Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Corek posted:

Nicola Peltz, primarily known for The Last Airbender

I'd like to think Bates Motel is more high profile than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Wade Wilson posted:

Well sure, Mark Walhberg is in it, of course it'll be horrible.

Marky Mark is the best thing this franchise has going for it at this point.

Dr. Puppykicker
Oct 16, 2012

Meanwhile

When did we get the Marky Mark sucks memo and who do I contact to officially revise it?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Marky Mark owns and you should cut off your face if you disagree.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
I just want to see Mark Walhberg talks to Transformers.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

Milky Moor posted:

I just want to see Mark Walhberg talks to Transformers.

"Hey Optimus, how's it going? I like your sword, that looks really great. So you're a autobot, right, what's that all about? Okay, well it was great to meet you. Say hi to your mother for me, okay?"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

When did we get the Marky Mark sucks memo and who do I contact to officially revise it?

The Happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SirDrone posted:

"Hey Optimus, how's it going? I like your sword, that looks really great. So you're a autobot, right, what's that all about? Okay, well it was great to meet you. Say hi to your mother for me, okay?"

Hrrmmm... maybe freedom isn't the right of all sentient beings after all...

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wade Wilson posted:

The Happening.

Sorry, that was allll Shyamalamadingdong.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Sorry, that was allll Shyamalamadingdong.

When did poo poo like this stop being probatable?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wade Wilson posted:

Making fun of Shyamalan was probate-able?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

The Happening was a really good B-movie, just like Lady in the Water was a romantic comedy disguised as a horror film. I have no idea why anyone doesn't like those movies. Most of the complaints about them I know are 'plants are the villains, therefore it sucks!' (implicit: I know nothing about pulpy sci-fi as a genre!!!!) and 'there's a critic in it who dies! Shyamalamadingdong (they always pronounce it this way) hates critics!' even though the critic's characterisation, someone who thinks they understand something so well that The Truth slips through the gaps and gets them killed, is a running theme in his films going all the way back to The Sixth Sense.

People hate him because moviewatchers are dumb. What a twist!!!! etc.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hbomberguy posted:

People hate him because moviewatchers are dumb. What a twist!!!! etc.

No, I hate him because Devil was loving rear end. And the water twist in Signs was loving dumb as hell. I liked Signs until precisely that moment.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Making fun of Shyamalan was probate-able?

People used to get probated for mistyping his last name like that (alongside people that posted the "Will Smith said 'welcome to urf'" meme).

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

No, I hate him because Devil was loving rear end. And the water twist in Signs was loving dumb as hell. I liked Signs until precisely that moment.

Shyamalan neither wrote nor directed Devil. You actually hate John Erick Dowdle/Brian Nelson.

What exactly was 'dumb' about the water twist? Just out of interest.

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Wade Wilson posted:

Are you loving serious?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hbomberguy posted:

Shyamalan neither wrote nor directed Devil. You actually hate John Erick Dowdle/Brian Nelson.

What exactly was 'dumb' about the water twist? Just out of interest.

He wrote the story and Brian Nelson wrote the screenplay.

And the entire concept of a race of aliens invading a planet that is MOSTLY loving WATER despite being violently allergic to it is loving stupid. To say nothing of the idea of God taking away Mel Gibson's faith by killing his wife so she could give him a message about the water so that he could get his faith back and AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!:psyboom:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Ungoal posted:

Are you loving serious?

misspelling shymalan's name used to be more of a trend than it is now, but it's never been more funny than annoying

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And the entire concept of a race of aliens invading a planet that is MOSTLY loving WATER despite being violently allergic to it is loving stupid. To say nothing of the idea of God taking away Mel Gibson's faith by killing his wife so she could give him a message about the water so that he could get his faith back and AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!:psyboom:

What if they were demons, not aliens, and the water was holy water?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Demons need spaceships?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Everyone needs spaceships.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Andrew Verse posted:

Everyone needs spaceships.

What about God?

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

"By being on a planet that has water, the movie is killing me. It is wrong because water!!!! I mean...WATER!!!! This makes me angry, for some reason."

Andrew Verse posted:

STOP OVERTHINKING THE MOVIE YOU'RE HURTING MY BRAIN :psyboom:

If he did not write the screenplay, he did not write the movie. You do not even know who you feel this unnecessary amount of 'hate' towards. Why movies would make anyone think these things is beyond me. The only director one can justifiably hate is Lars Von Trier, and that's because he murdered my father with a hunting knife.

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

Rita Repulsa posted:

misspelling shymalan's name used to be more of a trend than it is now, but it's never been more funny than annoying

Annoying with base notes of racist, none the less.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Andrew Verse posted:

Since when do Presbyterians believe in holy water?

Ungoal
Mar 13, 2014

by XyloJW

Leospeare posted:

Annoying with base notes of racist, none the less.

:lol::lol:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Hbomberguy posted:

"By being on a planet that has water, the movie is killing me. It is wrong because water!!!! I mean...WATER!!!! This makes me angry, for some reason."

It makes me angry because it's a blatant loving plot hole that the movie fails to explain. But enough of this derail.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

New TV ads:

https://vimeo.com/96960184

https://vimeo.com/96960551

https://vimeo.com/96960552

That last one :allears:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

"It's a freaking space ship. Sweetie, hand me my alien gun." Is a legitimately funny line.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Okay, I refuse to believe that I'm the only one getting a serious Unicron vibe from that shot of the ship sucking up the city.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

As cool as the new transformations are, I'm going to miss the heavy, kinetic weighty feel of the original sequences.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Okay, I refuse to believe that I'm the only one getting a serious Unicron vibe from that shot of the ship sucking up the city.

It would not surprise me if all those ships are Unicron, and they can merge together.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

It makes me angry because it's a blatant loving plot hole that the movie fails to explain.

What is the plot hole? Water exists on planet Earth?

Have you considered that the water is an extended metaphor for the film's exploration of faith? You know, that thing absolutely every one of Shyamalan's films are about? The Alien was already getting beaten to death by a bat. The section where it gets knocked into some water, and it burns, is important. You're not meant to read it as a literal plot factor, like 'oh but the human body is 99% water blur blur blurrr', it's part of the main character getting their faith back. If that little bit at the end where some water burns an otherwise-hosed alien totally ruins a film for you....sorry? I don't think the film fails to explain it. I think you just don't want to figure it out and project your confusion onto the film.
e: Not much of a derail really, this is the thread for re-evaluating the work of an artist previously seen as bad.

YESSSSSSSSS

Hbomberguy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 31, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I can't remember where I read it (Empire, maybe?) but Bay pointed out that this being a planned trilogy they're actually going to go ahead and start introducing poo poo that won't be explained or have a payoff until the sequels. While I'm sure they'll be using Unicron eventually, I don't think those are it. Maybe like a herald to Unicron?

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

TBQH, I wish they'd stop using OH MY GAAAAAD.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't remember where I read it (Empire, maybe?) but Bay pointed out that this being a planned trilogy they're actually going to go ahead and start introducing poo poo that won't be explained or have a payoff until the sequels. While I'm sure they'll be using Unicron eventually, I don't think those are it. Maybe like a herald to Unicron?

Its bringing Unicron a sample platter.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

TBQH, I wish they'd stop using OH MY GAAAAAD.

He's just filling the void Sam left in this series.

I love that Optimus has a two-storey sword slung across his back.

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

Have you considered that the water is an extended metaphor for the film's exploration of faith? You know, that thing absolutely every one of Shyamalan's films are about? The Alien was already getting beaten to death by a bat. The section where it gets knocked into some water, and it burns, is important. You're not meant to read it as a literal plot factor, like 'oh but the human body is 99% water blur blur blurrr', it's part of the main character getting their faith back. If that little bit at the end where some water burns an otherwise-hosed alien totally ruins a film for you....sorry? I don't think the film fails to explain it. I think you just don't want to figure it out and project your confusion onto the film.

Not to mention that Shyamalan's film's have been genre deconstructions at heart. I've always read the water thing not as a plot hole, but more of an homage to "War of the Worlds".

Also, "Signs" is underrated as gently caress.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Apples McGrind posted:

Not to mention that Shyamalan's film's have been genre deconstructions at heart. I've always read the water thing not as a plot hole, but more of an homage to "War of the Worlds".

Also, "Signs" is underrated as gently caress.

I really have to get around to seeing After Earth. He keeps topping himself with pure silliness and watching people get confused and upset by it is great. I'm sure one day half his haters will realise they don't actually exist and fade away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

I really have to get around to seeing After Earth. He keeps topping himself with pure silliness and watching people get confused and upset by it is great. I'm sure one day half his haters will realise they don't actually exist and fade away.

I haven't seen a Shyamalan joint since "The Last Airbender", which was his first legitimately awful film since "The Village". But "Lady" was nowhere near as bad as people said it was and "The Happening" was just one of the funniest things I've seen in the last few years. But I probably should watch AE if nothing else to see if it really is as bad as people told me.

e: Just realized he didn't make a movie between "Airbender" and "After Earth". Doh!