Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Tell us stories about every crappy car you owned

Someone in my family have had for years one of those stand-up water coolers where you put the 5 gallon jugs of water on top. They bought the cooler for $100 at Costco maybe 15 years ago, and have been filling up the 5 gallon jugs for a dollar each at the grocery store.
They are getting older, and its a little harder to haul the water jugs and heft them up onto the cooler.
Then the cooler broke, and no longer cools the water, but dispenses it at room temperature. Instead of spending $150 to replace the water cooler with a new, bottom loading one (no lifting required), they bought a water delivery service with a cooler rental from a door to door salesman for $15/month. Now they still have to lift the water jugs to install them, and are paying an extra $13/month for water.

Fortunately, they cancelled it after a year and have one of the bottom loading coolers now.

LorneReams posted:

To add, I used to be in this boat and would always buy a 2-4 year old car which would be 50% the price of the new one. However with the last car I looked at, the used price was like 20% of the new price and I was like gently caress that give me new. Used/New pricing structures seem to be way different now then when I was growing up. I wonder if better reliability in general is feeding into this.

Yeah, that's what I observed with the Honda Fit. Part of that is the "Honda Tax", but it's not a totally fair comparison. If you're buying from a private party, you're not paying sales tax like you would new or used at a dealer. I got used car financing for 1.92% from a bank for a $10k 36 month note by finding them on Bankrate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

canyoneer posted:

Yeah, that's what I observed with the Honda Fit. Part of that is the "Honda Tax", but it's not a totally fair comparison. If you're buying from a private party, you're not paying sales tax like you would new or used at a dealer. I got used car financing for 1.92% from a bank for a $10k 36 month note by finding them on Bankrate.

Depends on the state. In Washington, sales tax is assessed when you transfer ownership. We pay sales tax on used cars even on private party sales.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

canyoneer posted:

If you're buying from a private party, you're not paying sales tax like you would new or used at a dealer.

Depends on the state, in MA they add the tax right on the registration based on the car's VALUE, not the sale price in private sales.

E:fb, but to add, this is to keep people from going I bought this car for 1$ like I remember my parents doing all the time when I was a kid.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

canyoneer posted:

If you're buying from a private party, you're not paying sales tax like you would new or used at a dealer.

That really depends on where you live - in Quebec, you have to pay taxes on the vehicle to transfer the title, unless it's between family members. When I bought the Malibu from my grandfather, I would have had to bring my birth certificate and my mother's to prove a family relationship... We were already at the DMV, so I just said gently caress it and paid the taxes; it was a couple hundred bucks. (Chasing down the paperwork would have taken a couple of weeks, and grandpa's health wasn't that great so going back to the office would have been a giant pain)

Edit: As per above, it's assessed on the sales price or the blue book value, whichever is higher.

When I shopped for cars in September 2012, I'd get 8% financing on used cars, and 0-2% on 2012 model years new. I ended up buying a Camry, for a used car to be worth it financially I'd have had to look at 2007 - 2006 or so... gently caress it. I did let the dealer talk me into the upgrade package, which was a bit dumb, but hey, electric seat controls, and the satellite radio trial subscription is still going strong two years in.

I wouldn't pay for it, I don't think it's worth it unless you drive a lot in areas where Earth stations are lovely. Feels like there's been a huge drop in quality of programming since they came out.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I paid cash for a Mini Cooper S that I don't really drive enough to justify. While I really do need a vehicle to get anywhere, I'm a loser so I don't really need to get anywhere.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Tell us stories about every crappy car you owned

Someone in my family have had for years one of those stand-up water coolers where you put the 5 gallon jugs of water on top. They bought the cooler for $100 at Costco maybe 15 years ago, and have been filling up the 5 gallon jugs for a dollar each at the grocery store.
They are getting older, and its a little harder to haul the water jugs and heft them up onto the cooler.
Then the cooler broke, and no longer cools the water, but dispenses it at room temperature. Instead of spending $150 to replace the water cooler with a new, bottom loading one (no lifting required), they bought a water delivery service with a cooler rental from a door to door salesman for $15/month. Now they still have to lift the water jugs to install them, and are paying an extra $13/month for water.

Does this person live somewhere where tap water isn't potable or something?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Fortunately, they cancelled it after a year and have one of the bottom loading coolers now.

Related story - I was at my grandfathers' house a while back and got some water from his stand-up cooler. I didn't know he still got water deliveries, and the water was low in the cooler, so I asked my aunt where the spare jugs were so I could replace it for him.

"Oh, he doesn't have any, he just fills it up in the bathtub now"

:barf:

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

More likely it's just not palatable. A water cooler is a hell of a lot cheaper and healthier than the other common way to deal with bad-tasting tap water - a constant soda habit.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
There's also a brita pitcher at about the same price per month as the cooler water, with a much lower startup price.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nail Rat posted:

There's also a brita pitcher at about the same price per month as the cooler water, with a much lower startup price.

Same price? I buy the 10 pack of filters for < $50 and that lasts over a year.

http://www.target.com/p/brita-ultra...arAA5E2HXfD_BwE

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

LorneReams posted:

Same price? I buy the 10 pack of filters for < $50 and that lasts over a year.

http://www.target.com/p/brita-ultra...arAA5E2HXfD_BwE

Well it depends how many coolers they're getting per month. If they're getting one per week, yeah, it's about the same price(a dollar per jug remember).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This probably isn't much of a revelation to many of you, but since the thread has turned into Car Talk... Because of my job I've had run-ins with rent-to-own businesses and title loan businesses.

Rent-to-own companies seem to do pretty well by renting high-end televisions to low-income or welfare recipient customers. The 65" LED TV goes into the customer's hovel, they make a few payments, and then the product is either reclaimed after non-payment or "goes missing" and the customer has to pay the store's price for the set. Best case scenario for the customer involves paying far too much for a TV they cannot afford in the first place. Paying $2000 for $1000 worth of electronics would be painful to most people with sound finances, but for these people (whether they realize it or not) it's proportionally a much more severe blow, money-wise.

Title loan customers get a loan of a few thousand dollars, repaid with interest, and the car title acts as security on the loan. I always assumed the rates on the loans were usurious, but I never suspected that the annual interest rate on the loans exceeds 100%. These are obviously high risk loans, and there are many unhappy endings.

Nail Rat posted:

That's what I use, although my fiancée loves spending $ on sparkling water.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 29, 2014

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Nail Rat posted:

Well it depends how many coolers they're getting per month. If they're getting one per week, yeah, it's about the same price(a dollar per jug remember).

Oh yeah, I was comparing to $15 a month.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

In a lot of rural areas people are on well water, and that's not always potable for various reasons. Most of my neighborhood had those coolers when I was growing up.

e: quick google, but according to the EPA, 15% of Americans rely on their own wells for drinking. Not sure how many more use wells for house water, but don't drink from them, like above.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 29, 2014

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

There are several places in the US where the tap water is disgusting. Safe to drink yes. But tastes awful.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Plus if your water isn't actually safe to drink (E.Coli, what have you), a Brita filter's not going to help.

I mean I'm against the commercialization of water as a commodity in general, out of principle, but there are situations where buying bottled water makes sense. I keep a couple of litres in my pantry just in case.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My sister's family lives in Utah and the tap water there tastes awful. Water in my area (Silicon Valley) is meh, tastes neither good nor bad. We previously lived in the Seattle area and the tap water was awesome.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

There are several places in the US where the tap water is disgusting. Safe to drink yes. But tastes awful.

Philadphia has awful water for anything but cheesesteaks.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
LA water tastes great, and its free!

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I live in LA but my building is 100+ years old so there's no way I'm drinking whatever's coming out of the pipe unfiltered. On the plus side, rent is less than 1/3rd of my net income for a decent spot in Korea Town.

Giant Goats
Mar 7, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

e: quick google, but according to the EPA, 15% of Americans rely on their own wells for drinking. Not sure how many more use wells for house water, but don't drink from them, like above.

I don't know if that stat includes cisterns, but when for many years my family had our water delivered by truck once a month. We kept a water cooler in the house because if there was a lengthy blackout (which inevitably happened a few times a year), that would mean no cistern pump - ergo, no running water.

Being on a cistern, and by extension having to time your showers and keep track of how many times you flush the toilet, really does instil some good utilities habits for later life.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Agreeing with the guy above me. How long did she have the vehicles? If she spent $10k on the two vehicles and only needed $5k in repairs between the two, depending on how long she had them, she probably didn't do too badly. Did she pay cash for them?

As far as I can tell, each $5k car needed at least $5k in repairs during the 3-4 years she complained about them on a daily basis. This is someone someone who bought used cars with cash because her bad credit prevented her from financing a new car, not someone who performed a cost-benefit analysis and determined that she'd actually be better off driving beaters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Nail Rat posted:

There are some cases where Brita does jack poo poo to improve water's taste. The house I grew up in had horribly salty-tasting water, and we tried Brita for a bit. No help at all. But buying a jug of water for a buck, tossing it in the fridge, and refilling it for 30 cents at the grocery store was reasonable enough that we just did that instead. (Although I haven't seen those refilling stations since I moved...possibly because the tap water here is palatable. :v:)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Haifisch posted:

There are some cases where Brita does jack poo poo to improve water's taste. The house I grew up in had horribly salty-tasting water, and we tried Brita for a bit. No help at all. But buying a jug of water for a buck, tossing it in the fridge, and refilling it for 30 cents at the grocery store was reasonable enough that we just did that instead. (Although I haven't seen those refilling stations since I moved...possibly because the tap water here is palatable. :v:)

That sucks(as does the e. coli example). I'm glad I live somewhere that a brita does the trick. I wouldn't have the room for a cooler and I used to throw away so much money on soda/bottled water.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
With summer arriving, does anyone have any good beach condo time share stories?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

LLCoolJD posted:

My sister said that she "keeps telling Mom and Dad they should buy a timeshare." I started talking about what a terrible idea it was but stopped short of calling her a moron.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

LLCoolJD posted:

I sold my wife's timeshare from her previous marriage on Craigslist for $100. The guy I sold it to is bad with money (because he bought a timeshare).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What are the yearly fees on it? Because at a hundred bucks it might not be terrible... If you enjoy that style of vacation I guess.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread
I just got hit with an autorenew bill for $150 worth of webhosting and domain name registration for poo poo I never use, as well as a $25 subscription fee for an online service that I never use, and a $30 fee for someone else's webhosting that I will never get reimbursed for. That $205 could go a long loving way this month. This is not the first time this has happened either.

I am bad with money. These autorenewing things really kill me because I think "I'll totally cancel this" and of course I never do.

Now I get to go spend god knows how long on the phone trying to get this poo poo canceled and at least some of my money back.

EgonSpengler
Jun 7, 2000
Forum Veteran

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I just got hit with an autorenew bill for $150 worth of webhosting and domain name registration for poo poo I never use, as well as a $25 subscription fee for an online service that I never use, and a $30 fee for someone else's webhosting that I will never get reimbursed for. That $205 could go a long loving way this month. This is not the first time this has happened either.

I am bad with money. These autorenewing things really kill me because I think "I'll totally cancel this" and of course I never do.

Now I get to go spend god knows how long on the phone trying to get this poo poo canceled and at least some of my money back.

Do you have an iPhone? Every time I sign up for a trial period I use Siri to create a reminder of the exact day to cancel. Hasn't failed me yet.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Leroy Diplowski posted:

For what it's worth, I had this happen to me with Godaddy to the tune of 65 bucks. I emailed customer service and they canceled it and refunded my money. It's worth a shot for that much money.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

EgonSpengler posted:

Do you have an iPhone? Every time I sign up for a trial period I use Siri to create a reminder of the exact day to cancel. Hasn't failed me yet.

I've got a Google calendar set up with all of my annual things. I've got a two week reminder, a week reminder, and a 48 hour reminder for everything to either renew/cancel.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

EgonSpengler posted:

This. But I'm usually on my computer when signing up, so I make a new appt in my calendar, which of course syncs to everything I own. (And the NSA gets a copy too!)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

LLCoolJD posted:

One of my coworkers and her husband bought a time share at a resort in Mexico. They've had to cancel their vacation twice since they bought it a year and a half ago because of travel advisories and/or hurricanes. And they're stuck at the same all inclusive resort for all their vacations for the rest of time :v:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

For what it's worth, I had this happen to me with Godaddy to the tune of 65 bucks. I emailed customer service and they canceled it and refunded my money. It's worth a shot for that much money.

I've done something similar with a goon-recommended web host. I bought an original 2 year package and never used it, got autobilled for ~$120 or something and did get it refunded. They were pretty snippy with me, as if I would have remembered it had been 2 loving years since I bought the hosting. Yep, definitely couldn't automate an e-mail a week before it gets autobilled, no sir.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Blue_monday posted:

I've got a Google calendar set up with all of my annual things. I've got a two week reminder, a week reminder, and a 48 hour reminder for everything to either renew/cancel.

The worst part is I had technology reminding me about these charges. I just put it off and then forgot because I am an irresponsible golden manbaby. Maybe I need to get back on piracetam.

In good news, I just got the $30 charge back.

E: And there's the $150 charge :woop:

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 30, 2014

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Maybe I need to get back on piracetam.
That would be bad with money. ;)

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Uranium 235 posted:

That would be bad with money. ;)

I credit it with my current promotion.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

FrozenVent posted:

What are the yearly fees on it? Because at a hundred bucks it might not be terrible... If you enjoy that style of vacation I guess.

Started at $800/year in maintenance fees when I met her, quickly ramped up to $1400/year before I could dump it. That's only to stay in that one particular timeshare in a destination which really isn't a high demand vacation destination. If you want to join a trading network to stay elsewhere it's several thousand in one-time administration fees, a few hundred in network fees yearly and another couple hundred for a booking.

Selling a used timeshare is a lot like selling a used engagement ring and I got drat lucky to find some other fool to sell it to. The original plan was to will the timeshare to a list of charities we didn't like with specific instructions in the will that it not under any circumstances be transferred in ownership to any member of our family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
It's good with money to convince your parents to buy a timeshare because then you get free timeshare access and don't have to pay for it.

• Locked thread