Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

F. Lobot posted:

It's perfectly fine and in fact beneficial in a pre-release, reality show styled E3 event with a wacky ruleset (seriously read the rules, in the event of an absolute tie the winner is chosen based on which name the crowd cheers louder) that focuses on fun and is entirely paid for by Nintendo. But in a serious 'For Glory' setting the top 16 needs to be the actual best 16 players available, and demographics can't be a factor or else the integrity is gone and there's no glory in that.

There's integrity - albiet of a different persuasion - in promoting equality, especially if promoting equality has such trivial repercussions as the outcome of a video game tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The main thing is that "before anyone has had a proper chance to play the game" isn't really the time to host a super serious tournament. The primary goal is to let some skilled players loose on the game to exhibit and promote it, not to determine who is the greatest in North America at a game no one outside Nintendo has played.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

There's integrity - albiet of a different persuasion - in promoting equality, especially if promoting equality has such trivial repercussions as the outcome of a video game tournament.

It's not equality if women get a free ride to the top while men have to practice, beat everyone else, and earn their way to grand finals, or semifinals, or anywhere along the way. It's not like a women's league as if women had weaker thumbs or slower reaction times, it's not like minority scholarships as if the women grew up in failing districts that couldn't afford Gamecube controllers. Women are capable of being the best, and in some other games they are, but they're such a small minority in pro Smash to begin with that few have the drive, or are crazy enough, to take it that far.

Not that there aren't serious problems with sexism and hurdles for the women who are interested. Check out the previously mentioned article that the girls@E3 are credited for if you want to know more:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/10/the-voices-of-women-in-the-super-smash-brothers-community/

I don't want to undermine their suffrage, it's real. But slanting tournament brackets won't help anyone. (reminder: I'm talking about hypothetical serious tournaments not the Nintendo E3 event)

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

F. Lobot posted:

Not that there aren't serious problems with sexism and hurdles for the women who are interested. Check out the previously mentioned article that the girls@E3 are credited for if you want to know more:
http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/10/the-voices-of-women-in-the-super-smash-brothers-community/

I don't want to undermine their suffrage, it's real. But slanting tournament brackets won't help anyone. (reminder: I'm talking about hypothetical serious tournaments not the Nintendo E3 event)
If you're referring to hypothetical serious tournaments that don't even exist yet, why is this even an discussion? No women are getting a 'free ride' in serious tournaments for SSB because there aren't any. It *would* be pretty crappy if a player was included in a high stakes serious tournament because of any demographics, but I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

F. Lobot posted:

It's not equality if women get a free ride to the top while men have to practice, beat everyone else, and earn their way to grand finals, or semifinals, or anywhere along the way. It's not like a women's league as if women had weaker thumbs or slower reaction times, it's not like minority scholarships as if the women grew up in failing districts that couldn't afford Gamecube controllers. Women are capable of being the best, and in some other games they are, but they're such a small minority in pro Smash to begin with that few have the drive, or are crazy enough, to take it that far.

The amount of women who gave up on their competitive Smash Bros dream for fear of having to meet and deal with Mew2King in real life is probably non-zero.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I bet that after the final battle of the tournament, a NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING banner flashes. M2K walks on stage and plays the winner using Mewtwo, and that's how they reveal that mewtwo is back in the game

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rooreelooo posted:

I bet that after the final battle of the tournament, a NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING banner flashes. M2K walks on stage and barfs all over the GamePad

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Rooreelooo posted:

I bet that after the final battle of the tournament, a NEW CHALLENGER APPROACHING banner flashes. M2K walks on stage and jizzes all over the GamePad

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just a sentient tornado of bodily fluids and social issues, Gamecube controller hovering threateningly in the centre.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I assume he'll win by default considering the other contestants will pass out from vomiting after seeing that.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
D1 commentating is all that I could ask for

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I too know what the hell a M2K or a D1 is.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

D1 = Dublin 1 postal district of course. Everybody there will be commentating on smash bros.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I too know what the hell a M2K or a D1 is.

A M2K is something you don't want near your couch.

A D1 is 1/3rd of a D3 (Dedede).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F. Lobot posted:

Dude, I want to explain this to you, very slowly.

This is not a serious tournament. It's a goofy promotional thing. There's some appeal being made to pro players, but for the most part it's a commercial first.

Now, maybe seeing women playing this game on that high a level might get some other women to realize that they wouldn't be completely alone if they chose to pursue that, that they won't have to deal with a thousand dumbasses yelling RAPE THAT oval office every time they're on-screen.

It's not 'a free ride to the top', it's an invitational. They never said they were choosing the best players, just players from the competitive scene.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Did HugS seriously quote himself?

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

The Kins posted:

Just a sentient tornado of bodily fluids and social issues, Gamecube controller hovering threateningly in the centre.

The Gamecube mod challenge will return in a literal shitstorm.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Also if it were a real tournament the same women would probably be in it. The only entry barrier is the entry fee. At least two of them I recognize from a documentary about competitive gaming, and the third looks familiar from something.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If it comes to promoting diversity and possibly selling a few of your consoles to women or creating a "fairer" environment for the people who play the "cartoon characters beating each other up amidst fart attacks and banana peels" game competitively, then both for market reasons and for integrity reasons, I'd say the diversity route is better literally every time. Whatever improvements M2K has made in the past few years, if somebody who's rude but incredibly good at game is "the face of the competitive community," it's in everyone's (and especially Nintendo's) best interest to change that fact.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

Endorph posted:

This is not a serious tournament. It's a goofy promotional thing. There's some appeal being made to pro players, but for the most part it's a commercial first.

Now, maybe seeing women playing this game on that high a level might get some other women to realize that they wouldn't be completely alone if they chose to pursue that, that they won't have to deal with a thousand dumbasses yelling RAPE THAT oval office every time they're on-screen.

It's not 'a free ride to the top', it's an invitational. They never said they were choosing the best players, just players from the competitive scene.

This is a good post

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I've never followed competitive Smash beyond knowing a couple of people and learning some of the techs, but Ken's way more prominent to me than M2K is, and I think he'd be a much better at representing the game.

Edit: Also some googling about the current subject says the best Smasher in Australia was female up until around 2006 or so?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

Additionally:

Even if it were a "serious tournament," if it's officially sponsored by the company, then its players, and the way that they act while being recorded, are a matter of some importance and emphasizing diversity over which person can press the buttons the best is actually better for representing the way in which the game should be played and present a better face for video games as a hobby that most of what is done at video game conventions, especially given the disaster that was last year's E3.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

so uh anyway

pretty cool how they at least have the newcomers playable, even if not all the older characters are there. I imagine the toughest one to play will be Rosalina with the luma summoning and poo poo, while Greninja will be EZ Mode

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

drat, wish they would've announced Wario already so that he could take his rightful place as champion at the invitational.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

"Pic of the day. Here's a first look at the bottom-screen display for the Nintendo 3DS. Your name will appear in the area above the accumulated damage. And if you tap one of the fighter displays…!"

"…You can highlight that fighter on your screen. This is useful when you want to get back at a particular opponent. You can also highlight yourself if you need to keep better track of where you are. This is a great benefit to having your own individual screen."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Having to pull your thumb away from the buttons just to highlight a character seems really crappy.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Goat posted:

D1 = Dublin 1 postal district of course. Everybody there will be commentating on smash bros.

It'd be more interesting than golf anyway.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Having to pull your thumb away from the buttons just to highlight a character seems really crappy.

Just tap it when you die, how is it that big of a deal?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Golden Goat posted:

I don't know, I think I'll get some use out of just hitting it to highlight myself at the beginning of the match to make it easier to track who I am. :shobon:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I see that I'm player one so I look at the screen at the start of a fight to spot the "1P" about my character head. It's a nice though to add this to the game but it's not really news or interesting.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

It's a nice though to add this to the game but it's not really news or interesting.

That was the Dojo theme for this month (except Ike).

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They can't all be character updates. I'd expect to wait for any big announcements until after the E3 events.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

An anti character update like the trophies would be more welcome or another tidbit on how certain items or stages would be nice.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Wonder if we're still going to get updates after E3.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
I am very pleased with the commentators they picked for the GIRL INFESTED tournament.

But I feel pretty bad for Hbox, he is one of my favorite smashers and they just cut off his legs by not giving him Jigglypuff. He has some good back up characters but nothing on the level of his Jiggs.

E: When I tried to post this...it said I'm only allowed to post once every 10 seconds...but I havent posted since yesterday soooo. What??

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

New leak, challenger approaching! Man, with all the car commercials and poo poo, Nintendo is really doing some killer product placement.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Space T Rex posted:

I am very pleased with the commentators they picked for the GIRL INFESTED tournament.

But I feel pretty bad for Hbox, he is one of my favorite smashers and they just cut off his legs by not giving him Jigglypuff. He has some good back up characters but nothing on the level of his Jiggs.

E: When I tried to post this...it said I'm only allowed to post once every 10 seconds...but I havent posted since yesterday soooo. What??

Your posts are just so terrible it feels like you post every ten seconds ;)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Quest For Glory II posted:

This is like how that person went to NeoGAF saying "Nintendo didn't invite M2K ergo they DISCRIMINATE AGAINST PEOPLE WITH AUTISM!!" Yall don't even know what their criteria was, or who helped in the curation.

Neogaf truly is the tumblr of gaming forums.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

MinibarMatchman posted:

New leak, challenger approaching! Man, with all the car commercials and poo poo, Nintendo is really doing some killer product placement.

These over-the-top newcomer photoshops are my favorite part of the new Smash Bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

That's what I've been saying this whole time. People want to argue with me because I made an incredulously long post, but go back and you'll see I've been saying everything you just said.

Also consider the context for the original post. It was before the reveal and we weren't sure if this was for fun or for serious, but I never said or implied, "this is wrong, how dare they pick females". I just felt the list was unlikely to be true, for reasons I listed. None of those reasons were the inclusion of females but they all had something suspicious to point out. Milktea is retired/they spelled her name wrong, Peachyhime only plays Project M, Lilo has no tournament record at all (her only listed accomplishment is making an infographic), and Crismas... actually while there are better girls they could have picked, I did a little more research and found she's actually been a nationally mid-placing Melee player since 2009, she just never recorder her matches. My appologies.

Similarly I'm not demanding the redemption of Mew2king, but I fully expected him there. It seemed odd he'd be left out, when Nintendo has been so close with him in the past.

Bicyclops posted:

Additionally:

Even if it were a "serious tournament," if it's officially sponsored by the company, then its players, and the way that they act while being recorded, are a matter of some importance and emphasizing diversity over which person can press the buttons the best is actually better for representing the way in which the game should be played and present a better face for video games as a hobby that most of what is done at video game conventions, especially given the disaster that was last year's E3.

I can't logically agree with this, it's impossible to have both. If there is any preferential treatment or interference, then it is not a serious tournamnent. You can force the top players to behave a certain way, and make other accommodations so that no one feels left out, but it ends there.

However, the rules fly out the window when you're dealing with sponsorships. With Smash on the rise I fully expect some sponsorships for girls, which will allow them to travel to more events, get better, and possibly compete with the world's best.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also some googling about the current subject says the best Smasher in Australia was female up until around 2006 or so?
I was not aware of her, and I'm not sure how big the Australian scene is, but yeah she'd have been a great pick.

Personally, as far as skilled feminine fighters go I would have picked Admiral. Her Ice Climbers have the smoothest movement I've ever seen.
Watch her dominant performance from this past March.
She hasn't been around very long, but she shows incredible promise.

edit: For your enjoyment, here's a video of a girl chaingrabbing Mew2king. I would pick her just for these 12 seconds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxokFBgv8YA

F. Lobot fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread