Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The power blades are honestly so I can only buy 2 models and not have to mix and match buying 4 Castellax; likewise 50 points of the Praetor is spent on Warsmith+Cortex. He's a big investment but the Castellax are a big part of the list so I think it's worth it.

You would probably get more bang for your buck with the targeting arrays, BS5 is no joke, the -1 to cover saves is handy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

jng2058 posted:

What we're playing on the battlefield every time we play 40k with Marines in it is when something's gone wrong, because Marines don't want to be in a fight that's 1850 vs 1850. They want to have 1850 in Marines vs 500 in very surprised Orks. If you're fighting 1850 vs 1850 it means the situation is so desperate that an even odds fight is the best they can manage, or they're fighting someone as good. Like Chaos Marines with ten thousand years of experience, say. Or some Eldar muthafucka who looks into the future and gets there first. Or there are so many fuckin' Bugs that it took tactical brilliance to maneuver yourself an even odds chance to blow up that Hive Node. All you need to do is get past that Hive Tyrant and all his buggy friends...

In short, every battle we players fight out is generally the critical point of a much larger action. It's where one side or the other will make a crucial breakthrough. Where some irreplaceable weak point in the Defense Laser network is just off the board. It's about access to the Necrons' main control node, or the entrance to the crashed Rok that if you can just get past these guys in your way you can rig the thing to explode and cripple the enemy force.

I really want to try writing up a field evacuate mission now; flyerspam deployment, Marines deploy 6" either side from the centre of the table, attackers have a 12" deployment. The marines have to get X amount/points' worth of units within 6" of the opposite short table edge to the attacker's deployment to win, to simulate a fighting retreat which they should be able to manage with no complaints thanks to the Rapid Fire buff and Snap Fire from 6th and 7th :v:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm currently re-doing my Dire Avenger scheme and I ginned up a rough (unfinished) test model. What do you think of this?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Boon posted:

I'm currently re-doing my Dire Avenger scheme and I ginned up a rough (unfinished) test model. What do you think of this?

Looks good. Is that a pastel yellow or a bone color you've got going on there for the helmet and such? It seems like it could be either depending on which way the picture's colors are going.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
It's (dark to light) Balor Brown > Karak Stone > Ushabti Bone. The brown doesn't blend the best so I tried to minimize it's impact.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I like it but I think it would really pop with a judiciously-applied warm color. Maybe some red or yellow on his shuriken gun?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I just realised that Commissars will only summarily execute a nearby psyker if it looks like they'll summon a daemon by accident. If the psyker summons them on purpose they're fine with it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Tyranids aren't that worrisome in the psychic phase because all of their psykers are 170+ points or Zoanthropes which are in the most hotly-contested FOC slot, granted that's not much of an issue anymore now that we can have as many FOCs as we like. Still, having more than one Zoanthrope per brood is a bad idea because they're a Brotherhood so you don't get extra dice.

Maybe back a couple editions when more transports were being taken and hive guard didn't have a nerf and ymgarl genestealers/doom were still a thing the elite slot was being filled. Now-a-days, not so much.

Zoanthropes only get one dice, but are still good in broods. Three powers (I guess; warp blast+random+primaris) and they provide some nice AP2 shooting for anti-vehicle.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Power Player posted:

Yeah, regarding Overwatch, it was sort of just "here, whoever is getting assaulted gets a buff, flat-out." There's no choice there. They couldn't have made a rule like the new Jink rule that has a tradeoff for Overwatching? Like you then strike at Initiative 1 in that same combat or something

2nd ed over watch was great in this regard. You forwent shooting in your turn in order to shoot during your opponents turn.

Something like this would be a great way to balance assaulting from outflank. Guys know that they might be ambushed so they take the chance by going on over watch. They get to shoot at full BS but it could go to waste if the out flankers don't appear or appear elsewhere on the battlefield. It's not an automatic bonus. It's a tactical decision.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The power blades are honestly so I can only buy 2 models and not have to mix and match buying 4 Castellax; likewise 50 points of the Praetor is spent on Warsmith+Cortex. He's a big investment but the Castellax are a big part of the list so I think it's worth it.

Just pretend they have shock chargers? It's obviously your call, but Kyr Vahlen costs less points, comes with a cortex controller, and a bunch of other cool poo poo.

e: or take Golg and throw a cortex controller onto him for an extra 15 points. For less points you get the Iron Warrior rite of war, terminator troops, extra armour on everything, hammer of wrath for your cataphracts, and everybody is leadership 9

Hencoe posted:

You would probably get more bang for your buck with the targeting arrays, BS5 is no joke, the -1 to cover saves is handy too.

This guy knows what's up

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 30, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I liked 2nd edition overwatch but seriously sometimes the game was literally "Move, Everything I have declares overwatch". That was kind of annoying. Also, popup jetbikes, gently caress those guys.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

adamantium|wang posted:

I just realised that Commissars will only summarily execute a nearby psyker if it looks like they'll summon a daemon by accident. If the psyker summons them on purpose they're fine with it.

Which is hilarious when you realize that you can't ever summon a daemon with a Perils roll...

HiveCommander posted:

I really want to try writing up a field evacuate mission now; flyerspam deployment, Marines deploy 6" either side from the centre of the table, attackers have a 12" deployment. The marines have to get X amount/points' worth of units within 6" of the opposite short table edge to the attacker's deployment to win, to simulate a fighting retreat which they should be able to manage with no complaints thanks to the Rapid Fire buff and Snap Fire from 6th and 7th :v:

That sounds pretty fun, actually. See the whole "use Unbound to forge a narrative" is doubly dumb. Not only does it unbalance the game, but it doesn't really do a good job of making an interesting story. Scenario design, like the Escape from Space New York mission here is what makes for good narrative, not building an army made only of Wraithknights and Wraithlords!

Ignite Memories posted:

I posit that a Rok cannot crash - it can only land.

You say to-MAY-to, I say to-MAH-to...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

lovestick posted:

THE DARK WORLD OF NECROMUNDA - THE GAME LINKED TO THE MURDER

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2642604/War-games-fanatic-plunged-carving-knife-chest-neck-love-rival-spying-wife.html

Jack Chick was right in Dark Dungeons!

I feel like this isn't getting enough love, seriously. I bet anything this guy turns out to be a member of Dakkadakka. To bad the guy didn't roll flesh wound. I apologize.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 30, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
ETC players are jerks. Stacking our terrain up like they just dont give a gently caress about it. gently caress.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Just pretend they have shock chargers? It's obviously your call, but Kyr Vahlen costs less points, comes with a cortex controller, and a bunch of other cool poo poo.

e: or take Golg and throw a cortex controller onto him for an extra 15 points. For less points you get the Iron Warrior rite of war, terminator troops, extra armour on everything, hammer of wrath for your cataphracts, and everybody is leadership 9

I actually emailed Forgeworld (about a different topic) but the response they gave me was 'named characters can't alter their wargear unless it's explicitly stated'. It's definitely more points than I want to spend but it's the only way to do what I was trying to. I'll mess around with Golg theory crafting (if I take Golg and no Castellax the difference is basically another Term squad) and see which I like more.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

DJ Dizzy posted:

ETC players are jerks. Stacking our terrain up like they just dont give a gently caress about it. gently caress.
ETC players? What's all this then? I am guessing some dudes are just wrecking your club's terrain because they are dumbasses?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Huh so uh Drop Pod armies are a little crazy. Just had my rear end handed to me on Vassal by one. There's no you gotta put some poo poo on the board rule anymore?

First turn game ended, he just put all his drop pods on every single goddamn objective on the board. Dedicated transports get objective secured. That's some bullshit.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'm pretty sure you still need at least one model on the board at game start.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't see poo poo about it in the rulebook.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hollismason posted:

Huh so uh Drop Pod armies are a little crazy. Just had my rear end handed to me on Vassal by one. There's no you gotta put some poo poo on the board rule anymore?

First turn game ended, he just put all his drop pods on every single goddamn objective on the board. Dedicated transports get objective secured. That's some bullshit.

I thought drop pods had in their entry that they can never score or contest, which overrides Objective Secured.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hollismason posted:

Nope.

Hollismason posted:

Yep.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'm pretty sure you still need at least one model on the board at game start.

Nope.

Hencoe posted:

I thought drop pods had in their entry that they can never score or contest, which overrides Objective Secured.

Nope.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 30, 2014

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!

adamantium|wang posted:

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Nope.

This guy knows what is loving up.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Von Humboldt posted:

ETC players? What's all this then? I am guessing some dudes are just wrecking your club's terrain because they are dumbasses?

We had the danish national team over at our club for practice, and they basically just stacked and threw our terrain on the shelves after they were done with it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, Drop Pods used to have such a restriction, but with the 6th Edition Marines book, it was left out. After all, no vehicle could score, so why put in a redundant rule? And of course they thought to throw in a Drop Pod exception for 7th Edition, right? No, of course not. They were careless and will likely never FAQ it. :cripes:

So yeah, Drop Pods are us!

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I know they didn't have that rule in 6E or 5E, and I sure don't remember it from the 4E book (although it might have been there.) In either case, that was rather a long time ago.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Bavius posted:

This guy knows what is loving up.

Nope :v:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

AbusePuppy posted:

I know they didn't have that rule in 6E or 5E, and I sure don't remember it from the 4E book (although it might have been there.) In either case, that was rather a long time ago.

Pretty sure it was 4th, and that'd have been around 6 years or so.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

jng2058 posted:

Pretty sure it was 4th, and that'd have been around 6 years or so.

4e Space Marines book was 2004, and I just checked- no "always not scoring" rule. I think that might've been part of the base rules at that point, though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

LordAba posted:

Maybe back a couple editions when more transports were being taken and hive guard didn't have a nerf and ymgarl genestealers/doom were still a thing the elite slot was being filled. Now-a-days, not so much.

Zoanthropes only get one dice, but are still good in broods. Three powers (I guess; warp blast+random+primaris) and they provide some nice AP2 shooting for anti-vehicle.

Venomthropes are fantastic, and Hive Guard are still one of our only forms of high strength shooting without being a Tyrannofex and 200+ points, or an easily failed/denied psychic power that still has to roll to hit. Ignoring Jink saves is also pretty valuable, even despite their BS nerf and price rise.

Zoanthropes are ML2 Brotherhoods, so they generate 2 dice.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Just "finished" my friend's 2nd Monolith he gave me free rein to paint. Pretty easy and enjoyable to paint overall; painted with sponges for the first time and pretty much just jumped in by doing a test paint on one of the gun arrays. Made the gold paint from scratch from VMA Aluminum and Daler Rowney FW Burnt Umber Ink. I know it really needs some wash on the gold in the recesses and then a dry brush of a lighter gold on the edges but I'm kinda burned out doing any more painting on it right now; I've been powering through it for the past 3 days that way it would be done by Saturday when my group will be playing. I also got to test the light box I built.

I might adapt the sponge painting for my Blood Angels because I can't stand painting solid red and every time I try to get back to them I end up disappointed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HiveCommander posted:

Venomthropes are fantastic, and Hive Guard are still one of our only forms of high strength shooting without being a Tyrannofex and 200+ points, or an easily failed/denied psychic power that still has to roll to hit. Ignoring Jink saves is also pretty valuable, even despite their BS nerf and price rise.

Zoanthropes are ML2 Brotherhoods, so they generate 2 dice.

I agree that venomthropes are worth it, but but running two broods is too much IMO. The changes to zoanthropes and hive guard make the them darn near even: an average of 3 S8AP4 ignore cover vs 2 S10AP2 lance.
The new edition lets zoanthropes can cast 2 powers now I believe. Plus vehicles being a bit more resistant to pen hits. Hive guard are certainly good, but zoanthropes are equal (when last edition hive guard were the no brainer choice).

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Who gives a poo poo about WYSIWYG. I bought some MM Castellax too and I sure as hell won't be counting those saws as power blades.

NovaLion
Jun 2, 2013

REMEMBER

adamantium|wang posted:

Nope.

Yep.

Nope.

Nope.

Finally, I can build my drop pod list and enjoy.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

LordAba posted:

I agree that venomthropes are worth it, but but running two broods is too much IMO. The changes to zoanthropes and hive guard make the them darn near even: an average of 3 S8AP4 ignore cover vs 2 S10AP2 lance.
The new edition lets zoanthropes can cast 2 powers now I believe. Plus vehicles being a bit more resistant to pen hits. Hive guard are certainly good, but zoanthropes are equal (when last edition hive guard were the no brainer choice).

My general TAC list for 7E (at 1850+) is probably going to use the double FOC, with:

3x Zoanthrope broods (with 2 each)
2x Venoms (a single one and a unit of 1-2)
1x Hive Guard (2-3 depending on points)

That's a nice balance between firepower, psychic ability and not giving away an easy First Blood. Multiple venom units let you cover much more of your army, and help avoid needing to clump it up into blast-friendly blobs. The Hive Guard are a bit more reliable than Warp Lance for AV12-13, can attack earlier from a better position, and are much harder for the enemy to remove than a Zoanthrope that has to walk into the open to fire.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cataphract posted:

2nd ed over watch was great in this regard. You forwent shooting in your turn in order to shoot during your opponents turn.

Something like this would be a great way to balance assaulting from outflank. Guys know that they might be ambushed so they take the chance by going on over watch. They get to shoot at full BS but it could go to waste if the out flankers don't appear or appear elsewhere on the battlefield. It's not an automatic bonus. It's a tactical decision.

2nd ed overwatch is the kind of mechanic that makes more sense in the smaller scale that 2nd ed had. Unfortunately when GW increased the model count with 3rd ed, you kinda had to ditch rules like that. I think in theory a "defensive fire" model of overwatch is a good idea, it's just really badly implemented. Flames of War does it a lot better.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
In case anyone was wondering, the relevant rules for needing to deploy models is under 'victory conditions'; you just need to have models on the board at the end of a game turn.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Panzeh posted:

2nd ed overwatch is the kind of mechanic that makes more sense in the smaller scale that 2nd ed had. Unfortunately when GW increased the model count with 3rd ed, you kinda had to ditch rules like that. I think in theory a "defensive fire" model of overwatch is a good idea, it's just really badly implemented. Flames of War does it a lot better.

What's the flames of war implementation?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Saw some Movie Marine stats, and you guys were actually lowballing them motherfuckers. They were totally nuts stats, and 100 points each base, IIRC. Sarge, Special and Heavy were more.

WS6 BS6(?) S6 T6 I6(?) A3 W3 Ld10, armor was 3+ with a reroll IIRC. May have also counted as Invul for shots that were AP3 or better, I can't recall. Grenades were something like S8 AP3 large blasts, the Missile Launcher was a 2-shot lascannon while the lascannon was a S10 AP1 infinite line like AbusePuppy said. They were rending in CC, from combat knives, and the Sarge had a chainsword that counted as a power weapon (ignored all saves at the time, so AP2 equivalent now?). Bolters were S6 AP4, Assault 3, Rending I think. The flamer was some sort of horrendus torrent weapon I think, like AP 3-4. I don't recall them having any other particular special abilities but it's entirely possible they did.

The body doubles sort of broke it because buying 10-15 point extra wounds on a T6, 3+ reroll body was dumb. Otherwise it actually wouldn't be too crazy to just shove into 6-7th edition I imagine. Was really only meant to be a silly scenario thing anyway, but I thought it was pretty hilarious.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TheChirurgeon posted:

What's the flames of war implementation?

It's team-by-team (model) for FoW. Everyone shoots normally, friendly teams close enough can fire even if they're not being directly charged. Means a very spread unit can be hit piecemeal, or several densely packed ones can provide extra fire. Trick is, if the defending unit is "pinned down" (took 5 or more hits that shooting phase; note hits, not wounds/failed saves), then their rate of fire is cut in half. Drops most guns to 1 shot. If the defenders score 5 hits on the enemy infantry then they are driven back, if not then the assault proceeds and combat is fought sort of similarly to 40k. Losing an assault tends to be decisive, and it's one of the only ways to easily shift dug in infantry.

Veteran, concealed, gone to ground FoW infantry is only hit on 6's and has a 3+ save, for example. It's hard to kill, but slow and not usually amazing against armor. Very different dynamic, and there's ways to get them out of cover or pin more easily in the game (recon teams, artillery, air strikes), but assault is the high-risk, high-reward move for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Space Wolf and BA updated; BA doesn't have anything marked on magenta so I dunno if anything actually got changed, but Runic Weapons did. Now it's just +1 to Deny the Witch.

Psychic Cards got a PDF which just changes Banishment to WC1, to match the book.

• Locked thread