Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The second amendment covers use of force? Fuckin' news to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The Gish Gallop method, in lawsuit form. That's adorable.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

quote:

The civil rights complaint also said that officers “are now being brought in to headquarters like criminal suspects and subjected to intimidating, non-consensual recorded interviews for conduct that was widely accepted as effective and lawful policing just a few months ago.”

This is loving fantastic news if it is actually true. Now if only those interviews would start resulting in "intimidating, non-consensual punishment".

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

A Bag of Milk posted:

Seattle police officers sue to not have their use of force restricted, claiming use-of-force policies restrict their Constitutional right to be violent. Yup.

Police are upset which can only mean that good, meaningful things are actually happening.

Basically Seattle PD was so bad that it attracted DOJ attention similar to Oakland PD.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
If police cant beat and murder people pretty soon no one will be able to beat and murder people!

:qq:

(The fact that they used "evidence" that they write less jay-walking tickets now as "proof" that they are "afraid" to do their "jobs" ... lol.)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FRINGE posted:

If police cant beat and murder people pretty soon no one will be able to beat and murder people!

(The fact that they used "evidence" that they write less jay-walking tickets now as "proof" that they are "afraid" to do their "jobs" ... lol.)

You can read the whole lawsuit here:
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/documents/2014/05/28/Anti-Consent_Decree_Lawsuit.pdf

It also makes the argument that the DOJ change to use of force rules put helpless citizens at risk

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

FRINGE posted:

Handing out jay-walking tickets in Seattle is a point of civic pride!

Gerund fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 30, 2014

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Welp, Balmer bought the LA Clippers for a cool 2 billion. I guess we're getting a basketball team again?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

etalian posted:

It also makes the argument that the DOJ change to use of force rules put helpless citizens at risk
Whenever the cops start talking about "officer safety" you know theres a stream of lies on the way in order to create a roadway for murder.

"We need safety in our extremely safe job and we can only get it by killing you!"

I want to see ranchers, farmers, and fisherman petition for the right to kill people since they have actually dangerous jobs.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mod sassinator posted:

Welp, Balmer bought the LA Clippers for a cool 2 billion. I guess we're getting a basketball team again?

Doubtful. He likely has to agree to not move the team in order for the sale to be approved.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

tk posted:

Doubtful. He likely has to agree to not move the team in order for the sale to be approved.

Can't they just be the Seattle Los Angeles Clippers?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
How much will the city have to pay to build them a new stadium?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

oxbrain posted:

less than the Boeing subsidy

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

oxbrain posted:

Pretty sure he's not moving. A good part of the Clipper's value is in being in Los Angeles. Move them somewhere else, and you're looking at a huge dropoff.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I don't know about you guys but the only thing I got out of the Grand Coulee laser show was a yellowjacket sting and the side of my face swelling up 4x.

so bring on the future!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

Can't they just be the Seattle Los Angeles Clippers?
Seattle Los Angeles Strippers. Sports? Who cares watch them run!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seattle isn't getting the Clippers, LA is a bigger basketball market and the Clippers are a feel good story right now (the team itself, not their ownership situation). If anything Ballmer would use this opportunity to smooze with the other owners and try to convince them that Seattle deserves a team, but that's also a pipe dream.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

OKC isn't getting the Sonics, Seattle is a bigger basketball market.... If anything Bennett would use this opportunity to smooze with the other owners and try to convince them that OKC deserves a team, but that's also a pipe dream.

PS gently caress the NBA.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Ballmer and NBA teams can please remain outside of Cascadia from now on. Both concepts are most welcome to me.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

SedanChair posted:

Ballmer and NBA teams can please remain outside of Cascadia from now on. Both concepts are most welcome to me.

But he's even got the word "ball" in his name! How can you allow such mascot potential to be wasted?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I was thinking it would be wrong to steal a team from a city like OKC stole from us, but LA has two teams, it can afford to lose one.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ernie Muppari posted:

But he's even got the word "ball" in his name! How can you allow such mascot potential to be wasted?

A giant bald man with an anger management problem tossing (foam) chairs in the general direction of people that look at him funny would make for a hilarious mascot. Too bad he'd be mistaken for a coach.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spatula City posted:

I really would like to pay some taxes for worse traffic and a bald shouting man's profits.

I wouldn't though.

e: beaten with regard to the salient characteristics of Steve Ballmer

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

SedanChair posted:

Remove all (spectator) sports.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

FRINGE posted:

Remove all (spectator) sports.

So the Storm can stay? :v:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

oxbrain posted:

So the Storm can stay? :v:
Whats that? :rimshot:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gerund posted:

Handing out jay-walking tickets in Seattle is a point of civic pride!

And beating the 'mexican piss' out of jaywalkers too.

I've been to a few Storm games, it's the same as going to a Sonics game was. If you like one I don't understand why you wouldn't like the other. I haven't been to a Reign game yet though.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
As someone from Seattle, the best sport is *insert team that did the best last year* and the other ones suck.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Mrit posted:

As someone from Seattle, the best sport is *insert team that did the best last year* and the other ones suck.

You have to admit, it was pretty loving hilarious how the rest of the nation was rooting for Denver.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Solkanar512 posted:

You have to admit, it was pretty loving hilarious how the rest of the nation was rooting for Denver.

There's something about northwest sports teams that don't get any respect from the rest of the nation. Don't ask me why though. :iiam:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Solkanar512 posted:

Best was the "how would you grade this superbowl?" poll afterwards. Oregon and Washington: A+! Rest of the nation: F-!

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

There's something about northwest sports teams that don't get any respect from the rest of the nation. Don't ask me why though. :iiam:
Nirvana and flannel shirts are the reason for everything. Also rain... and owls.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
It was a pretty lovely superbowl.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
It was hilarious! Then awesome. Then hilarious again. And about 5 minutes into the 3rd quarter, depressing. I started feeling bad for Denver.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I think that might be my favorite graph ever.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
So reading that Colorado is making $19 million+ a month from marijuana sales, what's the hold up with Washington? I'm not busting down the door of the shops waiting to get in, but am curious weren't we supposed to have stores open by the summer?

the_seventh_cohort
May 4, 2013
The Seattle City Council has passed a $15 minimum wage, the highest in the nation
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2023753163_wagevotexml.html

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

mod sassinator posted:

So reading that Colorado is making $19 million+ a month from marijuana sales, what's the hold up with Washington? I'm not busting down the door of the shops waiting to get in, but am curious weren't we supposed to have stores open by the summer?

Seed-to-Supply vs. allowing current medical shoppes to act as immediate distributors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Irradiation posted:

I think that might be my favorite graph ever.
Buddy of mine used to work at a camwhore portal (tech side, not performing). He said there are similar graphs during the 2008 and 2012 Republican nominating convention, where traffic and revenue dropped 5-10% during keynote speeches.

• Locked thread