Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

SeaborneClink posted:

Sprint codes their SIM cards off the MEID, there's no personal information on there other than anything you put on there, i.e. contacts, but you'd have to go out of your way to save them there. They are on your Google account right? :ohdear:

Oh yeah, I believe so. Any way to pop the sim back in and clear it manually? Just to be sure, I already did the factory reset on the device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pop the sim in the microwave to clear it real good.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

FAUXTON posted:

Pop the sim in the microwave to clear it real good.

That's how I charged up the phone, making sure the buyer gets a good full charge.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Holy crap I have LTE at home now and it's almost as good as other carrier's 3G was a few years ago. :smuggo:

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
There is no info on your sprint sim card unless you manually went into your contact list and clicked export to sim other wise there is no info on your sim it is only used to give your device access to 4g data.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

Jliznel posted:

There is no info on your sprint sim card unless you manually went into your contact list and clicked export to sim other wise there is no info on your sim it is only used to give your device access to 4g data.

Thank you, corrected my swappa sale accordingly.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

pass the butter posted:

Thank you, corrected my swappa sale accordingly.

Your very welcome buddy

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

I would just like to inform the thread that am departing my current job with Sprint as of June 1st. I intend to continue providing support to this thread to the best of my abilities. If you have anything that I can aid you with in the next couple of days, please let me know.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I have an older plan, the everything data 450 plan. Costs me about $60 a month for unlimited data on a smartphone. I want to add my gf. Is it better to switch to the framily plan? Or stay on my old plan? How do I stay on my old plan?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

The Bananana posted:

I have an older plan, the everything data 450 plan. Costs me about $60 a month for unlimited data on a smartphone. I want to add my gf. Is it better to switch to the framily plan? Or stay on my old plan? How do I stay on my old plan?

Unlimited data is a $20 a month addon for the Framily plan. If you get in a full framily, that works out to be cheaper, but otherwise I'd try to stick with what you've got.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

The Bananana posted:

Are you getting an employment discount? Because the the everything data 450 was 69.99 plus 10 for the data attachment. If your getting an employment discount bringing it down to that I would say keep that play otherwise on framily by yourself your looking 75 (55 for unlimited talk and text + 20 for unlimited data) with unlimited data which would save you 5 bucks then would get 5 bucks cheaper with every person you get added to your "framily plan"

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
I'm on Sprint on a Galaxy Nexus in the San Francisco East Bay Area and about to jump ship, my last hope is that a new device will get me better reception. Will a fancy new tri-band device actually get me better connectivity or is it really just up to the towers themselves?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm on Sprint on a Galaxy Nexus in the San Francisco East Bay Area and about to jump ship, my last hope is that a new device will get me better reception. Will a fancy new tri-band device actually get me better connectivity or is it really just up to the towers themselves?

When I have LTE it is great! The parts of town (I'm nowhere near you, BTW) with band 26 active are fast.

I just get LTE in fewer areas than before. :(

But it works indoors now, so it's been a pretty OK trade-off for me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I dont understand the thread title. Driving a powerful rwd car on dirt is one of the more fun things you can do.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Cage posted:

I dont understand the thread title. Driving a powerful rwd car on dirt is one of the more fun things you can do.

OK now imagine that the dirt road is completely unmaintained and poorly designed, so it's full of roots and is uneven and eternally twisting and turning so that you can't ever get up to speed.

That's what it's like for some people. Not me though, thankfully.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I would get mud tires. That would be a badass ferrari.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

yellowjournalism posted:

Its very possible it will help you. If its an issue mainly at your house you could inquire about an airave its a mini tower system that will boost everyone on your account while in your house.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

Cage posted:

I agree, that would be bad rear end

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

yellowjournalism posted:

800MHz voice service is like 90% deployed around the East Bay, so your call reception will be a lot better. Especially because the Galaxy Nexus wasn't known for getting good reception. As for data, the 800MHz LTE rollout is just getting started, so don't count on that for another year or two probably. But a lot of towers will have nice fiber hookups for regular 1900MHz 3G & LTE, so you can expect less congestion and better speeds overall.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

My parents have had Sprint for years, but switched to a framily plan and didn't realize that they wouldn't be getting upgrade pricing on phones anymore.

What's the best way to get a new phone (iPhone 5s preferably)? Does the $20/month unlimited data/upgrade every year option do anything? Is it better to just get a phone on swappa/ebay/craigslist?

On a related note, will a Verizon iPhone 5 (MD654LL/A) work on Sprint LTE? The internet seems to say maybe.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jliznel posted:

I agree, that would be bad rear end

That AWD Ferrari that was on Top Gear wasn't bad In the snow.

Nor was that new AWD Bentley as a Rally car on a dirt course.

Sadly here, your vehicle can't do much to improve the location it is driven in because they all come with Super High Performance Summer Only Tires... And some of the locations are in dead muddy winter.

I only have a small shred of hope that June 18 is somehow significant for my area...

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
FYI - there's open enrollment on TEP this month if you want to add insurance to one of your lines.

pragan4 posted:

My parents have had Sprint for years, but switched to a framily plan and didn't realize that they wouldn't be getting upgrade pricing on phones anymore.

What's the best way to get a new phone (iPhone 5s preferably)? Does the $20/month unlimited data/upgrade every year option do anything? Is it better to just get a phone on swappa/ebay/craigslist?

On a related note, will a Verizon iPhone 5 (MD654LL/A) work on Sprint LTE? The internet seems to say maybe.
With the Framily plan, if you want a new phone from Sprint, you use Easy Pay which is generally $0 down and $X/month. The yearly upgrade gives you the ability to upgrade after 12 months instead of waiting until the whole thing is paid off in 24 months but you'll have to trade the phone in to do it. If you buy a phone outright from Sprint or somewhere else, the $20/month addon just gives you unlimited data and none of this applies.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to use a Verizon iPhone because the ESN won't be in Sprint's database. I'm not 100% sure on that though, so hopefully someone can chime in with confirmation.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

datajosh posted:

FYI - there's open enrollment on TEP this month if you want to add insurance to one of your lines.

With the Framily plan, if you want a new phone from Sprint, you use Easy Pay which is generally $0 down and $X/month. The yearly upgrade gives you the ability to upgrade after 12 months instead of waiting until the whole thing is paid off in 24 months but you'll have to trade the phone in to do it. If you buy a phone outright from Sprint or somewhere else, the $20/month addon just gives you unlimited data and none of this applies.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to use a Verizon iPhone because the ESN won't be in Sprint's database. I'm not 100% sure on that though, so hopefully someone can chime in with confirmation.

You are correct its not in the data base so it wont be able to. He can call up and try to have them add it (did it once) but unless the antenna's are working on the frequency of sprints towers it will not work. So if you do it you may get 3g service but no LTE and vice versa, and/or both.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

td4guy posted:

800MHz voice service is like 90% deployed around the East Bay, so your call reception will be a lot better. Especially because the Galaxy Nexus wasn't known for getting good reception. As for data, the 800MHz LTE rollout is just getting started, so don't count on that for another year or two probably. But a lot of towers will have nice fiber hookups for regular 1900MHz 3G & LTE, so you can expect less congestion and better speeds overall.

Thanks guys, I think I will just wait for the S5 Prime and try that out before bailing. It's not just my house-- I get amazing reception in certain random areas scattered all over the bay and then pretty much total poo poo everywhere else. I really loving hate my Galaxy Nexus right now so I'm real glad to hear it had a bad rep and I'm not just crazy.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

yellowjournalism posted:

Thanks guys, I think I will just wait for the S5 Prime and try that out before bailing. It's not just my house-- I get amazing reception in certain random areas scattered all over the bay and then pretty much total poo poo everywhere else. I really loving hate my Galaxy Nexus right now so I'm real glad to hear it had a bad rep and I'm not just crazy.
You should also consider the HTC One M8 over the potential S5 Prime. I've used Samsung phones almost the entire time I've been an Android user (4 out of 5 have been Samsungs) but I tried out the M8 for the first time this past weekend and holy poo poo, that is a nice phone. The build quality is amazing and if you ever use your phone for watching/listening to anything without headphones, the front facing speakers are just awesome. I also like the way Sense looks over TouchWiz and if you're coming from stock Android on the GNex, my feeling is that you probably would too.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

datajosh posted:

You should also consider the HTC One M8 over the potential S5 Prime. I've used Samsung phones almost the entire time I've been an Android user (4 out of 5 have been Samsungs) but I tried out the M8 for the first time this past weekend and holy poo poo, that is a nice phone. The build quality is amazing and if you ever use your phone for watching/listening to anything without headphones, the front facing speakers are just awesome. I also like the way Sense looks over TouchWiz and if you're coming from stock Android on the GNex, my feeling is that you probably would too.

I'm torn-- I do feel like I might like the M8 more (I want reliability/simplicity and hate "features"), but a waterproof phone would change the game for me. Dammit... development the M8 Prime just got suspended.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cage posted:

The problem is that in some areas, that "dirt road" is basically a King Of Hammers course.

My travels through Indianapolis and Kansas City? I hardly ever turned wifi on because the LTE was everywhere and it was loving fast (so, probably about everyone else's 3G - I've been on Sprint since SERO).

Back home in Phoenix? I can barely make calls from inside my house, and the LTE is already so heavily overloaded that it's back down to where Sprint's 3G was before they even added 4G here.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

yellowjournalism posted:

I'm torn-- I do feel like I might like the M8 more (I want reliability/simplicity and hate "features"), but a waterproof phone would change the game for me. Dammit... development the M8 Prime just got suspended.
Yeah, that was the only reason my wife was leaning towards the S5 for her next phone but now she wants the M8 too. For me, personally, it's not a dealbreaker, more of a feature that would just be nice to have.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

yellowjournalism posted:

Just please remember its water resistant not water proof. It will take splashes and quick submerging (less then 10 seconds) you don't want to go swimming with it. Both are great devices I know people with both. Both are more then pleased with their phones. If you go m8 go harmon kardon edition and take advantage of that 100 blue tooth onyx speaker. I have that speaker and its amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jliznel posted:

Just please remember its water resistant not water proof. It will take splashes and quick submerging (less then 10 seconds) you don't want to go swimming with it

It's still a lot better than having to be careful if its so much as sprinkling rain.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
There was one Russian review I saw when it first came out where the reviewer submerged it in some really nasty looking water and left it there for an hour or so. He called it every once in a while and it seemed to work just fine.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's still a lot better than having to be careful if its so much as sprinkling rain.

I agree 100% with you. Just working for sprint as a tech a lot of people make that mistake :-)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One step closer to a possible T-Mobile merger.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

One step closer to robots selling cellphones in the Sprint store.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014

td4guy posted:

One step closer to robots selling cellphones in the Sprint store.

looks like I'll be replaced by a robot soon.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Jliznel posted:

Just please remember its water resistant not water proof. It will take splashes and quick submerging (less then 10 seconds) you don't want to go swimming with it. Both are great devices I know people with both. Both are more then pleased with their phones. If you go m8 go harmon kardon edition and take advantage of that 100 blue tooth onyx speaker. I have that speaker and its amazing.

Yeah sorry I lazily use "waterproof" as shorthand for IP55 and "water resistant" for IP67 which is what the S5 is. I was also under the impression that the S5 prime was going to be IP55 or at least somehow more resistant than the S5 but now I can't find any info saying so... But for the record IP67 can take 1 meter submersion for 30+ minutes and certain amounts of spraying. Also the M8 has no rating but has survived over an hour submerged so it's actually not 10 seconds bad.

Jliznel
May 25, 2014
learn something new everyday :-) I'm just going by what the company rep told me, to inform the customers of.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

The problem is that in some areas, that "dirt road" is basically a King Of Hammers course.

My travels through Indianapolis and Kansas City? I hardly ever turned wifi on because the LTE was everywhere and it was loving fast (so, probably about everyone else's 3G - I've been on Sprint since SERO).

Back home in Phoenix? I can barely make calls from inside my house, and the LTE is already so heavily overloaded that it's back down to where Sprint's 3G was before they even added 4G here.

Sprint customer in Indianapolis and I can confirm the LTE is awesome here. I have never understood all of the bitching that is done about Sprint because my experience with them here has been great, and my bill is $60 for unlimited data.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lord Of Texas posted:

Sprint customer in Indianapolis and I can confirm the LTE is awesome here. I have never understood all of the bitching that is done about Sprint because my experience with them here has been great, and my bill is $60 for unlimited data.

Because this is what it looks like in Denver, if it works at all.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/869268630

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Oh Sprint. I haven't had an active number with them for a couple of years now. A week or so ago I got a random robocall from them saying something about a refund being processed and ignored it assuming it was some kind of scam. Today I get a check in the mail from them for $300, my web portal access is still working with them and the current bill shows a weird series of refunds and transfers over the last month or so. Sprint customer support thinks somebody on their side credited my account by mistake, tried to fix it, and everything fell apart. Presumably one of their current customers is $300 in the hole.