Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

I currently have a Ricoh GRD II – which I love – but you can't turn it up past 200ISO or your pictures are full of noise and it's slow, slow, slow. Slow to autofocus, (so I often just stick it at infinity) slow to take a shot, slow to write to the card and always buffering. i'm looking to upgrade but I'm not sure if I want the minor upgrade of a GR IV, if I should jump all the way to the new GR (V), or if there's something else I should be looking at?

I'm looking for a pocketable P&S with a wide-ish (28/35) prime, is full of manual controls, is quick and costs less than £1k. The holy grail would probably be a smaller, digital version of my Fuji Klasse S. Does such a thing exist?

Get the GR, it is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Just picked up a used RX100II. I am a beginner and I am going to use this for travelling, mostly video. Trying to decide if I should sell my Fuji X100 and just use the RX100II as my every day shooter.

Anyway, the camera was originally purchased in February so it is not even three months old.

The package I got came with the unit, the ECM-XYST1M mic, the filter adapter, a Vivitar ND filter, a B+W C-Pol filter, and a dinky little case. I paid 650$ Canadian which is equivalent to about 100$ USD. :v:

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Geektox posted:

A Fuji XF1 appears to be in that price range from Ted's Cameras which Google tells me is an Australian camera store.

Thanks, I gave it a spin and it seems like a great camera, but I'm a bit concerned about the twist function for turning it on. There's a reasonable amount of resistance and not a lot to get a grip on, and my mother is slightly arthritic. On the other hand, she often forgets what button to hit for zoom, so the twisty action is quite memorable for that.

Any other reasonable alternatives for an old person friendly camera?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Virtue posted:

Would y'all recommend something for my SO?

She's too lazy to fiddle with any manual settings but is tired of her phone's poor performance with macro/low light.

- Small to average size and weight
- Battery must last a whole day of snapping pics and taking short video clips (willing to buy 1 spare if needed, but not preferred)
- Point and shoot ok, no manual functions needed, going to be using auto mode and macro mode
- Good image stabilization, optical zoom, macro focus
- Fast power on and picture taking
- Will definitely be used to take videos, 720p minimum, autofocus/zoom while filming, decent dim room light quality
- Uses miniSD, doesn't require me to buy some brand-exclusive memory card
- Viewfinder would be a huge plus but not required
- Cute colors (pastels, silver, white) would be a plus but not required
- Budget: $250 or less is ideal, but open to spending up to $350.

I made this post a while back and got some good information (I'm probably gonna buy a s110 for personal use actually) but the gf is looking into the sony a5000 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399019272&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a5000) because she wants the "flippy lcd thing" to take pictures/video of herself. Is this an alright choice at the price point or is she shooting herself in the foot?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Virtue posted:

I made this post a while back and got some good information (I'm probably gonna buy a s110 for personal use actually) but the gf is looking into the sony a5000 (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Alpha-Interchangeable-Camera-16-50mm/dp/B00HNJWU3G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399019272&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+a5000) because she wants the "flippy lcd thing" to take pictures/video of herself. Is this an alright choice at the price point or is she shooting herself in the foot?

The NEX-3N is cheaper and still satisfies all her requirements, including the flip screen. However, you're not really going to get "macro focus" on that lens, since that's not what it's designed for, and there isn't a "macro" mode on either camera, but you can focus somewhat close. Just something to keep in mind. As an added bonus, those are both interchangeable lens cameras so if she decided to get into photography that's a good starting point.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

I'm struggling here. I'm looking for a camera for two things specifically:

1) Relatively cheap for a honeymoon to Italy (e.g. compact but good quality, similarly not going to cry if it gets stolen)
2) Decent for natural light photo shots for etsy (fiancee's request)

I settled on the X10 or X20 for a number of reasons, but cant seem to find any solid thoughts on the value between them. Lots of people seem to think its not worth the price jump, and some suggest the faster AF and better viewfinder overlay are worth it alone.

$250 vs $400 used on KEH.

I'm leaning X10; but I also feel like the extra $150 will be regretted later. Ugh.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

HolyDukeNukem posted:

Get the GR, it is amazing.

Seconding this--I've been lusting after one for a while. They upgraded the sensor to an APS-C while I think the GRD II had a 1/1.75" so low-light performance should be a lot better.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Walked posted:

1) Relatively cheap for a honeymoon to Italy (e.g. compact but good quality, similarly not going to cry if it gets stolen)

I settled on the X10 or X20 for a number of reasons, but cant seem to find any solid thoughts on the value between them. Lots of people seem to think its not worth the price jump, and some suggest the faster AF and better viewfinder overlay are worth it alone.

I'm leaning X10; but I also feel like the extra $150 will be regretted later. Ugh.
I
would get the x20 on the basis thatit has lower chance of breaking down during vacation.

You know you can get a new xm1 with kit lens for 500right? Or an used XA1 with kit lens for 400 on Amazon warehouse.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I
would get the x20 on the basis thatit has lower chance of breaking down during vacation.

You know you can get a new xm1 with kit lens for 500right? Or an used XA1 with kit lens for 400 on Amazon warehouse.

Those are interesting options; but I kinda want to tend more on the single lens side of things for sake of simplicity.

The X10, X20, and RX100 are the primary contenders. I guess I'm agonizing over something fairly minute in the end; and I'll probably go with X20 mainly because the ergonomics seem more in line with my wants, and I'll probably never notice the difference in sensor size that the RX100 has.

edit: however the more I look into it; the X-A1 looks really good for the price. I think that may be the answer; assuming the kit lens is decent.

Walked fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 2, 2014

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Walked posted:

Those are interesting options; but I kinda want to tend more on the single lens side of things for sake of simplicity.

The X10, X20, and RX100 are the primary contenders. I guess I'm agonizing over something fairly minute in the end; and I'll probably go with X20 mainly because the ergonomics seem more in line with my wants, and I'll probably never notice the difference in sensor size that the RX100 has.

edit: however the more I look into it; the X-A1 looks really good for the price. I think that may be the answer; assuming the kit lens is decent.

The kit lens is quite decent but it's a substantial step up in terms of size.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

grack posted:

The kit lens is quite decent but it's a substantial step up in terms of size.

Yeah but you don't want to show your honeymoon pictures to your grand kids in lovely p&s quality anyway.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

whatever7 posted:

Yeah but you don't want to show your honeymoon pictures to your grand kids in lovely p&s quality anyway.

Chances are any camera he'll use will output pictures that will be technically less than impressive for our grand kids anyway.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maxmars posted:

Chances are any camera he'll use will output pictures that will be technically less than impressive for our grand kids anyway.

Think of it this
way. If you have to go back to 70s and shoot some photos for a vacation, would you rather shoot it with a simple Pentax k1000 and a 50mm/1.8 or a fancy rear end Olympus half frame camera which probably will be more expensive and smaller.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

whatever7 posted:

Think of it this
way. If you have to go back to 70s and shoot some photos for a vacation, would you rather shoot it with a simple Pentax k1000 and a 50mm/1.8 or a fancy rear end Olympus half frame camera which probably will be more expensive and smaller.

No need to guess, in the 70s I was shooting with Polaroids and Kodak instamatic (126 cartridges).

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maxmars posted:

No need to guess, in the 70s I was shooting with Polaroids and Kodak instamatic (126 cartridges).

That's the modern equivalent of what, smartphones?

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

whatever7 posted:

That's the modern equivalent of what, smartphones?

I don't know, 126 format was 28x28 mm vs. 36x24 mm featured on 135 and the processing was the same (C41). There was definitely detail in those pictures. But then again, smartphones have been producing pretty neat images for some time.

Polaroids were a social thing already, so yes I guess you could say they were the equivalent of instagram / Facebook.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Walked posted:

If both X10 and X20 are still on the table as an option, grab an X20. The reasons you cite ARE substantial.

Curious to see how Italy looks through the lens of an X20?

Reggio Emilia di maxmars70, su Flickr

11.apr.14 di maxmars70, su Flickr

Castiglioncello di maxmars70, su Flickr

Castiglioncello, April 5th 2014 [Explored] di maxmars70, su Flickr

5.apr.14 di maxmars70, su Flickr

Vignolese country di maxmars70, su Flickr

Wallpaper di maxmars70, su Flickr

La fioritura is upon us! di maxmars70, su Flickr

Torre Ghirlandina di maxmars70, su Flickr

Scorcio su Piazza Grande di maxmars70, su Flickr

Modena by night [Explored] di maxmars70, su Flickr

Accademia Militare (detail) di maxmars70, su Flickr

Velvia at dusk di maxmars70, su Flickr

Window shades di maxmars70, su Flickr

Cars di maxmars70, su Flickr

Cherry blossoms di maxmars70, su Flickr

Velvia at dusk di maxmars70, su Flickr

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Question for the thread: what compact would be ideal for longer bike rides? I'd be looking for something that can shoot raw and has decent IQ. A zoom is not required. Ideally, the camera should fit into a jersey pocket, which means it ought to be able to survive sweat. The first camera that comes to mind is the Ricoh GR, but there must be others I should look at.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Its not like you can find other p&s with a fixed lens.

Also consider the Canon s110/s120/g16/17., its easily hacked to do time lapse photography which is a lot of fun with a bike.

Also, panasonic GM1. Also great for time lapse with a 9mm fisheye lens.

Most of the waterproof cameras has subpar IQ

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

whatever7 posted:

Its not like you can find other p&s with a fixed lens.

Also consider the Canon s110/s120/g16/17., its easily hacked to do time lapse photography which is a lot of fun with a bike.

Also, panasonic GM1. Also great for time lapse with a 9mm fisheye lens.

Most of the waterproof cameras has subpar IQ

s120 doesn't have CHDK on it yet .. or so Google seems to say.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

So after waiting forever I broke down and bought a RX100 MII a few weeks ago and now:
http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-rx100miii-priced-at-899-canadiad-us-dollars-full-specs-leaked/
If it's $899 CAD it'll probably be the same or maybe $850 in the US, I'm almost glad it's so pricey, it takes a bit of the sting off. The simple fact is that I bought it then because I have a big trip coming up at the end of June and I wanted to get to grips with the camera before I left so this wouldn't have mattered anyway.

That said, 2.8 at full zoom is like drat.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I think it looks like a great camera. I'm on the mki so it might be time for me to upgrade. I love how they did the evf too. When I read the rumor that it had one I assumed it was bullshit since I couldn't figure where you'd put it. Looks like the sony engineers are smarter than me.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

powderific posted:

Yeah, I think it looks like a great camera. I'm on the mki so it might be time for me to upgrade. I love how they did the evf too. When I read the rumor that it had one I assumed it was bullshit since I couldn't figure where you'd put it. Looks like the sony engineers are smarter than me.
I'm in the exact same boat, never considered a pop-up viewfinder. Assuming the lens is still sharp enough on the wide end at f/2, literally every criticism of the RX100 (except price) has now been addressed. I may not be an early adopter, but I definitely want one.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Bob Socko posted:

I'm in the exact same boat, never considered a pop-up viewfinder. Assuming the lens is still sharp enough on the wide end at f/2, literally every criticism of the RX100 (except price) has now been addressed. I may not be an early adopter, but I definitely want one.

Worthwhile bracketing? Timelapse photos? Just two things I wish my RX100 had

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
According to rumors both Canon and Nikon will release P&S cameras with a 1" sensor.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's $800 not $899, which changes things a bit but oh well.

whatever7 posted:

According to rumors both Canon and Nikon will release P&S cameras with a 1" sensor.
I have this feeling that those two companies are still too afraid of cannibalizing DSLR sales to really make it as good as they could be.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Can't believe I bought a RX100II two days ago and now the III is announced and oh my god is it an amazing little camera. I may have to sell this sucker in June and upgrade, even if it's at a loss.

I'm almost afraid of that built-in view finder making me use my RX1 less (I have the attachable EVF, but it can be annoying to lug around). Props to Sony for making the RX100III the best point and shoot to ever be made.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

It's $800 not $899, which changes things a bit but oh well.

I have this feeling that those two companies are still too afraid of cannibalizing DSLR sales to really make it as good as they could be.

This niche has nothing to do with the slr/mirrorless market. People who spent 800 on a RX100 don't cross shop it with a bigger camera. I just saw rumor of a x30 with "bigger than 1" sensor". I don't know if I want to trust this rumor. But neither Canon nor Fuji use Sony sensor for their flagship p&s, it shouldn't be that hard for them to upgrade the sensor.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canon will stick the 1" sensor in a G series body where the only innovations will be the availability of models in black, white and fuscia.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Pablo Bluth posted:

Canon will stick the 1" sensor in a G series body where the only innovations will be the availability of models in black, white and fuscia.

Canon would never do anything as exciting as use fuscia.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

The view finder really does it for me. I really hate when I can't shoot the camera next to my face. It may sound crazy but I feel that makes it easier for me to compose a photo. When I hold it out in front of me, I feel like I'm performing surgery with boxing gloves on.

I almost gave up on the viewfinder idea and was leaning towards a g1x II. While it seems like an awesome camera, it's size just doesn't compliment my dslr very well. If I'm going to carry something around that size, I may as well carry the dslr.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I'm looking for a used point and shoot for good stills and good video (better than a cellphone), 720p video minimum, under $100, closer to $50 would be better. This will be tripod mounted and dedicated to my workshop for distances 1 - 10 feet. Right now I'm leaning toward the Nikon 8200 which fits the bill but are less common used. There are a ton of Canon's on my local craigslist but must be 30 or 40 different models on there and it's taking a long time to sort through them. My understanding is that most all the Canons have excellent picture and video quality but most are limited to 480p video; and produce huge file sizes. I don't know anything about the Sony cameras. Anything I should look for besides the 8200?

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW
Just got an used S110 for $200. Besides all the fun manual abilities are there any extra neat tricks (the kind that aren't apparent at first) I can pull off with it?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I'm looking for a used point and shoot for good stills and good video (better than a cellphone), 720p video minimum, under $100, closer to $50 would be better. My understanding is that most all the Canons have excellent picture and video quality but most are limited to 480p video; and produce huge file sizes. I don't know anything about the Sony cameras. Anything I should look for besides the 8200?

How long are your videos and what lighting conditions in your work shop? If you are on a budget I think any 720p.camera will do, there wouldn't be any glaring result differences.

You are probably off better setting ideal lighting conditions and fix up hugely blown highlights through post.

the night dad posted:

Just got an used S110 for $200. Besides all the fun manual abilities are there any extra neat tricks (the kind that aren't apparent at first) I can pull off with it?
Think you may be able to flash custom firmware and use intervalometers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

caberham posted:

How long are your videos and what lighting conditions in your work shop? If you are on a budget I think any 720p.camera will do, there wouldn't be any glaring result differences.

You are probably off better setting ideal lighting conditions and fix up hugely blown highlights through post.

6-10 minutes. I have a lot of light, the tricky part is mixed sources ... bright sunlight streaming through the windows and door (if open) mixed with fluorescent overhead and incandescent task lighting. But yeah, you are right, I need to make the lighting consistent for best results. Blown highlights are a big problem when using my cell phone.

I have an older Canon AS590 that takes decent pics and video but is limited to 480p (also the battery is zonked and AA batteries won't work). I don't agree with no glaring result differences though, as I look at video samples there are definitely differences which I attribute mostly to lens quality which is why I am leaning toward Canon or certain Nikons (8200). I was also curious if anyone would bite on the comment about Canon video file sizes.

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 31, 2014

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

the night dad posted:

The built-in ND filter can be pretty rad and is worth remembering. If you activate it before taking video it'll look nice and cinema-blurry.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Alpenglow posted:

The built-in ND filter can be pretty rad and is worth remembering. If you activate it before taking video it'll look nice and cinema-blurry.
I was just about to chime in on this as well- the built-in ND really saved me during my S110-shot London/Paris trip earlier this month. London's signature overcast skies would have been tough to expose for properly without it and the sun & light smog of Paris really necessitated it as well. I've never tried it for videos but will have to remember to give it a try.

The built-in wifi was really handy for backing up (the jpegs of my RAW+JPEGs) onto my iPhone then again uploaded onto Dropbox for safekeeping. Even worked well over hotel wifi as it doesn't ping the web. Nice seeing as I had no data SIM or laptop handy.

On another note, still haven't been able to get my choice shots ready for the PAD or LETPD threads but given the ubiquity of photos of those two places I'm sure no one (not currently trying to decide on a S110) is in any rush to see them.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Hi, so I'm not sure if this is the right place (but I can't find another).

We're looking for a camera (Point and Shoot) to take away on holiday to get some good snaps without going horrendously expensive (£200-250). Is there a sort of go-to rock solid model in this niche?

Evfedu fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 12, 2014

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Evfedu posted:

Hi, so I'm not sure if this is the right place (but I can't find another).

We're looking for a camera (Point and Shoot) to take away on holiday to get some good snaps without going horrendously expensive (£200-250). Is there a sort of go-to rock solid model in this niche?

Look at the cameras on the thread title.

Also, http://slickdeals.net/f/6988898-can...e-free-shipping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist
So, I bought a Sony DSC RX-100 and I'm kinda disappointed it doesn't take better pictures than my buddy's camera phone and its way more of a pain in the rear to use.

Is it worth investing some time into really learning how to use this better or did I make a bad purchase?

• Locked thread