Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The membership is now eternally divided - those who were around before blackswordca's :yotj:, and those who arrived after. The response to people arriving later and not believing the stories will be, "you don't know man, you weren't there".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Caged posted:

The membership is now eternally divided - those who were around before blackswordca's :yotj:, and those who arrived after. The response to people arriving later and not believing the stories will be, "you don't know man, you weren't there".
It's like the nerd version of 'Nam

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

nexxai posted:

Roy Batty, help desk replicant posted:

I've... answered calls you people wouldn't believe... printers on fire off the corner of Accounts Payable. I watched patch cables dangle in the dark when a sales rep pressed a DO NOT PRESS button in our server rack. All those... end users... will be sending me Word docs with PDFs... of screen shots... of text files. Time... for Lagavulin.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And on leaving the terrible job

"It's too bad they won't learn. But then again who does?"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Today I learned some of you have so many stupid meetings you needed to invent buzzwords for them

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

Lareous posted:

If you take one in Atlanta, don't live too far from work unless you like sitting in traffic for 3+ hours a day.

Yes. Find a place to work and then move as close to that place as possible.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

An email came in from my CEO.

quote:

Subject: Get back to my office asap
Body: I NEED my computer to work. Make this happen. it has been configuring for almost an hr

It was stuck on the Configuring Windows Update screen but fixed itself by the time I stopped what I was doing and drove to the office. She had left for a two-hour meeting anyway.

You know sometimes a please or thank you can go a long way.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
They're not buzzwords until they're misused by people who don't bother to understand their meanings. "Stand-up" for example specifically means a very short team status report to make sure everyone is going in the same direction and bring any potential issues to the attention of the group so that they can be resolved (after the stand-up; "Mike, can you get together with John on that today? Good."). Bad managers will have "stand-ups" that last 3 hours so they can monologue and hold involved design discussions, and they love it because "it says right here in agile 101 that we have to have daily meetings! :haw:" Now it's a buzzword.

It's a design methodology that's very different from the traditional top-down, design-first-code-once (waterfall) method, because that method doesn't work too well for large projects. The terminology can be silly, yes, but it's that way in part in order to distinguish itself from traditional methods.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

nexxai posted:

"Your mission is to proceed to the data center, pick up the network's trail, follow it, learn what you can along the way. When you find the wiring closet, infiltrate the closet by, ahem, whatever means available, and terminate the cable run."

"Terminate, the cable?"

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable cable management. And he is still in the field, pulling wire."

"Terminate, with extreme prejudice."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

wa27 posted:

It was stuck on the Configuring Windows Update screen but fixed itself by the time I stopped what I was doing and drove to the office. She had left for a two-hour meeting anyway.

Somebody explained to me once why windows updates take so long to install, I have forgotten by now.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SubjectVerbObject posted:

"Your mission is to proceed to the data center, pick up the network's trail, follow it, learn what you can along the way. When you find the wiring closet, infiltrate the closet by, ahem, whatever means available, and terminate the cable run."

"Terminate, the cable?"

"He's out there operating without any decent restraint, totally beyond the pale of any acceptable cable management. And he is still in the field, pulling wire."

"Terminate, with extreme prejudice."

I love the smell of a broadcast storm in the morning

:clint:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Charlie don't web surf!

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

wa27 posted:

I love stuff that fixes itself through a small application of patience.

"Your computer seems to be working normally, can you please describe to me in detail what issue you're experiencing?" Then watch them get angry because they made a fool of themselves and you've been perfectly polite the whole time.

It's even better if you can fix it remotely and then you find out that someone stopped working for hours waiting for you to fix an already-fixed issue.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Pouring out a 40 12oz for my homie blackswordca.

:cheers:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Sirotan posted:

...I think I need that mug

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
I've been busy so am rather late with this, but I also want to say congrats to blackswordca. It's been a long time coming. A drat long time.

Also please find a way to tell us how the old place gets on when you're gone!

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Race Realists posted:

Is it possible you could just explain here? I dont have the PM option available because im poor

I am really curious what IT jobs are like Georgia.

Well, son, we ain't got none of them there computin' machines 'round these here parts yet, so I reckon y'all gonna spend most of yer days tunin' on banjos and fixin' plugged moonshine stills and cleanin' out dirty firearms and such. :banjo:

Seriously, I'm not sure what you're asking here. IT jobs in Georgia are...just like IT jobs anywhere in the US. I mean, CoL is lower, so the pay is usually less than you'd get in Silicon Valley or other expensive places, and being a red state, employment laws are pretty much the bare minimum federal ones, but it's not like there's anything particularly different about a helpdesk job or sysadmin gig just because it's in Georgia.

If you're asking about the market, Atlanta has a very healthy IT job market (biggest in the Southeast by far), so it wouldn't be hard to find a job if you don't mind living in the city. Like other posters have said, though, you want to plan where you want to live based on where your job is if you can, because traffic is terrible.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I mentioned in another thread that I told my team lead that I was going to be interviewing for a position tomorrow in order to generate some sort of response from leadership. Apparently it did the trick. I was pulled aside by the Information Assurance Officer that the incumbent for the VA/CSA position was going to be making a decision tomorrow. From the sounds of it, she'll be leaving for another job, in which case they'll want me to move over into the position. It apparently pays more, plus I get out of on-call rotation, however I will be taking a step back career-wise from working with servers to working with desktops, but I figure the other duties of the position will offset that. I'm also fairly certain that if I take the position that my current team lead is not going to quite let me go, since I'm the only person beside the assistant team lead who knows the score for our responsibilities. Should be an interesting day tomorrow.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Che Delilas posted:

They're not buzzwords until they're misused by people who don't bother to understand their meanings. "Stand-up" for example specifically means a very short team status report to make sure everyone is going in the same direction and bring any potential issues to the attention of the group so that they can be resolved (after the stand-up; "Mike, can you get together with John on that today? Good."). Bad managers will have "stand-ups" that last 3 hours so they can monologue and hold involved design discussions, and they love it because "it says right here in agile 101 that we have to have daily meetings! :haw:" Now it's a buzzword.

It's a design methodology that's very different from the traditional top-down, design-first-code-once (waterfall) method, because that method doesn't work too well for large projects. The terminology can be silly, yes, but it's that way in part in order to distinguish itself from traditional methods.

Yeah normal people dont need this poo poo

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

rolleyes posted:

Also please find a way to tell us how the old place gets on when you're gone!

Seriously, this - other than watching someone leaving a terrible, soul-sucking job, getting the inside scoop on the fallout and crazy panicked scrambling is the best part.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I guess agile / scrum works pretty well but the terms are just pretentious bullshit imho.

You're writing code, not prose.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

They're not buzzwords until they're misused by people who don't bother to understand their meanings. "Stand-up" for example specifically means a very short team status report

Aren't stand up meetings supposed to be done with everyone standing up to add some pressure to keep it short?

I think these systems could be the sort of thing that helps a good but inexperienced manager become a great manager, or enable a bad manager to be an awful manager.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
You could release bees in the conference room. That should speed things up. How's that for...

...BUZZWORDS! :thurman:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Beads?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Aren't stand up meetings supposed to be done with everyone standing up to add some pressure to keep it short?

I think these systems could be the sort of thing that helps a good but inexperienced manager become a great manager, or enable a bad manager to be an awful manager.

Probably. The fact that everyone is standing up doesn't mean poo poo to all the sociopaths, narcissists and tin-pot dictators you'll find in management though. For some of those types, employees being uncomfortable doesn't even occur to them. For others, it's a perk.

Agile was created to address fundamental flaws in traditional waterfall methods of software development. It's not designed to force poo poo managers to be decent human beings; if they are just adopting "Agile" because it is the "in" thing, they're probably going to miss the point, yeah.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

The old bear never got to see my honey business!

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
oh hey 200 new posts I wonder w... :stare:

Congrats blackswordca, it's about loving time!

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
My old job adopted scrum and kind of forces our "customers" (who were just other departments in the company) to go along with it, although like everything else involving IT they put the minimum effort they could into it.

My current job likes to pretend that they adopted scrum, but the government departments we work for just kind of ignored that and continued business as usual.

Also, new theory on how blackswordca's employer is gonna screw him over: blame him for everything that breaks immediately after he leaves and try to withhold the leave time payout for failure to perform his duties.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

dennyk posted:

Well, son, we ain't got none of them there computin' machines 'round these here parts yet, so I reckon y'all gonna spend most of yer days tunin' on banjos and fixin' plugged moonshine stills and cleanin' out dirty firearms and such. :banjo:

Seriously, I'm not sure what you're asking here. IT jobs in Georgia are...just like IT jobs anywhere in the US. I mean, CoL is lower, so the pay is usually less than you'd get in Silicon Valley or other expensive places, and being a red state, employment laws are pretty much the bare minimum federal ones, but it's not like there's anything particularly different about a helpdesk job or sysadmin gig just because it's in Georgia.

If you're asking about the market, Atlanta has a very healthy IT job market (biggest in the Southeast by far), so it wouldn't be hard to find a job if you don't mind living in the city. Like other posters have said, though, you want to plan where you want to live based on where your job is if you can, because traffic is terrible.

Thanks. Sorry for the vagueness.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Sirotan posted:

Oh my god it has the seal face :neckbeard:

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2kc4oZTVU

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

How im celebrating tonight. Finacee made mini pumpkin pies

Thank you all for the grats and well wishes.. you guys helped me stay sane, I appreciate it more than anyone will ever realize it. Cheers to you all!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Aaaand one visit to the sex toy shop later...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

blackswordca posted:

Thank you all for the grats and well wishes.. you guys helped me stay sane, I appreciate it more than anyone will ever realize it. Cheers to you all!

Ice in single malt? For shame, Blackswordca.

But still, congratulations, for whatever the congratulations of a lurker are worth. :v:

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Ice in single malt? For shame, Blackswordca.

But still, congratulations, for whatever the congratulations of a lurker are worth. :v:

I couldn't find my granite cubes :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A ticket came in

Employee blackswordca drinks his single malt scotch with ice.

Please do the needful and fire him, since it's all his fault.

THIS IS AFFECTING PRODUCTION

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

blackswordca posted:

I'm going to suggest that part of your first pay packet goes on buying something nice for your fiancee.

Although I don't think you've mentioned it, there's no way you could have coped with all that crap without someone to support you at home.

And I am really happy for you and your change: you deserve it.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Congratulations Blacksword and Paladine!

I'm sorry we're losing your stories, but I'm immensely more happy for your bank accounts, careers and mental and physical health!

Edit: And Crowley too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

evobatman posted:

Congratulations Blacksword and Paladine!

I'm sorry we're losing your stories, but I'm immensely more happy for your bank accounts, careers and mental and physical health!

Edit: And Crowley too!

Did I miss Paladine doing the needful somewhere?

• Locked thread