Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Paladin is also now gainfully employeed. Congrats to all of the new working goons. I am going to miss your stories, they make me feel like I am not alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Nice. Semi Related but slightly : My replacement at my old job was apparently "laid off" a few months ago, and now that position is posted again (but with shockingly lower requirements!)

*oldcompany is seeking an IT Assistant to join our team. Ideal candidates will possess an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science and 2–4 years equivalent work experience. Hardware and Windows software knowledge is required and familiarity of networking in a Windows Server environment is preferred. The candidate will serve as single point of contact for end users; job responsibilities include:

> Support, installation, maintenance, and troubleshoot PC hardware and software
> Provide user assistance and training
> Maintain inventory of all computer equipment
> Research products
> System back-up management
> Assist department with testing, upgrade procedures, and system modifications as needed

I guarantee you that they want to start this schmuck at 25k a year.
Good luck, assholes.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Someone should compile Blacksword's "work place adventures" so future generations can feel better about their jobs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nerdrock posted:

Nice. Semi Related but slightly : My replacement at my old job was apparently "laid off" a few months ago, and now that position is posted again (but with shockingly lower requirements!)

*oldcompany is seeking an IT Assistant to join our team. Ideal candidates will possess an Associate’s Degree in Computer Science and 2–4 years equivalent work experience. Hardware and Windows software knowledge is required and familiarity of networking in a Windows Server environment is preferred. The candidate will serve as single point of contact for end users; job responsibilities include:

> Support, installation, maintenance, and troubleshoot PC hardware and software
> Provide user assistance and training
> Maintain inventory of all computer equipment
> Research products
> System back-up management
> Assist department with testing, upgrade procedures, and system modifications as needed

I guarantee you that they want to start this schmuck at 25k a year.
Good luck, assholes.

What do they want a computer science degree for? It doesn't follow anything else they listed as making sense.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Volmarias posted:

What do they want a computer science degree for? It doesn't follow anything else they listed as making sense.

Probably nothing more than someone in management with a hard-on for higher education. The idea of "It's a technical job so they must have formal education" despite it being demonstrably untrue. These people never let reality get in the way of their beliefs.

Edit: Or the less cynical answer, that they don't understand what computer science really entails. If that's the case, it's not their fault since this field doesn't really have any regulated terms and degree titles from different schools are going to vary for the same material.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 30, 2014

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Volmarias posted:

Because computer science. No really, there are a lot of people who simply assume it's an IT degree.

Content: not my ticket, but wow. Don't you guys love it when clients attack and slight you personally simply because a situation occurred that they aren't getting exactly what they want? I ended up getting the call since they escalated over a delay in service since "they can never be down". (They had previously on the ticket demanded a replacement system due that they don't want to ever be down. This is a server, BTW.)

At this point every email I receive from these people I imaging a crying baby.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
A ticket came in. Urgent priority, of course.

"Hi. I can't get my two servers to cluster. Their IPs are in the encrypted fields, with root passwords. What is going on?"
Looks like network conditions, the two machines can't ping each other. Talk to your network engineering team.
"But I can ping both from my computer. This is affecting production!"
Sorry, our software doesn't handle physical networking issues - Talk to your network engineering team.
"Okay. I will."

I then leave for the night. We only do 9-5 EST support, here, except for actual emergencies. Since we support a piece of software which, if it goes down, won't cripple services on the box, that's generally fine.

7:30 PM "Could it be that my server2 is not configured correctly?"
8:00 PM "hi, i tried traceroute to server2, look and see:" TRACEROUTE OUTPUT VOMIT "it looks like this is your software please fix it."
1:30 AM "hi I have also big problems sending emails to some email portals and mainly to gmail."
2:10 AM "please also check over my DNS settings. and you will see that server2 is problem with firewall being DNS ports closed."
4:40 AM "And another thig. How is possible that I can not PING to gateway of server2?"
8:10 AM "OK I ALSO FOUND PROBLEM WITH IPv6 ON SERVER1 FIX NOW"

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Lightning Jim posted:

Because computer science. No really, there are a lot of people who simply assume it's an IT degree.

Precisely this. But: in the same token, I'd mentioned the "severely lowered requirements" ... The requirements they removed were all development related. Not only did I support... everything...while I was there, but I also wrote a lot of code. So, half of it was just easing up on the "we want someone to also write code" thing.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Volmarias posted:

Probably due to some delusion.

They're actually shooting themselves in the foot because not only is a CompSci degree completely unrelated to this position, they'll no doubt receive fewer applications.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

blackswordca posted:

How im celebrating tonight. Finacee made mini pumpkin pies

Thank you all for the grats and well wishes.. you guys helped me stay sane, I appreciate it more than anyone will ever realize it. Cheers to you all!

Your success was linked to the work crew thread, congrats. Excellent taste in scotch.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

spog posted:

I'm going to suggest that part of your first pay packet goes on buying something nice for your fiancee.

Although I don't think you've mentioned it, there's no way you could have coped with all that crap without someone to support you at home.

And I am really happy for you and your change: you deserve it.

Oh, I plan on it. When I called her and told her I think she started crying she was so happy. There were days she told me she was going to come into the office, tell the owners to go gently caress themselves and drag me out.

I plan on taking for a very nice dinner out.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I love that they tried to match the raise. Good job blacksword. We're all proud :yotj:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I wouldn't have told them what exactly you were making at the new job, I'd have told them 50% more.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GreenNight posted:

I wouldn't have told them what exactly you were making at the new job, I'd have told them 50% more.

But then they might have tried to match and he'd be tempted to stay, which would be horrible.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I missed blacksword's saga, but if it is anything like the Tony saga (and all signs point to it), then congrats, for whatever that's worth from a lurker. :)

Also, where can I get that Sirotan mug? :3:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

One of the first things we tell our in home users is that if they change their passwords at home they will not be able to log back in because... Reasons I guess. Nobody seems clear on why this
happens.

The only fix for this it's too ship the laptop back to us or come to one of our offices and log in, meaning for anyone not nearby one of our six locations they are down for two to three days because of a password reset.

Guess what two people did today.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
Who cares about the mug? I want the beer.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

BlackswordsCA and DickTrauma's stories were some of the best entertainment around. Glad to see they both got out. Hopefully Blackswords new job doesnt end up like DickTrauma's.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Thankfully you guys still get this for another two weeks.

So a ticket came in:

All the clients remote sites were down, unable to access internet and network drives in the head office. Did some digging. Sr. disabled the old DHCP server and reactivated it on the new DC/File Server he setup. What he didn't do is update the DHCP relay for any of the remote locations. They were still pointing to the decommissioned server..

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

nexxai fucked around with this message at 16:11 on May 30, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Must be the week of :yotj:

Talked to my boss a bit about how though I am "desktop support" I do a lot of work on the domain controllers and AD, do most of the group policy work here, and work on and resolve tickets that are outside of the desktop support scope. She then showed me the proposal document for a position that entails all the non-desktop work I do that she's going to get the CIO approval's on and then pass it to HR, and that it was made with me in mind. Nothing concrete yet but she wants me in this position and she wants a quick turn around as we're interviewing for another desktop position and if I vacate mine she already has a stable of candidates to fill it.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

Lareous posted:

If you take one in Atlanta, don't live too far from work unless you like sitting in traffic for 3+ hours a day.

This is the main thing about living in metro Atlanta. The metro area is almost the size of New Jersey.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

the panacea posted:

Someone should compile Blacksword's "work place adventures" so future generations can feel better about their jobs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564747&userid=163902

Ta-loving-dah!

Rather surprisingly, blackswordca's musings cover more pages than most threads...

Which of course means that it was too long coming...

Anyway, congrats.

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

antisodachrist posted:

This is the main thing about living in metro Atlanta. The metro area is almost the size of New Jersey.

The random bursts of traffic outside of rush hour don't help either. I can get to Duluth from Marietta in 25~ minutes, or it might take 2 and a half hours.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Maintenance dude: "How should we handle a keyboard with a used condom on it?"
Me: "As a biohazard"

Maintenance dude removed the old keyboard and I replaced it with the crustiest used keyboard that I could find in my discard pile.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Lareous posted:

The random bursts of traffic outside of rush hour don't help either. I can get to Duluth from Marietta in 25~ minutes, or it might take 2 and a half hours.

Hey, that sounds like the Seattle area. I live 15 minutes away (by car) from my work and it normally takes me an hour because of the traffic. There are seemingly random days, although it always seems to be Wednesday or Thursday, where traffic will be extra horrible and it'll add an extra hour on to my commute.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Helushune posted:

Hey, that sounds like the Seattle area. I live 15 minutes away (by car) from my work and it normally takes me an hour because of the traffic. There are seemingly random days, although it always seems to be Wednesday or Thursday, where traffic will be extra horrible and it'll add an extra hour on to my commute.

Hah. I visited Seattle / Tacoma recently and can attest this. Our trip into the city was like, 30 minutes. easy. Our trip out of the city was 2 hours.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Helushune posted:

I never understood "traffic" until I was heading home on a long weekend through Vancouver. Took the ferry from the island to the North Vancouver port, heading back east. Terminal to Surrey, about 45-50km (so like 30'ish miles) was 5 goddamn hours. 5 hours. I never want to live in a big city.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Nerdrock posted:

Hah. I visited Seattle / Tacoma recently and can attest this. Our trip into the city was like, 30 minutes. easy. Our trip out of the city was 2 hours.

Try living in Tacoma and working in Seattle. For six years.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

Yeah. After spending just a long weekend there (for my Wife's cousin's wedding), it's a sweet couple of towns to visit, but gently caress that commute daily. I enjoyed going to a bunch of breweries though.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Siochain posted:

I never understood "traffic" until I was heading home on a long weekend through Vancouver. Took the ferry from the island to the North Vancouver port, heading back east. Terminal to Surrey, about 45-50km (so like 30'ish miles) was 5 goddamn hours. 5 hours. I never want to live in a big city.

I can't take the highway driving to or from work unless I want to sit idle for much, much longer. I-405 here in WA is pretty much unusable from Mon - Sat during any daylight hour unless you want to sit in some awesome New York apocalyptic-movie-style gridlock traffic.

stubblyhead posted:

I live kind of near Everett (north of Seattle) and used to commute to Olympia on a daily basis. I think it would have been cheaper to just rent an apartment down there and then drive home for the weekends.

For on-topic content:
Three laptops have come in this morning where the users have been using System Restore in an attempt to fix whatever problem they're having and keep rolling them back to before we added the machine to the domain. I'm currently writing a GPO to put an end to all this madness and disable system restore completely.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 30, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Hey Blackswordca, what ever happened to that website you never got paid for?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Hey Blackswordca, what ever happened to that website you never got paid for?

OH! I forgot to post in here about that. After months of nothing, I got an email from them Monday. They sent me a cheque. I'm waiting for it to clear, then ill release the domain to their new developer.

Im buying a lotto ticket tonight I think,

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Maintenance dude removed the old keyboard and I replaced it with the crustiest used keyboard that I could find in my discard pile.

Read that as "crustiest used condom that I could find in my discard pile."

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

blackswordca posted:

OH! I forgot to post in here about that. After months of nothing, I got an email from them Monday. They sent me a cheque. I'm waiting for it to clear, then ill release the domain to their new developer.

Amazing. Life is cashing in on some of that Karma you have been saving up. :allears:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

blackswordca posted:

Get back in your pod!

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

jre posted:

Get back in your pod!

Don't you know? His pod is now his house!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Helushune posted:

I can't take the highway driving to or from work unless I want to sit idle for much, much longer. I-405 here in WA is pretty much unusable from Mon - Sat during any daylight hour unless you want to sit in some awesome New York apocalyptic-movie-style gridlock traffic.

The funny thing is that traffic on the surface streets here is almost never that bad unless the President is in town or something. The highways are another story...

But yeah, going to school in Boston and living on the end of Long Island has given me solid experience with terrible drivers and endless traffic.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

The funny thing is that traffic on the surface streets here is almost never that bad unless the President is in town or something. The highways are another story...

But yeah, going to school in Boston and living on the end of Long Island has given me solid experience with terrible drivers and endless traffic.

I'm exaggerating but it really is gridlock from about 6:30am - 9:30am and then again from about 2:45pm - 7:30pm on weekdays and that's all pretty typical. It may or may not be worse depending on what's broken on our toll bridge this week (TM) or one of our other increasingly aging and overworked highway roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Maintenance dude: "How should we handle a keyboard with a used condom on it?"
Me: "As a biohazard"

Ticket Severity: :supaburn:
Issue: COMPUTER IS hosed
Resolution: :dukedog:

• Locked thread