Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Eat Bum Zen posted:

for really? maybe we're imagining different techniques but doesn't the switch off the step telegraph that kick super hard? i'm not sure if it's a step and then a powerstep into a kick or just throwing the kick off your hip turn that we're talking about

What I mean is when you are in an orthodox stance, sticking out a fearsome jab (telegraph it as much as you can, please) and stepping in with your left foot at the same time to close a bit of distance, so your opponent covers up or tries a slip and/or steps slightly back, then unleashing a right leg low kick. With your left leg as the pivot, you'll have terrific range for your right leg even if he sort of sees it coming.

Also I love my new neighbourhood, 15 minutes ago when I was buying juice a junkie started running after a store clerk, chasing him between the shelves, threatening to "kill everyone" after failing to smuggle out beer or something, so I took him out (*HERO*). Not, like, KO out with supermanheropunch, but step between them, smiling with the most friendly face I could conjure up, and saying it's all fine and let's just go outside and leave it for now, ok? The clerk is tiny, but the junkie wasn't much bigger and obviously wasn't about to start stabbing anyone or anything, just having a go at an even smaller dude because no drugz. I chatted with him for a while outside and he wanted to loan a bit of money, or if not just hook up for some weed or meffies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Eat Bum Zen posted:

for really? maybe we're imagining different techniques but doesn't the switch off the step telegraph that kick super hard? i'm not sure if it's a step and then a powerstep into a kick or just throwing the kick off your hip turn that we're talking about

kind of like this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSNnX3zbcL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEfYAI7KrvA

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
"Be more like Ernesto Hoost" is pretty good advice no matter what aspect of striking you're talking about.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

Having him show up in your bracket at a tournament had to be pretty disheartening.

its hard when your opponent can knee you in the face while standing flat footed.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

What I mean is when you are in an orthodox stance, sticking out a fearsome jab (telegraph it as much as you can, please) and stepping in with your left foot at the same time to close a bit of distance, so your opponent covers up or tries a slip and/or steps slightly back, then unleashing a right leg low kick. With your left leg as the pivot, you'll have terrific range for your right leg even if he sort of sees it coming.
If you're southpaw vs orthodox, this combo won't work unless you're positive they'll step in after your jab, in which case the kick to the body might become a liver kick.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
southpaw vs orthodox changes all the rules :(

(got livershotted by a southpaw)

SeventhUncle
May 1, 2014
Southpaw is great!

Even though I'm a righty I practice my off-stance as much as possible.

It doesn't work well against experienced fighters but it's great against mid-level fighters. It confuses the crap out of them and often they don't even realize why it's so confusing.

Useless against untrained fighters too since they have no expectations of what's supposed to work.

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Ligur posted:

southpaw vs orthodox changes all the rules :(

(got livershotted by a southpaw)

South paws are hard as poo poo when they know what they're doing. Lead with a right. Try straight right left hook right kick to the inside back leg.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

One that's been getting me (the southpaw) lately is selling a front kick, pulling it back and then throwing the cross.
If I don't try to scoop the kick, then they just follows through with it.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Being good with head movement and a left hook to corral your opponent is good against south paws.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm taking CSW and JKD concepts and am on class 14 for both of them. I'm just rather confused as to how I'm supposed to use the ton of things I've learned in both in a sparring match. The CSW also has a savate component tacked to it @.@ it just feels like the tool box that I'm getting is gonna be really really big and I won't know how to proceed in trying to spar someone.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

So I'm taking CSW and JKD concepts and am on class 14 for both of them. I'm just rather confused as to how I'm supposed to use the ton of things I've learned in both in a sparring match. The CSW also has a savate component tacked to it @.@ it just feels like the tool box that I'm getting is gonna be really really big and I won't know how to proceed in trying to spar someone.

This is why you don't try to learn martial arts from DVD's. You need a coach and an actual club.

mewse
May 2, 2006

KildarX posted:

My first sparring session consisted of me flailing my arms at my coach and him hitting me in the head until my headgear slid down and covered my eyes

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is why you don't try to learn martial arts from DVD's. You need a coach and an actual club.

Yes I belong to a school and go to classes. Now expand on this.

mewse posted:

My first sparring session consisted of me flailing my arms at my coach and him hitting me in the head until my headgear slid down and covered my eyes

I figure this is how it'll go for awhile.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

Yes I belong to a school and go to classes. Now expand on this.

Well then why are you asking in internet forum about sparring instead of your coach? Don't you guys spar regularly?

In any case, everyone sucks at sparring at first, just do your best.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Well then why the hell are you asking in internet forum about sparring instead of your coach?
I fully intend on asking the instructor next time I go to class
I just want a view from goons in the NEW A/T Martial Arts Thread. There is a wealth of information/experience in this thread and hell I had nothing better to do then post a question I was mulling over over breakfast.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

KildarX posted:

I just want a view from goons in the NEW A/T Martial Arts Thread. There is a wealth of information/experience in this thread and hell I had nothing better to do then post a question I was mulling over over breakfast.

Sorry, I'm just in a grumpy mood. Basically, everyone is absolutely awful for the first 6 months, and mostly awful for another 6. Just focus on doing the few things you know how to do, and keeping yourself under control. Sparring is just a tool for improving, the point isn't to "win".

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Sorry, I'm just in a grumpy mood. Basically, everyone is absolutely awful for the first 6 months, and mostly awful for another 6. Just focus on doing the few things you know how to do, and keeping yourself under control. Sparring is just a tool for improving, the point isn't to "win".

On that note, what is the consensus of schools/gyms that don't allow sparring (or don't spar at all) until students are well up there in belt rank (or equivalent)?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

On that note, what is the consensus of schools/gyms that don't allow sparring (or don't spar at all) until students are well up there in belt rank (or equivalent)?

They are terrible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Clanpot Shake posted:

I don't there is a consensus even within a discipline. I know in boxing there are gyms that think if you don't spar the first day, you're not really boxing, but I spent about a year training before I started getting the paperwork done (amateur boxing org membership) to get in the ring.

The problem most people have is with arts that don't do any sparring whatsoever, so you theoretically know how to disarm a gun from somebody but you've never been punched in the face

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

mewse posted:

I don't there is a consensus even within a discipline. I know in boxing there are gyms that think if you don't spar the first day, you're not really boxing, but I spent about a year training before I started getting the paperwork done (amateur boxing org membership) to get in the ring.

The problem most people have is with arts that don't do any sparring whatsoever, so you theoretically know how to disarm a gun from somebody but you've never been punched in the face

There's a big difference between having amateur fights and sparring, though.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
I'm pretty sure it's the same in all provinces but in order to spar in boxing in Ontario you need to do the paperwork and be registered with the regulatory body ($20). They've been pretty strict about it with the gyms I've been to around the area (as opposed to judo). I think that's what Mewse meant. I also spent about a year boxing before stepping into the ring (cause I'm a wuss).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Bangkero posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same in all provinces but in order to spar in boxing in Ontario you need to do the paperwork and be registered with the regulatory body ($20). They've been pretty strict about it with the gyms I've been to around the area (as opposed to judo). I think that's what Mewse meant. I also spent about a year boxing before stepping into the ring.

Wow, really? No wonder there aren't any good Canadian boxers :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bangkero posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the same in all provinces but in order to spar in boxing in Ontario you need to do the paperwork and be registered with the regulatory body ($20). They've been pretty strict about it with the gyms I've been to around the area (as opposed to judo). I think that's what Mewse meant. I also spent about a year boxing before stepping into the ring (cause I'm a wuss).

Yeah I'm in Manitoba and it was explained to me as a liability thing, our amateur org provides insurance to gyms and athletes

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Wow, really? No wonder there aren't any good Canadian boxers :v:

:v:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KildarX posted:

If your coach points out any bad habits you have, work as hard as you can to correct them. If you let something slide for long enough, it'll become bad muscle memory. Don't work on improving more than one thing at a time in the beginning. Like if you're working on your jab and the other guy is just teeping you, well, too bad. Keep jabbing and getting countered.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KildarX posted:

Combat Submission Wrestling with a savate component?! That's is both cool AND pretty WTF, since I've trained in some version of savate, both boxe française and Savate Défense, since 2005. Along with everything else. It has lots of useful stuff too, like any school of kickboxing. For example the chasse lateral kick which both Jon Jones and Carlos Condit have used in recent years (not that it exists only in Savate but it's one of the basic techniques of the sport and I can't think of another style that gives it that much emphasis). A similar low kick with your toes pointing up at an 45 degree angle, the chasse frontal, is awesome for close up fighting or self defense, it really stops anyone or anything coming at you.

So. Can you elaborate on these @.@ savate components?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Ligur posted:

Combat Submission Wrestling with a savate component?! That's is both cool AND pretty WTF, since I've trained in some version of savate, both boxe française and Savate Défense, since 2005. Along with everything else. It has lots of useful stuff too, like any school of kickboxing. For example the chasse lateral kick which both Jon Jones and Carlos Condit have used in recent years (not that it exists only in Savate but it's one of the basic techniques of the sport and I can't think of another style that gives it that much emphasis). A similar low kick with your toes pointing up at an 45 degree angle, the chasse frontal, is awesome for close up fighting or self defense, it really stops anyone or anything coming at you.

So. Can you elaborate on these @.@ savate components?

It's actually STX[Savate-Thai cross training, made by Erick Paulson apparently]. So far from that I've learned some punching and elbow combinations, some low and mid kicks, and the Thai Clinch, but mostly it seems we do ground work, and getting the opponent to the ground[sweeps, throws, etc] in CSW, with the STX component being secondary.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 30, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

e: nevermind. I'm just feeling snarky today

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 30, 2014

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KildarX posted:

It's actually STX[Savate-Thai cross training, made by Erick Paulson apparently]. So far from that I've learned some punching and elbow combinations, some low and mid kicks, and the Thai Clinch, but mostly it seems we do ground work, and getting the opponent to the ground[sweeps, throws, etc] in CSW, with the STX component being secondary.

Ok! I just read this so that kind of clears it up, sort if guessed as much. Sports savate doesn't even have elbows or leg blocks for that matter, the reasoning with the feet being 1) you kick with shoes, possibly reinforced 2) Weidman vs Silva II. Savate Defensé on the other hand :v

I'm sure someome might call bullshit, but I think it's a good "self-defence" form if something is. (I haven't praised it here in a while so here goes, mwah, feel free to call me an idiot, everyone!) They don't practice anything that is "too lethal to train" and the emphasis is very much in using the shortest, quickest and hurtiest techniques to stun your opponent the most "lethal" being various elbows (MT and MMA guys train the same poo poo) and groin kicks (people regularly get dropped from getting hit in the cup during sparrring). It also includes breaking holds, ground defense, sweeps and throws. The idea is to get that dude off of you ASAP and then run away and do it in a way that if you get caught, nobody goes to jail.

They also train everything against resisting partners and all the instructors and many of the practitioners also heavily crosstrain in BJJ and boxing so I mostly trust them when it considers two persons trying to fight each other in the ring - or outside of it.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

e: nevermind. I'm just feeling snarky today

Drat, now I'm left wondering what exactly it was you snarked at :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think any advice for anyone as far as posting on the internet below 6 months or so is "just keep showing up". At the most basic level, theres very little that can be said in words thats going to matter, except general encouragement and funny stories of "when I was a white belt..."

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

I think any advice for anyone as far as posting on the internet below 6 months or so is "just keep showing up". At the most basic level, theres very little that can be said in words thats going to matter, except general encouragement and funny stories of "when I was a white belt..."

Yeah pretty much this. Just STFU and train, go to class. Train. Learn. Just keep showing up to class.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Syphilis Fish posted:

Yeah pretty much this. Just STFU and train, go to class. Train. Learn. Just keep showing up to class.

Having good teachers and students that communicate to each other helps a lot when you trying to take everything in.

I just got my judo yellow belt on Friday after being away for 2 months due to injury. My Sensei was going to grade in April but he wanted to make sure I was going to stick with it post injury. He was afraid of me quitting due to a major injury so early. I was just happy to get back on the mats rolling and throwing again but it was nice get the validation that I was making progress.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen
gently caress yeah Duane Ludwig is doing a striking seminar at my gym this saturday

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Eat Bum Zen posted:

gently caress yeah Duane Ludwig is doing a striking seminar at my gym this saturday

drat, nice

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Don't wear a shirt!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Ligur posted:

Ok! I just read this so that kind of clears it up, sort if guessed as much. Sports savate doesn't even have elbows or leg blocks for that matter, the reasoning with the feet being 1) you kick with shoes, possibly reinforced 2) Weidman vs Silva II. Savate Defensé on the other hand :v

I'm sure someome might call bullshit, but I think it's a good "self-defence" form if something is. (I haven't praised it here in a while so here goes, mwah, feel free to call me an idiot, everyone!) They don't practice anything that is "too lethal to train" and the emphasis is very much in using the shortest, quickest and hurtiest techniques to stun your opponent the most "lethal" being various elbows (MT and MMA guys train the same poo poo) and groin kicks (people regularly get dropped from getting hit in the cup during sparrring). It also includes breaking holds, ground defense, sweeps and throws. The idea is to get that dude off of you ASAP and then run away and do it in a way that if you get caught, nobody goes to jail.

They also train everything against resisting partners and all the instructors and many of the practitioners also heavily crosstrain in BJJ and boxing so I mostly trust them when it considers two persons trying to fight each other in the ring - or outside of it.

Drat, now I'm left wondering what exactly it was you snarked at :v:

This actually sounds pretty much ok. Sounds like some guys who've been around martial arts for a million years taking bits that work from arts that live train and putting them into one system.

Like the guys have said if you're doing live training and have good instructors you'll be ok. There's a lot worse out there than what amounts to an MMA system designed for self defence.

I think at the very least it'll give you a good enough taste of everything. I've done a similar training system before that was a mix of hapikdo, wrestling and muay Thai with some boxing combinations thrown in.

It sounds funny from the outside but if you're learning to throw punches, how to cover and move as well as hug effectively and it's all done with resistance you''re on the money just a different path.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do any of you guys regularly video your sparring sessions and analyze? I've done it very sporadically in the past, and the shame of seeing myself do things badly (whether my coach points them out or not) is an amazingly powerful motivator to correct things.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Do any of you guys regularly video your sparring sessions and analyze? I've done it very sporadically in the past, and the shame of seeing myself do things badly (whether my coach points them out or not) is an amazingly powerful motivator to correct things.

Yes, its super helpful but also amazing seeing how different the real video is from the one that's playing in my head. :smith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The first thing I noticed is that I'm maybe 75% as fast as I think I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

kimbo305 posted:

Kekekela posted:

Yes, its super helpful but also amazing seeing how different the real video is from the one that's playing in my head. :smith:

Yeah, I have or had a bunch of my fights and sparring sessions on some computer watchable combat. The first one was such a horrifying experience for the reasons mentioned I almost gave up on them then and there... but then grew up and got used to the fact that I mostly watch: some UFC, K1 kickboxing on Glory or boxing championship fights: is it really a wonder that over 30 year old +/- something hobbyists or amateurs who have actual jobs and stuff don't look so technical, fast, durable, conditioned or hot in comparison?

After the last fight event I went to, I was actually pleasantly surprised after watching 14 full contact bouts. That is, surprised how "good" my technique still is compared to some of the physically well trained guys in the ring. For example I don't attack with my chin up, leaning backwards or stuff like that - stuff that I still see a bit inexperienced fighters do. That said, actual fighters, and I mean dudes who regularly train for full contact fights under full contact rules and also participate in them, would sweep floor with me on better conditioning alone.

kimbo305 posted:

The first thing I noticed is that I'm maybe 75% as fast as I think I am.

This too times 100. Also when your friends, esp. those who don't fight/spar at all, see you go full speed their reaction often is "lol u guys are so slooow".

Then you can ask them to hit you with a jab, and easily slip it, and then ask them to slip your jab, and they won't be able to slip or block it even if you tell them it's coming 10 seconds in advance, and they will be all :confused:

Ligur fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread