Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The weird conspiracy theories surrounding Boston Rob's win are starting to sound like the ones around Rachel Reilly's Big Brother win. The casting sucked because all the casting sucked during that period of Survivor. They didn't go out and find a particularly weak cast so that Kim Spradlin could run circles around hers either, the players were just awful. Nicaragua through One World was so terrible we kept having discussions about whether the show would be cancelled and if it'd be a mercy killing.

It isn't that hard to believe after four attempts on a season during the worst period of casting in the history of the show that a very good player would run the table. No production thumb on the scale required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Rob's win is impressive because he was the biggest threat throughout the whole game and convinced people not to vote him out. The rules weren't changed for him. There were multiple times you could have just gathered 4-5 people and said 'Rob's too strong, he's gotta go' and voted him out.

Maybe people were scared of his potential return from Redemption Island. Maybe they were just dumb and felt there would always be another chance.

He had some advantages from having played so many times, but ultimately he wasn't any less vulnerable than anyone else.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Adus posted:

Rob's win is impressive because he was the biggest threat throughout the whole game and convinced people not to vote him out. The rules weren't changed for him. There were multiple times you could have just gathered 4-5 people and said 'Rob's too strong, he's gotta go' and voted him out.

Maybe people were scared of his potential return from Redemption Island. Maybe they were just dumb and felt there would always be another chance.

He had some advantages from having played so many times, but ultimately he wasn't any less vulnerable than anyone else.

He also said during an interview that they didn't show how busy he was at camp, taking everyone aside and talking to different people constantly. The way he tells it he kept pretty busy making sure that he knew 100% what was going on in everyone's heads.

But I'm a fan of him, so ymmv.

I even watched the show where he tried to become a professional poker player. The reality show "scripting" on that was awful, but what can I say, I find him entertaining.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry, a system error occurred.
I get why some people like him and think that he played the perfect game in RI and that's fine. My other major complaints about RI are that the only people who got any camera time were Rob and Phil and by the end of the season, I didn't even want to root for anyone to win. I don't think that's been the case for me since Thailand. Regardless of who won, it was a boring cast with only two stand-out personalities.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

RI wasn't a season of Survivor it was an instructional video on how to win Survivor. It is fascinating in its own right but it's not interesting in the sense that most good seasons of Survivor are interesting

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Redemption Island remains the only season I haven't watched just because I couldn't take more Russell. I should really watch it since its on Prime. I am a Rob fan and it seems important enough. And its way more interesting then rewatching the other seasons on Prime.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

STAC Goat posted:

Redemption Island remains the only season I haven't watched just because I couldn't take more Russell. I should really watch it since its on Prime. I am a Rob fan and it seems important enough. And its way more interesting then rewatching the other seasons on Prime.

Russell is only on there for a cup of coffee. The idiots on his tribe were so terrified of him and his tiny minority within the tribe they blew up their own games just to be rid of him. It's hilariously sad.

Was way too soon to bring Russell back. It'd be like bringing Boston Rob back immediately after All-Stars.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I know. I was just marathoning the entire show run and I had come off those two full seasons of Russell and couldn't take any more. The second he jumped out of that helicopter I just said "Hell no!" and only made it a couple of episodes before I decided it was time to take a break from my marathon. Then when I came back to finish I just moved right onto the next season because I still couldn't take any more Hantz.

Of course only to meet Brandon.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Oh god, Ozzy is back :negative:

Here's to hoping his ego deflated a bit since he got his rear end beat last time he was on! I am so, so doubtful though.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

DaisyDanger posted:

Oh god, Ozzy is back :negative:

Here's to hoping his ego deflated a bit since he got his rear end beat last time he was on! I am so, so doubtful though.

I fully expect his ego to be turned to 11 since he'll have company with him. Wonder if he'll employ his RI abuse strategy again.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Who the gently caress wanted Ozzy back?
Find a new athletic guy who can climb poo poo and might have a social game.

e: Hooray!

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 30, 2014

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Ghostpilot posted:

I fully expect his ego to be turned to 11 since he'll have company with him. Wonder if he'll employ his RI abuse strategy again.

Oh I'm not all caught up, I'm talking about season 23. Sorry!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

Oh I'm not all caught up, I'm talking about season 23. Sorry!

You just about made half the thread throw up. gently caress Ozzy. One of the most overrated players in the history of the show.

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

Sorry! I apologize a million times! I've been posting about old seasons, but I should know better. I will be sure to refer to seasons I'm talking about if I say things like that in the future.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

DaisyDanger posted:

Sorry! I apologize a million times! I've been posting about old seasons, but I should know better. I will be sure to refer to seasons I'm talking about if I say things like that in the future.

Hah, it's all good. I mostly just can't resist the opportunity to talk about how godawful Ozzy is at Survivor.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

DaisyDanger posted:

I think you should go to the corner and think about what you've done young man/woman! You made us worry!

DaisyDanger
Feb 19, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

I think you should go to the corner and think about what you've done young man/woman! You made us worry!

Off to Redemption Island for me. :sigh:

Edit: Just noticed Brandon's job next to his name: "Russell Hantz' Nephew" What a job!

DaisyDanger fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 30, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Oooooh-ho-ho, you're in for a doozy.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
So why does everyone hate Ozzy exactly? I never understood that. I know he's not the greatest at survivor, but he was always the happy go-lucky bro type that people seem to enjoy on this show. I was cheering for him in South Pacific and sad to see him go the other times. And having sex with Ozzy is like having sex on top of the world, so why all the hate?

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

GuavaMoment posted:

So why does everyone hate Ozzy exactly? I never understood that. I know he's not the greatest at survivor, but he was always the happy go-lucky bro type that people seem to enjoy on this show. I was cheering for him in South Pacific and sad to see him go the other times. And having sex with Ozzy is like having sex on top of the world, so why all the hate?

His ego is not fun to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really liked Ozzy first go around. I think I liked him a little less in his returns as he seemed to get a little high on his rep but I never hated him like people her do. Then again I also loved Ruppert first go around and never hated him like this thread does. I love those island man characters who revel in the Survivor setting and I'm not bothered by someone wanting to play with some "honor" or code or something like people seem to do. These guys definitely have some ego but all the big Survivor names have egos.

Speaking of, a couple of episodes into Redemption Island and I have to admit that it was fun watching Russell get unceremoniously booted by his tribe while he and his annoying pet (who someone had a bigger mouth than him) impotently rage and whine. Its also fun watching Rob play. Even if there doesn't seem to be anyone to really challenge him and its a little weird how much his allies adore him he keeps things fun with his personality.

But boy do I hate Phillip. Ralph is kind of fun though, even if I think I'm just missing Big Tom.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

What is your opinion of Dave Ball?

e: poo poo, was that Samoa?
You should still reply.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What is your opinion of Dave Ball?

Ahem. His name is Danger Dave Ball :colbert:

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I loving love DANGER DAVE and he's near the top of the list of people I'd actually like to see play again.

As you may have seen from my fumbling quite a few pages back, there aren't actually a lot of people I want to see come back.

As for Ozzy, he got really popular on his first go-around because his strategic game sucked, making him a physical beast of an underdog who got REALLY loving lucky with the mutiny, plus Yul's magical Jedi powers over Penner. If Penner and Candice hadn't jumped ship, and had Aitu lost a single immunity challenge, he would have been gone before the merge and therefore undateable.

He knew he was a physical beast and showmanced early in Micronesia. When Cirie decided to go with their side, his not losing inflated his ego so much that, having been a relative fan of his in CI (I was still happier to see Yul win), seeing Ozzy get blindsided with the idol in his pocket remains, to this day, one of my absolute favorite tribal councils EVER.

Seeing him come back again was just groan-worthy. Coach not so much, but his gameplay just...

Okay think about this: Cirie, James, and Amanda in HvV. Both Russell and Rob in RI. Both Coach and Ozzy in SP. Candice in...well, everything, but ESPECIALLY BvW (also, Rupert). Returnees are okay, and in VERY RARE cases, double returnees (See: Parvati and Jerri) don't suck, but 3/4-time returns really have to go the way of the dodo. It destroys their characters and their egos and just makes for awful television.

On the fence about Tyson. I still think he's hilarious to watch, and BvW posed a challenge kind of, but he still so severely outclassed the competition that it got boring.

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 30, 2014

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't entirely remember Danger Dave but what I do remember I enjoyed. He seemed like a funny guy. But all I really remember from Samoa at first is Russell. Even if I know there's more I should remember like Good Russell and Shambo. That season is probably on my rewatch list.

I do agree that third/fourth returnees is probably overkill and should be reserved for All Star seasons at most. Then again there's probably a lot of exceptions that would make me feel otherwise. Parv is the obvious. Tyson is another. Boston Rob is basically the only real thing I'm enjoying in RI. I recall enjoying Penner in his third go around. Still, I get it. Its overkill and people can easily wear out their welcome or get a big head. Like I said, I think its safe to say that all multi-return Survivor big names have an obvious ego. One of Boston Rob's biggest strengths seems to be being able to keep his under control.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Ozzy is kind of an entitled brat who gets really petulant when he discovers that people aren't just playing for him to win.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I want a maximum comedy season consisting of:

Women - Shambo, Sue Hawk, Lil, Maralyn, Trish, Kass, Debb Eaton, Denise, Dawn, Sherri
Men - Rudy, Big Tom, Clay, Yau-Man, Chet, Randy, Tarzan, Troyzan, Danger Dave, Coach

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

sportsgenius86 posted:

Women - Shambo, Sue Hawk, Lil, Maralyn, Trish, Kass, Debb Eaton, Denise, Dawn, Sherri
Men - Rudy, Big Tom, Clay, Yau-Man, Chet, Randy, Tarzan, Troyzan, Danger Dave, Coach

If we're going to have a comedy season, we should have Phillip, Tony, and Coach on the same tribe. Opposite tribe should be Russell, Brandon, J'tia, Kass. Actually Tony would be entertaining on either tribe. It could be Survivor: Order vs Chaos. Fill in each tribe as required. Order tribe is full of batshit crazy cult leader types who blather on about God, Honour, Loyalty and dragonslaying, Chaos tribe is full of batshit crazy people who burn socks, rice and generally indulge in shenanigans.

Bonus: Set up a survivor aftershow panel with Cochran, Spencer, Jerri and Corrine and film them discussing each episode and providing hysterical commentary.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Missing Billy Garcia

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

JakeP posted:

Missing Billy Garcia

you can't bring him back without bringing Candice back and nobody wants that.

maybe he'd fall in love with Denise this time though

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Poque posted:

What if you just put him on a tribe with Candice's husband. That should be fun enough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sportsgenius86 posted:

Needs more Dreamz

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Anybody else tune out every time this thread goes into Survivor fanfic season mode?

kitten
Feb 6, 2003

blue squares posted:

Anybody else tune out every time this thread goes into Survivor fanfic season mode?

Nope. What else is there to talk about in the off season?

Also, re Boston Rob on amazing race: he paid the bus driver to just open the doors on the front of the bus.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

kitten posted:

Nope. What else is there to talk about in the off season?

Also, re Boston Rob on amazing race: he paid the bus driver to just open the doors on the front of the bus.
Yeah, it was more the fact that he paid with other teams' money.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Poque posted:

He can learn to love again.... there is still hope

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Also, where is Zane

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

drat, Boston Rob is fun to watch. Finds an idol clue that is useless gibberish. Finds an idol anyway by lulling the entire tribe into playing on the beach while he claims incontinence to get away. His top ally finds another clue and the two throw picks for each other to get it away from the tribe. He then swaps it with his earlier gibberish clue to throw his buddy off while he's distracting the tribe. This is just fun. I hope the Boston Rob Idol antics continue.

i also hope loud mouth, bitchy Stephanie gets a really good comeuppance when she goes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

drat, Boston Rob is fun to watch. Finds an idol clue that is useless gibberish. Finds an idol anyway by lulling the entire tribe into playing on the beach while he claims incontinence to get away. His top ally finds another clue and the two throw picks for each other to get it away from the tribe. He then swaps it with his earlier gibberish clue to throw his buddy off while he's distracting the tribe. This is just fun. I hope the Boston Rob Idol antics continue.

You haven't seen his best use of an idol clue :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ugh. loving Phillip and his Stealth-R-Us stuff interrupting Boston Rob Idol Antic time.

• Locked thread