Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gotta keep an eye on the durability though.

Smelter is one of the harder bosses in the game, once you beat him it'll likely be smooth sailing through the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inspector_666 posted:

Like I said, I think it's just because the Drangleic Sword is so good that I'm not happy. I mean, that thing will 2-shot Alonne Knights and the thrusting heavy attack comes out super fast and will knock an enemy back enough that I can always connect with the follow up slashing heavy, and generally that means I've killed everything I fight.

Most fully upgraded weapons are going to two-shot Alonne knights if you have the right stats/infusions/whatever. It's probably the easiest gauge for damage in the game to tell if the weapon will be able to carry you through the end or not. Once you're at that point it's all about moveset.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

1 extra slot is hardly a tradeoff for the bonus 20% power compared to every other enchantment in the game, and casts barely matter at all thanks to herbs. Even as a phantom, 2 casts will probably last you long enough to do whatever it is you're doing.

Uh, it kinda is. You could be attuning a whole nother spell, which is way better than a bit of a damage increase. Not to mention res wep lasts 30 seconds less.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The only downside of resonant weapon is the soul cost and the fact that you can't attune it without a ring if you filled all your slots with one slot spells. The extra slot is nothing.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Control Volume posted:

The only downside of resonant weapon is the soul cost and the fact that you can't attune it without a ring if you filled all your slots with one slot spells. The extra slot is nothing.

No Hexer is going to fill their slots with one slot spells because no Hex actually only takes up just one slot, EXCEPT Dark Weapon (and Dark Orb) :shepicide:

Hexing is slot intensive yo

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
I am so goddamn bad at the game that it took me more tries for Pursuer's second fight than to beat the Smelter.
:negative:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

So the Bat Staff's poison effect is supposed to be melee only? Guess the Batfart tactic got shut down, though I never did enough serious PvP to run into it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

No Hexer is going to fill their slots with one slot spells because no Hex actually only takes up just one slot, EXCEPT Dark Weapon (and Dark Orb) :shepicide:

Hexing is slot intensive yo

To be fair I haven't done a hex-focused build because magic is lame and for wimps.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Control Volume posted:

To be fair I haven't done a hex-focused build because magic is lame and for wimps.

Most Hexes are 2 or 3 slots so yeah, you see where the 1 slot versus 2 slot consideration of Dark versus Resonant becomes extremely non-trivial :v:

Edit: One Hex is even four slots!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scraps of Life and Lifedrain Patch, aka the two best hexes.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Genocyber posted:

Scraps of Life and Lifedrain Patch, aka the two best hexes.

I never found Scraps of Life all that useful personally but Lifedrain is legit.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Luisfe posted:

I am so goddamn bad at the game that it took me more tries for Pursuer's second fight than to beat the Smelter.

I had an easy time with Smelter Demon but the second Pursuer was way harder for me. His single horizontal swipe attack really pissed me off (the quick one).

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If they're nerfing spells you'd think they nerf the lightning spear line. GLS is fairly close to GRS in power (will probably be the same or even surpass it now that GRS and the Abyss ring are being nerfed), has more casts, 1 att, no soul cost. Only downside is slower casting speed.

For PVE it'd probably reduce the idiot summons that do nothing but spam lightning spears, for PVP it'd probably reduce the idiot gankers that etc.

Seriously, more gankers pack GLS than they go GRS.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Almost all those changes are driven by pvp so that's likely why GLS wasn't touched.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Control Volume posted:

Most fully upgraded weapons are going to two-shot Alonne knights if you have the right stats/infusions/whatever. It's probably the easiest gauge for damage in the game to tell if the weapon will be able to carry you through the end or not. Once you're at that point it's all about moveset.

That was at +1 with no infusion, but my guy is STR/DEX focused.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Almost all those changes are driven by pvp so that's likely why GLS wasn't touched.

This is exactly it, they're nerfing the things people complain about.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Freja get anything different about the fight at ng+ because on the one hand I want Moonlight on the other hand I don't like punching myself in the balls repeatedly for hours.

Control Volume posted:

I wonder why flame weapon is getting hit. Isn't it exactly the same as dark/sunlight weapon?

Also haha all the stuff on my two characters is getting nerfed. :v:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Luisfe posted:

Pursuer is a bitch and a half. Once you've finished the game it's a lot easier to fight because you've learned how to beat the other 20 "big enemy that swings a big weapon around which you must use invincibility frames to dodge through" bosses, but right after Last Giant it was horrible for me. Even the tiny one in Smelter Demon's arena wasn't fun to fight by then.

Of course it doesn't help that you can't summon anyone for Pursuer without getting killed by your "friends" on the stupid ballistas every. Single. Time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roll to the right. Congratulations, you have now dodged every single attack the Pursuer can do.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alternatively, if you have a bit of dex already, put that buckler to use and parry his rear end every single time he attacks.

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Control Volume posted:

Alternatively, if you have a bit of dex already, put that buckler to use and parry his rear end every single time he attacks.

And if you start as a swordsman, you have a curved sword for parrying from the word go.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Pursuer is a bitch and a half. Once you've finished the game it's a lot easier to fight because you've learned how to beat the other 20 "big enemy that swings a big weapon around which you must use invincibility frames to dodge through" bosses, but right after Last Giant it was horrible for me. Even the tiny one in Smelter Demon's arena wasn't fun to fight by then.

Of course it doesn't help that you can't summon anyone for Pursuer without getting killed by your "friends" on the stupid ballistas every. Single. Time.

I did the alternate Pursuer fight - go go Ring of Blades :D

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Once you figure Pursuer out you end up wondering why you thought he was such an intense fight since all his poo poo is super predictable and easy to parry, to boot. Then the game throws two at you

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
loving hell smelter demon is hard as a pure dex build. My little blades are doing sweet gently caress all damage to him, and even if i summon for it, most people just die stupidly to him.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
For my dex/pyro character I had enough attunement to bring toxic and poison mists and traded for Mytha's blade before it, so my process was cast toxic mist, poke with Mytha's until the toxic started, then cast poison mist because there'd be enough built up from Mytha's that the poison would kick in right away.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Perhaps poison is the key then.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
You might wanna powerstance because shields will do you no good unless you use a Gyrm shield or something with at least 50% fire resist

not to mention some the rest of your gear and flash sweat and orange burr

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
The thing with Flame Weapon is that you don't need any Int or Fth to use it, and it gives a buff equivalent to that of CMW and Sunlight Blade. So why should it be as strong as either?

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
^^ I wonder what stat will effect the duration of spells in the upcoming hotfix because if it's int/fth I don't see how flame weapon would be any good (or any pyromancy with duration tied to it).

drat, good thing they're nerfing Syan's Halberd. I use it all the time and I've 3-hit stun locked people to death more often than I'd like. The 3rd swing when 2-handing it might be missing some animation frames since it comes out really fast. Hopefully it'll encourage people to use it more as a counter hit weapon than an instant-death weapon.

burntpork fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 30, 2014

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Alan Smithee posted:

You might wanna powerstance because shields will do you no good unless you use a Gyrm shield or something with at least 50% fire resist

I always thought the Gyrm shield was like a comedy option... but it's so good against the Smelter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

woodenchicken posted:

I always thought the Gyrm shield was like a comedy option... but it's so good against the Smelter.

I honestly don't know how effective it is in the field since I didn't have the strength to use it when I had one. I've only used it for Guardian Dragon and that was a huge mistake because he staggers you after the first breath and the second damage is more than likely to kill you. If you're lucky you'll get knocked down with 10% of your health left.

Good luck trying to roll with that thing

WatchTHIS
Oct 26, 2010

Violent action ensues.
Here’s my overly literal take on the patch notes.

Bat Staff - altered to only do poison damage on melee attack, will no longer do poison damage on spell use.
Avelyn - ‘motion,’ and damage amount from strengthening adjusted.
Syan’s Halberd - ‘motion,’ and damage amount adjusted.
Santier’s Spear - damage amount, and stamina damage amount from strengthening adjusted.
Pursuer’s Ultra-greatsword - ‘motion’ adjusted.
Cale’s Leather Armor – Cale’s Shoes - parameters adjusted.
Abyss Seal – Bonus to Dark Magic adjusted.
Great Resonant Soul – Damage amount adjusted.
Wrath of the Gods – Damage amount adjusted.
Resonant Weapon – Damage Increase amount adjusted.
Flame Weapon – Damage Increase amount adjusted.
Thrusting Sword Category Weapons – Motion adjusted.
Greataxe Category Weapons – Powerstance Motion changed. (変更 vs. 調整)
Curved Sword Category Weapons – Parry animation (lit. motion) adjusted.
Spell based Weapon Enchantment – Balance altered. (Or, depending on spell, weapon enchantment balance adjusted.)
Spell ‘Length of Effect’ Amount – now altered to appear on the status menu, will change with amount.

They throw around ‘motion’ a lot without ever really defining it. The only other example I could find of From using it was one from the Ver. 1.04 notes from Dark Souls that says ローリングのモーションの変化が"未満"から"以下"に変更になった or that the “Rolling Motion changes are now decided at ‘not exceeding’ instead of ‘less than’.” So I assume it has more to do with animations/frames as opposed to any other particular of the item being altered.

Only the Greataxe powerstance animation is being ‘changed’ instead of ‘altered' or 'adjusted’ so expect something more significant than the rest, maybe.

Otherwise, the above is about as much information as we are being provided at the moment.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Motioning to ban referring to the Bat Staff henceforth as anything other than "wand flying rat" weapon.

Motion granted.

Sven posted:

Perhaps poison is the key then.

No, it wasn't the key, but poison is the cure.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

not to mention some the rest of your gear and flash sweat and orange burr

I have been power stancing with dual +5 falchions. They seem pretty much useless against this guy because its not strike damage. I guess i could put some souls into a mace or something just to get passed this one boss, but god drat. Oh well, consolation prize was destroying a red invader throwing knives at me when i went to de-stone straid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Sven posted:

I have been power stancing with dual +5 falchions. They seem pretty much useless against this guy because its not strike damage. I guess i could put some souls into a mace or something just to get passed this one boss, but god drat. Oh well, consolation prize was destroying a red invader throwing knives at me when i went to de-stone straid.

Smelter is optional btw, if you wanna just move on you can come back later when you have better Fire gear/spells

Iron Keep has some lying around. Ironically the best fire gear is Smelter set. Next best thing is alonne ninjas if im not mistaken.

Falchions might be a little weak, I don't know if you've maxed em out, but if you have points to spare on STR you could always try greatswords, they are a nice compromise

There's also just summoning, because coop makes it that much easier. You do less damage sure, but you should be able to get at least one STR guy or one magic user and SD can't track well when there's multiple players. Most bosses can't really

Sven
Oct 4, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

Smelter is optional btw, if you wanna just move on you can come back later when you have better Fire gear/spells

Iron Keep has some lying around. Ironically the best fire gear is Smelter set. Next best thing is alonne ninjas if im not mistaken.

Falchions might be a little weak, I don't know if you've maxed em out, but if you have points to spare on STR you could always try greatswords, they are a nice compromise

There's also just summoning, because coop makes it that much easier. You do less damage sure, but you should be able to get at least one STR guy or one magic user and SD can't track well when there's multiple players. Most bosses can't really

Yeah, i know its optional, but i'm mad at video games now and probably wont go to sleep until i beat this dude. I'm summoning heaps and they just keep dying stupidly, it's been a really bad run. I even tried it with Lucatiel and she got stuck outside the fog gate :argh: my plan now is to use effigy's and put excess points into strength until i can do some decent strike damage.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The correct way to do a DEX playthrough is to Soul Vessel to a Strength build, marvel at how you are able to flatten and annihilate everything, then Soul Vessel after getting the Washing Pole or whatever DEX weapons you want and wonder why the hell you even bothered, with weapons that fall apart in two hits and have the damage output of a flea.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
Managed to find a sunbro with a big rear end club. Things went swimingly.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Cryohazard posted:

The thing with Flame Weapon is that you don't need any Int or Fth to use it, and it gives a buff equivalent to that of CMW and Sunlight Blade. So why should it be as strong as either?

On the other hand, the damage kinda evens out since Fth and Int builds receive higher bonus damage due to scaling, which are then amplified with the buffs. Pure pyromancy builds get like +15 scaling at best, so the 50 + 30% increase from Flame Weapon isn't that much compared to Fth/Int builds with +200 lightning/magic bonuses. But I can agree that pyromancy doesn't have to be equally strong compared to sorcery and miracles since you can invest more levels into vigor/stamina/etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got to the end? I think? Was that the end? :confused:

Also I guess I should have worn something more appropriate: