Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

King Burgundy posted:

I miss the blue icons.

They looked awful on anything that tried using a transparent status bar, which is why Google said in the CDD you can't do it anymore. Good riddance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Post XLTE, my data speeds have never been slower.

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011

FordPRefectLL posted:

Post XLTE, my data speeds have never been slower.

Same. I had internet issues last month so I have done speed test results from them. Was 28/7. After reading about XLTE I've been topping out at 9/2or3.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004

kitten smoothie posted:

but knowing Verizon they'll probably make it count against both.

I'm just hoping this won't turn into the $10 data plan fiasco, mandating certain features for certain phones.

IE: 'VoLTE' will be a new provision mandated for VoLTE phones. This provision will not be compatible with an existing 'Unlimited 4G LTE' provision. All phones manufactured after a certain date have VoLTE capability mandating 'VoLTE' provision... thus forcing people off the unlimited data plan.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

kitten smoothie posted:

Also voice over LTE doesn't sound as cool as it originally did.

I wonder how long it will be a limitation that you can only use VoLTE to call another device that supports VoLTE. I guess it would require some transcoding process at the switch if a VoLTE customer were to call a landline, for example.

If it truly does support HD voice for every call, then people are going to sound immaculate. So that's good, I guess.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Hed posted:

If it truly does support HD voice for every call, then people are going to sound immaculate. So that's good, I guess.

You mean that's actually a thing? It isn't a meaningless buzzword? Something Akin to those HD sunglasses?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

mrchina posted:

I'm just hoping this won't turn into the $10 data plan fiasco, mandating certain features for certain phones.

IE: 'VoLTE' will be a new provision mandated for VoLTE phones. This provision will not be compatible with an existing 'Unlimited 4G LTE' provision. All phones manufactured after a certain date have VoLTE capability mandating 'VoLTE' provision... thus forcing people off the unlimited data plan.

Well, now that you've said it...

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deep Winter posted:

You mean that's actually a thing? It isn't a meaningless buzzword? Something Akin to those HD sunglasses?

If it's G.722 then yeah that's a thing that will make your audio call sound fantastic. Will the marketing department get everyone to just slap HD on everything like they did with 4G, ignoring the real ITU 4G standard? Probably.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
Just a quick question. I plan on rolling into Verizon tomorrow to buy a device using the device payment plan to keep my unlimited data but nobody online really seems to know the qualification requirements (or my Google fu is failing me) does anyone know what they are or any roadblocks I might run in to? I'm currently out of contract and I know the phone has to be priced $399+ but besides that what are they looking for?

I'm expecting a few very puzzled looks when I mention it to the reps.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

kensei posted:

My MAXX prompted me for an update this morning, not sure what all is in it but installing now :)

e: 19.6.3.en.US is the version, and now I have cool white icons...

My Mini got the update and they still didn't fix the drat Jelly Bean bug where hitting the home button will double press randomly.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wa27 posted:

My Mini got the update and they still didn't fix the drat Jelly Bean bug where hitting the home button will double press randomly.

The only things this update did was change the icons white and fix a Canadian roaming issue.

Verizon apparently changed up some requirements on Moto in the 11th hour that scuttled the full 4.4.2 update. It's still coming, they just can't comment on timeline yet.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Henchman 21 posted:

Just a quick question. I plan on rolling into Verizon tomorrow to buy a device using the device payment plan to keep my unlimited data but nobody online really seems to know the qualification requirements (or my Google fu is failing me) does anyone know what they are or any roadblocks I might run in to? I'm currently out of contract and I know the phone has to be priced $399+ but besides that what are they looking for?

Are you talking about the Edge program? I am pretty sure that kills your unlimited data.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Are you talking about the Edge program? I am pretty sure that kills your unlimited data.

No, there's a different installment plan that lets you keep unlimited by paying full price, but you spread the payments over 12 months (as opposed to 24 with Edge) and pay a $2/month fee.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/FeaturesandOptionalServices/device-installment-plan.html

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

kitten smoothie posted:

No, there's a different installment plan that lets you keep unlimited by paying full price, but you spread the payments over 12 months (as opposed to 24 with Edge) and pay a $2/month fee.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/faqs/FeaturesandOptionalServices/device-installment-plan.html

Yup this. I decided not to bother with it right now. I want to wait and see if the Z2 is coming our way.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

bull3964 posted:

The only things this update did was change the icons white and fix a Canadian roaming issue.

It also appears to have broken my phone's ability to ring. And if I go into settings->Sound and try to click on volumes to double check everything, the phone completely locks up.

*Edit* multiple reboots/battery pulls later, it finally seems to be working again. Ugh.

King Burgundy fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 23, 2014

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The kitkat OTA bricked my hd maxx this morning. Seemed to complete fine, but only dead android when I try to boot, even after a wipe. Went to a local Verizon, and they basically told me I was boned. Ended up going for a new galaxy S5, since I am in the middle of a job hunt right now and can't really afford to go without a phone. Didn't have time to do any research, as I normally would have for a new phone. I figure the S5 has to be a safe choice though. At the very least, I can say the screen blows away the one on my motorola.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Put in a call/chat to Moto. If it was the update that bricked it, then they're essentially responsible. Even if it's not warranty from a classic standpoint, they may help you out.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

You are not even the first person here to say the update hosed your phone. I would definitely put in a call to Motorola.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Henchman 21 posted:

Your account is subjected to an in-house credit check to see if you are a deadbeat or not. They basically push a button that says Pre Qualify and it spits out yes or no. You can also call CS ahead of time and they can check.

Full requirements:

Existing check the customer's tenure with VZW:

If the tenure is ... less than 6 months Then the customer ... must have activated service with top tier credit approval to pass the eligibility edits.

If the tenure is ... more than 6 months Then the customer ... does not need a top tier credit approval.

Other requirements:
  • This is applicable to Consumer and ELEU customers (PE Customer Type).
  • This is based on CACS history.
  • Accounts must be in good standing and cannot:
    • Have a security deposit associated with their account.
    • Have any non-pay suspends within the prior 6 months.
    • Have an account history of being past due.
    • Be Cash Only within the prior 6 months.
    • Have any returned payments on their account(s).
    • Have any written off accounts within the past 7 years associated with their SSN.
    • Have a Receivables Controls (RC) profile.
    • Be past due (greater than $24 within 30 days) on account, or associated accounts using SSN search.
  • No related written off accounts within the last 7 years over $50 via SSN search across all instances (excluding bad SSN).
    Account cannot be past due on the account the Device Payment Plan is being added to or any related accounts by SSN past due 30 days for $24 or more.
  • Customer does not need to be upgrade eligible to participate in the Device Payment Plan.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Looks like my phone hopped onto the XLTE wagon, I am getting 15mbps down where for the last 6 or months so I was only getting 3mbps.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FordPRefectLL posted:

Looks like my phone hopped onto the XLTE wagon, I am getting 15mbps down where for the last 6 or months so I was only getting 3mbps.

I got this earlier. Guessing it's the XLTE

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
If I renew my existing contract (~6 months left) can I get that free LG G2 deal? I'm stuck with an Incredible 2 right now after my Galaxy Nexus got dunked, and I'm paying $80/month for 3G, basically. Need a new 4G-capable phone, don't want to pay full price.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I finally called and got my credit from the Cancels guy, thanks for the advice!

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Captain Trips posted:

If I renew my existing contract (~6 months left) can I get that free LG G2 deal? I'm stuck with an Incredible 2 right now after my Galaxy Nexus got dunked, and I'm paying $80/month for 3G, basically. Need a new 4G-capable phone, don't want to pay full price.

I'm sure you can. Go white. Way sexier

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

The kitkat OTA bricked my hd maxx this morning. Seemed to complete fine, but only dead android when I try to boot, even after a wipe. Went to a local Verizon, and they basically told me I was boned. Ended up going for a new galaxy S5, since I am in the middle of a job hunt right now and can't really afford to go without a phone. Didn't have time to do any research, as I normally would have for a new phone. I figure the S5 has to be a safe choice though. At the very least, I can say the screen blows away the one on my motorola.

Happened to my phone. I thought unrooting would make everything okay, but nope. Looked on XDA and there's a helpful thread in the Razr HD forums right now on taking the phone back to factory and then installing the update from that point. I had to wipe my phone, but at least now I have the update running on it.

You're not completely hosed, it just takes a little effort.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The HD/M update was kinda hosed from the beginning, and there were a lot of problems reported about it on their soak forums. Motorola/Verizon pushed it through anyway.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Fluue posted:

Happened to my phone. I thought unrooting would make everything okay, but nope. Looked on XDA and there's a helpful thread in the Razr HD forums right now on taking the phone back to factory and then installing the update from that point. I had to wipe my phone, but at least now I have the update running on it.

You're not completely hosed, it just takes a little effort.
Have a link to the thread?

I already have the phone stuck in a drawer. I suppose I probably should fix it though. I like the phone quite a bit, especially the fact that the battery lasted nearly forever. It was starting to get a little choppy bringing up apps and switching between menus though. I have to say that the s5 is considerably more responsive there. Plus the s5 screen is pretty much a straight upgrade. Though the battery life and speaker on the s5 are downgrades.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Filthy Monkey posted:

Have a link to the thread?

I already have the phone stuck in a drawer. I suppose I probably should fix it though. I like the phone quite a bit, especially the fact that the battery lasted nearly forever. It was starting to get a little choppy bringing up apps and switching between menus though. I have to say that the s5 is considerably more responsive there. Plus the s5 screen is pretty much a straight upgrade. Though the battery life and speaker on the s5 are downgrades.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52729714&postcount=2

The XML file link is wrong; use this instead: http://www.mediafire.com/view/2jt3ezshn5w9su4/VRZ_XT926_9.8.1Q-94-1_CFC.xml

And here is some more instructions: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=52730104&postcount=5

Once you've flashed back to 4.1, you can then put the new OTA on an SD card and then boot into recovery and apply the update that way :) PM me if you need any clarification.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

With all the XLTE jib-jab, I thought I would explain what exactly it is and isn't for anyone confused. Basically, it's Verizon's cool-guy marketing buzzword for them adding on extra bandwidth to their towers, which allows compatible smartphones (most things released in the last year) to get on an expanded spectrum. It doesn't raise the maximum speed of 4G, but since there's a lot more room, it means you'll get that maximum speed more consistently, so it's a practical upgrade for data speeds. People without XLTE (also called AWS) phones should also see benefit, as their part of the spectrum is also less crowded as a result, though if you're in a big city it still might be a problem and kick you to 3G from time to time. In short, more people can be on the same tower using 4G without bumping into each other, which is neat.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
I just wish the back haul to existing towers in my town was upgraded when they rolled out LTE equipment. In many places 4-5 bars of 4G is no faster than overloaded 3G. And the latency is bad enough to be noticeable.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Downtown Phoenix. 0.21 down with 4 bars of 4G.

:getin:

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Just got a call from "Technical Support" (800) 922-0204), which was somehow already programmed in my phone. The robot prompted me to go to verizon 33 dot com and claim me 33 dollars credit for this month's bill. Knowing Verizon doesn't give away money, I googled and and page 2 revealed it as a phishing site. Has this happened to anyone else? No I didn't go to the site.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FordPRefectLL posted:

Downtown Phoenix. 0.21 down with 4 bars of 4G.

:getin:
Is that better or worse than how it was on Sprint? lol

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Worse than Sprint 3G.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Just got a call from "Technical Support" (800) 922-0204), which was somehow already programmed in my phone. The robot prompted me to go to verizon 33 dot com and claim me 33 dollars credit for this month's bill. Knowing Verizon doesn't give away money, I googled and and page 2 revealed it as a phishing site. Has this happened to anyone else? No I didn't go to the site.

It's a know scam. My mom got a similar call a few weeks ago and was smart enough to call me before going to the website. She's just about the perfect candidate for these kinds of things, but, thankfully, didn't fall for it.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Stopped into the VZW store the other day, and it turns out I can use some kind of early upgrade thing to get a G2. My upgrade wasn't planned until September, my contract is up in November, but they're going to let me renew and upgrade as soon as they have some G2s in stock.

$150 up front, free after rebates. :woop: Can't decide if I want it in black or white, though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Captain Trips posted:

Stopped into the VZW store the other day, and it turns out I can use some kind of early upgrade thing to get a G2. My upgrade wasn't planned until September, my contract is up in November, but they're going to let me renew and upgrade as soon as they have some G2s in stock.

$150 up front, free after rebates. :woop: Can't decide if I want it in black or white, though.

I have white envy. Its so much nicer looking.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

TenaciousTomato posted:

If it is ever so slightly sketchy it is probably a phishing site. The safe domains are verizonwireless.com, vzw.com and verizon.com. If an email links you to something like 'verizondeals.com' or 'vzwfreeblowjobs.com' or some poo poo you can lend a helping hand by forwarding the mail to phishing@verizonwireless.com so corporate security can start shutting them down or just ignore it.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

I got this earlier. Guessing it's the XLTE

Probably. If you all want I can post the current market rollout for XLTE and hope I don't get fired for it.:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this sweet move posted:

Probably. If you all want I can post the current market rollout for XLTE and hope I don't get fired for it.:ohdear:

Is it different than what they publicly posted? http://s7.vzw.com/is/content/VerizonWireless/eCatalogs/Verizon-XLTE-markets.pdf

• Locked thread