Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Smiling Jack posted:

If Kubrick faked the moon landing Neil wouldn't have hosed up his lines.

He didn't. That was a deliberate choice. loving Kubrick, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
drat straight, you can't make a professional properly gently caress up on purpose; that's why you strap an actor into a rocket for days and see if he can even say his lines in english, let alone properly. :colbert:

Rumor is that it actually took him seven takes to actually be able to say anything other than, "HOLY poo poo I'M ON THE GODDAMN MOON!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Not a viking posted:

Subtle being quite an understatement specially since some of the details weren't even possible to notice until the HD version was released.

What? Are you saying that there is somehow more detail in the HD release of the film than on the actual film stock itself? Certainly you might not have been able to see all the details in the VHS or whatever, but if it's possible to notice them now then it was possible in the original theatrical version.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Smiling Jack posted:

If Kubrick faked the moon landing Neil wouldn't have hosed up his lines.

That take was preceded by a hundred takes before it, with the camera only rolling on the last ten.

He wanted him to stumble his line so I'd be realistic.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

umalt posted:

drat straight, you can't make a professional properly gently caress up on purpose; that's why you strap an actor into a rocket for days and see if he can even say his lines in english, let alone properly. :colbert:

Rumor is that it actually took him seven takes to actually be able to say anything other than, "HOLY poo poo I'M ON THE GODDAMN MOON!"

"Ooh, it's all sticky!"

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

umalt posted:

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"Ooh, it's all sticky!"

"It's covered in jam!"

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Nastyman posted:

"It's covered in jam!"

"And over here we have... a fuckin' MONSTER!!"

:v::hf::v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"And over here we have... a fuckin' MONSTER!!"

:v::hf::v:

*Moon-runs past the stationary camera waving his arms*
AAAAAH!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I saw 22 Jump Street today, and the subtlety of some of the jokes is hard to verify because they may have been blatant but everyone was laughing so drat hard from the last joke that they may have been missed. Here's a spoiler wall of a few I thought were subtle enough:

During the car/helmet car chase, they drive by the Benjamin Hill School of Film Making, while a quiet Yakety Sax plays.

When the police Captain turns the picture of his daughter around on his desk, there's a quiet ticking noise, like an egg timer. When Jenko realizes that Schmidt hosed the Captain's daughter, it dings.

Their initial suspect for who the dealer is is Rooster, who has a tattoo. When his tattoo is revealed, it's for his high school mascot, the Red Herrings.

Jenko suggests they could be secret service agents. No one else thinks it's a good idea. Channing Tatum was in White House Down, where he protects the president. It was not a good movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Kruller posted:

Their initial suspect for who the dealer is is Rooster, who has a tattoo. When his tattoo is revealed, it's for his high school mascot, the Red Herrings.

I think I was the only one who got this joke in the theatre I went to.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Kruller posted:

Jenko suggests they could be secret service agents. No one else thinks it's a good idea. Channing Tatum was in White House Down, where he protects the president. It was not a good movie.

Wow, I didn't get that first one until now. And for the second one, he very sheepishly goes "I thought it was a good idea..."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kruller posted:

I saw 22 Jump Street today, and the subtlety of some of the jokes is hard to verify because they may have been blatant but everyone was laughing so drat hard from the last joke that they may have been missed. Here's a spoiler wall of a few I thought were subtle enough:

Actually the best part of that is that his school was the Plainview Red Herrings. You know, plain view.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Kill Bill vol. 1: after Beatrice defeats the Crazy 88, O-ren Ishii taunts that while swords never tire, Beatrice better not have exhausted herself or she might not last five minutes. They begin to fight and just shy of five minutes later O-Ren collapses, dead.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Another couple of things I just got from 22 Jump Street:

Near the end, Channing Tatum's character is wearing a "sun's out, guns out" shirt...and is carrying a concealed weapon.

All of the locations are extremely generic: Metro City (and the school is Metro City State), and at the end, they go to "Puerto Mexico."

edit:VVVV The "cube of ice" line took far too long for me to get.

Coffee And Pie has a new favorite as of 20:55 on Jun 19, 2014

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
One of the bars they go into is also called Gringo Pendejo's ("Stupid foreigners").

Bordering on subtle, there's a scene where Jonah Hill's character hangs out with some students trying to appear more sophisticated by drinking wine. There's some box wine on the table behind them.

And not very subtle at all, when Channing Tatum enters the new offices he remarks upon his boss's new office with the bright lights and glass walls, and says "it looks like a big cube of ice". The next shot is of his boss, Ice Cube.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
That's not subtle or right. It means. rear end in a top hat gringos.

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Maya has a Devo poster in her dorm room. Mark Mothersbaugh did the music for the movie (and apparently every other movie I've seen in the last year or so :catstare:)

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?
I know it's TV and old as balls, but watching The Wire I had an "oh snap" moment that took me until the end of Season 3 to realise. Omar is infamous for whistling "a hunting we will go" as he goes about his business, generally sending anyone who hears it running in the opposite direction.

Just like a police siren.

Considering I was introduced to the show as "it's about bad guys vs bad guys, not about good cops vs bad criminals", that detail took way too loving long to put together.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

All of the locations are extremely generic: Metro City (and the school is Metro City State), and at the end, they go to "Puerto Mexico."

All the beer labels when they were getting initiated were labeled "Beer" or "Cerveza." My favorite subtle moments were putting quotation marks around their fake names whenever it was in text. In the football montage they make the the title appears: Zook and "Brad"

I'm not sure, but I think even when characters who shouldn't know about their false identities write the names out (like in a text message), they still put the quotation marks.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Not Evans posted:

I know it's TV and old as balls, but watching The Wire I had an "oh snap" moment that took me until the end of Season 3 to realise. Omar is infamous for whistling "a hunting we will go" as he goes about his business, generally sending anyone who hears it running in the opposite direction.

Just like a police siren.

Considering I was introduced to the show as "it's about bad guys vs bad guys, not about good cops vs bad criminals", that detail took way too loving long to put together.

I wouldn't feel bad, everytime I rewatch the show I get new things - I only just this time caught that Nicky is cheating on his girlfriend in S2.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Another TV thing but on the show Playing House in the second episode the main characters Emma and Maggie are over at a friend's house and they end up stealing their bathrobes. Throughout the rest of the season every time you see Maggie and Emma wearing bathrobes they're the ones they stole, until the second to the last episode when they get called out on it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I wouldn't feel bad, everytime I rewatch the show I get new things - I only just this time caught that Nicky is cheating on his girlfriend in S2.

Wait, when he sleeps with Prissy? Cuz I'm pretty sure he was drunk, his uncle was murdered, his cousin incarcerated and his world was falling apart.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Not Evans posted:

Omar is infamous for whistling "a hunting we will go" as he goes about his business

It's taken me until just now to realize that, because I'd completely forgotten about that version of the song and it only registered in my mind as "The Farmer in the Dell". Doesn't help that the first time Omar does it, he corners a guy and says, "The cheese stands alone."

That wasn't Cheese, was it?

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's taken me until just now to realize that, because I'd completely forgotten about that version of the song and it only registered in my mind as "The Farmer in the Dell". Doesn't help that the first time Omar does it, he corners a guy and says, "The cheese stands alone."

Nope, it wasn't. Cheese doesn't appear until Season 2 IIRC.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMm1Wih0kug

:omarcomin:

kertap
Mar 13, 2010
I love in robocop (the 80's one) when Officer Murphy is shot by Clarence, Clarence makings a beeping noise like he’s a robot.
I thought this was funny because Officer Murphy is turned into a robot cop.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

kertap posted:

I love in robocop (the 80's one)

It makes me unreasonably sad that this now has to specified. loving hell, Hollywood, can you please stop mining the past and making GBS threads on our memories with terrible reworkings of ancient movies and TV shows? I am pretty sure neither Tron nor Starsky and Hutch needed "rebooting."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Centripetal Horse posted:

It makes me unreasonably sad that this now has to specified. loving hell, Hollywood, can you please stop mining the past and making GBS threads on our memories with terrible reworkings of ancient movies and TV shows? I am pretty sure neither Tron nor Starsky and Hutch needed "rebooting."

I like the moment in Robocop 2014 when Gary Oldman shows Murphy how much of him is human. It's nice and chilling, but sadly belongs in a far better movie.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Reboots work best when they take the original and move it in a different direction that sometimes takes the piss out of the original (Brady Bunch, 21 Jump St, Starsky & Hutch), rather than just "the same thing with better SFX" (Total Recall, Robocop).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Centripetal Horse posted:

Technically Tron was a sequel not a reboot. Also, I thought it was pretty decent

Mister Nobody
Feb 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Technically Tron was a sequel not a reboot. Also, I thought it was pretty decent

I've seen it described as the best music video of recent years and I'd have to agree. That movies pretty entertaining and the soundtrack is bitchin.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Tron is arguably the most dated movie and the sequel was pretty good. Starsky & Hutch was a good example of why a reboot/sequel/prequel/comic book movie needs to have respect for the source material. I had zero attachment to the original, but spending an entire movie saying "look how stupid the original was" gets old pretty fast, new audiences don't care about the material you're lampooning, and fans of the original (arguably your core audience) will be put off by it. See also: Lone Ranger. 21 Jump Street is an outlier because its creators are the best at taking a horrible idea and making an awesome movie out of it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Cat Hatter posted:

Tron is arguably the most dated movie and the sequel was pretty good. Starsky & Hutch was a good example of why a reboot/sequel/prequel/comic book movie needs to have respect for the source material. I had zero attachment to the original, but spending an entire movie saying "look how stupid the original was" gets old pretty fast, new audiences don't care about the material you're lampooning, and fans of the original (arguably your core audience) will be put off by it. See also: Lone Ranger. 21 Jump Street is an outlier because its creators are the best at taking a horrible idea and making an awesome movie out of it.

Starsky & Hutch - Dance Off (HD): http://youtu.be/_CgC1G92vms

This is magical and is one of my favorite movie soundtracks to boot.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
While Robocop is being mentioned - the "American Jesus" concept is pretty hard to miss but finding out that the film is almost perfectly symmetrical blew my mind.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Aleph Null posted:

Starsky & Hutch - Dance Off (HD): http://youtu.be/_CgC1G92vms

This is magical and is one of my favorite movie soundtracks to boot.

While I admit the movie had its moments (my favorite being when Starsky tries to save his sinking car), it was still a somewhat forgettable movie. The problem is that it wasn't really a Starsky & Hutch movie. For example, if you want to make a cop movie, that's one thing. If you decide to call your cop movie T. J. Hooker, now you have already alienated people that don't want to see a T. J. Hooker movie but there are hopefully enough people that enjoy T. J. Hooker that you can make up for it. If, however, your movie spends a bunch of time saying "remember how stupid T. J. Hooker was?" then you have now alienated the audience you were hoping to make up for the already alienated audience of people that didn't want to see your movie when they heard the name. Unfortunately its pretty hard to show that your movie is different enough from expectations that you can win them over. Plus, even if you manage to win them back, you still have a smaller target audience than had you called your movie something else and not offended the [whatever they call T. J. Hooker fans]. Other examples of movies that tried with varying success to show they weren't what people thought when people heard the name include The Muppets Movie, JJ Abrams' Star Trek, and Battleship (which wasn't very good but better than what most people were expecting from the title).

Also, the dance off from American Wedding was better.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

glitchkrieg posted:

While Robocop is being mentioned - the "American Jesus" concept is pretty hard to miss but finding out that the film is almost perfectly symmetrical blew my mind.

Haha holy poo poo. I love that people are still discovering new things about that movie after all this time.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Robocop chat:
I couldn't help but notice that at the end of this clip "Boom!"(spoiler alert: Murphy gets shot in the head) one of the thugs is whistling something rather familiar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ByoYuDE40

I'm not crazy, am I?

e:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Bender and ED-209 are both robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

minato posted:

Reboots work best when they take the original and move it in a different direction that sometimes takes the piss out of the original (Brady Bunch, 21 Jump St, Starsky & Hutch), rather than just "the same thing with better SFX" (Total Recall, Robocop).

But Robocop 2014 is totally the former and not the latter? It's about as different a direction as you could go from the original while still being about a cop named Alex Murphy that gets turned into Robocop, yet it's completely faithful to the original by being a satire of the law enforcement and corporate culture of the time period the movie was made in.

If anything most of the complaints I've heard about Robocop 2014 were that it didn't copy the original enough, especially the lack of a Clarence Boddicker-style villain.

One subtle thing I loved about Robocop 2014 was the way that they handled the Robocop suit. For filming they actually had the dude wear a suit so you get the benefit of both him and the people he's acting with having a physical prop to interact with, but they also used the suit for performance-capture and did a CGI composite so that his dimensions are subtly inhuman and too narrow to be a guy in a suit. It's a seamless effect that they pulled off really well.