Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Luquos posted:

I made a TTM-focused halfling team once. It worked pretty well, got a lucky halfling with +ma and +ag. Meant he could land easily and run far, it ended up being pretty reliable. Wasn't good, but certainly fun to play.

I had a +ag gobbo once...

My troll ate him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

AJ_Impy posted:

Ogres. 6 big guys who don't have loner, the cheapest and most expendable little guys.

I'd argue flings make a better TTM team by a small margin. Boneheaded prevents a TTM while take root can happen and you can TTM anyway. Ogres do haver better artillery pieces though.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

With all this talk about TTM being used to score one turn touchdowns I think we're all forgetting the secret best reason for TTM - cage breaking.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

staplegun posted:

With all this talk about TTM being used to score one turn touchdowns I think we're all forgetting the secret best reason for TTM - cage breaking.

Oh trust me, i didn't forget /foreshadowing

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

Every time there's a Blood Bowl LP on I dust off my copy and tell myself "This time it will be different, this time you will complete a campaign". It's never different, it's always the same. Even on easy I barely managed to eke out one win against skaven playing as humans during the first season or whatever, I had been feeling so good with all he ties I had forced right up until the season ended and I saw we were at the bottom of the rankings. With two injured players I just lost my will to play entirely.

I love to watch this game but my god am I bad at it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Ventnor posted:

So, out of curiosity, what is the best team for a TTM-focused strategy?
Probably Underworld, because if your opponent has most of their players left and leaves a screen of guys two spaces in from the endzone, a Two Heads goblin has to make three 2+ rolls rather than three 3+ rolls, which is a pretty big deal (it's also way less tragic when they fail a dodge/GFI and die, compared to a +Agi goblin).

Underworld also have easily the best combination in terms of base movement, Sure Hands, and agility on the guys you need to pick up the ball for the handoff, which is the other really important bit of TTMing. There is a specific penalty called Animosity where if your Skaven guys hand off/throw to a Goblin, they have to roll a 2+ to do it, but that's in exchange for the entire lead-up to the TTM itself being tons simpler than trying it with Goblins, Halflings, or Snotlings, all of which are slower, none of which get Sure Hands ever except maybe on one guy, on Doubles.

Plus UW has reliable Strength 3 players, some of which start with Block and get easy Guard access, so you can clear the LoS way simpler than most TTM teams (which a lot of people I've played against online don't do for some reason, despite the fact that 3 players marking your big guy turns a TTM from a very probable scatter launch to an almost-certain fumble). And their Troll can get Claw at 6SPP, and then you get Strong Arm at 16 in about 3 games, usually, because he will brutally kill some fools if he feels like doing stuff.

It's never a very safe play, but I'd say they're the best at it.

Honourable mention to the Orc team, too; although their Throwers are much slower, they have Black Orcs to super-reliably clear the line alongside Blitzers. Also, the entire beautifully-developed team probably won't die in one fateful match, so you won't have to scrub them and not play Blood Bowl for several months in disgust (not that anyone would ever do this when their Underworld team gets wrecked, no siree). No Mutation access on their Goblins, though.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 09:49 on May 28, 2014

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So I was doing some thinking about what, exactly, percent could you get a TTM play to.

Let's assume that you play conservatively and don't go for a 1 turn and instead cage up and screen until you can actually get the ball into the hands of your missile and get him next to the launcher. So right off the bat we can eliminate some of the 3+ rolls.

With flings you have a 3+ throw, and a 4+ landing and then maybe dodging and gfis but lets assume that isn't nessecary, since we're playing conservatively and you can cage and slow play until you're close enough and clear enough to fire. Since neither player has loner the odds are a fairly charitable 61% chance with a team reroll, if you can get doubles on your tree and commit to the cause and give it pass you can get that to 67% with reroll. This is ignoring the scatter launch from the pass but that math is wicked complicated and somewhat manageable so let's assume it's not important.

With underworld you have to deal with loner and really stupid, so instead you get a 2+ really stupid, a 2+ always hungry, a 3+ throw, and a 4+ landing, which is strictly worse. You can turn the 4+ landing into a 3+ landing with very long legs on a gobbo however which leaves the odds at 51%. If you can manage to get TWO doubles on a troll for both pro (basically free rerolls for loners kinda) and pass you can get the odds up to 61%, which only matches the fling odds without doubles.

Now underworld has the benefit of two heads on normals so you can get 2+ dodges instead of 3+, but if we make the assumption that you're tryhard-ing your TTM plays and not throwing if there is too much danger of doges, flings would be the better choice.

However for desperation plays or one turn TTM plays I'd probably go with underworld for the 2+ dodges and easier pickups/handoffs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

CheeseThief posted:

Every time there's a Blood Bowl LP on I dust off my copy and tell myself "This time it will be different, this time you will complete a campaign". It's never different, it's always the same. Even on easy I barely managed to eke out one win against skaven playing as humans during the first season or whatever, I had been feeling so good with all he ties I had forced right up until the season ended and I saw we were at the bottom of the rankings. With two injured players I just lost my will to play entirely.

I love to watch this game but my god am I bad at it.

I had a similar feeling, coming off of being completely overwhelmed the last time I tried to play, but surprisingly enough, I've been doing decently.

Managed to win the first two trophies, although it seems competition is getting fiercer - I just came off of a tie against a sneaky Skaven team that managed two long bombs that went for two touchdowns and nothing else, but that was enough to pull even with my two scores. It helps that none of my players have died yet and most of them lived long enough to pick up Block.

I'm half considering throwing my lot in with the challengers, if just because seeing me end up completely overwhelmed by an actually competent player might be hilarious to watch, but I'm not sure just yet.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agent355 posted:

Let's assume that you play conservatively and don't go for a 1 turn and instead cage up and screen until you can actually get the ball into the hands of your missile and get him next to the launcher. So right off the bat we can eliminate some of the 3+ rolls.
Yeah but in TTM Pro Fling Land, you're leaving your trees open for some arsehole with Dauntless and/or a bunch of assists to turn up and ruin your day on their turn, and the Ball Delivery Platforms themselves have less MA and AV than Goblins, so your scatter matters a lot more than it does for UW.

@TheMcD - appreciate the dartistry in your names, and honestly you should give it a shot online. The mechanics of how and why things are working or not working are actually way clearer, because things like block dice are less opaque than in the campaign.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
One of the things that is keeping me from playing with goons is coming up with amusing names for my playes.

And the fact that I actually enjoy playing dwarves

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Fat Samurai posted:

One of the things that is keeping me from playing with goons is coming up with amusing names for my playes.

(you monster. Maybe if you played a good race you'd have an easier time coming up with names)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Veloxyll posted:

(you monster. Maybe if you played a good race you'd have an easier time coming up with names)

That's it, when I get home I'm making a Dwarf Team with names like "I'm sorry" "This is No fun". I may even play some games with them then take them against Gnu when my turn comes up if no-one goes before me - although he can boycott this if he wants, I'm also perfectly happy to take my Vampires against him.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Grey Hunter posted:

That's it, when I get home I'm making a Dwarf Team with names like "I'm sorry" "This is No fun". I may even play some games with them then take them against Gnu when my turn comes up if no-one goes before me - although he can boycott this if he wants, I'm also perfectly happy to take my Vampires against him.

I'm not going to veto any team that is reasonably within my TV but I can't promise that I won't fall asleep in the middle of commenting on a dorf match.

Also the idea of clawing dorfs forever is cathartic, a well built Necro team can match up against dorfs pretty well.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
I don't hold it against anyone who wants to play as dwarves. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I just will not play vs them.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I played against Dwarves for the first time last week. They were being controlled by my completely drunk raid leader who hadn't played Cyanide Blood Bowl in ages and had seen me playing it on Steam. I diced the gently caress out of him (I'm not even going to pretend that wasn't what it was, it was the luckiest/unluckiest string of dice I've ever seen) and he had four dwarves in the CAS box by the end of the first half. It was amazing.

Then he killed one of my werewolves and that was the end of that team.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

GNU Order posted:

I'm not going to veto any team that is reasonably within my TV but I can't promise that I won't fall asleep in the middle of commenting on a dorf match.

Also the idea of clawing dorfs forever is cathartic, a well built Necro team can match up against dorfs pretty well.

While this is true, it's still boring as hell. It also relies on AV7 not being steel, which is laughable.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

One of them needs to be Lonesome Gavlan. :colbert:

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

In my ultimate funhaver (tm) team I played in my LGS a few years ago (tabletop) I had a 1TTD TTM "oh poo poo" button for my Orc team. This was a troll with block and a goblin with sprint. The troll could usually stay on his feet for a turn as the ball was handed off to the goblin who got into position, then the goblin could be thrown, hopefully land and sprint to the end zone.

By no means a good strategy but it does provide an escape route and a really surprising play. Aside from blitzers built for speed orcs don't have many options for a quick, cheap touchdown and it's the closest you can get to maximum elf/rat bullshit with an Orc team. I would say in the 20 or so games we played in the league, I scored with it on the last of my turns three-four times, for two wins and a draw.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you get a +agi stunty it becomes almost reliable.

Well, in relation to what it normally is.

Narahari
Apr 12, 2009
The best reason to play campaign is you can get your 3500 tv murder chaos and have all the fun murdering paper dwarves you could ever want. +str block piling on claw mighty blow jump up chaos warriors are slightly anti-dwarf.

Av 7 definitely stops being steel when you have at least 8 or 10 claw/mb str 4+ guys

Narahari fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 28, 2014

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Narahari posted:

The best reason to play campaign is you can get your 3500 tv murder chaos and have all the fun murdering paper dwarves you could ever want. +str block piling on claw mighty blow jump up chaos warriors are slightly anti-dwarf.

Av 7 definitely stops being steel when you have at least 8 or 10 claw/mb str 4+ guys

That's not AV 7, that's AV 6. AV 7 continues to be steel.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!
Losing to a human opponent is better than winning against an AI opponent. True story. Stop playing the "campaign" and start doing blood bowl for real.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Steelpudding posted:

Losing to a human opponent is better than winning against an AI opponent. True story. Stop playing the "campaign" and start doing blood bowl for real.

Seriously. Playing against the AI will teach you lots and lots of really bad habits.

Blackmage Yapo
Mar 27, 2008

Odin You Sad I Have
All The SPP

apostateCourier posted:

Seriously. Playing against the AI will teach you lots and lots of really bad habits.

Quoting this for troof.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

apostateCourier posted:

Goons hang out in an IRC channel who will be glad to play you, and then tell you why you lost. Most of them are in this thread already.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Just gonna agree with what was said in the thread. Only reason to play against the AI is if you've never played Blood Bowl before and want to get a hang of the UI before playing a human. Once that's done, never play against the AI ever again.

Seriously, I'd play in the pub leagues over playing against humans.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

PotatoManJack posted:

Just gonna agree with what was said in the thread. Only reason to play against the AI is if you've never played Blood Bowl before and want to get a hang of the UI before playing a human. Once that's done, never play against the AI ever again.

Seriously, I'd play in the pub leagues over playing against humans.

I always pray that one day when I play in pub leagues, I will get a guy as amazing as the Flash Flash Flash guy.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The public leagues are fine. Just go for it if you're curious.

The thing that's extra nice about them is that if you get a really lovely game like anything involving Dwarves (just had one myself!), you can just abandon the match and not care. The non-quitter is going to get a win and 60+(d6x10)k winnings, a two-TD advantage and two MVPs, so if it happens to you it's not a huge tragedy, but it saves a lot of rage, time, and lost players.

Most of the time, though, you can get an alright match, and it's always on tap.

Only way it's bad is if you're a Goblin team, you're not going to get much in inducements, which means few bribes, star players, etc., which guts how effective they are (they're usually best around 11-1200 TV forever, going up against 1500ishTV teams with 3 bribes and a Wizard/Star Player/reroll and babe/etc.).

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

jBrereton posted:

The public leagues are fine. Just go for it if you're curious.

The thing that's extra nice about them is that if you get a really lovely game like anything involving Dwarves (just had one myself!), you can just abandon the match and not care. The non-quitter is going to get a win and 60+(d6x10)k winnings, a two-TD advantage and two MVPs, so if it happens to you it's not a huge tragedy, but it saves a lot of rage, time, and lost players.

Most of the time, though, you can get an alright match, and it's always on tap.

Only way it's bad is if you're a Goblin team, you're not going to get much in inducements, which means few bribes, star players, etc., which guts how effective they are (they're usually best around 11-1200 TV forever, going up against 1500ishTV teams with 3 bribes and a Wizard/Star Player/reroll and babe/etc.).

This is partly because Bloodbowl, even with the CRP ruleset, was never intended for open play so much as league and tournament play - something along the lines of a round robin league where each other team in the league gets played in rotation once or twice, with maybe a minor tournament in the middle for a long league and a major tournament at the end. Some of the super serious FUMBBL leagues run like european soccer leagues, where there's different levels of competition and the top X winners from lower levels move up a stage and the lowest X move down.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Well, I've gone and created a necromantic team, starting from the same roster as GNU Order. I remember trying BB years ago, and getting frustrated. Maybe this time around I'll do better!

Say hello to Dead & Scaries'

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Green Intern posted:

Well, I've gone and created a necromantic team, starting from the same roster as GNU Order. I remember trying BB years ago, and getting frustrated. Maybe this time around I'll do better!

Say hello to Dead & Scaries'

Well, you've already shown a talent at the most important thing in blood bowl; coming up with silly names for your team and players. You even did the motto! Now go get them all killed like the expendable pieces they are!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
If the chance ever comes up, I'm developing a gimmick Chaos team. I registered to play at least.

I refuse to reveal the gimmick right now, but I think I have a pretty good name theme.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

If the chance ever comes up, I'm developing a gimmick Chaos team. I registered to play at least.

I refuse to reveal the gimmick right now, but I think I have a pretty good name theme.

The gimmick fits the poster's name fairly well. It is fantastic.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

apostateCourier posted:

The gimmick fits the poster's name fairly well. It is fantastic.

Even if all his mans love having naps. And has not realised the dangers of an opponent with Frenzy :allears:
must surf all the mens!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Ugh... these puns are so painful.

I approve.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
There's a direct correlation between the success of a team and the naming gimmick. Better the gimmick, the more the team wins. This is fact*

*not an actual fact

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

:siren:Match 4:siren:
Fairly Elected (GNU Order, Necromantic) vs Filthy Luckers (Agent355, Goblin)

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Knocked down Fanatics are actually KO'd, not BH'd, but a fine first half. That first action is quite something.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Really Stupid and Bonehead are big reasons why I don't like to play teams which depend on players with those negatraits. At least if Wild Animal triggers, the player still has active tacklezones.

You really should sack FrankenCastle the next time an opponent's player is killed and zombified, it's ridiculous how he keeps finding excuses to sit out drives.

Good first half for Agent's team though, nice chunk of SPP going to the troll. I remember it being mentioned that it's generally not a good idea to get too many level-ups on the regular Goblins; I'm guessing it's because of how fragile they are?

Flesh Prince represent. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

tlarn posted:

Really Stupid and Bonehead are big reasons why I don't like to play teams which depend on players with those negatraits. At least if Wild Animal triggers, the player still has active tacklezones.

You really should sack FrankenCastle the next time an opponent's player is killed and zombified, it's ridiculous how he keeps finding excuses to sit out drives.

Good first half for Agent's team though, nice chunk of SPP going to the troll. I remember it being mentioned that it's generally not a good idea to get too many level-ups on the regular Goblins; I'm guessing it's because of how fragile they are?

Flesh Prince represent. :allears:

Then they start raising your TV and you get fewer bribes to keep your Secret Weapons in. Goblins with skills are still loving goblins after all.

• Locked thread