Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I wish every loving boomer was dead for propagating this bullshit that home ownership is an investment rather than a place to loving live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Ban all buy to let mortgages.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Cool, in 30 years I'll be in my 50's and have a grizzled voice that will inspire the proletariat to communism. Success is just around the corner, comrades. :smith:

Plus I can drink a whole pint of Tennent's in one go so I'm at least twice as electable as Nigel Farage.

Edit: I've obviously been drinking too much on my day off because I just realised that that's 16 years from now, not 30.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 29, 2014

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The future's bleak - the future's Blue.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Betjeman posted:

We could start by seizing all unoccupied houses and converting them into publicly owned and run social housing.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

No class except elites! Then, R E V O L U T I O N.

Revolution, aka Turnover: the process whereby old worn out proles are replaced with new ones, to continue serving the bourgeois master race until the end of time.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Political/financial predictions with a 30 year timeframe aren't terribly meaningful or even likely to be worth the ink spent typing them out. Events and all that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Political/financial predictions with a 30 year timeframe aren't terribly meaningful or even likely to be worth the ink spent typing them out. Events and all that.

Sixteen year time frame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gonzo McFee posted:

Cool, in 30 years I'll be in my 50's and have a grizzled voice that will inspire the proletariat to communism. Success is just around the corner, comrades. :smith:

Plus I can drink a whole pint of Tennent's in one go so I'm at least twice as electable as Nigel Farage.

Edit: I've obviously been drinking too much on my day off because I just realised that that's 16 years from now, not 30.

Also, thirty years from now you'll be one of the people that gets revolted against.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Also, thirty years from now you'll be one of the people that gets revolted against.

Given my career path I doubt it.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Drone_Fragger posted:

I wish every loving boomer was dead for propagating this bullshit that home ownership is an investment rather than a place to loving live.

It's just about making money without having to work, i.e. what literally everyone dreams of. The system is broken, but since everyone looks out for number one, it's really not worthwhile to go pointing fingers, "why weren't you more altruistic?".

I think there's some sort of parallels to be drawn to the development of agriculture post-industrialisation.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sixteen year time frame.

30 years, not 2030.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Peel posted:

30 years, not 2030.

Drinking and posting: Never once.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Betjeman posted:

Labour should say they're going to extend Thatcher's Right to Buy scheme to private tenants. The wailing and gnashing of teeth from buy to let landlords would be glorious to behold.

I mean, they won't of course, and they won't build enough new social housing. But if they promised that I might even vote for them.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

That would be really interesting. Perhaps if you had lived in a property for a certain length of time you would be able to buy the property at a reasonable market price. The problem being that you would be kicked out by the landlord before that time.

And it doesn't solve the problem of lack of supply.

Perhaps the answer is to make investment in the real economy (r&d, construction, manufacturing healthcare etc) more attractive that buy to let investment. Hell I would buy the poo poo out government R&D bonds, funding universities, research sites and spin out companies with returns from inventions and innovations.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Huh. Rennard has finally admitted that fondling people is not OK.so before the election, it was UKIP suffering from foot n mouth, no the Lib Dems are ripping themselves apart. Why can't we ave a good old fashioned Tory scandal? Equal coverage and all that.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Sorry for the doubling up, but QT promises to be epic throw poo poo at the telly, either Piers Morgan and Joey Barton. gently caress knows if any actual politicians are going to bother showing up.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
What the gently caress is with Joey Barton's faux-intellectualism schtick?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

thehustler posted:

Beats me. First I've heard of him. Aaand Morgan comes out for UKIP straight out of the gate.

E:OK, Morgan was just being provocative, and is winding up the UKIP woman like mad. Joey Barton comment about '4 ugly women, and I pick the least ugly' is definitely going to get him deep in the poo poo.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 29, 2014

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Trickjaw posted:

Beats me. First I've heard of him. Aaand Morgan comes out for UKIP straight out of the gate.

E:OK, Morgan was just being provocative, and is winding up the UKIP woman like mad. Joey Barton comment about '4 ugly women, and I pick the least ugly' is definitely going to get him deep in the poo poo.

Footballer asked question about not-football, ends up saying something sexist, nobody shocked. I didn't hear the comment, but if even the audience reckons it is, well, they're rarely paragons of progress. Why the poo poo is he even on there, so he can string a sentence together, it's not like he brings anything insightful?

Alecto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 29, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

thehustler posted:

He's not actually a terrible person, he tries to pay attention to things and was easily the best part of the football on homophobia special that was nothing but a pitch for the hosts career otherwise, he's just not bright enough to not sound like an idiot sometime. Also he's a hipster.

That and the guy should probably never "finish" his anger management therapy because you can time the meltdowns reasonably accurately after each course he finishes.

Alecto posted:

Why the poo poo is he even on there,

Said Fashanu special was the moment people went "wow, he's not just a thug", and so people massively overexpected what insight an alcoholic footballer can provide because he did something pretty cool once.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

:spergin: Tennent's isn't real ale.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
On the upside, a nation of renters will mean that the Tories will never be voted in again, ever. Why the gently caress would somebody in an insecure job, in an insecure tenancy, with no chance of anything better, ever vote Conservative?

(they might vote Ukip, I suppose)

Engage!
Apr 21, 2011
Hoping Joey goes on one of his headbutt rampages before the end of the show

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Umiapik posted:

On the upside, a nation of renters will mean that the Tories will never be voted in again, ever. Why the gently caress would somebody in an insecure job, in an insecure tenancy, with no chance of anything better, ever vote Conservative?

I dunno, ask our electorate.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Ooh Barton playing a blinders. He doesn't want a 3rd runway at Heathrow, as he lives near there, so gently caress the people of Crowley, do it at Gatwick, they seem to want it. Huh?

He really shouldn't be there, for his own good. Also, how old is he? He looks about as old as me, and that not football playing age.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

thehustler posted:

He copy and pastes quotes on his twitter feed.

Also, reminder that he put a cigar out in some ones eye.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fluo posted:

:spergin: Tennent's isn't real ale.

It will be once we otherthrow the CAMRA

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Jippa posted:

He copy and pastes quotes on his twitter feed.

Also, reminder that he put a cigar out in some ones eye.

Did he really?

Jesus wept, what an arsehole.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

quote:

Meanwhile, research showed that central London property prices have risen by £729 a day over the last year.
A friend of mine bought a house with subsidence in London a few weeks ago. When the survey came back showing it was subsiding they almost got cold feet. Then they realised that, in the time it would take them to find a new place, average prices would have risen by more than the (substantial) cost of getting the subsidence treated. So they went ahead and bought it anyway.

quote:

We cheerled the rise of property prices not realising that it would destroy, if not our own lives, but the lives of our children.
No, this has been really loving obvious since the late 1990s to anyone with the capacity to think more than five years ahead, and to realise that if house prices carry on rising faster than wages then eventually Bad Things will happen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I actually think the politics of house prices are going to get quite interesting in the next ten to twenty years. The only way most young people can afford to buy is with a big dollop of cash from their parents, and the only way most parents can afford to provide that dollop is to sell their existing home, which has appreciated in value enormously.

That's fine if you have one child, but it works less and less well the more kids you have. If you have two children then you have to split your house three ways, effectively (cos you need somewhere to live too, remember). Some people I know in their early 50s, who have (on paper) done very well out of rising prices in London and the South East, are just now beginning to realise what a massive problem this is now that their own kids are entering the workforce and finding that they're paying £800 a month to rent a windowless closet twenty minutes from a Tube stop somewhere in Zone 5.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 30, 2014

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Crane Fist posted:

It will be once we otherthrow the CAMRA

I think this is one case where entryism would be a good thing

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Zephro posted:

That's fine if you have one child, but it works less and less well the more kids you have. If you have two children then you have to split your house three ways, effectively (cos you need somewhere to live too, remember). Some people I know in their early 50s, who have (on paper) done very well out of rising prices in London and the South East, are just now beginning to realise what a massive problem this is now that their own kids are entering the workforce and finding that they're paying £800 a month to rent a windowless closet twenty minutes from a Tube stop somewhere in Zone 5.

Articles on this very subject are now regularly appearing in the Telegraph, where posh journalists have switched from gloating over their house price gains to indignantly complaining that neither they nor their children can afford to live in London any more. Here's a good example:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100075127/house-prices-will-destroy-the-british-class-system/

(Note also the usual rather amusing Telegraph ideas about what "middle-class" actually means...)

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Umiapik posted:

Articles on this very subject are now regularly appearing in the Telegraph, where posh journalists have switched from gloating over their house price gains to indignantly complaining that neither they nor their children can afford to live in London any more. Here's a good example:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100075127/house-prices-will-destroy-the-british-class-system/

(Note also the usual rather amusing Telegraph ideas about what "middle-class" actually means...)

From that article:

quote:

The ability to buy a house and pay for private school fees is now beyond the pockets of all but a very few.

Won't someone please think of Tarquin and Jacintha, slumming it at a school with a bunch of bloody poors?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Time to go back to 'one for the land, one for the army, one for the clergy and pray for no more' - hurrah, the Middle Ages are here again, time for us to tug our forelocks as the Gentils goeth along ye roade.

God forbid someone said 'hey, this is a problem' when it was just the poor who couldn't buy houses! I can foresee this 'squeezed middle' rhetoric being applied higher and higher up the social ladder. Oh won't someone thing of the poor families struggling on a quarter of a million a year!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Zephro posted:

Some people I know in their early 50s, who have (on paper) done very well out of rising prices in London and the South East, are just now beginning to realise what a massive problem this is now that their own kids are entering the workforce and finding that they're paying £800 a month to rent a windowless closet twenty minutes from a Tube stop somewhere in Zone 5.

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Umiapik posted:

I'm curious - what do you think "middle-class" means?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.
Absolutely, but these are people making very high salaries and who assumed the appreciation of property would let them pass on the benefits to their kids.

Also, 25 or 30 years ago, you COULD afford to rent a decent place in London straight out of university. That did a lot to help turn the city's declining population around in the 1980s.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

The middle class concept is so ridiculously vague that people will distort it to fit whatever argument they want. The Telegraph clearly believes that if you are not a millionaire, but are above subsistence existence, you are middle class.

Having a 3 tiered class system is obviously idiotic, even 4 (with the addition of upper/lower) doesn't work. Arguably we still live in a two class society - those who invest for a living and those who must work for a living.

Or we live in a "classless" society, which really means that we have a whole spectrum of classes that merge together and overlap, but still have a pecking order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Betjeman posted:

There's another problem, of course, which is London's general dominance of the UK. There are many industries where if you have any ambition to succeed London is the only place you can go. It's all very well when people say that house prices in Cumbria have barely moved and that £60,000 will buy you a perfectly decent two-bed terraced house. The problem is no-one wants to live in Cumbria because there's nothing to do.

I don't know whether it's easier to fix London's housing crisis or fix the UK's city-state-itis, but there's no political will to do either.

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread