Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cyberventurer posted:

To be honest, I entirely forgot why my character was even going through all of those places after a while. It wasn't until I started NG+ did I go "oooooh yeah, the herald actually mentions King Vendrick". Before that, I completely forgot his name.

Given that I played most of it fully hollow, I think I'll blame it on that. :v:

Is there actually any in-game stuff that links the Rotten is Pharros, though? I missed that.

There being a ton of poison statues down there which may be creations of Pharros (they seem like something he'd make and there's a bunch of inactive ones in the Doors of Pharros). You also get a Pharros Lockstone if you cut off the Rotten's arm. The theory goes he was experimented on by Aldia (you can see a Butcher's Knife in Aldia's Keep), thrown away into the Gutter, and made his way down to the Gulch. He was warped but kept trying to make poo poo; the weird vaguely facelike thing by the first bonfire is one of his doors, and you see the Rotten trying to make one of the poison statues in his cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Iretep posted:

I use people who use blue cop ring to farm my bloodbro rank so it might not be the best option for one sided gank fights. (Everyone should use the blue cop ring, PLEASE.)

You aren't invading the right guys! :mad:
Last time on my Sentinel character it was taking so long for the ring to find someone that I resorted to using Blue Eye Orbs.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm absolutely shocked at how much choice I have in this game. Do I die to Ornstein? Do I die to the room of 5000 loving rats? Do I get hosed in the Bastille? This game is my poo poo so hard. A new area being at the bottom of that well in the main hub where you need to buy the Silvercat Ring to survive the fall is a excellent way to gate the area by making the fee to enter a 13400 soul purchase. The Tower of Flame is challenging and the constant loss of HP during hollowifcation only adds to the challenge. The bosses I've encountered so far have also been excellent. The Last Giant was a neat fight and finding Dragonrider just sitting there was a real challenge after the gauntlet of those Knights. Having the Flask only have 1 use initially was an incredibly cruel decision, even though this is augmented by Lifegems and the expansions. Having 4 ring slots is amazing and the early available rings are very practical (hp regen/drain rings so that blocking hits with a 80% physical block shield is sustainable is a fantastic touch) and every inch of the game feels like Castlevania where the enemies are placed very precisely to maximize the challenge. Having to deal with multiple enemies while on narrow pathways, those massive 4 legged fucks that are in the No Man's Wharf that bleed you in 2 hits, the weird passive aggressive stone knights that won't attack you until you attack them. This game is a treat and struggling to advance despite beating the first Dark Souls is a testament to their game design that it really makes me question everything and take nothing for granted. I died a lot to chest traps that are randomized, I've become paranoid about cramped passageways and a sudden pocket or 4-way. I've been rewarded for exploration pretty much every time, and there is an excellent puzzle element to fights. I especially liked the gunpowder surrounding the giant mace enemy in the Cardinal Tower, who's fighting grounds were overlooked by several firebomb throwing skeletons. The game rewarded me succinctly for not trying to just bash my head against the obstacle by offering me the opportunity to take out the skeletons before hand, as well as rolling into all the gunpowder barrels so it couldn't be used as a weapon against me. Game is awesome, setpieces are awesome.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Is there actually any in-game stuff that links the Rotten is Pharros, though? I missed that.

Nothing that directly states it, but there's a lot of little things that add up so as far as fan theories go I consider it a pretty valid one. The main thing is the Rotten drops a lockstone, which is a really specific item. The Rotten carrying one implies something, and him being Pharos is the most logical conclusion. Then when you examine some other things, like Pharos hanging out with the rats and having a penchant for helping the poor and needy, you realize that he was the one that probably built the Gutter in the first place. And well, you could probably see how that ended poorly for him given the state of that place.

I'm sure some theories differ but I don't think Pharos was invovled with Aldia at all. He just tried to make the Gutter as another sanctuary for the outcasts of society, like he did with the Grym at Doors of Pharos. Then he somehow came across a fragment of Nito's soul, and that's when poo poo started to go downhill fast and he created the ramshackle poison hell hole we all know and love.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NTT posted:

I'm absolutely shocked at how much choice I have in this game. Do I die to Ornstein? Do I die to the room of 5000 loving rats? Do I get hosed in the Bastille? This game is my poo poo so hard. A new area being at the bottom of that well in the main hub where you need to buy the Silvercat Ring to survive the fall is a excellent way to gate the area by making the fee to enter a 13400 soul purchase. The Tower of Flame is challenging and the constant loss of HP during hollowifcation only adds to the challenge. The bosses I've encountered so far have also been excellent. The Last Giant was a neat fight and finding Dragonrider just sitting there was a real challenge after the gauntlet of those Knights. Having the Flask only have 1 use initially was an incredibly cruel decision, even though this is augmented by Lifegems and the expansions. Having 4 ring slots is amazing and the early available rings are very practical (hp regen/drain rings so that blocking hits with a 80% physical block shield is sustainable is a fantastic touch) and every inch of the game feels like Castlevania where the enemies are placed very precisely to maximize the challenge. Having to deal with multiple enemies while on narrow pathways, those massive 4 legged fucks that are in the No Man's Wharf that bleed you in 2 hits, the weird passive aggressive stone knights that won't attack you until you attack them. This game is a treat and struggling to advance despite beating the first Dark Souls is a testament to their game design that it really makes me question everything and take nothing for granted. I died a lot to chest traps that are randomized, I've become paranoid about cramped passageways and a sudden pocket or 4-way. I've been rewarded for exploration pretty much every time, and there is an excellent puzzle element to fights. I especially liked the gunpowder surrounding the giant mace enemy in the Cardinal Tower, who's fighting grounds were overlooked by several firebomb throwing skeletons. The game rewarded me succinctly for not trying to just bash my head against the obstacle by offering me the opportunity to take out the skeletons before hand, as well as rolling into all the gunpowder barrels so it couldn't be used as a weapon against me. Game is awesome, setpieces are awesome.

You know you can regain humanity by putting down a summon sign and helping the host right. You sound like you're spending a lot of time hollow you should fix that.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

TGLT posted:

Navlaan's blue like Agdayne and the grave wardens. You're probably right that he delved way too far into the bad darkness and the abyss poo poo, but he's probably not undead since that's a human thing, and he's probably not Aldia since Vendrick isn't a Fenito either.

edit: he's possibly also developed the anime crazies because he's been locked up in a tiny room for loving ever. Since he's in Aldia's manor, it's also possible that he wasn't hired help but rather a test subject. Fenito do have a connection to death and, presumably, undeath.

Hell, that may be why he was able to get possessed in the first place. Non-humans shouldn't be loving around with the Dark, it does not like them.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

FutonForensic posted:

Does anyone think the item Vendrick stole from the giants was actually the Petrified Dragon Egg, and not the Lordvessel?

I took it to be the Throne of Want. It's why you need the Giant Kinship to actually get to it: the Throne recognizes its own. The "prize" would logically be kept at the heart of the kingdom, and Drangleic Castle doesn't have anything else that seems related to the giants.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Captain Oblivious posted:

You know you can regain humanity by putting down a summon sign and helping the host right. You sound like you're spending a lot of time hollow you should fix that.

Offline play. Steam ports blocked on the ISP I'm currently using.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Thumbtacks posted:

Define shithead. If you want easy to win, lopsided battles, just put a summon stone down at a popular PvP spot and someone will probably summon you to help gank invaders. It's not very fulfilling, but it's an option.

Are there many souls to be had?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Hell, that may be why he was able to get possessed in the first place. Non-humans shouldn't be loving around with the Dark, it does not like them.

If he was a Fenito it wouldn't make much sense since they're all about the dark it seems.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Also what's the quickest way to break the rock on santiers?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I don't see why Navlaan couldn't be human. Just because he was killed doesn't mean he couldn't just get back up again later on. Don't forget the main theme of this game. :zombie:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

Join ratbros, wail on a Mastodon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

Get a bunch of bodies stacked together and wail on them, basically.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

neetengie posted:

You aren't invading the right guys! :mad:
Last time on my Sentinel character it was taking so long for the ring to find someone that I resorted to using Blue Eye Orbs.

The most activity I've gotten from blue cops is right before the sunlight altar. My theory is that most people switch out way of the blue out for sunbro covenant once they get to it.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

If he was a Fenito it wouldn't make much sense since they're all about the dark it seems.

Hmmm, that does put a wrench in my theory. Then again, when the Hell did Nito learn how to manipulate the Dark?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

I don't see why Navlaan couldn't be human. Just because he was killed doesn't mean he couldn't just get back up again later on. Don't forget the main theme of this game. :zombie:

Again, he's blue like Agdayne and the other Fenito. It's not conclusive, but there aren't many blue humans. Well, except like all the blue players.

Genocyber posted:

I think it's death first, and dark second, and maybe dark more conceptually than the abyss kind of dark? Then again Agdayne does use hex weapons.

I think evil Navlaan is probably just an evil anime second personality instead of dark based possession though. He says he was created, rather than talking about possessing Navlaan.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

R2 attack on Dyno and Tillo's nest. Works really well and is the easiest way.

Oh poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0YvHBxv-3Y

Stick Figure Mafia fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 30, 2014

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I had no plans for a PS4.

Now I do.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Iretep posted:

The most activity I've gotten from blue cops is right before the sunlight altar. My theory is that most people switch out way of the blue out for sunbro covenant once they get to it.
Well I just need to wear the ring and I'm summoned to any place. Kinda disappointed that there's no one to protect though. :(

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I did have plans for one, now I just have a deadline. I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls, may as well get the PS4 when the maybe sequel is released.

Though that trailer was posted earlier a couple times.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Hmmm, that does put a wrench in my theory. Then again, when the Hell did Nito learn how to manipulate the Dark?

Page five of the manual he got with his soul.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I did have plans for one, now I just have a deadline. I bought a PS3 for Demon's Souls, may as well get the PS4 when the maybe sequel is released.

It's not really a trailer, just a collection of the webm's with some music added.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

NTT posted:

Offline play. Steam ports blocked on the ISP I'm currently using.

That is a shame. You are definitely getting a degraded experience :smith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Harvest Valley is actually a pretty fun place to invade since in addition to all the normal travelers, you get invasions for people turning in their sunbro medals.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes but it didn't have the ridiculous Demon's Souls theme playing over it :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

neetengie posted:

Well I just need to wear the ring and I'm summoned to any place. Kinda disappointed that there's no one to protect though. :(

We actually tried farming blue cops at around 2 mil SM. Only two people were still wearing their rings in NG.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Genocyber posted:

Page five of the manual he got with his soul.

...poo poo, now I can't get the image that the Lord Souls came with manuals out of my head.

Gwyn thought reading was for pussies, Witch of Izalith accidentally burned hers, Nito flipped through it while killing time in his coffin, and the Pygmy reads it cover to cover twice a day.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 30, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Flytrap posted:

Dude's made out of human skeletons and walks around cloaked in Humanity, I assume that has something to do with his ties to Dark.
Also he lives in the Tomb of the Can't See poo poo.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Iretep posted:

We actually tried farming blue cops at around 2 mil SM. Only two people were still wearing their rings in NG.
Is anyone still in the Way of the Blue in NG+?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

aegof posted:

Dude's made out of human skeletons and walks around cloaked in Humanity, I assume that has something to do with his ties to Dark.
Also he lives in the Tomb of the Can't See poo poo.

I think he's supposed to be covered in a veil of pestilence and necrotic flesh.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

neetengie posted:

Haven't tried myself. I've heard people claim that yes there are. Invaders become more common there so people are more motivated to go back to way of the blue.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Flytrap posted:

...poo poo, now I can;t get the image that the Lord Souls came with manuals.

Gwyn thought reading was for pussies, Witch of Izalith accidentally burned hers, Nito flipped through it while killing time in his coffin, and the Pygmy reads it cover to cover twice a day.

Nah, the pygmy ripped out every page and handed them to different people so they could copy them. When they are at last reunited prepare for the Age of Really Dull Textbooks

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

neetengie posted:

I actually skipped it the first time around since invasions were so rare and only went into it for NG+ after getting all the sunbro rewards.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Flytrap posted:

I think he's supposed to be covered in a veil of pestilence and necrotic flesh.

Yeah, that's what I said.

(It could be that, but it looks so much like Humanity sprites and enemies and Dark magic that I can't not make the association.)

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Iretep posted:

Haven't tried myself. I've heard people claim that yes there are. Invaders become more common there so people are more motivated to go back to way of the blue.

PublicOpinion posted:

I actually skipped it the first time around since invasions were so rare and only went into it for NG+ after getting all the sunbro rewards.
Good to hear, I wanna get some action again and feel good about defending people from invaders :unsmith:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Dragon Shrine seems like a good spot for defending apostles in NG. Almost every time I invaded there a blue boy would show up to completely fail at protecting the host.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So i thought i'd give the whole invasion a try at Heide's tower of flame after grabbing three cracked orbs in the forest of fallen giants and holy crap this is fun. One just panicked and started fleeing, the other desperately summoned people while i caestus him to death and the other, well, he kicked my rear end :v:

How do i get more of these, i guess not for a long time since people complain it sucks to grab orbs?

I seriously feel like cheating to grab more, this is hella fun :getin:

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

neetengie posted:

I did all of my no-bonfire NG++ run entirely in Way of the Blue. Roughly 1/4 of the times I was invaded (not counting LGK summons), a blue cop showed up. Twice the blue cop managed to actually do something useful and not just run away and get murdered.

Now that I've completed the run and am now going back and picking up items I missed, and don't give a poo poo about anyone invading me, it seems like every time I'm invaded a blue cop shows up. I'm going to put my red string ring back on and be a professional victim.

For anyone thinking about it, a no-bonfire run is really easy, the only part of the game that is annoying is Drangleic Castle, because it requires multiple visits and you have to think ahead a little bit to save a bonfire or two for subsequent trips.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mans posted:

So i thought i'd give the whole invasion a try at Heide's tower of flame after grabbing three cracked orbs in the forest of fallen giants and holy crap this is fun. One just panicked and started fleeing, the other desperately summoned people while i caestus him to death and the other, well, he kicked my rear end :v:

How do i get more of these, i guess not for a long time since people complain it sucks to grab orbs?

Win a duel in the Undead Purgatory. There are a few you can find in the world and you can buy them from the guy in Undead Purgatory in ng+ (he may have a few in ng but he has infinite in later playthroughs). That's all the legit ways to get them at least.

edit: to be absolutely clear, when I say you can find them in the world I mean there's three ways to do it. One is to actually find them on the ground, another is to have them drop off certain enemies, and the last is to trade for them with the crows in the tutorial area for smooth and shiny stones. The later two are not guaranteed to happen, obviously.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 30, 2014

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Mans posted:

Kill small piggu, kill others in the Blood arena, kill Salamanders, go to NG+ and buy them 10k a pop.

cerebral posted:

I did all of my no-bonfire NG++ run entirely in Way of the Blue. Roughly 1/4 of the times I was invaded (not counting LGK summons), a blue cop showed up. Twice the blue cop managed to actually do something useful and not just run away and get murdered.

Now that I've completed the run and am now going back and picking up items I missed, and don't give a poo poo about anyone invading me, it seems like every time I'm invaded a blue cop shows up. I'm going to put my red string ring back on and be a professional victim.

For anyone thinking about it, a no-bonfire run is really easy, the only part of the game that is annoying is Drangleic Castle, because it requires multiple visits and you have to think ahead a little bit to save a bonfire or two for subsequent trips.
Please do so, I need muh kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Iretep posted:

I use people who use blue cop ring to farm my bloodbro rank so it might not be the best option for one sided gank fights. (Everyone should use the blue cop ring, PLEASE.)

No one pointed this out yet, but you're not actually advancing in the covenant. The Brotherhood of Blood only gains rank through net arena wins. It's stupid as hell and makes no loving sense.