Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BennyGsGhost
Jun 27, 2002

Low P/B or Bust
Pillbug

Kalman posted:

Graphics aside, so far Dream Quest is a ton of fun to play - the deck building and combat both are fun and the rogue like aspect keeps it interesting. Really nicely designed game - if you let the graphics keep you from playing it and are a fan of deck building type mechanics, you're missing out.

I think it's been noted before but it really sucks on an iPhone - the tap targets are far, far too small. I found myself tapping repeatedly at tiny squares to get any result. On the iPad it's a much better story and the game does seem like fun so far.

Also it annoys me the iPhone version isn't 4" screen size, but that's less about function and more about aesthetic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Ben Grahams Ghost posted:

I think it's been noted before but it really sucks on an iPhone - the tap targets are far, far too small. I found myself tapping repeatedly at tiny squares to get any result. On the iPad it's a much better story and the game does seem like fun so far.

Also it annoys me the iPhone version isn't 4" screen size, but that's less about function and more about aesthetic

As a counter point, I've had no problem at all playing on my iPhone 5. Of course, I've never gotten the the third floor, where I'm assuming the squares are smaller than they are on the second, so maybe I'll change my tune once I get that far.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The deal 5 damage or draw 2 cards card is hard to tap on my Air, I can't imagine doing it on a phone.

Also I may just be a big babby but the difficulty could be maybe tweaked a little. Clearing a floor and having to face down the Slime or Cumulo Nimbus as a level three warrior or rogue is a nightmare.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

drat the new battle hearts game is awesome. Plays and looks amazing. I'm sure I've already jacked my character all up but it's too much fun to put down.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Jibo posted:

The deal 5 damage or draw 2 cards card is hard to tap on my Air, I can't imagine doing it on a phone.

Also I may just be a big babby but the difficulty could be maybe tweaked a little. Clearing a floor and having to face down the Slime or Cumulo Nimbus as a level three warrior or rogue is a nightmare.

Always try to have atleast one lvl3 elemental slash or two lvl2 elemental slashes as a non magic user on the first floor; Even if the first floor boss is not physical resistant, there is always a chance on the second floor you would meet something nasty that is physical resistant or immune before you reach a shop to buy non physical stuff.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

Yeah the RNG is brutal. A small first floor without a boss then the rest of the game would be better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I must not have been paying much attention to the development of Battleheart Legacy because I sure wasn't expecting a full-fledged RPG.

This is awesome!

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

loudog999 posted:

How is it on the mini? I downloaded it on my air but the orientation and control scheme did not make it really playable. I have since downloaded it on my iphone 5 and it is much easier to control.

That's what I was coming in to ask, I feel like this game is pushing more towards being played on my phone that iPad, oddly enough. All that touch just seems cumbersome on a larger screen.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I wanted to try out the post-game video playback recorder on Naval Tactics by Chimera, and I had a game today worthy of it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbu_r4ISb-A

This was a 3-way game that played out over just about 3 days. In this particular one we only had enough points for a single ship plus a couple upgrades. Everyone got three fleet or ship cards. Every game goes 40 rounds, and this one was a draw until round 40, but that was a tense brawl of maneuvering, managing crew, switching between firing/repair/sailing focusses, swapping between main and battle sails (the latter being slower but less susceptible to the bar and chain shot ammunition, which can completely wreck your mobility). The wind direction can be seen changing in the lower right corner. The outer rings on each ship show the armor on that facing, and the center circle is the hull health. I think their recorder did a pretty good job.

Edit: Oh cool, they really let you go back in time on some of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxEg--grjHM

Here is a more bog-standard 2 player fleet game, between a couple of newer players, wherein I swarmed some very dangerous ships with my much lighter ones in order to lock them into my sea of flaming wrecks as I snuck a couple of merchant ships through the carnage and into the safe harbor. He even fell for my decoy merchant. It was close!

Fix fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 29, 2014

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
So this is gonna sound really picky, but when I play Secret of Mana on my IPad mini, the battery/time overlay obscures the top of the screen.

Is there any way to get rid of that? Googling gets me nothing specific, but it seems like it may be an issue with apps that haven't been optimised for tablets or something. Figured I'd try asking before giving up.

a glitch fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 29, 2014

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

loudog999 posted:

How is it on the mini? I downloaded it on my air but the orientation and control scheme did not make it really playable. I have since downloaded it on my iphone 5 and it is much easier to control.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I played for a bit this morning and then got busy with something else.

I didn't have any problems with it on my mini. The locked orientation is annoying, but I think for the size the controls fit just right. With the mini I think the thumb control is in just the right location, but anything bigger would make it a pain to play. I installed it a bit ago on my iphone 5 to compare the differences, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Professors are real silly.

Now time to try winning with a real class.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
It says on the Mika Mobile blog that you can learn every skill before you're done with the game so I wouldn't sweat screwing up.

This game is awesome so I almost don't want to say this but Battleheart was one of my favorite games and I'm a little sad this isn't just a more developed version of it.

harmless_fun
Sep 25, 2007
I am also really enjoying Battleheart Legacy, but it has started crashing constantly on me and I can't get more than halfway through most areas. I've restarted my iphone 5, freed up memory, installed latest OS update; I think it might be a skill combo. I'm trying to use Stealth, Summon Pet, Poisoned Knife, and Incendiary Arrow together (Ranger/Rogue, so fun).

Anyone else seeing this?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

harmless_fun posted:

I am also really enjoying Battleheart Legacy, but it has started crashing constantly on me and I can't get more than halfway through most areas. I've restarted my iphone 5, freed up memory, installed latest OS update; I think it might be a skill combo. I'm trying to use Stealth, Summon Pet, Poisoned Knife, and Incendiary Arrow together (Ranger/Rogue, so fun).

Anyone else seeing this?

I was reading TA as the DEV said that they have a few maps that take up too much memory which might cause crashes. He said that the first patch should fix it. That's the only thing I can think of.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I get a crash whenever I enter the colosseum. Worked the first time but hasn't since; rebooted & everything.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Professors are real silly.

Now time to try winning with a real class.

Haha 3 entralls. Steals cards all day erry day.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I've got 5 bucks iTunes credit. Should I get Wayward Souls or Battleheart Legacy?

I'm into Dark Souls, so I like the challenge Wayward Souls would give.

But Battleheart Legacy seems more fun and less frustrating, but I also think maybe I should wait until all the bugs are patched.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I found the game got vastly less difficult as soon as I got the Paladin ability that makes your attacks spew holy chain lightning. Combine that with the other paladin buffs (lifesteal and +damage) and you're invincible while making GBS threads AOE damage.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ChocNitty posted:

I've got 5 bucks iTunes credit. Should I get Wayward Souls or Battleheart Legacy?

I'm into Dark Souls, so I like the challenge Wayward Souls would give.

But Battleheart Legacy seems more fun and less frustrating, but I also think maybe I should wait until all the bugs are patched.

Well, (sorry Kepa!) Wayward Souls is a really good game but I think Battleheart Legacy is gonna have the most bang for your buck. Both are plenty challenging but WS is tough in a more repetitive way; so far, in Battleheart, when I've hit a roadblock I've been able to sit back & think "should I approach this with a different skill loadout?" or, "should I work on some other quest instead?" -- in Wayward Souls (which is far more linear) the difficult bits feel like much more of a wall. Power through or die trying. Don't regret spending money on either, but I'm a little burnt out on Wayward Souls & don't see myself feeling that way with Battleheart any time soon.

Edit: also they're pretty different games. WS is a very pure, distilled dungeon crawler with permadeath -- you can use gold you earn during runs to incrementally upgrade each class's abilities during future runs (and i really mean incrementally -- you might spend 15 minutes on a failed run and earn enough gold to give a character +1% chance of critical hits in future runs).

Battleheart has no permadeath (you lose some gold when you die, but keep all XP and item drops you acquire) and there are a HUGE variety of skills you can learn & equip which all differ drastically and account for a wide variety of playstyles. Right now I'm running a character with an assortment of temporary damage buffs, plus a buff that lets me leech HP based on damage dealt, plus a skill that lets me charm an enemy to temporarily fight for me. I can stand in a crowd and swing at bunch of enemies with the leech+damage effects & charm the strongest one to tank for me and it's a ton of fun. Looking in this thread, and at other forums, I haven't really seen a similar build & that kind of flexibility is what makes Battleheart Legacy a must-buy, to me.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 30, 2014

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

harmless_fun posted:

Anyone else seeing this?

Pets are currently broken for everyone, both the summoned wolf from the ranger tree and the necromancer's pets. I'd stay away from them until the patch hits, which was already submitted to Apple. Here's a quick rundown of fixes in the first update.

quote:

Fixes:
• Improved memory efficiency and load times, particularly on later levels with large numbers of enemies.
• Mana Strike (Battlemage) was not factoring in all buffs/multipliers, and doing less damage than intended. This has been corrected.
• Fixed a rare crash that could occur when summoning pets in the Solar Crystal Keeps.
• Fixed another crash that could occur from summoning pets almost anywhere.
• Fixed an issue with elemental resistances which would cause them to produce bizarre behavior, sometimes increasing damage instead of reducing it
• It is no longer possible to corrupt the random encounter with the fleeing ninja by dying in the middle of it after killing the head guardsman
• Fixed an issue where the player would become "stuck in combat" with a distant enemy on certain maps, making it impossible to open chests, spend stat points or access their character sheet
• The chest at the end of Rotten Mine is no longer locked incorrectly
• Gregor no longer lingers in the frost giant's cave after you've already rescued him
• Summon Mummy (Necromancer) no longer has it's cooldown screwed up until you overwrite the dead mummy with a skeleton
• The Monk trainer's dialog no longer resets when she relocates from her starting point
• It's no longer possible to do Rasmus' quest chain more than once.
• Using teleport in the middle of another special move will no longer interrupt that special move, potentially causing bizarre results (like getting the game stuck in slow-motion).
• The castle steward in the Capital now actually marks the locations of the solar shards, instead of just saying he does. If you've already passed this point, you can talk to him again and have him "remind" you where they are.
• Fixed a crash which could occur if you entered a zone with your primary weapon slot completely empty, but with something in your offhand
• Summoned skeletons are no longer briefly invisible when first summoned
• Murdering certain quest givers with "crazy mode" will no longer trigger a crash after re-entering that zone

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Playing Dragon Quest VIII and the load times seem fine to me. The only long load time is in the very beginning when the game first loads up, but the rest of the time I'm not experiencing long load times.

Framerate is decent. I detect a slight drop in frame, but it's not really that noticeable.

And I like the portrait one-hand gameplay actually. In terms of interface I think they nailed it.

Never really listen to voice acting as I always read faster than the voices, so that doesn't bother me.

Overall, I'm quite enjoying it.

Now bring on DQV!

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Which device are you playing on?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/29/ea-shuts-down-mythic-entertainment/

Mythic made the F2P Dungeon Keeper game, guess it didn't meet expectations. Not sure what to think, obviously the game was a F2P garbage cashgrab which just used the name for marketing, so it's good to see that it failed, but at the same time it sucks that people lost their jobs and I'm sure the suits who came up with the game are still fine.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Shwqa posted:

Haha 3 entralls. Steals cards all day erry day.

I just lost a game with 4 of them on the second floor due to literally no healing other than like 3 or 4 health packs. :argh: But I managed to get the Phoenix just about dead (presumably for the first out of however many times) despite starting the fight with 3 health.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Original_Z posted:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/05/29/ea-shuts-down-mythic-entertainment/

Mythic made the F2P Dungeon Keeper game, guess it didn't meet expectations. Not sure what to think, obviously the game was a F2P garbage cashgrab which just used the name for marketing, so it's good to see that it failed, but at the same time it sucks that people lost their jobs and I'm sure the suits who came up with the game are still fine.
No because they're at Mythic as well and probably got laid off too.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Jibo posted:

I just lost a game with 4 of them on the second floor due to literally no healing other than like 3 or 4 health packs. :argh: But I managed to get the Phoenix just about dead (presumably for the first out of however many times) despite starting the fight with 3 health.

The Phoenix's gimmick is brutal. If you kill it becomes an egg with a small countdown. If you don't kill the egg by the countdown then it gets reborn at full health.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Just a short review on DQ8 (5 hours in; iPhone 5S):

Game works a lot better than I imagined it would. I was pretty skeptical and I do not tend to buy full games because I can't stand touch controls. Auto run (where you only control the camera) really stands out here and I hardly ever use the actual analog controls. Battles can be set up tactically making them move fast as you grind your way to success. There is noticeable slowdown in frames but nothing that interferes with my enjoyment.

If you're on the fence, especially considering the controls, do note that this game works a lot better than you might think. I would avoid playing this on iPad however. One handed play seems easier than holding a mini or an iPad Air.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
So yeah, as cool as it is to sample a variety with the Professor in Dream Quest, you can really do some damage if you just farm off of the first boss or the Wraiths or whatever it is that has Soul Crush by using the retreat talent.

6 Shark Bites plus 5 Attack 2s and 4 Soul Crushes just pushed me a good part of the way through the third floor.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

OMGzKakaniz posted:

Just a short review on DQ8 (5 hours in; iPhone 5S):

Game works a lot better than I imagined it would. I was pretty skeptical and I do not tend to buy full games because I can't stand touch controls. Auto run (where you only control the camera) really stands out here and I hardly ever use the actual analog controls. Battles can be set up tactically making them move fast as you grind your way to success. There is noticeable slowdown in frames but nothing that interferes with my enjoyment.

If you're on the fence, especially considering the controls, do note that this game works a lot better than you might think. I would avoid playing this on iPad however. One handed play seems easier than holding a mini or an iPad Air.

Thanks for the write up. I don't use an iPhone so I might give it a miss :(

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Digital Jesus posted:

Thanks for the write up. I don't use an iPhone so I might give it a miss :(

It's on Android too, if anyone else was leaning that way! (I have an iPad and Android phone, myself, and will probably get it on my phone because of the control scheme.)

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

goferchan posted:

...in Wayward Souls (which is far more linear) the difficult bits feel like much more of a wall. Power through or die trying.

On the one hand, Wayward Souls is one of those super-satisfying games where you can go from being stonewalled by something difficult to absolutely breezing through it, simply by getting more familiar with enemy patterns and picking up new approaches to difficult fights. I struggled to beat the first dungeon with the Mage and assumed that I'd never make any further progress with her. Then I played a whole bunch with the other characters, then came back and beat the Keep with her in two or three tries simply because I was so much more familiar with the challenges.

On the other, I've been bashing my head against the third and (currently) final dungeon for a while now, and I don't feel like I'm making any real progress. It feels too easy to end up in a situation where you have to take a hit (or spend a shield charge). It's too easy to get caught by a teleport-in-and-charge-you assassin while you're trying to weave your way towards a mass of fireball-spewing enemies, or to trip a mine (which are completely transparent at a distance, and are still black-on-black when you get close), or to simply be just a tiny bit off with your attack timing and take a quick swipe. It's starting to feel less "Dark Souls difficult" and more "these guys are cheating assholes". I know it's possible, but it's frustrating to choke on such a massive difficulty spike. It's not an objective fault, but personally I would enjoy the game if the third dungeon was just somewhat easier, at least early on. Making the third dungeon more generous with gold would also help.

It's still a fantastic game, and easily worth $5.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

opaopa13 posted:

On the one hand, Wayward Souls is one of those super-satisfying games where you can go from being stonewalled by something difficult to absolutely breezing through it, simply by getting more familiar with enemy patterns and picking up new approaches to difficult fights. I struggled to beat the first dungeon with the Mage and assumed that I'd never make any further progress with her. Then I played a whole bunch with the other characters, then came back and beat the Keep with her in two or three tries simply because I was so much more familiar with the challenges.

On the other, I've been bashing my head against the third and (currently) final dungeon for a while now, and I don't feel like I'm making any real progress. It feels too easy to end up in a situation where you have to take a hit (or spend a shield charge). It's too easy to get caught by a teleport-in-and-charge-you assassin while you're trying to weave your way towards a mass of fireball-spewing enemies, or to trip a mine (which are completely transparent at a distance, and are still black-on-black when you get close), or to simply be just a tiny bit off with your attack timing and take a quick swipe. It's starting to feel less "Dark Souls difficult" and more "these guys are cheating assholes". I know it's possible, but it's frustrating to choke on such a massive difficulty spike. It's not an objective fault, but personally I would enjoy the game if the third dungeon was just somewhat easier, at least early on. Making the third dungeon more generous with gold would also help.

It's still a fantastic game, and easily worth $5.

I have been struggling to get past floor 2 of the catacombs as the spellsword. Some of the enemies I can consistently deal with but the guys that hop around always seem to get a swipe in. Pretty frustrating to keep losing and only get 30 gold when I need 4k for an upgrade.

Still really awesome game with the setting and music.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Okay professor is just too much fun. I call this the gimme all my cards and you have no cards deck. (ignore the Blight and Coup de Grace though, those were last minute pickups after the final boss to try to challenge the lord of dreams)

Jibo posted:

I had a deck with 5 enthralls and I think I timed out to a banshee on the second floor, it just wasn't very useful having more than one enthrall per turn.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 30, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Okay professor is just too much fun. I call this the gimme all my cards and you have no cards deck.

I had a deck with 5 enthralls and I think I timed out to a banshee, it just isn't very useful having more than one per turn.

Oh the beckon and three wish combo is fun. Exile 2 of their cards and make them draw less cards for the rest the match.

Edit: my favorite pro(fessor) strat is to steal circle from rogues and pounce from cat people. Circle draws two cards and deals 1 damage for free. Pounce draws 3 cards for 1 action point but then exiles itself.

2-3 of each of those and some boots of speed then you got all card draw you need. Then fill you deck with some damage cards and prey you don't fight the kraken.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 30, 2014

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

BH:L is a really great game, but I can't enter the Colosseum or any of the Chaos Towers without crashing, so I'm pretty much stuck now until they patch.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Shwqa posted:

Edit: my favorite pro(fessor) strat is to steal circle from rogues and pounce from cat people. Circle draws two cards and deals 1 damage for free. Pounce draws 3 cards for 1 action point but then exiles itself.

You are thinking of something else, Circle draws a card, gives you +1 action point, and gives you another +1 action at the end of your turn (for your next turn). Maybe you're thinking of Rallying Stroke? It draws two cards and does two damage for free since it's an Attack card, but I don't think any monster carries it; I brought mine and then used a clone to copy it.

Shwqa posted:

2-3 of each of those and some boots of speed then you got all card draw you need. Then fill you deck with some damage cards and prey you don't fight the kraken.

With that deck my second floor boss was the kraken and third floor boss was the hydra. They died :mrapig:

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 30, 2014

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The best card in all of dream quest is puppet master from the hand things. I stole 4 of them and just watched dudes kill themselves.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

You are thinking of something else, Circle draws a card, gives you +1 action point, and gives you another +1 action at the end of your turn (for your next turn). Maybe you're thinking of Rallying Stroke? It draws two cards and does two damage for free since it's an Attack card, but I don't think any monster carries it; I brought mine and then used a clone to copy it.

With that deck my second floor boss was the kraken and third floor boss was the hydra. They died :mrapig:
I'm pretty sure circle give you an extra card on your next turn as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I'm really stuck on deciding between two different skills in BH:L. I'm a thief/Ninja (with a bard's charm and paladin's dmg-heal), but I can't decide between Paralytic Knife (paralyzes enemy for 6sec, 20sec CD) with Coup De Grace Passive (up dmg 20% on stunned/knocked down enemies) or Poisoned Knife (continuous dmg over 10 sec, 6 sec CD) with Twist the Blade (+10% dmg on any enemy being affected by damage-over-time)

• Locked thread