Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like something out of the new goddamn Star Trek movies. Did they consult JJ Abrams on this thing :swoon:

What's amazing is that this is actual flight hardware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Why are the propellant tanks spherical? Perfect shape to fit the most propellant? I would think that makes them harder to efficiently distribute in the spacecraft.

Hadlock posted:

Looks like something out of the new goddamn Star Trek movies. Did they consult JJ Abrams on this thing :swoon:

heh, he said 'we went for a clean aesthetic' and it made me wonder if they're going for any aesthetic at all in previous manned craft beyond 'functional'.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Confirmed: KSP getting official Dragon parts added into the game.

I would assume it'll be in the next update, right? :colbert:

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

Why are the propellant tanks spherical? Perfect shape to fit the most propellant? I would think that makes them harder to efficiently distribute in the spacecraft.

Best shape to contain gasses at extremely high pressure without messily exploding.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

So can someone explain to me how to best use Ion engines? It seems like I'm sticking so many solar panels and batteries and thermoelectric generators that it adds so much weight it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a small efficient engine. Why don't I just use a nuclear rocket engine instead that doesn't require 5+ minutes of burning to get captured in an orbit?

Not to mention you're hosed if you get caught on the dark side of a planet.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spherical tanks don't have any corners where stress fractures are most likely to form. Spherical and torroidal tanks are the best shape for high pressure tanks.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Tony Montana posted:

Pressure resistance, probably. High pressure tends to stretch containers toward a spherical shape, this way the tension on the body is much more even.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Away all Goats posted:

So can someone explain to me how to best use Ion engines? It seems like I'm sticking so many solar panels and batteries and thermoelectric generators that it adds so much weight it kind of defeats the purpose of having such a small efficient engine. Why don't I just use a nuclear rocket engine instead that doesn't require 5+ minutes of burning to get captured in an orbit?

You really have to keep it small. This is my standard SPACE KART

Seat
Tiny probe core
Small disc battery -> six 1x4 panels
Xenon container
Ion engine

This'll get you to Mun or Minmus easily. Add a few more fuel containers and you can go just about anywhere.

BigJane
Jan 24, 2009

Hadlock posted:

What's amazing is that this is actual flight hardware

This really reminded me of the pod from Contact except happier looking.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Spacecraft have finally entered the modern age

Its about drat time. This is what happens when rocket scientists and engineers aren't laden with 100,000 pork contracts, unchain NASA, NASA + SpaceX forever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warmachine posted:

The trick is that while yes, I did go to the internet and learn about dV and other rocket science, doing the math for my rocket of many pieces of varying mass by hand is dumb and doesn't get me to the blasting my Kerbals into space faster. It's why I have a mod that adds all that extra instrumentation. The smart part of it shouldn't be having to bust out a slide rule to calculate your burns--it should be knowing what all those numbers on the instrument panel mean so that you can do more and more efficient missions. It's landing on the moon Neil Armstrong style with a couple seconds of fuel left, and taking a deep, relieved breath at engine shutdown.

Then you go home and mount a rescue mission with what you learned that will (hopefully) get Jeb home again. And when going to the Mun is routine, you pick a new goalpost to shoot for.

I agree.

I mean I don't get why it's being argued against. Worst that comes of it is that new players don't know what dV is, or if they do know what it is, they don't know how much is good.

As you play you will gain an intuitive grasp of how much dV you need to get places with your piloting skills. All it needs is a basic breakdown of dV by stage (so you don't have to keep disassembling your rocket to see the numbers for your orbital stage and such) and maybe a total at the bottom. Let players use it how they like.

Shibawanko posted:

Just curious, but what does rocket fuel evaporate into? Can't we put it in a sealed canister (and maybe shade the tank from sunlight with some kind of movable sail?)?

Gaseous rocket fuel.

The issue is that rocket fuel is generally under such high pressure and made of such volatile, and often light elements, that it will basically squeeze through the tank, no matter how airtight you make it.

You can't get a perfect seal, and even if you could hydrogen can actually pass through solid metal given enough time I think because it's so light.

It's mostly a limit of engineering, there's always going to be a tiny amount of leakage from the tanks and when you're storing them in a complete vaccuum over years of travel time, that starts to get noticeable.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 30, 2014

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Spaceman Future! posted:

Spacecraft have finally entered the modern age

Its about drat time. This is what happens when rocket scientists and engineers aren't laden with 100,000 pork contracts, unchain NASA, NASA + SpaceX forever.

Honestly, I'm sure at least 50% of that is purely for marketing to the public, and not to benefit the astronauts. But good UI design is still nice.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Away all Goats posted:

Are you using the Z-100 or Z-400 batteries? Those have PhysicsSignificance=1, meaning they have no mass or drag, and you should stick as many on as you possibly can.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

Also, in addition to the structural strength mentioned by others, a sphere has the smallest surface area to contained volume ratio, meaning that for any given amount of fuel, a sphere has less surface area it can leak through.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

And for the same basic reason a spherical tank is the most mass-efficient way to store a given amount of fuel.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

emf posted:

I'm sorry for starting a massive derail, especially when so many people completely missed my point; but that's my fault. I really, honestly, thought that more people saw the sexism and gender-normative stereotyping being introduced by gendering Kerbals. The reason I didn't elaborate on it before, and also the reason I specifically requested to not hear from straight-white-males, is that they are not part of the group that is trying to be "included" by adding gender to Kerbals, nor are they a member of the many groups which will be explicitly excluded by the addition of a simple binary gendered Kerbal, and -- all good intentions notwithstanding -- are not in a position to choose their opinions for them.

Speaking of good intentions, people are quick to point out that you're carefully not sexualizing Kerbals with gratuitous T&A while you go about "feminizing" them, but your choices of feminizing features paints a picture of what you think a proper, feminine physique is: slender, slight, soft. The sketch of the proposed male and female Kerbals shows the "female" at roughly half the volume (therefore mass) of the "male". This is a nerd-culture male's view of how females should look, cute, demure, with no overly sexual characteristics which could be threatening . How many people that you're looking to make feel included will identify with that particular ideal of femininity?

Before I posted anything, I asked my friend and colleague (a scientist from Iran who is familiar with both KSP and my love of turning Kerbals into fine green mist) what she thought of adding gender to Kerbals. Her response was "Why? They are Kerbals ... and disposable. Who wants disposable Kerbal women?" She too had thought of them as genderless rocket fodder ... but that could just be because she'd seen the way I played. The discussion meandered to Lemmings, and the point was made that genderless Lemmings can be slaughtered with glee, but march female Lemmings by the score through smashers and flails and the game looses its whimsical nature -- as it should; there's far too much real, horrific violence perpetrated on women. We were thinking of KSP as Lemmings with rockets.

Pretending for a moment that some players won't be so gleefully murderous to their Kerbals, I asked her if she thought of the idea that girls might feel more included if they could identify more closely with the Kerbals. "Is there an way to let the girl Kerbals wear hijab, or even a simple headscarf?" A young Muslim girl might not appreciate your efforts at including women if comes with the implicit statement that they need not apply.

So, where are the Muslim Kerbals? Where are Indian Kerbals? The African Kerbals? The Asian Kerbals? Where are the fat Kerbals? Maybe I want a respawing Porkins Kerbal to be my go-to red-shirt for missions with a high chance of lithobraking.

Someone posted asking how being more inclusive is bad. It isn't. More inclusive is better. People say that currently Kerbals appear too masculine with their Western human male features, and whole-heartedly agree this is a problem, but I question if the right solution is to take a rib from Jeb to mould for him a Westernized, feminized Kerbal companion.
:cumpolice:

Don't ruin my cis gendered sexual fantasy space role playing game.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

please stop quoting emf's post

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Doomsday Jesus posted:

:cumpolice:

Don't ruin my cis gendered sexual fantasy space role playing game.

gently caress off this was ages ago and you've added nothing

Cotato
Mar 25, 2002

DStecks posted:

please stop quoting emf's post

Why? Something so loving stupid should be shared with the world. Post it from the rooftops ya know?

TheSnowySoviet
May 12, 2004

It never got weird enough for me.

Cotato posted:

Why? Something so loving stupid should be shared with the world. Post it from the rooftops ya know?

Because then the thread keeps being about emf's ridiculousness and backpedaling, whereas just about everyone else (Squad included!) seems to be of the same, sane mind.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cotato posted:

No it shouldn't, it should be forgotten and the thread move on. If we want to talk about female kerbals, offer constructive poo poo rather than just "OMG WHAT A TARD" because we already know he's a tard.

I like the idea of female kerbals, but I'll make a suggestion here.

Randomize their features, in a sense. Some of them should have eyeliner and/or mascara, and some shouldn't. Some girls want to "be pretty and wear makeup" and many don't. My wife rarely wears any makeup at all, for example. If you include both in the game, then nobody feels like you're not considering them "real." You could do the same with random facial hair and poo poo for the male ones, to make it fun.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

Step 1) Trash your probe and start again. If you don't need it, like really desperately must have a part - leave it off. Mass is all important
Step 2) If you have Nearfuture, use his solar panels. Stock are ok but only use enough to barely break even at full throttle, rotating bases from infernal robotics can help greatly here.
Step 3) Asparagus your Xenon/argon or whatever. Small central tank to maximise your TWR as you expend fuel.
Step 4) Use NERVAs to get poo poo done. You play with ions for the sake of playing with the design challenges of using ions.
Step 5) Do not do maneuvers on the dark side of a planet. If that's where you're headed, change course and make sure you don't.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

shortspecialbus posted:

No it shouldn't, it should be forgotten and the thread move on. If we want to talk about female kerbals, offer constructive poo poo rather than just "OMG WHAT A TARD" because we already know he's a tard.

I like the idea of female kerbals, but I'll make a suggestion here.

Randomize their features, in a sense. Some of them should have eyeliner and/or mascara, and some shouldn't. Some girls want to "be pretty and wear makeup" and many don't. My wife rarely wears any makeup at all, for example. If you include both in the game, then nobody feels like you're not considering them "real." You could do the same with random facial hair and poo poo for the male ones, to make it fun.
I actually like this idea, as long as their features are consistent within any given saved game, so you don't end up with, say, Sidfrid Kerman having short hair and glasses one mission, and a big bushy mountain man beard and no glasses the mission after that.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

shortspecialbus posted:

But that would humanize the kerbals, and we all know that sending thousands of kerbals to their deaths is the ONE TRUE WAY to play KSP! :goonsay:

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
I've been playing for a while now but I only recently landed a Kerbal on Duna. He wound up stranded there since I suck at piloting and rocket design so I decided to go for my first INTERPLANETARY RESCUE MISSION!

Long story short, after a couple of attempts I plant it down ~5km from Bob Kerman, but the terrain screws me over and my launch engine blows up and knocks the whole thing over onto its side.

Other than the central engine the rest of it is 100% intact so I figure I'll jetpack Bob over to it and see what I can salvage. Only then I misjudge his speed and watch him explode into the side of a small hill. :jeb: About 2 years he was stranded up there just waiting for a rescue.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

I found the mod you guys want. The interface is a little clunky still, but I think it has everything you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85jjddnfQVk

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Kerbal Space Program: thrust vectoring into the gas chamber.

Speaking of mods, which mod/texture pack was the one that put a thin atmosphere on Minmus with rad clouds?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Meat Dimension posted:

Speaking of mods, which mod/texture pack was the one that put a thin atmosphere on Minmus with rad clouds?

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements. There are also sub-mods for this framework floating around that further tweak the look of things.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

*removed for politeness*

The Meat Dimension posted:

I think this one?

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 30, 2014

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

haveblue posted:

EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements. There are also sub-mods for this framework floating around that further tweak the look of things.

I was thinking of Better Atmospheres (which uses Environmental Visual Enhancements, I thought?), thanks a ton. I know that it's far from realistic, but I'm a sucker for cool extraterrestrial locations since I've gone through the entire Kerbol system before.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
My favorite ksp posts are about failed rescues. Making green splatters when you are trying to avoid making green splatters :allears:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I intercepted the last of 4 rocks that came to Kerbin at the same time but this one is an E class. Not just a little bigger, it's a completely different order of engineering problem. I noted the ship mass pre docking and worked out the thing is 3711.13 tonnes. Up till this guy I've only had Cs or Ds up to 300t which proved pretty simple to move about. That 'tiddly' ship there had 16,000 dV prior to docking and is down to 340 after, the worst problem though is the wheels and RCS on it are just no way capable of turning it in a reasonable time frame.
This thing is going to need a new project after this ship captures it - I'm thinking huge powerplant with a lot of RCS grunt and a series of dockable fuel tankers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Seems like you should be using mainsails as RCS thrusters.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

xzzy posted:

Seems like you should be using mainsails as RCS thrusters.

Couldn't you, if you're smart about your burns and such, just use the ship as a bizarre RCS motor by repositioning where it is clawed into the asteroid? Or add more claw ships at the cardinal points and switch between them for maneuvers?

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

Instead of trying to turn a massive E class, just detach your ship and maneuver around to the right location. Or get KAS and stick RCS thrusters on the asteroid itself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Can not play KSP without KAS.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
How do you even plan a trip to an asteroid? I can't get their orbits to show in the map or plan an intercept using maneuver nodes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

EightBit posted:

How do you even plan a trip to an asteroid? I can't get their orbits to show in the map or plan an intercept using maneuver nodes.

Go to the Tracking Station. There should be a lot of "unknown object" entries clustered around Kerbin. Select one and hit Track to make it permanent, then it will be given a designation and will show up in the map view in-game and can be targeted. Then it's just a matter of picking one with a trajectory you think looks doable.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

EightBit posted:

Bring LOTS of deltav. A good number of asteroid trajectories are ridiculously inclined--not to mention the amount you'll need to actually move the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
KSP.jpg

(some siffy show coming soon)

E: I expect pictures of a replica in KSP when I wake up.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread