Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, the joke of,"Guy in a position of responsibility/power is surprisingly young" is hardly a new one, and certainly wasn't invented by 30 Rock.

And it certainly wasn't invented by Louis CK, which is my point. I don't care who did it first, but it wasn't Louis. Regardless, the joke isn't "surprisingly young", the joke is "13 years old".

Sorry, but that's the same gag no matter how you look at it.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Plus he stole his entire persona of being an unattractive fat schlub from John Belushi*. How about some originality in this show, that's all I'm asking.

e1: *Who probably stole being fat from W. C. Fields or Fatty Arbuckle. Levels and levels of unoriginality :(

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It does amuse me that people bitch about Adam Sandler giving his terrible unfunny friends roles when Louis CK does the exact same thing with all his unfunny C-list stand-up buddies.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Dude there's no way Louie could dance or sing like Belushi. Or stay up for three days and nights in a row binging on massive amounts of cocaine then wandering off the set of The Blues Brothers to some random person's house who invites him to sleep on his couch and raid his fridge just because.....like Belushi.

I like how in the flashback the greatest sex either of them had with each other lasted like 4 seconds. Also if the first daughter ever found out how she was conceived I feel like she would have such a right to be completely pissed at both parents.

It's strange how Janet was always trying to railroad Louie into this idea she wanted for a man and he resisted (he didn't give up on his comedy). What she wanted him to be was really just some idea in her head that had nothing to do with the actual Louie. And now maybe she is trying to railroad Jane into all these ideas of what her daughter should be, while Louie is just trying to help Jane ultimately do whatever she wants to do. I feel like the talk he had with her about what's really going on didn't also happen between Jane and her mom because her mom is kind of absorbed in herself.

drat I'm too invested in TV shows...I can feel it....my future is slipping away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edit: Actually I'm just contributing to a silly derail, sorry everybody.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 30, 2014

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It does amuse me that people bitch about Adam Sandler giving his terrible unfunny friends roles when Louis CK does the exact same thing with all his unfunny C-list stand-up buddies.

That's because Louis CK is making a quality product that we all enjoy. He's also not grossly inflating the budget just so his buddies can cash out with a massive payday. I usually don't think his stand up friends are that funny in the show, but if you read the thread you can see that many (most?) people do. Your complaint is hardly a fair comparison.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

dantheman650 posted:

That's because Louis CK is making a quality product that we all enjoy. He's also not grossly inflating the budget just so his buddies can cash out with a massive payday. I usually don't think his stand up friends are that funny in the show, but if you read the thread you can see that many (most?) people do. Your complaint is hardly a fair comparison.

Yeah. the issue with Sandler was never "he casts his comedy friends in roles" (name me one comedian with creative control who doesn't do that), the issue was "he makes zero effort lowest common denominator dreck solely to generate paydays for himself and his friends". World of difference.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Also Greg Fitzsimmons and Todd Barry are brilliant comedians. Aren't those guys in every Sandler film just some dudes he went to high school with or something?

Pigbog
Apr 28, 2005

Unless that is Spider-man if Spider-man were a backyard wrestler or Kurt Cobain, your costume looks shitty.
Also Louie is a stand-up on the show, and half the scenes takes place in a real life comedy club. It would be weird if there were no comedians around.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
With Sandler it's more a mishmash of costars from his SNL days and various people he's befriended along the way, like Kevin James. And despite a lot of these Sandler buddies being, well, talent deprived, Sandler continually gives them roles in his movies and even bankrolls their own TV and movie projects through Happy Madison. I have a hard time believing people like Nick Swardson and Peter Dante still have hollywood careers without Sandler.

Louis CK having his standup buddies make appearances on his (relatively) low budget cable show isn't anywhere near what Sandler does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That Ursula Parker interview is the best, I wish this would fit as a thread title:

"I would never jump off a train like that. That’s just something I would not normally do. Unless there’s a fire on the subway or something."

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
This episode just got super uncomfortable. :gonk:

Jangles
Apr 1, 2006

hcreight posted:

Yeah, this season is going in a dark direction. Might be dropping this for a while.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

hcreight posted:

what the gently caress was that anyway, seriously

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Debbie Metallica posted:

what the gently caress was that anyway, seriously

That was an attempt to show how hosed up Louie is in his, uh, heartbreak, and how loving stupid he gets around Pamela. And he played rough. I suspect it's going to trigger a whole bunch of people and turn a bunch of others into idiots, and that is all I feel comfortable saying.

Goddamn that made me sick.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I feel like he is so full of self loathing and really making his character a terrible hypocrite. I mean he preceded that whole thing with him delivering a feminist rant (which was directly the bits he used on SNL earlier this year), that's not on accident.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
"you are a classic idiot" made me choke on my water

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

greatn posted:

I feel like he is so full of self loathing and really making his character a terrible hypocrite. I mean he preceded that whole thing with him delivering a feminist rant (which was directly the bits he used on SNL earlier this year), that's not on accident.

The scene afterward was the weirdest part of all, honestly. But I haven't gotten super into any of the Elevator arc this season anyway.

e: and yes the scenes with Charles Grodin this season have been great

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
"I'm not entirely sure what your name is."

This season has been excellent so far and Charles Grodin has been hands down my favorite part of it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Second episode was pretty lovely. Did we need five minutes of standup from his special that's a year old?

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

blue squares posted:

Second episode was pretty lovely. Did we need five minutes of standup from his special that's a year old?

The atheism dunking? I'd already forgotten that happened ahahahah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love how intense that hurricane was. Last week it killed Lebron, this week it killed half of Brooklyn.

I think I may have been giving Louis CK the benefit of the doubt too often. In addition to him trying to film the funniest attempted rape ever this week, I've been listening to his appearances on Opie & Anthony's radio show (they're all on youtube). I don't know how much is just him playing to their shitbag audience, but there's a whole lot of racist jokes and I think Joan Rivers is the only woman they ever talk about that he doesn't call a "oval office." In one of them, Patrice O'Neal talks about the etymology of some racial slur, and Louis comes back with "Well, you know where 'friend of the family' comes from, right? One day this black guy was just being a huge friend of the family, and ..."

Anyway, that was a return to form for Pamela this week. Just the right level of charming rear end in a top hat. It completely strains belief that she would ever hang out with Louie again after this, but this was part 1 of 3, so :shrug:

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

part 1 of 3, so :shrug:

Gah what is WITH that?

Maybe I'm just in the minority but I like it when the episodes are largely self-contained with a tiny bit of spillover for continuity but it's not just the same story extended and extended. Two more episodes of that, yikes.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Hurricane episode was good, Pamela episode was hosed up. Holy poo poo.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Debbie Metallica posted:

Gah what is WITH that?

Maybe I'm just in the minority but I like it when the episodes are largely self-contained with a tiny bit of spillover for continuity but it's not just the same story extended and extended. Two more episodes of that, yikes.

The schedule I saw goes "Pamela" 1 this week, next week it's "In the Woods" Parts 1 & 2, and then the week after that the season ends on "Pamela" 2 & 3.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Someone described the show as a Auteur's comedic show, I can't tell if they are right or they are wrong.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Someone described the show as a Auteur's comedic show, I can't tell if they are right or they are wrong.

It seems about right, at least until recently. His style of dropping into short scenes with super-minimal exposition is unique as far as I know.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Wow that "rape" scene was really cringe worthy but also really, really uncomfortable to watch. I have a friend who won't watch this show because of Louis CK himself and I think I completely understand exactly why she won't now.

Like I totally know what he was doing with the standup bit before and then back at the apartment but man anyone could either take it out of context or whatever.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

That is the second rape scene that Louie has done this season and they both ended drastically different. I don't know if he is going for some angle where if people like each other then being aggressive is kinda "okay" or what but drat poo poo was awkward.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SaltLick posted:

That is the second rape scene that Louie has done this season and they both ended drastically different. I don't know if he is going for some angle where if people like each other then being aggressive is kinda "okay" or what but drat poo poo was awkward.
Well Louie (the character) is just loving terrible at reading people. For starters, Amia he can't even understand and he has it in his head he's totally in loving love with her. And then with Pam, sure I guess you could say the scene in the diner she might just be teasing but honestly at the apartment that was just like a complete misread of the situation and just super loving awkward and lucky it was Pam and not someone else who could speak English.

:shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I did not expect this season to be so completely hosed up.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
Anyone else feel like Amia and Pamela are the yin and yang, respectively, of Louie's perfect woman? He gets along with both women just as well as each other but in entirely different ways. Plus there are been parallels between Louie's relationships with both, i.e. sleeping on the red couch and Louie's sleeping (and attempt at sleeping) with either lady. (I'm sure there have been other references I missed.) Or maybe it's just a comment that he can't have both.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I really liked the "I'm looking for a dog" bit

entropy
Jul 19, 2003

I'm afraid I just blue and gold myself.
These two were somewhat disappointing compared to other episodes this season. The first episode, the plot just seemed so generic, I kept waiting for some interesting twist to it all, and it basically just ended up being "she left, he's sad". If it was just one or two scenes, I could get behind that, but this was the finale of a six-part episode, and the conclusion just felt really underwhelming.

The Pamela episode really comes down to that end scene. Not sure what kind of stuff he does regarding commentaries or DVD extras, but I'd enjoy hearing the though process behind that episode. Although his attitude sometimes is "Here's a thing I wanted an episode to be about so I did it", I do think he was trying to do something specific. But like most people's reaction, I cringed. It just seemed so out of character for Louie to act like that. Maybe he felt like he wasn't forward enough with Ania (sp?), so he's overcompensating with Pam? Even still, it just didn't seem like him compared to what we've seen so far.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fire officials say that all 10 people died from the fire, which was too hot for their bodies.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What park was that in the beginning? The one in the mist. loving pretty.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

entropy posted:

The Pamela episode really comes down to that end scene. Not sure what kind of stuff he does regarding commentaries or DVD extras, but I'd enjoy hearing the though process behind that episode. Although his attitude sometimes is "Here's a thing I wanted an episode to be about so I did it", I do think he was trying to do something specific. But like most people's reaction, I cringed. It just seemed so out of character for Louie to act like that. Maybe he felt like he wasn't forward enough with Ania (sp?), so he's overcompensating with Pam? Even still, it just didn't seem like him compared to what we've seen so far.

He's trying to be more masculine by being more aggressive, even though that's not him so he's bad at it. It works for him with Amia and during the hurricane, but eventually he ends up being a prick to Pamela and getting into a dumb spat on the bus.

That's not to excuse that near rape scene though. I think that's what he was going for, but there was surely better ways to show it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Levy on vacay.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

PostNouveau posted:

That's not to excuse that near rape scene though. I think that's what he was going for, but there was surely better ways to show it.

Maybe like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhF7-QreW2I&feature=player_detailpage#t=274

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, that was pretty hosed up too. Her hitting him so hard it breaks her window always disturbs me.

• Locked thread