got upgraded.

My favorite dudes are the ones who palm my shoulder 'Excuse me I have to board' during premium boarding. Its payday if my seat is next to them in BC, and they have to get up to let me in (if they don't do that leg bend thing as if there is so much legroom i can by, enjoy my rear end in your face I guess)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I definitely catch poo poo from other FF status people and sometimes employees for being a very young nonwhite DM with a baby face. I had some SkyClub desk staff (nicely) debate if I was the youngest DM. I wonder if there's a way to look it up.

An old lady gave me the stink eye for a whole flight for being up in F. I was dressed casually, but come on, lady.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I definitely catch poo poo from other FF status people and sometimes employees for being a very young nonwhite DM with a baby face. I had some SkyClub desk staff (nicely) debate if I was the youngest DM. I wonder if there's a way to look it up.

An old lady gave me the stink eye for a whole flight for being up in F. I was dressed casually, but come on, lady.

I go to Vegas every August and roll into F in cargo shorts and flip flops like I don't even give a gently caress (I don't), get drunk and program the whole flight.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I go to Vegas every August and roll into F in cargo shorts and flip flops like I don't even give a gently caress (I don't), get drunk and program the whole flight.

I've paid for first a few times when the price difference wasn't that much, and rolled up to the front of the line in "worn" jeans, a New England Patriots jersey and backwards hat. Proceeded to get drunk on the flight since I didn't have to drive when I landed. Best flight ever.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

See you at the Rio!

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I travel all the time and roll in to F drunk, and dressed casually.

What I am trying to say is I have a drinking problem.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

air- posted:

Confused but nice works the best for me as well. "Why didn't I get priority access printed on my boarding pass?" "Oh, just walk on through I'm honestly not even looking at boarding group numbers when it's a mobile boarding pass"

I fly twice a week and I have totally said "I dont fly very much but can you please explain X" on more than one occasion where I know something is wrong or am trying to take advantage of something but don't want to be an rear end in a top hat.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, this was me (only white). I think my casual work clothes is what sold it. Plenty of consultants fresh out of college flew more than I did.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sellouts posted:

Yeah, this was me (only white). I think my casual work clothes is what sold it. Plenty of consultants fresh out of college flew more than I did.

I don't recall seeing anyone younger looking than me up front who's not a child with parents or clearly traveling on mom/dad's miles, but yeah, with the rise of big integrators, I feel like it's not uncommon for 23 year olds to get pretty high status.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I generally dress like Nirvana's lost 5th member if I have no meetings on either side of the flight. As for age, I always notice a bigger difference in the lounges than in the plane.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Uncle Jam posted:

I generally dress like Nirvana's lost 5th member if I have no meetings on either side of the flight. As for age, I always notice a bigger difference in the lounges than in the plane.

Probably because lounges generally only accessed by people that either have the highest level of status or who are willing to drop hundreds of bucks for access. The cross section of society getting in to first is a lot wider than the cross section that gets into lounges.

I don't know what it is on other airlines, but for Delta you either have to have Diamond status (and even then it is just one of the possible choices of benefits for that level), have a Platinum Amex ($450 fee), or pay $450/year for a lounge membership. Or be flying internationally either in Business class or with Gold/Platinum/Diamond status.

I'll buy my way into the lounge via a day pass sometimes if I've got a 3+ hour layover, but that's pretty rare.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 30, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delta gives Club access to DMs, and it is not one of the choice benefits. It's free. You also get a discount for other status levels (I think when I was a PM it was like $300/year, which was basically worth it). 2015 SkyMiles is restricting this to an individual membership, which does not allow the member to bring guests.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta gives Club access to DMs, and it is not one of the choice benefits. It's free. You also get a discount for other status levels (I think when I was a PM it was like $300/year, which was basically worth it). 2015 SkyMiles is restricting this to an individual membership, which does not allow the member to bring guests.

My bad - the choice benefit is upgrading to an "executive" membership so you can bring in guests, not a base membership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thoguh posted:

My bad - the choice benefit is upgrading to an "executive" membership so you can bring in guests, not a base membership.

That's starting in 2015 though. As of right now, it's a full membership until they jack with the Club levels.

Delta is loving everyone, basically.