Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

No one pointed this out yet, but you're not actually advancing in the covenant. The Brotherhood of Blood only gains rank through net arena wins. It's stupid as hell and makes no loving sense.

Nah, killing blue cops who were summoned to defend also advances rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Control Volume posted:

Nah, killing blue cops who were summoned to defend also advances rank.

Why have I only just learned of this? Goddamn it.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

I went back a few pages and didn't see these patch notes so if anyone can translate better than google:

FROM posted:

日頃よりフロム・ソフトウェアをご愛顧頂きまして誠にありがとうございます。

DARK SOULS II(PlayStation3/Xbox 360/Windows)におきまして、
ゲーム内バランスを調整する新たなレギュレーション1.06の適用を予定しております。

よろしくお願い申し上げます。
【日時】

2014年6月2日(月) 17:00予定
【対象プラットフォーム】

全プラットフォーム(PlayStation 3、Xbox 360、Windows)
【レギュレーション1.06での主な調整内容】
  • 武器「飛鼠の杖」で近接攻撃時のみに毒ダメージが発生するように修正
  • スペル使用時には毒ダメージは発生しないようになります。
  • 武器「アヴェリン」のモーション、ダメージ量、強化時のバランスを調整
  • 武器「ザインの斧槍」のモーション、ダメージ量のバランスを調整
  • 武器「サンティの槍」のダメージ量、スタミナへのダメージ量、強化時のバランスを調整
  • 武器「呪縛者の大剣」のモーションを調整
  • 防具「ケイルの革鎧」、「ケイルの靴」のパラメータを調整
  • 指輪「深淵の指輪」の闇術補正値の調整
  • スペル「ソウルの大きな共鳴」のダメージ量のバランスを調整
  • スペル「神の怒り」のダメージ量のバランスを調整
  • スペル「共鳴する武器」のダメージ増加量を調整
  • スペル「炎の武器」のダメージ増加量を調整
  • 刺剣カテゴリ武器のモーション調整
  • 大斧カテゴリ武器の二刀流両手攻撃モーションの変更
  • 曲剣カテゴリ武器のパリィモーションの調整
  • スペルによる武器エンチャントのバランスの調整
  • スペルの効果時間への影響度合いをステータス値に応じて変動するように調整

本レギュレーション適用後、タイトル画面右上のレギュレーション表記は以下の通りとなります。
Regulation [1.05 ⇒ 1.06]

google translate posted:

Thank you very much I received for your continued support of From Software than daily.

DARK SOULS II Niokimashite (PlayStation3/Xbox 360/Windows),
I am planning to apply for a new regulation 1.06 to adjust the game balance.

Thank you.
[Date and time]

June 2, 2014 (Mon) 17:00 plan
[Platforms]

All platforms (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Windows)
Main adjustments in regulation 1.06]
  • Poison damage will not occur in the correct spelling when using poison damage to occur to only melee attack at the time of "wand flying rat" weapon.
  • Adjust the balance of the motion weapon "Avu~erin", amount of damage, at the time of strengthening
  • The adjustment motion of "Onoyari of thine" weapons, the balance of the amount of damage
  • The balance amount of damage "spear of Santi" weapon, the amount of damage to stamina, at the time of strengthening
  • Adjust the motion of the "sword of the curse's" weapon
  • To adjust the parameters "leather armor of Cale" armor and "shoes Cale"
  • Adjust the darkness surgery correction value of "ring of abyss" ring
  • The balance of the amount of damage "large resonance of Seoul" spell
  • The balance amount of damage spell of "wrath of God"
  • Adjust the increased amount of damage "weapon that resonance" spell
  • Adjust the increased amount of damage "weapon of fire" spell
  • Motion adjustment of thorn sword weapon category
  • Change of dual wield two-handed attack motion of broad ax weapon category
  • Adjustment of Parry motion of the song sword weapon category
  • Adjustment of the balance of the weapon enchanted by the spell
  • Adjusted to vary depending on the status value of the degree of influence of the duration of the spell
After applying this regulation, regulation notation of title upper right corner of the screen will be as follows.
Regulation [1.05 ⇒ 1.06]

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

Why have I only just learned of this? Goddamn it.

Because it's so rare that no one remembers it. :(

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Control Volume posted:

Because it's so rare that no one remembers it. :(

I suppose you still lose points if you lose those fights? I need to keep my expectations appropriately low. :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I...think I'm gonna have to wait for a better translation on those patch notes :psyduck:

Japanese is a language that survives Google translate poorly. :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

I suppose you still lose points if you lose those fights? I need to keep my expectations appropriately low. :(

According to all the wikis that talk about it, you can only lose points in the arena.

e: Oh I remember the exception now, arena duels and bluecop murders don't stack. It's one or the other.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

masato tatanka posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see these patch notes so if anyone can translate better than google:

It looks like they're balancing the damage of GRS, WoG, possibly increasing damage (or reducing) Flame + Resonant Weapon, Avelyn might be getting nerfed, Santier's Spear might be getting nerfed, doing something with the Abyss Seal and other stuff I can't comprehend.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Control Volume posted:

According to all the wikis that talk about it, you can only lose points in the arena.

e: Oh I remember the exception now, arena duels and bluecop murders don't stack. It's one or the other.

So your options for advancing in the covenant are tied to a stupid amount of net wins in an arena composed almost exclusively of unfair fights and winning fights that almost never happen.

Great game design, From.

neetengie posted:

It looks like they're balancing the damage of GRS, WoG, possibly increasing damage (or reducing) Flame + Resonant Weapon, Avelyn might be getting nerfed, Santier's Spear might be getting nerfed, doing something with the Abyss Seal and other stuff I can't comprehend.

It looks like they're also nerfing "Song Sword" parry, which could be either the Monastery Scimitar specifically or curved swords in general. Hopefully it's the former.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
E: Beaten

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

I...think I'm gonna have to wait for a better translation on those patch notes :psyduck:

-Bat Staff poison bonus is for melee only
-Avelyn nerf
-No idea what "Onoyari of thine" is
-Santier Spear nerf
-No idea what "sword of the curse's" is
-Cale's armor buff
-Abyss ring nerf
-Resonant Soul nerf
-Wrath of God nerf
-Resonant Weapon nerf
-Flame Weapon nerf
-Unsure what "Thorn Sword" is, presumably Thorned Greatsword moveset change
-Axe/Greataxe change
-Monastery Sword parry nerf
-Reduced weapon enchantment buff
-Buffed Lingering Dragoncrest/Nerfed enchantment duration?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Looks like they're nerfing the capital of South Korea to me.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A...Flame Weapon nerf? I wonder why. It's pretty much the same as all the rest, except for in how many uses it has, or at least I thought it was. Did it have some abnormally high % buff I'm not aware of?

Maybe they're curtailing the cast amount.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Large resonance of Seoul? Hah.

Eh, it makes enough sense to follow.

edit: We should keep in mind that balance doesn't necessarily mean nerf. Any one of these could be getting buffed for all we know. Well, for all we who do not read Japanese know at any rate.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 30, 2014

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

LEGEND OF ZELDA: ONOYARI OF THINE

e: looks like Onoyari of Thine is the Syan's Halberd, gently caress you users of that

handsome only face fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 30, 2014

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

From what I can interpret, it looks like the Bat Staff, Avelyn, Santier's Spear, Cale's set, Abyss covenant ring, Wrath of God, Resonant Soul, Resonant Weapon, Fire Weapon, and Greataxe powerstance moveset are getting changed in some way.
I think they're doing something to piercing and curved swords but that part is even more confusing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Motioning to ban referring to the Bat Staff henceforth as anything other than "wand flying rat" weapon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The Iron Keep is a shithole, the Smelter Demon is an rear end in a top hat and the Blacksteel Katana is disappointing.

Also, holy poo poo people are really bad at this game. I was trying to Small Sign Sunbro to get my humanity back and most people died before even getting to the fog door.

The rest died to the Smelter Demon, but I can't really fault them for that.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/26uq3u/dark_souls_ii_v106_regulation_notes_poorly/

slightly better translation.

Some of these changes are dumb. i.e. Santier's. It was only "OP" when made mundane, whereas it sounds like it'll get a flat nerf.

And nerfing res weapon makes no sense, it already has a ton of downsides.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

The Iron Keep is a shithole, the Smelter Demon is an rear end in a top hat and the Blacksteel Katana is disappointing.

Also, holy poo poo people are really bad at this game. I was trying to Small Sign Sunbro to get my humanity back and most people died before even getting to the fog door.

Smelter Demon is legit hardcore but he WILL make you a better player. Learn to rely entirely on dodge rolls. Time it right, squeeze right out under his swings. Remember, roll INTO the swing. Less time in the hitbox makes the most of limited iFrames.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
So I just read what the Covenant of Champions does when you join it. I guess that explains why the game is so loving hard, because apparently it makes the game's difficulty ramp up to NG+ levels. I can only really laugh at myself. Here I am bashing my head against the wall when I didn't even realize I ramped the difficulty up shitloads by joining a covenant when I started playing. :laffo:

e; time to abandon the gently caress out of this covenant so I can enjoy the rest of the game.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Smelter Demon is legit hardcore but he WILL make you a better player. Learn to rely entirely on dodge rolls. Time it right, squeeze right out under his swings. Remember, roll INTO the swing. Less time in the hitbox makes the most of limited iFrames.

Oh, yeah, Iron Keep has already made me change up my play a lot given how everything there attacks. And I have had some good fights against Smelter, just none good enough, yet.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Alabaster White posted:

-Santier Spear nerf

Just finished my Mundane run. Was fun while it lasted.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Genocyber posted:

And nerfing res weapon makes no sense, it already has a ton of downsides.

Duration and soul cost, but is there anything else?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NTT posted:

So I just read what the Covenant of Champions does when you join it. I guess that explains why the game is so loving hard, because apparently it makes the game's difficulty ramp up to NG+ levels. I can only really laugh at myself. Here I am bashing my head against the wall when I didn't even realize I ramped the difficulty up shitloads by joining a covenant when I started playing. :laffo:

e; time to abandon the gently caress out of this covenant so I can enjoy the rest of the game.

This is why you stop, think, and ask yourself: "Hmm the game has asked me three times are you REALLY REALLY SURE you want to join this Covenant maaaaybe this is a bad idea". :v:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

The Blacksteel is the best early katana in the game, what are you talking about

The only things that really outdo it are the washing pole because of the range and the chaos blade because of the bullshit damage output.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

aegof posted:

Duration and soul cost, but is there anything else?

Requires 2 slots and gives 2 casts, compared to Dark Weapon's 1 slot and 4 casts.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

This is why you stop, think, and ask yourself: "Hmm the game has asked me three times are you REALLY REALLY SURE you want to join this Covenant maaaaybe this is a bad idea". :v:

I just saw that as the usual 'picking a covenant isn't trivial, because if you switch to another one you'll be penalized'.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh, yeah, Iron Keep has already made me change up my play a lot given how everything there attacks. And I have had some good fights against Smelter, just none good enough, yet.

You can do it :unsmith:

Also the final boss of Iron Keep is a total joke after the INTENSIVE TRAINING REGIMEN of Smelter Demon.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

NTT posted:

I just saw that as the usual 'picking a covenant isn't trivial, because if you switch to another one you'll be penalized'.

Did you actually read the warnings, though? One of them specifically says it will "set you on an arduous path."

Genocyber posted:

Requires 2 slots and gives 2 casts, compared to Dark Weapon's 1 slot and 4 casts.

Dark Weapon can only be cast by staves though. :argh:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

What gets me on smelter is after dodging all of his basic attacks, he'll hold that smash attack over his head just long enough that I gently caress up my timing and roll early and eat flame sword.

Also, I kinda wish his phase abilities happened later in the fight. Seems like 60-75% of the fight is phase 3.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Control Volume posted:

The Blacksteel is the best early katana in the game, what are you talking about

The only things that really outdo it are the washing pole because of the range and the chaos blade because of the bullshit damage output.

It's so slow though. It may just be that I've come to know and love the Drangleic Sword so much, but something about the katana just feels wrong.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
You know, in hindsight I did see that warning. However I was far too "YAY DARK SOULS" to really think about it. I've been trying to play the game without 0 knowledge or internet to help me advance, just like it would have been had the game came out in the 90s. I came into the game blind, but it appears I unintentionally hosed my experience by making it way more :darksouls: than it needed to be.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

It's so slow though. It may just be that I've come to know and love the Drangleic Sword so much, but something about the katana just feels wrong.

Two words: running attack.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inspector_666 posted:

There's nothing wrong with its attack speed. Except maybe for its quickdraw heavy, that's kinda slow.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Control Volume posted:

The greatsword running attack is also extremely good.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Control Volume posted:

Yeah, I was just told about that today. I'll probably try to work it in more since it looks cool. I just hyped that whole family of swords in my head.

King of Solomon posted:

There's nothing wrong with its attack speed. Except maybe for its quickdraw heavy, that's kinda slow.

Like I said, I think it's just because the Drangleic Sword is so good that I'm not happy. I mean, that thing will 2-shot Alonne Knights and the thrusting heavy attack comes out super fast and will knock an enemy back enough that I can always connect with the follow up slashing heavy, and generally that means I've killed everything I fight.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 30, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

NTT posted:

You know, in hindsight I did see that warning. However I was far too "YAY DARK SOULS" to really think about it. I've been trying to play the game without 0 knowledge or internet to help me advance, just like it would have been had the game came out in the 90s. I came into the game blind, but it appears I unintentionally hosed my experience by making it way more :darksouls: than it needed to be.

Well it wouldn't be Dark Souls without running it multiple times with drastically different playstyles each time. :v:

Inspector_666 posted:

Like I said, I think it's just because the Drangleic Sword is so good that I'm not happy. I mean, that thing will 2-shot Alonne Knights and the thrusting heavy attack comes out super fast and will knock an enemy back enough that I can always connect with the follow up slashing heavy, and generally that means I've killed everything I fight.

The Claymore/Drangleic/Burger King Sword/Defender Greatsword moveset has that effect on people. It's hard to go back.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Genocyber posted:

1 extra slot is hardly a tradeoff for the bonus 20% power compared to every other enchantment in the game, and casts barely matter at all thanks to herbs. Even as a phantom, 2 casts will probably last you long enough to do whatever it is you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, greatswords are probably actually a little too good to be honest. Katanas are totally fine though, you just have to put in the effort and/or stats and you'll gently caress poo poo up.