Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Genetic Toaster posted:

I just remember Hunters being loving impossible to play as a left-handed person.

Pretty certain hunters had a left handed control setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

No, no price. No release date either, but I'd expect it'd be out same day when Smash comes out for the Wii U.

It will be released at E3 with a full line of VC Gamecube games.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsIvZ0lcYDM

Sticks, a new character in Sonic Boom.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Your Friend posted:

It will be released at E3 with a full line of VC Gamecube games.

Actually, I take it back. I forgot they're doing that Invitational thing too. So maybe it'll show up there.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Is she...playable? Or just another one of the...ugh...gang?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Did no-one send Sega a copy of the Sonic Cycle flowchart?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is she...playable? Or just another one of the...ugh...gang?
The way she's positioned alongside Sonic, Tails, Amy, and Knuckles (who are all playable) suggests that she is.

Elliotw2 posted:

If you notice all the controllers in the pictures have had the new Smash logo on them, so I'm sure they're starting a new production run and advertise them specially for Smash 4.
It hooks up for USB as well, so I give it three months, six tops, before people hack it to work on PC.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Chaltab posted:

It hooks up for USB as well, so I give it three months, six tops, before people hack it to work on PC.

Considering all the Wii U controllers can be bluetoothed into a PC, I'm gonna say 2 days.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Finally a new Sonic character. This is a series with just not enough random characters.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of the Smash Invitational, the players have been announced: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.283549175152103.1073741833.224173137756374&type=1

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

JordanKai posted:

Cross-posting from the Smash Bros. thread:

Gamecube controller adapters for the Wii U are go!

If they're compatible with MK8 the world will be perfect.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Huh, they updated Pikmin 3 to add stylus control:
http://nintendoeverything.com/pikmin-3-update-adds-stylus-control-option/

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If they're compatible with MK8 the world will be perfect.

Games probably need to be specifically programmed for it, and I feel like it would have been mentioned if MK8 had been. We might see several future games support GC controllers, and it might be patched in to existing VC games, but I don't really expect most already-released retail titles to get patches.

But I could be wrong, maybe the adapter will work in tandem with the firmware to "disguise" the GC controller as a Pro or something, in which case it'd be broadly compatible with a lot of stuff.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

If they hid it as a Pro then people'd whine about fake Analog triggers. (what do they even do in Smash?)

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

This is so loving weird. Only Nintendo would develop a completely alternate control method for a nearly year old release, put out the patch, and not mention it to anyone.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

WHOA WHAT
DUDE, THAT'S AWESOME. I'm gonna' go try that out right now.

Also, so this post isn't worthless: European owners of Pushmo/Crashmo can get Pushmo World for 30% off. In NA, Pushmo/Crashmo are 33% off, which got me to finally purchase the game. Hopefully this wasn't already posted, otherwise I'm a big dumb.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

This is so loving weird. Only Nintendo would develop a completely alternate control method for a nearly year old release, put out the patch, and not mention it to anyone.

Well, the game comes free with Mario Kart 8, so it's a good insentive to get people to think the gamepad is used well.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

If they hid it as a Pro then people'd whine about fake Analog triggers. (what do they even do in Smash?)

In Melee, your shield's behaviour would vary depending on how hard you depressed the triggers, but that was taken out in Brawl and definitely won't return in 4 (since the 3DS, Gamepad, Wiimote, and Pro all have digital triggers/shoulders).

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Games probably need to be specifically programmed for it, and I feel like it would have been mentioned if MK8 had been. We might see several future games support GC controllers, and it might be patched in to existing VC games, but I don't really expect most already-released retail titles to get patches.

But I could be wrong, maybe the adapter will work in tandem with the firmware to "disguise" the GC controller as a Pro or something, in which case it'd be broadly compatible with a lot of stuff.

A few games have had controller support patched in later. NSMBU for instance gained Pro Pad support months after release. Also in the post above yours, after all this time Pikmin 3 gained stylus controls. I'm not saying to hold your breath or anything, but it's not impossible

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm still unsure if I want to get Pikmin 3 with MK8 or Wind Waker. I haven't played Wind Waker in maybe 8 years but I also recognize that the HD remake literally changes next to nothing other than quality of life improvements. My only experience playing a Pikmin is the Pikmin game that comes with NintendoLand but it is probably not super representative of the actual games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm still unsure if I want to get Pikmin 3 with MK8 or Wind Waker. I haven't played Wind Waker in maybe 8 years but I also recognize that the HD remake literally changes next to nothing other than quality of life improvements. My only experience playing a Pikmin is the Pikmin game that comes with NintendoLand but it is probably not super representative of the actual games.

They are pretty huge quality of life improvements though. The text speed, the inventory system, the triforce quest, the figurine collecting game(before you can hold three pictures, he can do one at a time every 3 days, now the camera holds like 12 pictures and he can do even more than 12 per one day, and you get color pictobox by default)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Kart is totally one of the big sellers, and another game people prefer a GCN controller for, but no where near as much as smash. I think it has a pretty good chance of getting patched in.

I mean wiimote sucks for it, wiimote + nunchuck is not bad, and was my preferred way due to ease of doing tricks in MK Wii, but no one else I knew played without classic controller or GCN controller. You are looking at wiimote + accessory for each player then you need batteries.

What Nintendo should do is release some new wiimotes with built in battery that charge over USB.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 30, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

pixaal posted:

Kart is totally one of the big sellers, and another game people prefer a GCN controller for, but no where near as much as smash. I think it has a pretty good chance of getting patched in.

I mean wiimote sucks for it, wiimote + nunchuck is not bad, and was my preferred way due to ease of doing tricks in MK Wii, but no one else I knew played without classic controller or GCN controller. You are looking at wiimote + accessory for each player then you need batteries.

What Nintendo should do is release some new wiimotes with built in battery that charge over USB.

People really shouldn't have any trouble playing MK8 with the Wii U gamepad since it's basically a more comfortable version of the MK7 3DS controls with extra shoulder buttons

Also you get the benefit of a second screen (assuming it works like MK7 where you can see which items people have which is super helpful)

E: Oh but I guess for local multiplayer you only get one gamepad. I forgot about that.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I spent around an hour playing Mario Kart 8 and it feels just fine on the Wii U gamepad (the one with the built-in TV.) The only real downside is battery life. The size is a non-issue. Coming from hundreds of hours of Mario Kart 7, the controller felt right at home. The actual handling of the karts was a different story, though.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

pixaal posted:

There's also the Wii U Pro Controller. I'm pretty sure it'll use that.

enojy posted:

I spent around an hour playing Mario Kart 8 and it feels just fine on the Wii U gamepad (the one with the built-in TV.) The only real downside is battery life. The size is a non-issue. Coming from hundreds of hours of Mario Kart 7, the controller felt right at home. The actual handling of the karts was a different story, though.

I really wish I was able to buy that extended life battery from Nintendo's online store. It was sold out every time I checked it, and apparently they stopped selling it. I guess I could import one.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 30, 2014

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
While I think it's an overall positive move to make Gamecube controllers playable for Smash, especially since it maybe opens up the possibility of Gamecube VC, it's still kind of hilarious there is another control scheme being added to the Wii U.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm a terrible person and have never played Wind Waker even though I owned a GameCube and put at least a couple thousand hours into SSBM, so I'm probably getting that.

I'm debating whether or not I want the physical copy of MK8. I can take advantage of the 10% back in eShop points from the Deluxe promotion if I get it digitally, and it'll probably run a little faster, right?

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

double sulk posted:

I'm a terrible person and have never played Wind Waker even though I owned a GameCube and put at least a couple thousand hours into SSBM, so I'm probably getting that.

I'm debating whether or not I want the physical copy of MK8. I can take advantage of the 10% back in eShop points from the Deluxe promotion if I get it digitally, and it'll probably run a little faster, right?
It already runs at 60FPS...

katkillad2 posted:

While I think it's an overall positive move to make Gamecube controllers playable for Smash, especially since it maybe opens up the possibility of Gamecube VC, it's still kind of hilarious there is another control scheme being added to the Wii U.
As long as what controller a game requires or uses is clearly marked, I don't really have a problem with it. Gamecube controllers in good condition seem to be getting rarer and rarer, and anything that makes it easier/cheaper to play Smash Bros is alright in my book. Unless the adapter goes for an exorbiant sum, it's still bound to be cheaper than getting 3 Pro Controllers or perpetually shoving batteries into three Wiimotes to power three Classic Controllers.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Chaltab posted:

It already runs at 60FPS...

I'm sure he meant loading speeds.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm sure he meant loading speeds.

Yes, that. I haven't had a Wii U for very long so I don't know if there's much of a difference.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I buy most games digitally and they do seem to load a second or two faster on average compared to my friend who buys disc. Nothing major though.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 30, 2014

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Really excited for 9:00PM digital release date of Mario Kart 8. Looks like a pretty sweet game.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Mario Kart release isn't locked based on time zone? I'm in Central Standard...what time can I buy me some karts?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I think it's midnight EST

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If anyone in the PAL regions really just has to have the Limited Edition of Mario Kart 8, Ozgameshop just got it back in stock for $97AU. Though keep in mind that Big W and Target in Australia are gonna be flogging the game itself for just $60AU, and if you do import it you can't take advantage of the free game offer because it'll be a UK Club Nintendo code.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

and if you do import it you can't take advantage of the free game offer because it'll be a UK Club Nintendo code.

You can just set up a UK CN account and claim it that way.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Do UK/AUS eshops share codes?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Elliotw2 posted:

Do UK/AUS eshops share codes?

They did, I don't think they do anymore. You can set up a second UK profile on your NNID and claim it that way.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Okay, so I went ahead and gave Stylus Mode on Pikmin 3 a shot. It's interesting. In normal, TV-On mode, it's kinda' not great at all. With the large amount of touch-screen buttons, I find myself having to look at the screen uncomfortably often. The big problem is, the game doesn't display on the touch screen - only the map does. This means that aiming is a lot more of a "gesture-based" endeavor than it is a situation where you just tap the enemy you want to throw pikmin at. Also, camera control is now limited ONLY to centering with ZL. The control scheme does appropriately take one-handedness into account, otherwise.

Off-TV play is significantly more playable, though. With your focus always on the gamepad, accessing the on-screen buttons is quick and easy, and tapping enemies is accurate and, in my opinion, superior to the aiming with the remote. My only gripe at this point is that it's awkward to switch pikmin types (with the function now relegated to the d-pad) and I really wish there was something like a swipe-to-turn-the-camera feature. The only way it's worse than TV-On is the same way it's always worse - you can't get that nice top-down view of that map that you get when you direct your captains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So how many of you are excited about being able to use your Gamecube controllers again for the third system in a row now?

I still have my OG launch day controller with the different type of pads they used for the buttons. :allears:

• Locked thread