Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

I really enjoyed this book, which made a departure from previous Beevor books. It was also insanely depressing for me, especially since I consider myself left-wing.

Try being left-wing AND Spanish.

I was asking because I've recently finished this one and really enjoyed it. Beevor takes a pretty neutral stance (maybe a slight Republican slant?), unlike basically every Spanish author ever. I was hoping to find something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Are there seriously that many spanish authors that are pro-Franco? I've lived in Portugal and that country is now left wing as hell after it got rid of Salazar, so that's pretty surprising to me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Are there seriously that many spanish authors that are pro-Franco? I've lived in Portugal and that country is now left wing as hell after it got rid of Salazar, so that's pretty surprising to me.
There are plenty of books that try to "compensate" the crimes on Franco's side with the Republican's, so not not pro-Franco, per se, but rather very anti-Republican. On the other hand there are plenty of left wing authors that portrait the Republicans as heroes and completely skip over the atrocities that happened there. It's pretty rare to have an objective view on this topic.

As a society, we kinda put a blanket over that period of history and everyone carried on with the same political beliefs they had before the war (minus the killing each other part, thankfully).

Sorry for the derail.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

silvergoose posted:

I'm glad you had fun, but yeah, NT is definitely a game where it's a bit rough on new players when playing experienced players. On the other hand, it's such an incredibly fun game that hopefully he had a good time anyway.

I'm curious; how did you think of my opinion that Allied is easier on newbies than French? Given that he didn't do so well, you might maintain your opinion, but I wanna know!
I still think the French are easier, just for the simple fact that attacking is more difficult than defending in this game. Sure, later on in the game you need to attack as the french but at least you are aware of how to do it by the time it comes down to it, especially if you have seen what the Allied player is doing. On the other hand, you can get completely crushed as France if you aren't careful and deploy to cover all your bases/shuffle reinforcements around 2 hours before they are needed. Then again, the same is true of the Allies as the only thing you seem to be able to do is send human-wave like attacks against entrenched, on-approach positions.

I mean, my opponent did manage a penetration on my right, but he didn't have the reserve necessary to exploit and his attack got surrounded and then almost completely destroyed. If he had just a couple more corps to widen the assault he would have completely destroyed me on that flank.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Tekopo posted:

I still think the French are easier, just for the simple fact that attacking is more difficult than defending in this game. Sure, later on in the game you need to attack as the french but at least you are aware of how to do it by the time it comes down to it, especially if you have seen what the Allied player is doing. On the other hand, you can get completely crushed as France if you aren't careful and deploy to cover all your bases/shuffle reinforcements around 2 hours before they are needed. Then again, the same is true of the Allies as the only thing you seem to be able to do is send human-wave like attacks against entrenched, on-approach positions.

I mean, my opponent did manage a penetration on my right, but he didn't have the reserve necessary to exploit and his attack got surrounded and then almost completely destroyed. If he had just a couple more corps to widen the assault he would have completely destroyed me on that flank.

*nod*

Makes sense; I think I was biased having watched half a game before playing my first game, which strengthened the core mechanics enough that playing as the allies was reasonable enough. Regardless, best game. Hope your opponent will play you some more!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Nothing like getting to the chapter on atrocities to curb my enthusiasm for gaming the conflict

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

About 400 out of 840 counters in Unconditional Surrender done now, kill me now.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I'm finishing up the last half sheet of Space Empires 4x and Close Encounters right now. 1320 counters between the two of them :gonk:. Fortunately I can do about 5 a minute with my fancy corner cutter doohickey.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The largest total for a single game was 1400 in None But Heroes. Say goodbye to the weekend! I thank god for Oregon Lamination and their wonderful corner cutter, it really cuts corners when it comes to counter clipping :v:

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Couldn't you just not clip the counters...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Paper Mac posted:

Counter-clipping has both an esoteric and exoteric significance. Upon inquiry, many initiates will claim that counter-clipping "reduces wear" or "stops counters from snagging on one another in adjacent hexes". Some insist that corner fluff has anticancer properties, others that removing it prevents the accumulation of disease and removes the otherworldly handles by which ghosts or djinn monkey with the counters between sessions. The inner meaning of counter-clipping, however, is related to the experience of war. Orderly, together, in their natal frame, the counters are physically attached to one another. Here they are happy, beautiful, impotent. It is only when punched, then clipped, shorn of their umbilical corner fluff and thus all memories of the womb-frame, that they can descend into the madness of the battlefield and deal death. There are deeper levels of meaning, but they are inarticulable and available only to the high-level counter-clipper.
I'll quote this. Also they look pretty :3:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Couldn't you just not clip the counters...

It felt weird enough to buy a pair of tweezers to play Fields of Fire (my first game with plenty of small counters). I'm perfectly happy keeping the corners as they are.

Speaking of which, I'm really enjoying Fields of Fire after finding a good rewrite of the rules written in plain English rather than this chapter-section-subsection nonsense. The communications system is great: You can only give orders to a squad effectively if they are connected to your HQ somehow, but to push forward into enemy territory you have to either risk valuable HQ units (the ones who carry the radios, usually) or send fire teams into the woods to fend for themselves.

I also had an Eureka moment some time ago about how to take on a fortified position. Use a fire team to pin down the enemy, flank them and charge it tossing grenades into the trenches/foxhole/bunker. Minor thing, but it made em think of this, which is a Good Thing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I still want to get a copy of Field of Fire (although really I should try to get through Navajo Wars when I have the time, the furthest I got was the end of the Mexican Era). I'm curious about FoFII as well. Also I was against counter clipping until I bought the corner cutter, it really makes the entire thing a passive experience that you can just do in front of the computer/TV and the counters do look nicer and are easier to handle once you have finished. Also + resale value (why would you resale a wargame you monster).

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
My copy of Navajo Wars should arrive soon, either this week or next. Watch me never get time to play it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

My copy of Navajo Wars should arrive soon, either this week or next. Watch me never get time to play it.

I am so bad at Navajo Wars. Any tips on how to not get completely wrecked by turn 4?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm curious about Navajo Wars. I'm particularly interested in the sense that the Spanish/Mexicans/Americans are monolithic and machine-like, literally a faceless game mechanic. Anyone played it?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I've played it quite a few times. I can't really give tips because it is a difficult game to juggle. Building up reserves of corn/ensuring that you get rid of famine counters is pretty important, because the free food from just being in an area can really save you. I usually pick out horses because the extra movement allowance is very good, there's another tech tree that is good but I forgot which one it is. Enemy haciendas/missions etc should be destroyed as quickly as possible.

As for the game itself, the enemies are kind of faceless but there are some events that give them life. You can try some limited diplomacy but the enemies will always strike out sooner or later. I feel they do have character because they'll attempt various things, like creation mission, encroaching on your lands, or outright raid you, and will be more aggressive if you yourself are aggressive. It's a very interesting game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Anyone ever play "Angola" it sounds interesting and is being reprinted by MMP.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

drat you guys :argh:

Now I have to do all of them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ropes4u posted:

Anyone ever play "Angola" it sounds interesting and is being reprinted by MMP.

Angola has some fairly interesting systems going on for it. It's not really like the COIN games, but instead it has a pre-planned turn structure. It's not really meaningfully 4-player though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I do want to give Angola a try at some point, but it's probably going to be difficult to find people that are interested in giving it a go.

Fat Samurai posted:

Hahaha, yeeees, another convert :twisted:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, so that's what you guys were talking about. My copy of Sword of Rome could probably do with that treatment.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Panzeh posted:

Angola has some fairly interesting systems going on for it. It's not really like the COIN games, but instead it has a pre-planned turn structure. It's not really meaningfully 4-player though.

To bad i liked the concept, it would probably sit on a shelf it's whole life.

Why clip the corners?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
If you don't clip the counters the grognards will make fun of you.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Quote the amazing thing again Tekopo

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

People can just scroll up :v:

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
I just started playing around with ASL Starter Kit 1 in VASSAL. I played scenarios 1 and 2. Had some fun sending the German 9-1 leader on a solo run with a DC. I haven't seen anything that blew my mind yet though.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
Playing ASL SK Scenario 3: Simple Equation. Status as of beginning of turn 4.

The Americans north flanking attack took heavy casualties crossing the open area east of the forest. They eventually got a 666 with a MMG and a 8-0 leader through.

The south attack was hindered by some amazing good rolls. The American squads remain in a very dangerous position on the south flank.

The Germans still hold the city center. Though the north flanking unit is threat that needs to be addressed quickly.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone recommend "Thunderbolt Apache Leader" I really want a a solo game it looks a bit simpler than D-day Omaha beach..

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I kind of like TAL since it's actually a pretty tactical game in comparison to hornet or phantom leader. It's definitely the.best DVG game out there. I think you can find a post about it if you go through my posts in this thread.

One Pigeon
Jun 21, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone recommend "Thunderbolt Apache Leader" I really want a a solo game it looks a bit simpler than D-day Omaha beach..

I own both and can definitely say that TAL is the lighter of the two but still very fun in it's own right.
An advantage it has over D-day is that once you get to know the system you can easily finish a mission in under an hour (sometimes far less) then make a note of where you are, pack it up, and come back to continue that campaign another time.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Perfect, that is what I was hoping for. I wanted a game to play in the morning before my wife wakes up and life moves on. Omaha is coming but it won't see much play until I find some fellow goons.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Any word on Fire in the Lake? I remember hearing it read suppose to come out on June/July and I've been bugging my local store about getting it pre ordered but they're not seeing it on their system which frustrates me. Since A Distant Plain wasn't very popular with my group, it hit to close to home for some people. So I told then about Fire in the Lake and they were interested in that.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

KomradeX posted:

Any word on Fire in the Lake? I remember hearing it read suppose to come out on June/July and I've been bugging my local store about getting it pre ordered but they're not seeing it on their system which frustrates me. Since A Distant Plain wasn't very popular with my group, it hit to close to home for some people. So I told then about Fire in the Lake and they were interested in that.

It's still scheduled to print in July, and they'll ship to the many P500 backers first before putting together store orders so it might be a month or two after that.

Also Twilight Struggle Digital Kickstarter at a much better price point than GMT's effort.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FebrezeNinja posted:

Also Twilight Struggle Digital Kickstarter at a much better price point than GMT's effort.

:vince: Welp, there goes 25 dollars!

I wish Memoir 44's digital version moved away from the penny-pinching model and was more like Ticket to Ride

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

:vince: Welp, there goes 25 dollars!

I wish Memoir 44's digital version moved away from the penny-pinching model and was more like Ticket to Ride

I will probably get soaked for $75 since I want the board game. It appears I have an issue buying games I want, and not games my group will play. But I ordered TAL so I can foray into the solo life...

Ropes4u fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 7, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I watched the latest video by Calandale of Unconditional Surrender and.. the southern German army in Russia was completely wiped out. That's really something you don't see in most WW2 games (pc and board) in the late game, if ever.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I wanted to watch the calandale videos of USE but christ, hour long videos without editing? Ugh...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
See now that's just plain wrong. They ARE edited. With the Youtube editor. Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I asked this in the BGG forums, but didn't like the answer. Let's try again:

Playing Fields of Fire I ended up in a situation where I had to place enemy troops in a card where they couldn't shoot at my troops, because there were other German troops in the way. They told me that I had to draw for placement again, because enemies have to shoot at the card that triggered the contact (you find enemies by getting shot at, basically).

But then what happens while moving into a card that has both enemy presence AND a PC marker? It's going to be impossible for enemies to shoot at the card, because there are already German troops in there. Does this mean that you automatically clean PC Markers? It seems an easy way to remove the most dangeous ones, especially if you charge into a pinned enemy and start tossing grenades at them..

Follow up question: do enemy troops ignore caqptured German litter and paralyzed teams when deciding whther to shoot you or not? Because that sounds like human shields to me.