Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
American Flagg is an absolute classic, and it was almost prophetic when viewed from today's perspective. The 12 issues contained in that bundle are the main story, and by far the best part of the series. Chaykin dropped out about halfway through that 50 issue run anyways. Definitely worth the $10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Uthor posted:

Man, all those titles are confusing. I'm assuming half of them are the same thing as the other half, but colored?

Anyway, I read about two volumes worth of the "B&W Classics" before. I'd say the first one is worth the $4 if only because it contains the origins of everything you love (Shredder, the ooze, mousers, April and Casey, even Krang). It's interesting how quickly all the classic elements are introduced and fleshed out and how they changed for the screen.

I vaguely remember the second volume becoming a sci-fi adventure in space and don't know where it goes from there. Can't say how good it is. Maybe read the first one and decide it you need more?

Cool, I probably grab the first volume for sure. Kinda torn if I want the classic B&W or the color version.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Uthor posted:

Man, all those titles are confusing. I'm assuming half of them are the same thing as the other half, but colored?

Anyway, I read about two volumes worth of the "B&W Classics" before. I'd say the first one is worth the $4 if only because it contains the origins of everything you love (Shredder, the ooze, mousers, April and Casey, even Krang). It's interesting how quickly all the classic elements are introduced and fleshed out and how they changed for the screen.

I vaguely remember the second volume becoming a sci-fi adventure in space and don't know where it goes from there. Can't say how good it is. Maybe read the first one and decide it you need more?

Okay, some much need explanation (thanks Comixology):

Black and White and Colored are the same comics, the Colored editions are just part IDW's recent color-ized re-releases. You only would need to grab one of them, though I recommend the colored ones. There isn't particularly amazing coloring going on, mainly just very acceptable and non-objectionable. Personally they are just more readable than black and white, outside of leaving each turtle indistinguishable (drat you historic red masks).

As for Vol. 2's space adventures, that setting lasts for about three issues before returning to earth for more vanilla TMNT stories.

And now, several notes about how complicated the publishing for this series is. One, a one-off issue 'micro-series' released of each turtle was published within the first eleven issues. Each of these are supposed to be read before issue 10 of the main series. For IDW's releases, this was Raphael (between issues #3 and #4), Michelangelo ((#6 and #7), Donatello, and then Leonardo (both between #9 and #10). I would recommend this order , aside from maybe moving Michelangelo after #7 as #4-7 is one story arc.

Another thing of note is that #8 is not included in IDW's re-releases as it was a crossover with Cerebus, and they certainly do not want to have to deal with Dave Sim. As well, more than a few stories were cut out from vol 2 of the color classics, presumably due to rights issues and the fact that Eastman and Larid's partnership was on hold after issues 11 of the original run. This split punctuates Vol. One and starts Vol. Two of the color classics.

As it appears, any of the issues that weren't collected in vol. 2 are part of the TMNT Classics volumes, making things more confusing.

In summary:

-Black and White Classics: issues 1-11 and the micro series as originally presented
-Colored Classics: Same but in color, plus select issues between #12 and #21 of the original run
-Classics: Any issues not collected in colored classics, plus most of the issues between #22 and #47 of the original run.
-Anything else: Merch for the 1980's cartoon

Personally, i'd recommend buying the color classics, if for historic value if nothing else. Personally I found more than a few to be quite entertaining, though some are real stinkers (see vol. 2 #3 of the color classics for the premier trappings of trying to write non-DC or Marvel superheroes).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Another thing of note is that #8 is not included in IDW's re-releases as it was a crossover with Cerebus, and they certainly do not want to have to deal with Dave Sim.

Just feel like pointing out that IDW is basically the only company Dave Sim does work with. He did a ton of variant covers for them of late (Doctor Who and Martians Attack), they are putting out the physical copy of his Audio/Visual Kickstarter from a couple years ago, and they are working on putting out a book of there Cerebus covers.

Also, I'm pretty sure that he has given up all rights for work that he has done for others (the stuff in Spawn, TMNT, etc). And he allows anybody who wants to do their own stuff with Cerebus as a character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Howard Chaykin sale https://www.comixology.com/Howard-Chaykin-Sale/page/2010

Get yourself American Flagg n The Shadow.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Uthor posted:

How many issues are in those volumes which you've linked there? That's $3.99/€3.59, but there's a bundle for $13/€12, which I presume has all #1-11 (minus #8) plus the specials.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I'm looking at the X-Men books that are on sale. Is the X-Men series (The one with the all women cast) any good? If it is, is there anything I have to know before hand?

Also, when I buy the trade versions of books on comixology, for example The Dark Phoenix Saga, Does it give me it as each separate issue that makes up the book or do I get one book?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on May 25, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm looking at the X-Men books that are on sale. Is the X-Men series (The one with the all women cast) any good? If it is, is there anything I have to know before hand?

Also, when I buy the trade versions of books on comixology, do I get them as single issues and I have to download each one or is it just one item?

X-Men is good. Pasts are brought up, like Jubilee's vampire thing, but it I didn't find it mattered.

On tablets the trade versions are always one thing to download, but in the browser you can sometimes pick out individual issues to read. It was like that with the Strange Girl Omnibus I got on sale.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Also, when I buy the trade versions of books on comixology, for example The Dark Phoenix Saga, Does it give me it as each separate issue that makes up the book or do I get one book?

Regarding X-Men, you don't really need to know anything going in. As for its quality, I dropped it after a few issues as I thought it lacked personality, but Wood has always left me pretty cold as a writer so ymmv.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

How many issues are in those volumes which you've linked there? That's $3.99/€3.59, but there's a bundle for $13/€12, which I presume has all #1-11 (minus #8) plus the specials.

It's the first three issues plus the Raphael one shot.

The bundle is probably a better deal if you them all.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

BigRed0427 posted:

Single books in that case; bundles are individual issues. Besides price, also consider HD space.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Looks like all of Age of Apocalypse (and the mini series a decade later) are on sale for a dollar each. Kinda want to read it again, but what are worth getting from the side stories. Looking it up, Alpha and Omega is the start and finish to the storyline, so those I probably will grab. Also how was that miniseries a few years ago?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I dunno about the Yoshida one they have here, but the Lapham series which spun out of Uncanny X-Force was pretty okay.

e: The sale seems to be missing the Legion Quest lead up issues.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 26, 2014

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

I dunno about the Yoshida one they have here, but the Lapham series which spun out of Uncanny X-Force was pretty okay.

e: The sale seems to be missing the Legion Quest lead up issues.

Yeah I noticed that, which is odd since the one shot wrap-up issue that has them dealing with Legion is on sale.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They are doing another 20 days of free comics, so you want to get on that you should.

First one is batman!

Not that batman.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

They are doing another 20 days of free comics, so you want to get on that you should.

First one is batman!

Not that batman.

Where did you find this? The Free Comic page on Comixology still shows the same old stuff.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rirse posted:

Where did you find this? The Free Comic page on Comixology still shows the same old stuff.

Its on the very top of the home page.

Its got its own banner and everything!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its on the very top of the home page.

Its got its own banner and everything!

For some reason the local comic shop version of Comixology (same site, but they get a small percent of the sales) didn't have the banner.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Is there a way to keep track of Comixology sales without visiting the website each day? (I'm thinking of something wish list & notification based, like appshopper.com).

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Rirse posted:

For some reason the local comic shop version of Comixology (same site, but they get a small percent of the sales) didn't have the banner.
They also don't have the banner if you go to https://www.comixology.eu which you're supposed to now if you're in Europe. :thumbsup:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's a great issue of Detective Comics, btw. The beginning of Scott Snyder's run.
Too bad it's not a self contained one-shot cause it'll cause you to buy ten more comics.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Rirse posted:

Looks like all of Age of Apocalypse (and the mini series a decade later) are on sale for a dollar each. Kinda want to read it again, but what are worth getting from the side stories. Looking it up, Alpha and Omega is the start and finish to the storyline, so those I probably will grab. Also how was that miniseries a few years ago?

I would say that the all the original series are necessary as they all have their own things that contribute to how the story plays out in the end. I would just follow this list:
http://www.comicbookherald.com/the-complete-marvel-reading-order-guide/age-of-apocalypse-reading-order/

I remember liking the Blink miniseries, but it should be read after the main storyline. None of the other stuff has left any impression on me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Transmetropolitan is on sale again.
https://www.comixology.com/Transmetropolitan-Sale/page/2055

Still no bundling from DC.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Transmetropolitan is on sale again.
https://www.comixology.com/Transmetropolitan-Sale/page/2055

Still no bundling from DC.

Yay! I started on digital comics a bit over a year ago, and had been waiting for this sale since. I remember this series as one of my all-time favorites. (Detailed art, fun characters, high energy, neat worldbuilding, humor, good arcs, etc etc etc.)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Age of Apocalypse is on sale:
https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Age-of-Apocalypse/bundle/706

I spent all weekend reading these on Marvel Unlimited and they weren't as terrible and 90s as I remember them. There's still lovely Action Poses and Gambit and Wolverine are 2cool4school but the plot works really well.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

vtlock posted:

Is there a way to keep track of Comixology sales without visiting the website each day? (I'm thinking of something wish list & notification based, like appshopper.com).

As bad as Facebook is to use, they promote their new sales really well on it.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

They also update G+ with all the same info

https://plus.google.com/+comiXology/posts

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
They seem to have setup a mailing list just for this sale.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I have pretty much all the #1 issues from AoA from the Marvel #1 offer they did last year. I can get most of the rest (if I take out stuff like X-Men Chronicles and the 2005 mini) for just under €25. It's so tempting. :stare:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Big Parker sale on comixology, all 4 volumes for 16.99.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Big Parker sale on comixology, all 4 volumes for 16.99.

Do this.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh neat, Marvel Unlimited added the #1 for Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, and She-Hulk. Everyone check out the first issue if you have it, as I am loving the series so far.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Today's free ComiXology book is Jason's Werewolves of Montpellier. 50-pages, complete self-contained story. If you aren't familiar with his work pick this up and prepare to be wowed. Surprised they threw this in amongst the usual Issue #1s they tend to give away.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Rirse posted:

Oh neat, Marvel Unlimited added the #1 for Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel, and She-Hulk. Everyone check out the first issue if you have it, as I am loving the series so far.

Are you talking about the 2014 series? I'm not reading Captain Marvel but the new Ms Marvel (which I'm reading with no knowledge of Kamala's predecessor) and She Hulk are pretty good, though the art in the new Shulkie series is a mild let down compared to the 04-05/05-09 series which just got it's third volume released on Comixology recently, though there's a fairly obvious gap I'm missing between Volums 2 and 3.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Anime_Otaku posted:

Are you talking about the 2014 series? I'm not reading Captain Marvel but the new Ms Marvel (which I'm reading with no knowledge of Kamala's predecessor) and She Hulk are pretty good, though the art in the new Shulkie series is a mild let down compared to the 04-05/05-09 series which just got it's third volume released on Comixology recently, though there's a fairly obvious gap I'm missing between Volums 2 and 3.

I think that is a mistake. Occasionally they will add newer titles that shouldn't be up yet but trying to download them just results in an error.

Also the AOA sale really highlights how badly they need either the ability to create your own TPB's or to automatically get the TPB's once you have all the issues contained within. :sigh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think that is a mistake. Occasionally they will add newer titles that shouldn't be up yet but trying to download them just results in an error.

Also the AOA sale really highlights how badly they need either the ability to create your own TPB's or to automatically get the TPB's once you have all the issues contained within. :sigh:

Yeah I noticed they vanished from the "new release" page since and got replaced by all the stuff from six months ago that came out on the 28th.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, the old Comixology app had that "story arcs" tab that I don't think ever really did anything. Now that they're owned by Amazon it'll never happen, but they really need some way to personally organize your stuff or, hell, shareable reading lists.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, the old Comixology app had that "story arcs" tab that I don't think ever really did anything. Now that they're owned by Amazon it'll never happen, but they really need some way to personally organize your stuff or, hell, shareable reading lists.

Yeah that would be fine as well.

:smith:

Rirse posted:

Yeah I noticed they vanished from the "new release" page since and got replaced by all the stuff from six months ago that came out on the 28th.

Usually its stuff that is released that week so this is a little weird.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Probably not going to happen because the trades have "additional" content in them in the form of maybe scripts/art etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Does Comixology have the colour versions of Scott Pilgrim? I think they're meant to but they don't show up when I search the uk site.