Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Speaking of BK weapons, how about the Greataxe and Ultragreatsword? Anybody given them a whirl? I was thinking of dicking around with the axe.

Edit: Freja chat, I find that Freja can't really hit you with poo poo if you stay glued to her/his/it's side. You'll be too close for any of the leg stomps. I just killed Freja by baiting the mandible lunge and shuffling off to the side then shuffling back over to stab it in the mouth etc etc etc
Greataxe is a bit worse now. UGS is fine.

Colapops posted:

I don't remember :(

edit: also what are these "extra" Illusory Rings? Exalted and Conqueror are the real ones, what about Vengeful and.. uh, the other?
Guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Schwack posted:

Oh drat, I just glanced at it the other day and assumed it was Strength. Guess I'll use the greatsword then.

Mastadon halberd is a very powerful strength weapon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

White Phosphorus posted:

If you keep beating the same head over and over it will fall off and that part of the spider will become invulnerable, so you'll have to go toe to toe after that. Also the head that falls off can be kicked around like a soccer ball and batted with the halberd's spinning attack (will break your weapon though).

I know this is possible but I've literally never had it happen to me. The thing is doing this strategy you'll end up hitting each head without even trying since Freja will typically fire her next laser out of the head you just sprinted over to.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

I got her in one on my mage, up close and personal with soul greatsword even. Now her loving baby spiders can't be hit by the god drat greatsword I have AND the thrust has to have me right in her face to hit her. If the blade doesn't go right up to the hilt I cannot do anything. I need to do this thirty times with the black knight greatsword. The only other weapon of value I've got is the santier's spear. No attacks are of value against her with it, they bounce off or do almost nothing. I'd use my crossbow but that would take over one hundred bolts.

If you have an upgraded pyromancy glove, walk in and immediately hammer the attack button to throw out a Chaos Storm. Scraps of Life or Darkstorm work fine too if you have the faith for them. Even in NG+, the baby spiders don't have a terribly large amount of health and they'll happily run right into the flame pillars trying to get you. You'll likely knock out all but 1 or 2 of them in a single cast. Just be prepared to sprint to the right once you finish the cast because Freya's going to be using her laser beam around this time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cyberventurer posted:

If you have an upgraded pyromancy glove, walk in and immediately hammer the attack button to throw out a Chaos Storm. Scraps of Life or Darkstorm work fine too if you have the faith for them. Even in NG+, the baby spiders don't have a terribly large amount of health and they'll happily run right into the flame pillars trying to get you. You'll likely knock out all but 1 or 2 of them in a single cast. Just be prepared to sprint to the right once you finish the cast because Freya's going to be using her laser beam around this time.

The only pyromancy or sorcery I've been using this run is flame weapon. I didn't expect the crossbows that aren't avelyn to be as useless as they are, even when mundane. I mean, this was pretty easy on my mage, even though I had to dodge most of the same things, the issue is melee weapons blow against Freja.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Speaking of BK weapons, how about the Greataxe and Ultragreatsword? Anybody given them a whirl? I was thinking of dicking around with the axe.

I found the Great Axe to be really bad. they really messed it up from what it was in the first Dark Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

I found the Great Axe to be really bad. they really messed it up from what it was in the first Dark Souls.

The BKGA was pretty bad in the first Dks. It was very easily parried in PVP, and it's damage output after the nerf was terrible (equivalent to the BKH).

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Another pro tip for the smelter in addition to the no-summon suggestion and his resistance to back hits: Smelter demon (and other bosses) gain high resistances during power-up animations, and Smelter has two during his fight. He looks like an easy target, but resist the urge to blow hard-hitting spells on him, they won't amount to much until he's done. It'll drag the fight out otherwise.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Genocyber posted:

The BKGA was pretty bad in the first Dks. It was very easily parried in PVP, and it's damage output after the nerf was terrible (equivalent to the BKH).

I remember it being alright but I played the first Dark Souls almost entirely PvE.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I suppose I should add a Power Fist to my Spess Marine arsenal. What's a good, gigantic, intimidating looking fist weapon?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Red Crown posted:

I suppose I should add a Power Fist to my Spess Marine arsenal. What's a good, gigantic, intimidating looking fist weapon?

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/malformed-claws It's a giant gross black crab claw.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Red Crown posted:

Caestus with Havel's Gauntlets.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Rudager posted:

The story telling is one of the big parts of Dark Souls, it's deliberately left ambiguous and not forced down your throat like most other games (not that that's necessarily a bad thing either).

I quite like that I can goto youtube and watch 10 different Dark Souls lore videos, and everyone will have the same general overarching concepts, but with slightly different details.

that's a tell tale sign that the story telling is poo poo if I can't fully piece together the plot after talking to everyone, going back to all zones to talk to people.

Also the console thread for Dark Souls 2 has the following below.

PLOT
A'hahhahahahhah

Here's the honest truth, let me try to explain the plot without watching any other videos of people trying to splice poo poo together.

King Vendrik tried to stop the curse of the undead.
meanwhile, locking up all undead in the bastille to waste away.

Vendrik marries Nashandra, she warns them of giant attack.
Vendrik goes and kills giants and comes back

Meanwhile vendriks brother Aldia was trying experiments of joining dragon and man together, and probably failed but created these weirdo lizard people wearing astronaut helmets.

Enter you, you are cursed. You are trying to get uncursed. So you're fighting your way to the king. You find the king and kick his rear end (optional), then go and find some weirdo throne of want and it ends with knowing nothing other than Nashandra is a bitch.

So why did you need to go into memories to get giant souls?
Why was there a seal on the shrine of winter requiring you to get great souls?
why did the dragon give you the item you need to go into memories?
why is vendrik dead?

So basically, they ultimately failed at telling a story. People that say the plot is good are probably the same people that say Cosmopolis is a good movie. It fails to put together a decent plot and story and leaves you walking out being confused and going "Oh I need a moment to take this all in" and when you're done and you pieced together what you can you realize it's just an obscure piece of poo poo meant to troll people in believing there is some deep meaning which you failed to deliver on.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Actually ringing the bells while you have grey phantoms hanging out should make them stumble like drunkards for a second so the invader has a chance in hell.

Would be cool, bro.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Souls games have great lore and terrible storytelling.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
What the Throne of Want is, isn't terribly ambiguous. It's mostly obsfucated by the Emerald Herald's rambling nonsense speech in the ending, which leads you to second guess yourself.

I don't think DS2 has as strong a plot as the first game, and I also don't favor the overtly nihilistic interpretations some folks in here do, but a lot of the details of DS1 were just as obtuse.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

How about you just try paying attention instead. Just because the game doesn't beat you over the head with the plot doesn't mean it isn't there.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I just had the best idea...

Take one part bell keeper montage, add in this song with "you can" replaced with "don't you"

♪ Don't you ring my beeeellll, ring my bell

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

TipsyMcStagger posted:

that's a tell tale sign that the story telling is poo poo if I can't fully piece together the plot after talking to everyone, going back to all zones to talk to people.

You're complaining that you're too stupid to piece together the plot.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
But Cosmopolis is a great movie.

Then again I DO like Don DeLillo's stuff.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Is there a version of the OST available online anywhere apart from what shipped with the special edition? The CD it came with is great but every song cuts out early (I guess to ensure that each song would fit on the disc).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Take seven: Freja jumped into a corner and fired lasers that, from that angle, are physically impossible to dodge without jumping off a ledge and dying. Her second head was pointed so I had to jump off a cliff and die to attack her. Then her legs shot spider webs at me. Then I died again. There's nothing I can do to win this fight with melee weapons and crossbows, she's unbeatable without magic. If you try she just jumps in a corner and never leaves and rapid fires lasers. This is garbage.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Take seven: Freja jumped into a corner and fired lasers that, from that angle, are physically impossible to dodge without jumping off a ledge and dying. Her second head was pointed so I had to jump off a cliff and die to attack her. Then her legs shot spider webs at me. Then I died again. There's nothing I can do to win this fight with melee weapons and crossbows, she's unbeatable without magic. If you try she just jumps in a corner and never leaves and rapid fires lasers. This is garbage.

Yep, she's totally unbeatable with melee weapons. That's why I've beaten her 5 times now with pure melee. I agree it is a garbage fight but not because its hard, just tedious.

Also, you can roll through the laser with i frames.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I've only ever beaten her with melee. Welp, that's my story hope you liked it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

Yep, she's totally unbeatable with melee weapons. That's why I've beaten her 5 times now with pure melee.

Also, you can roll through the laser with i frames.

Fifteen attempts in a row at 102 agility tells me I can't. How did you stop her from jumping to a corner and firing nothing but full area lasers? I could finish her if I could stop her from doing it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
I knew that the caestus was a great main weapon for powerstancing, but I never realized how great they are as a side-arm. Just one is a poise breaking snap attack that you can keep in your left hand to stun them so you can smack 'em with something heavier. Not to mention that having a pair as a backup is great when you find someone that much faster than you. They usually get surprised when you switch from big fat beatstick to lightning fast jabs.

Also never realized how much the Demon's Great Hammer and the Old Whip were like winning the lottery if you get them as your first item. It's just hey, yeah, have two of the best weapons of their respective stats right off the bat.

And gently caress you guys, the BKGA was loving awesome in the first game and Labrys is the best playthrough I've ever done. First and only character to take out Manus in one try.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

Fifteen attempts in a row at 102 agility tells me I can't.

With that much agi you most certainly can. Its one of the harder attacks in the game to avoid though. I think the laser has a wider hitbox than the model suggests, so you have to time your roll very well to not only avoid the initial impact but also still be invincible when it passes through you. I've done it with less agi than you have though.

I've never had her jump into a position where it was impossible to hit her, nor heard of anyone complaining about that before. I don't know what your doing, but when she goes to fire her laser immediately run towards the side of her head. You should be able to get past her and walk over to the other side of her body and smack the other head around. Sometimes you might not have much time to attack, but you should always be able to avoid the laser doing that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 30, 2014

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

neetengie posted:

Greataxe is a bit worse now. UGS is fine.

Guilty.

Yeah but what do they dooooo / what were they forrrrr

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My strategy for Freja was just to get right in her face, and roll out of the way when she attacked (bite or acid since she doesn't do the laser when you're that close), staying too far in to her sides for her legs to reach me when they stomped. The time I beat her I went from getting killed horribly over and over to not getting hit once.

I did have a couple pyromancies but I used them all from melee range. If the other strategies people posted aren't working, try this one maybe?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Internet Kraken posted:

With that much agi you most certainly can. Its one of the harder attacks in the game to avoid though. I think the laser has a wider hitbox than the model suggests, so you have to time your roll very well to not only avoid the initial impact but also still be invincible when it passes through you. I've done it with less agi than you have though.

I've never had her jump into a position where it was impossible to hit her, nor heard of anyone complaining about that before.

It's not that it's impossible to hit her, it's that I can't hit her without her eating me in her mandibles or firing her laser. The other head is physically unreachable at that point though.

quote:

I did have a couple pyromancies but I used them all from melee range. If the other strategies people posted aren't working, try this one maybe?

Yeah I think I'll give up and just put on a southern ritual band and just spam fireball. I have to get eaten to attack with anything less than an ultra greatsword.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

She really isn't. Your problem is you're not nearly close enough. If you're fighting Freja right, you should basically never see the laser move at all.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's not that it's impossible to hit her, it's that I can't hit her without her eating me in her mandibles or firing her laser. The other head is physically unreachable at that point though.

Yeah I think I'll give up and just put on a southern ritual band and just spam fireball. I have to get eaten to attack with anything less than an ultra greatsword.

Sounds like you're getting greedy or just being too drat slow. I can, without fail, get in two hits on Freja per mandible lunge. I get one swing coming back around her side, follow up once, then it's time to gtfo because the mandible lunge is coming. Repeat.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Get right in her face. When she attacks, move to her side, then smash her face in during cooldown. Leg spam? Get near her 'abs', she seems to have a blindspot there.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

When you run up to her face you should have plenty of time to smack her a few times with absolutely any melee weapon. I was using a Falchion. All her face attacks have big tells, so as long as you roll to her side and then just literally stand there and wait for the attack to finish, nothing will hit you.

The hardest part of the fight is the very beginning when you've got tons of spiders. Once you've thinned the herd, when the occasional straggler comes along you just take care of them from the same spot where you're avoiding her head attacks and then get back to the main fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

She really isn't. Your problem is you're not nearly close enough. If you're fighting Freja right, you should basically never see the laser move at all.

If you're fighting her right you'll bait that attack because it leaves the other head wide open.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Genocyber posted:

If you're fighting her right you'll bait that attack because it leaves the other head wide open.

Maybe it's a mutually exclusive thing, if you're fighting her right you never see the laser, or you only see the laser.

Granted when I fight her she sometimes does the leg stomp but that's because I didn't sprint out in time to bait the laser but I'm still miles away when those legs come down.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

But baiting mandible lunges requires so much less effort and running around :effort:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Maybe it's a mutually exclusive thing, if you're fighting her right you never see the laser, or you only see the laser.

Yeah people have been describing two different strategies and I think it really depends on what you find easier. Personally I prefer to stay in one spot and not have to worry about the laser at all. When I was running all over the place I would inevitably screw up and get hit by something. Staying near her head the whole time dramatically reduces how many different attacks you have to worry about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Everything but the greatsword hilt is physically inside her when I attack. I can't be closer. This still wasn't enough to hit her with anything but the BKGS's one handed R2 (but she could hit me with her mandibles!). And only once before having to let the animations reset. Even better, the pyromancies did zero damage to her. Flame Swathe blew up inside her head and did nothing. Ultimately my phantom friends were able to run interference enough to snipe her down with crossbow bolts, and she didn't go into the corner of laser death so I could just ran past the laser like usual.

I didn't have these issues with sorceries, and I had to dodge all the same poo poo AND hold in place in front of the legs to use them. Ugh.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Everything but the greatsword hilt is physically inside her when I attack. I can't be closer. This still wasn't enough to hit her with anything but the BKGS's one handed R2 (but she could hit me with her mandibles!). And only once before having to let the animations reset. Even better, the pyromancies did zero damage to her. Flame Swathe blew up inside her head and did nothing. Ultimately my phantom friends were able to run interference enough to snipe her down with crossbow bolts, and she didn't go into the corner of laser death so I could just ran past the laser like usual.

I didn't have these issues with sorceries, and I had to dodge all the same poo poo AND hold in place in front of the legs to use them. Ugh.

For reference, what weapon are you using? Are we talking the capital G greatsword, anime brand?

Edit: Oh, BKGS. You should just do what I did then, come around the corner of her side towards her head, R2 lung directly at the side of their head then follow up. Both hits should connect. She'll rear back for another lunge, you gtfo. If you're not able to do this, you're just not being fast enough.

Double Edit: The R2 combo specifically works because the follow up spin on the BKGS comes from the left, meaning it doesn't impact into her armor sides. Assuming you're on the correct side.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah people have been describing two different strategies and I think it really depends on what you find easier. Personally I prefer to stay in one spot and not have to worry about the laser at all. When I was running all over the place I would inevitably screw up and get hit by something. Staying near her head the whole time dramatically reduces how many different attacks you have to worry about.

I can't stand still in that fight, maybe it's not an issue on NG or NG+ but in NG5+ those small spiders pretty much get a one-hit kill and take two to three swings to kill.