Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

nachos posted:

The soundtrack was merely ok in game, but the OST sounds so much better on its own now that I've beaten the game. Maybe it was sword man's voice distracting me.

That's a big piece of it. I think Bastion did a better job giving you time to enjoy the soundtrack, but Transistor's soundtrack is actually pretty spectacular. In particular I have listened to "We All Become" and "Paper Boats" a ton today.

I have to say for all its faults no game has engrossed me like Transistor since playing through Gone Home on a rainy, lonely night last Autumn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Speaking of Bastion's soundtrack, it's on sale on Steam right now for $1.45 if you have the base game.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Is it possible to not play recursion mode? My brother beat this before I got the chance to play it but there doesn't seem to be an option for a new game. Real lovely design oversight if that's the case.

Bro Dad fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 28, 2014

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bro Dad posted:

Is it possible to not play recursion mode? My brother beat this before I got the chance to play it but there doesn't seem to be an option for a new game. Real lovely design oversight if that's the case.

Stolen from the web:

quote:

While in game, press Esc to open the menu and click Settings -> Profiles. Select your profile, and press the left button RESET PROGRESS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Could he just make a new profile from there?

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

rhinohelix posted:

Stolen from the web:

And it worked. Thanks guys :)

rhinohelix
Aug 19, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rosalind posted:

That's a big piece of it. I think Bastion did a better job giving you time to enjoy the soundtrack, but Transistor's soundtrack is actually pretty spectacular. In particular I have listened to "We All Become" and "Paper Boats" a ton today.

I have to say for all its faults no game has engrossed me like Transistor since playing through Gone Home on a rainy, lonely night last Autumn.

It wouldn't take much for this to be reshaped into a regular album, rather than an OST. The Spine, Paper Boats, and We All Become, although completely part and parcel of it, transcend the game.

I think the sudden start to the game works from a certain perspective but really doesn't serve the overall game well. While if you press on and play the game through and then Recursive, its really sublime. There is a big chance of putting people off, though, who never get a grasp of the combat system, or understand the story, or even stick around to see some of the nuance that makes this game shine. Such a great experience.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Something I was thinking about last night is the way that characters' identities are sort of overlapped via their clothing (Red and Breach are the most obvious of course), which is a direct parallel to the way Traces overlap when designing your Functions. Personal expression being such a huge theme in the game (regardless of what you think is being said about the issue) backs this up.

For example, at the start of the game one of the very first things you can check out is Red's torn and now-discarded gown from the concert. Leaving that behind is reminiscent of losing her voice. In the memory scene when you return to that moment, Red can only move very slowly because she's still wearing it. Once she finds Breach her priorities completely change, and she reshapes herself to reflect that. Similarly she picks up Breach's jacket and wears it throughout the game, only taking it off in those painted 'cutscenes'. Someone mentioned earlier how intimate those are, really driving home the lost relationship. He's doing what he can to protect the person he loves, and she's wearing that mantle in a literal sense. Red's design for the player is thus a fusion of what's left of her and left of Breach on a mission together.

On the one hand I wish there were more passive visual effects when you had different Functions equipped. On the other hand, those people are gone except for what the Transistor stored from them, which is what you can see when actually attacking; they aren't part of her life the same way Breach was/is. They only inform how she can do things, not who she is.

ArchetypeBlue
Jul 9, 2012

ASSHOLE.

Rosalind posted:

I'm gonna echo this post whole-heartedly. I love Transistor's soundtrack. "Paper Boats" is probably my favourite, but all the vocal tracks are really fantastic.

And while the ending didn't sit right with me at first, I've come to like it better now.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Wow, I blasted through most of the achievements during my second play through last night. 1024 and 2048 were super easy, since Void+Void+Void+Cull will absolutely wreck enemies. The limiter restrictions (5 and 10) were a bit harder, just like the idols in Bastion. Seems I still have to play further in to unlock the final Performance and Agency doors.

During this play through, I was also confused as to why I was unlocking basic skills again, and then :aaaaa:

Couldn't be happier with this game.

Edit: Also, pressing A during the motorcycle cutscene kicks in the boost.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 29, 2014

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Also you can use A to do :krad: wave jumps when you're riding the boat thing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

If you're on PC, pressing Mouse1 does the same thing. Little neat details!

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if the hand-painted still shots (Red looking at her poster, eating the pizza, etc.) are available for download anywhere? Or if I could pull them from the game files or something? I think they might make cool computer backgrounds.

trigger9631 fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 29, 2014

Sleenmaster
Jul 15, 2003

Like all girls I love unicorns!
Tap(Load(),Void()) is the best attack I've found in this game. HUGE AOE, massive damage, heals, and cheap enough to hit 3 times in one turn.

Jaunt(Spark(),Purge()) is the probably the best cooldown power. You get to dodge around while spamming an unreasonable amount of seeking parasites.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

trigger9631 posted:

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does anyone know if the hand-painted still shots (Red looking at her poster, eating the pizza, etc.) are available for download anywhere? Or if I could pull them from the game files or something? I think they might make cool computer backgrounds.

Not that I've seen, unfortunately.

There are some neat wallpapers on the Supergiant site.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

trigger9631 posted:

I'm using one now, I took a screenshot. I've been taking others as well, but I didn't start until near the end of my first playthrough and I'm not far in recursion. Is there one in particular you're looking for?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I forget if anyone answered this earlier, but does the flourish you can do with the transistor actually do anything, or is it just cosmetic fluff for an unused button?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
The first boss fight song is stuck in my head and this game is so beautiful, I loving love this game, I got goosebumps just playing this game.

That count as a review?

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Nighthand posted:

I'm using one now, I took a screenshot. I've been taking others as well, but I didn't start until near the end of my first playthrough and I'm not far in recursion. Is there one in particular you're looking for?

I'd honestly like to drop all of them into my daily wallpaper rotation because I like the art so much in this game, but the one I'm looking for most is (ending spoilers) Red and Victor embracing in the Country. Just taking screenshots is a good idea though, I might do that in my Recursion run.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

trigger9631 posted:

I'd honestly like to drop all of them into my daily wallpaper rotation because I like the art so much in this game, but the one I'm looking for most is (ending spoilers) Red and Victor embracing in the Country. Just taking screenshots is a good idea though, I might do that in my Recursion run.

I definitely recommend screenshots. Steam's default for taking them is F12, which puts them in a folder and when you're done with your play session opens up to show you so you can upload or whatever.

For your spoiler ending picture, try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5sw54k3vl60hal/2014-05-27_00018.jpg

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nighthand posted:

I definitely recommend screenshots. Steam's default for taking them is F12, which puts them in a folder and when you're done with your play session opens up to show you so you can upload or whatever.

For your spoiler ending picture, try this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f5sw54k3vl60hal/2014-05-27_00018.jpg

Also be sure to turn on the option that saves a full resolution copy to a different folder. The ones uploaded to Steam are compressed to hell.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Supergiant retweeted my Red mod for Dark Souls 2! :swoon: Now I'm obligated to keep it updated!

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

You're now an internet superstar. And you thought kawaii max payne would take you to the top.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Oh my god, this game is amazing. Like there is literally nothing bad about it except the lovely function equip screen. I think this is the first game I've played with a really touching story that was fun and difficult but fair.

Guess I should actually check out Bastion now.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

My one gripe with the game is that, way at the start, you have an instance where a road is blocked and you have two buttons to mash to open it, and you have to use Turn() to do it. Then you never have to use Turn() outside of combat again. It seems like a bit of puzzling with Turn()-based shenanigans for progress could have been interesting, but it all just ends up being "beat these guys to open door."

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Stele007 posted:

Oh my god, this game is amazing. Like there is literally nothing bad about it except the lovely function equip screen. I think this is the first game I've played with a really touching story that was fun and difficult but fair.

Guess I should actually check out Bastion now.

You can drag functions into your bar at the bottom instead of installing them one-by-one.

It took me until literally the end of the game to notice this.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Nighthand posted:

My one gripe with the game is that, way at the start, you have an instance where a road is blocked and you have two buttons to mash to open it, and you have to use Turn() to do it. Then you never have to use Turn() outside of combat again. It seems like a bit of puzzling with Turn()-based shenanigans for progress could have been interesting, but it all just ends up being "beat these guys to open door."

I get the impression that the first 30 minutes of actual gameplay were probably the earliest done and that there were meant to be more Turn() puzzles, but I assume they probably weren't all that engaging because there's not a lot of variation you can do with the idea. I'm trying to think of potential ways to use the mechanic out-of-combat beyond "press all the buttons at once" and "press several buttons fast in a particular order" but I'm drawing a blank.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Androc posted:

You can drag functions into your bar at the bottom instead of installing them one-by-one.

Holy poo poo.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Androc posted:

I did this most of the time, but then it's a pain to look up the exact damage numbers for abilities and upgrades. You can get a vague description for everything in the info screens, but to get the numbers you need to unequip something then re-equip it using the clunky interface.

Nighthand posted:

They might have left that bit in as a way to teach the fact that "Turn() executes basically instantly".

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Androc posted:

Yeah, I didn't realize this until later on. But you still can't see exactly what the function will do unless you use the clunky interface at the top.

trigger9631
Nov 18, 2004

I love my ducks.

Nighthand posted:

Thank you for this! I've already dropped it into my wallpapers folder, it looks so great. If I end up taking screens of the rest in my Recursion run I'll share the pics with the thread.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Rosalind posted:

I get the impression that the first 30 minutes of actual gameplay were probably the earliest done and that there were meant to be more Turn() puzzles, but I assume they probably weren't all that engaging because there's not a lot of variation you can do with the idea. I'm trying to think of potential ways to use the mechanic out-of-combat beyond "press all the buttons at once" and "press several buttons fast in a particular order" but I'm drawing a blank.

Ditocoaf posted:

They might have left that bit in as a way to teach the fact that "Turn() executes basically instantly".

That's possible.

I could see a few other puzzles, possibly involving doors that only stay open for a split second, or opening hatches to ping cells, or things like that. In any case, it's not a big gripe, just a little thing that bugged me. I still consider the game to be fantastic.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah, my primary gripe with this game is just that when you hover your mouse over one of your moves, you don't get a useful tooltip with what exactly using that skill will do. It's particularly bad in the challenges when you get allocated some combination of abilities and you have to recognise the tiny modifiers and remember or go look up what they do. Or you get a challenge with skills you haven't acquired yet normally...

SpaceCommie
Oct 2, 2008

I'm escaping to the one place that hasn't been corrupted by Capitalism ...

SPACE!

Nighthand posted:

I think you'd get problems with people overloading or not equipping necessary functions if they put in more. Which would require lots of additional access points and possibly mess with the game's flow.

I think as said above it's probably there to show everything in Turn() happens almost simultaneously.

Javaman98
Jul 15, 2002

ask me about strobing in LoL

SpaceCommie posted:

I think you'd get problems with people overloading or not equipping necessary functions if they put in more. Which would require lots of additional access points and possibly mess with the game's flow.

I think as said above it's probably there to show everything in Turn() happens almost simultaneously.

I think they could have done something with turn puzzles / function attacks. You could have switches behind walls you penetrate for, several switches you might have to hit with bounce and things like that.

Now granted maybe they tried it, and in the end it was more hassle then it's worth. I mean the function assigning interface is GARBAGE it gets worse once you get duplicate functions trying to un-assign the right one is annoying as hell. So constantly going in and out to change stuff might just be overkill.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Heck, a puzzle mode instead of that random adaptation wave survival door could have been cool.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

How many people used a controller and how many used mouse+keyboard? I used a controller the whole time and had zero problems navigating the function assignment interface, is it finicky with m+kb or something?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Chard posted:

How many people used a controller and how many used mouse+keyboard? I used a controller the whole time and had zero problems navigating the function assignment interface, is it finicky with m+kb or something?

I used a controller, what killed me was having to add and remove every function one-by-one, mucking up my upgrades if I accidentally remove a primary function, and still not being able to see the descriptions/numbers for what I was doing unless I removed and re-added the functions. It seems to me like you'd have those problems no matter what you were using.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Chard posted:

It's mostly that the only way to get to the screen with actual detailed information- you know, the one you'd want to be looking at 99% of the time you're swapping functions around- is to select an individual function and assign it, and once you do, you can't fiddle with any other functions. You have to go back to the grid and choose another one to mess with. It's just really inefficient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I guess... I mean I don't disagree, it just never seemed like a problem. It's literally one button press to back out and then select a new power (same thing to de-equip and reselect), a weapon-wheel or whatever would be about the same number of inputs. plus the game lists the secondary and passive effects on the select screen so you can get a pretty good idea of what a combination is going to do ahead of time.

It just seems like a strange gripe to me I suppose? Different strokes.

• Locked thread