Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Windchilla
May 30, 2009

glug posted:

With wasd movement, strafing, and holding down abilities while you aim them before releasing, it seems confusing as gently caress though.. I'm sure it'll make sense when I dive into it. Gonna prolly break a finger though.

You can change settings to activate your abilities on keypress instead of keyrelease and I find it much more responsive, especially once you learn your class's telegraphs. There is also an addon called Steer that allows you to lock mouselook FPS style and really works well in the action combat setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

glug posted:

I haven't seen details on stats, racial differences, and actual crafting stuff yet. Digging into that more. I'm sure resource uniqueness and end-component stat uniqueness like SWG is wishful thinking, but it sounds like crafting is at least weird to do instead of just a click.

There are no racial differences beyond appearance. What sort of stat details were you looking for?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I just saw the hype video, pretty good.

Is the player housing instanced?

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

:frogsiren: special sneak peek of double steps class choice here :frogsiren: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwY9y6O3hw

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

dreffen posted:

:frogsiren: special sneak peek of double steps class choice here :frogsiren: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwY9y6O3hw

Caaaan youuu dig it?

CLAMBO!
May 6, 2007
Is there a code for a discount that I can use?

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

glug posted:

With wasd movement, strafing, and holding down abilities while you aim them before releasing, it seems confusing as gently caress though.. I'm sure it'll make sense when I dive into it. Gonna prolly break a finger though.

If you've played other MMOs holding down the RMB while moving will probably feel pretty similar. If you haven't it'll be awkward at first, it was for me at least. But I eventually got used to it.

One thing you might want to look at is an addon called Steer, it basically locks your RMB to 'on' so that you don't have to constantly hold it down (so the camera works a little more like a shooter game where you just swivel the mouse to move it), and has some options as to how you toggle it on and off and other things.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Windchilla posted:

With regard to PvP? The current state of Stalker has them on the lower-end of effectiveness in Arenas. In Battlegrounds they are very effective at some roles, especially mask running/stealing on Temple and general disruption in Halls. The issue with Stalker right now is they have seen both their burst and sustained damage reduced in a number of patches leading to release. These balances were largely PvE oriented, but they have a major effect on PvP. This coupled with the recent change to T4+ Preperation, namely making it break your stealth on cast, put them into a spot where they don't really excel at any one role, but can fill most of them only adequately.

If you want to directly compare them to current Warriors they do less damage, including single-target burst (which shouldn't be the case), have less utility, less mobility and fewer CC breaks. They have a similar level of survivability to Warrior as they can still disengage from combat better than any other class, unfortunately the damage they're able to inflict between disengages isn't where it probably should be come live. The Stalker dev has stated that they are monitoring Stalker effectiveness in PvP after these recent nerfs, so I'm relatively sure they will be buffed in some way that improves their TTK in PvP without making them too powerful in PvE.

How's the PvE side of things?

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Pesterchum posted:

There are no racial differences beyond appearance. What sort of stat details were you looking for?

Well that's much of it right there. As long as a class is available to a race, the race you choose doesn't matter. I figured there'd be the old D&D style racial stat bonus' that gave an incentive for choosing particular classes with your race.

CLAMBO! posted:

Is there a code for a discount that I can use?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/games/wildstar-mmorpg/wildstar-pre-order-deal-9/

That had a 20% code for greenmangaming, and it worked for me a couple of hours ago.

TomatoActivator
Jun 11, 2003
Cheesy Bread
Tankwise, Engineer are the best and stalkers are great in other situations, warriors fall behind in all situations.

That said patches come along and screw things up.

HFGoliath
Oct 21, 2010

Eve Goon. Interests: Small scale PVP / Solo PVP / efficiency.
Battleclinic: https://bit.ly/1azneoH
Eve Kill: https://bit.ly/18Mbael
Partner (SA sponsor for GSF) Eve Kill: https://bit.ly/57sdlAE

glug posted:

Well that's much of it right there. As long as a class is available to a race, the race you choose doesn't matter. I figured there'd be the old D&D style racial stat bonus' that gave an incentive for choosing particular classes with your race.

I am so glad they didn't do that. Race incentives for certain classes always bugged me.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

glug posted:

They said somewhere that time limitations for all the animations were the reason all classes weren't available to all races. I don't know if that means they'll expand it down the road or not, though.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are other people playing right now? I've been having issues determining if Realms are online.

Windchilla
May 30, 2009

Doublestep posted:

How's the PvE side of things?

As of the last available build they were still parsing slightly ahead in single-target PvE fights. They fall behind in cleave/AoE situations, mostly because the mechanic Neutralize uses isn't conductive toward sustained damage. They lack a 2xIA break interrupt, which is unfortunate since there are raid encounters that require a lot of IA breaking, but other classes can compensate. They don't bring any real raid buffs, debuffs or utility that are unique to the class yet.

They're completely viable to both Tank and DPS Vet Dungeons and Raid content. I haven't personally tanked in a raid setting, but I have tanked Vet Dungeons on a Stalker and they were pretty smooth. My major gripe with the class outside of lack of utility is that the stealth mechanic feels clunky when tanking.

kastlyn
Jul 23, 2003

Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.

Republicanus posted:

Excellent! Lenore should be playing too. Dunno about many others. I'll try to coordinate and get on mumble with you guys so we can bounce around.

It is true. Because I have had my fill of world pvp but still want to play the pointlessly evil faction, I'm rolling Dominion pve (likely on the same RP server as the Exile pve guild). The guild name might still be up for discussion, but I'm really hoping for <Goon is a Harsh Mistress>.

As far as the crafting goes, Glug :love:, I dabbled in architecture some and my general impression was swg meets eq2 -unique item stats +experimentation meets mini-game. There is some level of money-sink built into the crafting itself. Each individual recipe has multiple outcomes depending on what vendor materials from the list you add. You don't have to purchase the vendor mats to clog up your inventory as you go, it is built into the crafting interface which calculates the cost of using selected additives and subtracts from your currency when you create the item.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

lets burn posted:

Are other people playing right now? I've been having issues determining if Realms are online.

At least NA is down.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

lets burn posted:

One server was up earlier as part of the 'ops week' stuff, but the launcher doesn't always show when they are up. I know I've seen it claim 'realms down' but I would click the play button and presto servers up.

Not sure if we should expect them to come up tomorrow though, Carbine is probably doing final crunch prep for the character wipe and launch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thought today was the 30th. :negative:

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well apart from enjoying it from time to time, people who take RP in an MMO super seriously can be fun to observe. I played on WoW's Argent Dawn server, which is the EU equivalent of Moon Guard, and you couldn't move without tripping over another Game of Thrones inspired NOBLE HOUSE SUPER SERIOUS guild that doesn't mesh with the setting at all. I'm kind of curious to see what the Wildstar equivalent will be.

Dominion is of course rife with noble highborn Cassians of various houses, even though the Devs said there are no houses a la Game of Thrones. :v: Mordesh fill that role Exile side, with the addition of ANGST.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Dr Snofeld posted:

Well apart from enjoying it from time to time, people who take RP in an MMO super seriously can be fun to observe. I played on WoW's Argent Dawn server, which is the EU equivalent of Moon Guard, and you couldn't move without tripping over another Game of Thrones inspired NOBLE HOUSE SUPER SERIOUS guild that doesn't mesh with the setting at all. I'm kind of curious to see what the Wildstar equivalent will be.

To be fair, there were noble house guilds long before Game of Thrones came onto the scene. Its one of the easiest guild concepts to think up of and work with. Everyone wants to be involved in the inner workings of a kingdom to some degree - it gives a sense of importance and value to your characters. And its easy to think up of plots that work off that.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I thought today was the 30th. :negative:

One more day :smithicide:

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
The hype for this game in the past few days has been insane.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Nexal posted:

The hype for this game in the past few days has been insane.

Speaking of, check out what I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhSOmAbefRI

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Doublehex posted:

To be fair, there were noble house guilds long before Game of Thrones came onto the scene. Its one of the easiest guild concepts to think up of and work with. Everyone wants to be involved in the inner workings of a kingdom to some degree - it gives a sense of importance and value to your characters. And its easy to think up of plots that work off that.

The main point is though that people feel the desperate need to be roleplaying things from other games/books/series, or stuff that just doesn't fit into the setting at all.

UO had a lot of people like this. For every Catskills Orc group there were three thousand drow. Or even groups that did pretty good roleplay - like the GRD on Europa - that still didn't fit in the setting. They forced you to wear ringmail and use a halberd in a sort of medieval themed way and wouldn't let anyone cast spells. It worked, but again it wasn't at all fitting with Ultima itself.

That's what I hated about MMOG roleplaying. If you're doing it in a D&D game the person needs the consent of everyone else there to do something whacky and even then it tends to be in-universe whacky. In an MMOG you're free to be whatever the gently caress stupid thing you want. We had the "European Role Playing Association" on Europa and I'm pretty sure a good half of the people in it were pretending to be Drow.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
I hope it persists. Being an Australian (:australia:) I am currently awash in a sea of idiots all chiming "No aus servers, not playing." and being frowned upon for looking forward to it.

Avoiding MMOs for so long meant I forgot what this feels like.

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing

lets burn posted:

I think time's nearly up. Cougars twitter posts tonight sounded like the character wipe is coming soon, they're just trying to squeeze in fixes.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
I thought few days ago the SA wildstar threads were a massive dramafest till I checked few youtube videos and saw those ignorant comments about some famous dude playing the game how the game is "wow clone"
Then after getting brain tumor after that I was bored and had a lightbulb sticking out of my head "Let's check the official Wildstar forums"
Then I read a thread about optimization and well the brain tumor I have now is probably gonna kill me before the headstart.
Fanboys are the worst piece of poo poo any community ever has seen cause they bring that drama and ignorance to such a new level you haven't ever experienced before.
So after venting this poo poo on this thread you guys are awesome for not being like the rest of the hell I just recently experience.

Nexal fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 30, 2014

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

Nexal posted:

I thought few days ago the SA wildstar threads were a massive dramafest till I checked few youtube videos and saw those ignorant comments about some famous dude playing the game how the game is "wow clone"
Then after getting brain tumor after that I was bored and had a lightbulb sticking out of my head "Let's check the official Wildstar forums"
Then I read a thread about optimization and well the brain tumor I have now is probably gonna kill me before the headstart.
Fanboys are the worst piece of poo poo any community ever has seen cause they bring that drama and ignorance to such a new level you haven't ever experienced before.

Go read the Star Citizen forums if you ever need to be numbed to other game forums. Wildstar is pretty tame, even if it does occasionally have a 'LET US OPT OUT OF THE 2% BONUS XP, YOU'RE STEALING THE GAME FROM ME BY LETTING ME COMPLETE IT FASTER' thread pop up.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'

Taear posted:

The main point is though that people feel the desperate need to be roleplaying things from other games/books/series, or stuff that just doesn't fit into the setting at all.

UO had a lot of people like this. For every Catskills Orc group there were three thousand drow. Or even groups that did pretty good roleplay - like the GRD on Europa - that still didn't fit in the setting. They forced you to wear ringmail and use a halberd in a sort of medieval themed way and wouldn't let anyone cast spells. It worked, but again it wasn't at all fitting with Ultima itself.

That's what I hated about MMOG roleplaying. If you're doing it in a D&D game the person needs the consent of everyone else there to do something whacky and even then it tends to be in-universe whacky. In an MMOG you're free to be whatever the gently caress stupid thing you want. We had the "European Role Playing Association" on Europa and I'm pretty sure a good half of the people in it were pretending to be Drow.

That's he great thing about MMOs, though. You don't have to do anythign with them. You can just walk away, or ignore them, because they are being loving retarded.

Jfizzoid
Feb 8, 2005
sproing

Nexal posted:

So after venting this poo poo on this thread you guys are awesome for not being like the rest of the hell I just recently experience.

The trick is to not stand in the fire and be burned, but to stand next to it and stoke the flames.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Doublehex posted:

That's he great thing about MMOs, though. You don't have to do anythign with them. You can just walk away, or ignore them, because they are being loving retarded.

Not when they're the majority. I guess ERPA forced us to have them along for some things but as I said, GRD were really good and properly stuck to all their rules. The only problem was their rules had nothing to do with Ultima.

Every time I ever saw anyone RPing in any other MMOG it was the same as it was back in UO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Taear posted:

I was in shadowclan :sun:

(I think that was the name of the Catskill orc tribe it's been a long time ago)

TLM
Mar 3, 2009
Hi I was banned in the IRC for saying Dead Island Epidemic is a bad game by some guy with an itchy trigger finger.

It'd be cool if I could be unbanned I guess.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Taear posted:

I first met goons in a WoW guild that was inspired by WH40k stuff, with the guild leader being a huge Warham/anime nerd (though to be fair all the officers were anime nerds) who based his guild's rank structure off of one of the Horus Heresy novels. It was, at the very least, a change of pace from the Scarlet _______/House _______ guilds.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

First Bass posted:

I first met goons in a WoW guild that was inspired by WH40k stuff, with the guild leader being a huge Warham/anime nerd (though to be fair all the officers were anime nerds) who based his guild's rank structure off of one of the Horus Heresy novels. It was, at the very least, a change of pace from the Scarlet _______/House _______ guilds.

It's fine when it's just a bit of fun, you've just named your guild that because you like it. It's when you're roleplaying being a space marine in a fantasy world that it goes off the rails and becomes just another sort of mary sue. I guess for me if you want to roleplay being a space marine maybe you should play a game where you're a space marine.
It was Shadowclan, yea! At least they had a good shot at doing something that's actually in Ultima instead of just dragging in stuff from D&D.

And sorry TLM - I banned you because there were some random people trolling Doublestep in there, I assumed you were part of it. You're unbanned now.

Tupper
Sep 1, 2007

Fun will now commence.

WarLocke posted:

Speaking of, check out what I just found:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhSOmAbefRI

I'm never quite sure if YOGScast stuff like this is cringey and weird or entertaining and goofy.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

a cock shaped fruit posted:

I hope it persists. Being an Australian (:australia:) I am currently awash in a sea of idiots all chiming "No aus servers, not playing." and being frowned upon for looking forward to it.

I think we're the idiots for playing with how poo poo the game feels with lag, really. The people giving it a pass have some sense.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Tupper posted:

I'm never quite sure if YOGScast stuff like this is cringey and weird or entertaining and goofy.

I'm sure the intent is the latter and the result is the former.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

THE PWNER posted:

I think we're the idiots for playing with how poo poo the game feels with lag, really. The people giving it a pass have some sense.

That's the thing though, I played a bunch, did PvP, did dungeons, world bosses - and it never felt 'poo poo' with lag. It was there, but it felt no different to playing 4 years of WoW with the ping. You just anticipate things a little better and avoid being a shitbird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

First Bass posted:

I'm sure the intent is the latter and the result is the former.

I feel like it's kind of a bit of both. Here have another:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml-EyuE4NNY

I really want to do shiphands now. "Full power to Netflix!" Also eploding the prisoners by trying codes too much was pretty :lol:

• Locked thread