Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

So after getting a better handle on things, I've noticed a few things for multiplayer:

-If you hear something that sounds out of the ordinary behind you, it's probably someone.

-Proximity IEDs only explode near you or them in Invasion, normal people won't set them off.

-Sometimes the best way to hide is to be somewhere easily escapable when you see them coming. I positioned myself to see the stairs while hiding by the rail stop and as soon as I saw him coming I jumped off and ran to the other side. I won that round.

-Cameras can help when you don't have quite a good view. If you're facing the other way it kind of looks like you're zoning out too.

Multiplayer is fun as hell though. I normally hate multiplayer in PC games because I'm awful but even still this is fun. I had an invasion that ended in a 5 minute chase around the city. Sports car vs lovely SUV.

EDIT: OH! Forgot a tip, if they use a blackout it shows the lines where it came from so if you're quick enough you can easily find them when they do it.

Elucidarius fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
clara :argh:

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Someone took a really big poo poo.

That was wifi enabled.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Man I am an ahole. Inasion 90% guy had no clue where I was (on an L Train statiom). Started loving with him shooting the grenade launcher into traffic near him.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TerminalBlue posted:

Wow. My playstyle just got 100% more paranoid after I randomly spotted somebody tailing me.

Now that I've taken to occasionally coming to a complete dead halt and turning around and profiling everybody behind me, I've managed to catch two more. In the course of 30 minutes. :tinfoil:
The more often you do negative stuff for your rep and/or let Blume employees call in, the more often you get invaded.

Tide posted:

Out of curiosity, has there been another console game that's shown bare titties, nipples and all?
The Saboteur had some bare-titty DLC. I think that was a first. It didn't really improve the game by a great deal but it did make the cutscenes more interesting for a couple hours.

I am pretty sure it wasn't anywhere near :10bux: though, more like 2..?

Elucidarius posted:

So after getting a better handle on things, I've noticed a few things for multiplayer:

-If you hear something that sounds out of the ordinary behind you, it's probably someone.
What about those odd digital "ping" noises? Is that someone half-spotting and losing me or something? :tinfoil:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Iseeyouseemeseeyou posted:

clara lisbeth salander :argh:

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.
Well, after fiddling with some network nonsense, I managed to get an Avg. Wait Time of 1 min. for Hacking, got an offer to hack someone, accepted and then errored out. Now I'm back to Avg. Wait Time: Unknown and No Players Found. But uh, at least there's some kind of progress?

Maybe is some bizarro Canadian issue. I'd say that's not how things work, but you never know with Ubisoft's bullshit servers. I'll stop bitching now, though.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

So a guy hacks into me and gets in a fire truck. I try to stop him after the profile, but he got away due to a timely bridge hack.

Ok whatever. Got some points. Now I'm running around doing collectibles and I hear sirens and turn to see a fire truck slam into three cars, back up, and then push through them. Naturally I pulled out my grenade launcher and nuked the front of the fire truck and killed the driver, and waited for my hacking ended screen. None came.

I walked over to the truck and profiled the body laying there. "No more records found"

The paranoia is starting to kick in. :tinfoil:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NeoSeeker posted:

Like the hacking part isn't all that great in practice especially for loving around. loving with stoplights and traffic blockers never gets old, we thought it wouldn't when they showed us those two things in the first gameplay videos. Apparently those two things are really some of the only fun things to gently caress around with.

Blowing up people's grenades is great. Blackouts are great. Hacking steam vents, exploding transformers, overloading people's com systems, and listening in on phone calls and text conversations are all pretty neat.

And hacking your way through an entire level from camera to camera IS something very new and very cool, which has only been seen in Narbacular Drop, a student project game not many have played.

I get the feeling you dont' really get the game and haven't played it very far but you're bitching because... you can and that's cool to do? :v:

There are good things to complain about this game sucking at, like the story. What you're saying though... just keep playing the game dude. You have to learn how it all works.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Is there any reason at all to take the disable helicopter skills when a single goddamn shot from the Destroyer makes them back off?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zaphod42 posted:

Blowing up people's grenades is great. Blackouts are great. Hacking steam vents, exploding transformers, overloading people's com systems, and listening in on phone calls and text conversations are all pretty neat.

And hacking your way through an entire level from camera to camera IS something very new and very cool, which has only been seen in Narbacular Drop, a student project game not many have played.

I get the feeling you dont' really get the game and haven't played it very far but you're bitching because... you can and that's cool to do? :v:

There are good things to complain about this game sucking at, like the story. What you're saying though... just keep playing the game dude. You have to learn how it all works.
Wasn't the camera-jump thing done in Deus Ex:HR? Or am I misremembering? Frankly I preferred the hacking in that game since BioShock wore out the Pipe Dream welcome almost ten years ago. :(

And yeah, the more you play the more it makes sense, although some of that knowledge gained over time is based on random poo poo happening and you noticing in time.. :unsmith:

For instance, it took me nearly 10 hours of play before I realized that I could take out people I was chasing with stoplights, for instance. I had restarted the game and had a vague grasp of what the "ping" and blue highlights meant and then suddenly BOOM fuckin' a I didn't have to chase that rear end in a top hat all over the city after harassing my sister, after all! :laugh:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Azurrat posted:

Is there any reason at all to take the disable helicopter skills when a single goddamn shot from the Destroyer makes them back off?

Sure. You can get the disable helicopter skill a lot sooner than you get the sniper rifle, and it's pretty hard to snipe choppers while zipping around inside cars.

coyo7e posted:

Wasn't the camera-jump thing done in Deus Ex:HR?

Nope

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 30, 2014

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

This game doesn't know what it wants. It's supped up with sexy graphics and yet it asks for suspension of belief like a motherfucker. There's a reason why many things will most likely stay off the grid in real life, this game is full of them.

I wasn't aware good graphics and suspension of disbelief were mutually exclusive. Your point is kind of all over. You're complaining that there isn't enough to do with hacking but too much of the game has hacking enabled.

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Had my first online hacking experience tonight. I was actually taking a piss just after I completed the story mission with the first hacker. It tried to join a hack session but failed and so I figured it just wasn't working. I came back in to see the purple progress bar at like 34% and was like OH gently caress! Grabbed the controller and started freaking out, running around scanning people. Eventually I found him huddled behind something and I shot the bastard.. It was fun..

Also I really love the Drive vibe in this game. It's basically a Drive videogame with a whole bunch of other poo poo thrown in. That alone for me is worth the price of admission. I love this game! All the little details create some pretty hilarious situation. I saw outside my safehouse a guy getting his poo poo thrown into the streets by his now ex-girlfriend and I scanned him and it said "Recently posted nude photo online"

It would be usefull if you could scan other things like cars and get stats and names of vehicles, who it belongs to.. Etc.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Sedisp posted:

I wasn't aware good graphics and suspension of disbelief were mutually exclusive.

Hell, I wasn't even aware this game had especially good graphics! You certainly can't really tell by just looking at it, at least.

Choda Dog posted:

It would be usefull if you could scan other things like cars and get stats and names of vehicles, who it belongs to.. Etc.

I'd be happy if the name of the vehicle popped up when you get inside it.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 30, 2014

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

coyo7e posted:

The most immersion-breaking thing for me is - do people really regularly store hundreds of dollars in their glove compartments? I can believe drugs and weapons, but come on.

Here's something that will blow your mind: Chicago does not have gun stores. You have to go to the suburbs for that poo poo.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Hey so how moddable, if at all, is this game? Fer instance, I remember both GTA 4 and SR4 got some fairly popular and halfway neat first person mods, and I figure the same could probably have some novelty in WD.

E; If nothing else, you can at least install SweetFX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGd1wwyILI&t=496s

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 30, 2014

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Just ignore NeoSeeker. He's either a lovely troll or insane. He posted a bunch in the old thread about how Watch Dogs was just a scam to sell new, expensive video cards.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
There is something so insanely awesomely effectively creepy about tailing mode being unannounced. All the hours I've dicked around, there coulda been people just spying on me, touching my car, etc.

It's like the digital version of getting robbed and having this sense of paranoia and violation. But in a really novel way.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
My only real gripe with the game is that there isn't enough data sorting for all the content in there. I'd really like to be able to break things down by district, in particular. Saints Row III and IV did this pretty well, as the numbers for side activities and stuff were context sensitive to where you were looking on the map, and you could just look out in the water to see numbers for the whole city.

^^^^: If not for the progress bug killing my last save and me avoiding multiplayer because of it, I'd be doing tailing missions all the time. They're super fun and fairly easy, while hacking is a bit more intense.

bonzaisushi
Nov 15, 2003

doo dee doo dmt, lsd doo dmt, lsd doo dmt...

Party Plane Jones posted:

Why there isn't Kavinsky (again!) in a game with a cop stealth mechanic and a dash cam system I'll never know. The soundtrack for this game is not good at all.

Amen!!!! Give me a loving open world game with kavinsky already! I paid for sony music unlimited just so i could have good poo poo going while i played this game. Horrible sound track!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

coyo7e posted:

The most immersion-breaking thing for me is - do people really regularly store hundreds of dollars in their glove compartments? I can believe drugs and weapons, but come on.

I've got 3 grand in my center console. :shrug:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Citizen OS spying is way creepier than just the normal privacy invasions, one of them had a cannibal dismembering a corpse and eating his fingers, which the CTZNOS marked as 'cocktail weiners' since it had nothing to compare it against apparently. Also an office building suicide via defenestration.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Man, if you play Alone, you better use your EMP grenades for the last couple of generators. Luring the robots out of your path with those seems to be the only sane way to get through them, considering they seem to spawn new robots pointed directly towards you every five steps you take. Jesus. All of that just for a costume that I'll probably never use and to soothe my completionist OCD a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

Hey so how moddable, if at all, is this game? Fer instance, I remember both GTA 4 and SR4 got some fairly popular and halfway neat first person mods, and I figure the same could probably have some novelty in WD.

E; If nothing else, you can at least install SweetFX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHGd1wwyILI&t=496s

So it just makes it look like a different time of day than it actually is? Every time he turns it on it just looks how the game looks in the evening. Sweet. I guess.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

NESguerilla posted:

So it just makes it look like a different time of day than it actually is? Every time he turns it on it just looks how the game looks in the evening. Sweet. I guess.
It's for those people who think stronger contrast=more realistic graphics. There are tons of enthusiasts of that and some of those mods make it so that you can't see poo poo.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I wasn't aware good graphics and suspension of disbelief were mutually exclusive. Your point is kind of all over. You're complaining that there isn't enough to do with hacking but too much of the game has hacking enabled.

It's Neoseeker, he's the sperg in the pre-release thread who whined about graphics being pointless in video games and how he can totally make the best game ever if someone else would just do all the work.

Hilarious to see he actually got the game after bitching for so long about Watch Dogs being the WORST GAME EVER.

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

Feenix posted:

There is something so insanely awesomely effectively creepy about tailing mode being unannounced. All the hours I've dicked around, there coulda been people just spying on me, touching my car, etc.

It's like the digital version of getting robbed and having this sense of paranoia and violation. But in a really novel way.

I think when you're being tailed and you profile the npc around you, it will say "not a threat" on the profiler.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Palpek posted:

It's for those people who think stronger contrast=more realistic graphics. There are tons of enthusiasts of that and some of those mods make it so that you can't see poo poo.

To be fair most of them have probably never been out in daylight before, so they don't really have a good frame of reference.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
In regards to people Tailing me.
A bunch of times I've had it pop up with Aidan mumbling that someone is tailing him and it pops up with a purple circle and the percentage bar. Sometimes I've fought and other times I've flighted. You don't lose anything for getting tailed though.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

NESguerilla posted:

It adds post processing shader effects that can be tweaked, and it can make a lot of bland games look a lot better.

E; to be fair, whenever I've used something like sweetfx, it has always been with ENB's, so I can't really say how well it stands on its own. You kind of have to see it ingame to get a feel for it, and a lot of presets are absolute poo poo.

Aging games like GTA 4 looks significantly better with ENB + shaders, and you can do some pretty neat things with the gamebryo engine as well.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 30, 2014

Silentgoldfish
Nov 5, 2008
What are you meant to do if you're being tailed? I seemed to be invincible, the other player was too, I couldn't get rid of them and they were stopping me playing by blowing things up and not letting me interact with things by virtue of being in the game. In the end I had to quit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

It adds post processing shader effects that can be tweaked, and it can make a lot of bland games look a lot better.

Just not in the case of Watch Dogs though? It just looked like he was throwing a lovely instagram filter on it or bumping up the contrast on his TV.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
It looks better because it is now in letterbox.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Also another thing about Tailing/Hacking.
If you're in the Pause menu, if the stuff in the background is still moving about there's a good chance someone is after you.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
What's the deal with the Missing Persons sidequest? I found 3 and none have shown up since. I have every tower hacked so everything should be revealed, right?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Ularg posted:

It looks better because it is now in letterbox.
He already wrote about the Instagram filter.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

KirbyKhan posted:

I don't even know what you two are arguing about anymore. You both agree it is a badly written scene, but Coyo7e is extra angry because...?

I mean it is a cliche at this point in noir for first meet to be macho size up. Putting screws on people helping you to show the audience that person is hard if you don't want the bother of antagonist or outside obstacles to clutter up the scene. Other poster even provided referances in other media doing the exact same thing. Perfectly in character of GrimSperg Batman to do it by the Wiki Howto Book of ~social engineering~ . Quabec Dragon Tattoo proves her worth by quoting the internet article he got that from. Nothing in this scene screams mysogyny or women hating.

I mean, if you want the French Lady Autist to mace and ball kick Aiden as your head cannon, go ahead, but stop being so angry bro.

This is a little old, but I read the whole spergy slapfight. You're pretty much bang on the money, someone assumed Aiden was being a dick because "woman" despite that it happened in skyfall to another bloke. Also how you react could completely be dependent on where you grew up. I know where I grew up that the whole neck grab to intimidate thing was common and yes, the general response was to stare the fucker down and show you don't give a gently caress.

All in all, if Aiden grabbed another dudes neck people wouldn't be complaining, they'd be writing slashfic by now. And yes, I watched the scene in question.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

What's the deal with the Missing Persons sidequest? I found 3 and none have shown up since. I have every tower hacked so everything should be revealed, right?

There is one ctOS tower you can only get through the story that reveals a couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

dogstile posted:

I know where I grew up that the whole neck grab to intimidate thing was common and yes, the general response was to stare the fucker down and show you don't give a gently caress.

Someone touching your neck and you don't start a completely unnecessary fight why I never..

NESguerilla posted:

Just not in the case of Watch Dogs though? It just looked like he was throwing a lovely instagram filter on it or bumping up the contrast on his TV.

I dunno, I haven't tried it yet so I can't speak from experience. What you see in that video is just one particular preset. But like I said, it's adds some post processing shader effects and that should pretty much be self explanatory for people who are interested in that sort of thing.

Catpiss Neverclean posted:

I think there's supposed to be six bodies, and then you unlock a mission. I assume they'd all be on the map, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe try googling for missing person locations, or something?

e: http://segmentnext.com/2014/05/27/watch-dogs-missing-persons-locations-darkness-looms-guide/

Maybe this will help.

• Locked thread