Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I never said I was fired for yawning, I said it was one of the reasons he gave me when he fired me. I get 8 hours of sleep a day. The meds I'm taking are generics and the most affordable for the time being. I will talk to my psych about switching my meds to something that won't make me as drowsy. That's why I said I need to start drinking coffee. If it was a matter of getting enough sleep, I wouldn't be treating my drowsiness with caffeine. But it's not that, because 8 hours of sleep is enough sleep.

IANAD, but I thought it was shown that some people actually require more than 8 hours of sleep to function. Combine this with your medication, and you may actually need more sleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Gets eight hours of sleep = goes to bed at a reasonable time and masturbates until 2am

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I don't think even Benny can be held responsible for the slowness of the Medicaid bureaucracy in processing his family's application. (Assuming we can take him at his word and that they really did apply a while back, as is my understanding. Which I'll grant you is one hell of an assumption.)

If he was actually addressing the issue and giving updates, I wouldn't be blaming him. It's the fact that he hasn't done anything about it. Usually if you call to get a status update, it'll push things a tiny bit forward.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I am hesitant to step into this thread, but I'd just like to point out that yawning is not just a function of fatigue and it can often be traced back to boredom, hunger, anxiety, nervousness or other feeling. A yawn is the body's way of prompting action or transitioning from one physiological/behavioral state to another. It can also just be happen quite often if someone is a shallow breather. It is an unconscious action that can't really be controlled. Hell, just reading/writing or even simply thinking about yawning will often induce a yawn (I have yawned about a dozen time just writing this small post despite just coming back from a 40 minute bike ride).

I doubt caffeine would really do anything to stop or control Benny's yawning.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I think Benny should go on a 40 minute bike ride too.

edit: How long were you at that job? Three weeks? Do you put something like that on a resume?

Greg Legg fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 30, 2014

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

docbeard posted:

Yeah, I don't think even Benny can be held responsible for the slowness of the Medicaid bureaucracy in processing his family's application. (Assuming we can take him at his word and that they really did apply a while back, as is my understanding. Which I'll grant you is one hell of an assumption.)

When I applied (in my state) it took about two months for my application to be processed and approved, but I heard from them within a few days of applying about how long it would take.

Once approved I received a booklet outlining my health care benefits and given a date ( 1.5 months away) as to when my coverage would be active. When my card didn't arrive by that date, it took 2 phone calls totalling less than 30 minutes to confirm that I had coverage, get a new card issued, and get my member ID number in case I needed coverage before my card arrived.

Yes it took nearly four months, however I was promptly and accurately informed about how long the wait would be at every step.

Benny doesn't seem to have that time table or access to information about his health care coverage. So its either that California is just wildly less efficient than my state. Benny's mom is lying about applying or when she applied. Our Benny is lying about applying or when he applied. Hmmmmm.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

TMMadman posted:

I am hesitant to step into this thread, but I'd just like to point out that yawning is not just a function of fatigue and it can often be traced back to boredom, hunger, anxiety, nervousness or other feeling. A yawn is the body's way of prompting action or transitioning from one physiological/behavioral state to another. It can also just be happen quite often if someone is a shallow breather. It is an unconscious action that can't really be controlled. Hell, just reading/writing or even simply thinking about yawning will often induce a yawn (I have yawned about a dozen time just writing this small post despite just coming back from a 40 minute bike ride).

I was yawning like hell at work today when I was talking to someone, then I realized I never had my normal morning coffee.

Went away pretty fast with 2 cups.

Aqua Bear posted:

I think Benny should go on a 40 minute bike ride too.

Working out is awesome, Benny you should at least get in shape while you have free time.

Its hard when you have a life.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
California is the most populous state in the nation. So stuff like health insurance applications take a really, really long time. It doesn't help that the state government is dysfunctional on top of it. If I remember right, it took like two or three months the first time I applied to Medi-Cal until I got a letter in the mail from them. And given the huge rush of applicants because of the Obamacare deadline, I don't expect to hear back for them for another month, at least :smith:

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

California is the most populous state in the nation. So stuff like health insurance applications take a really, really long time. It doesn't help that the state government is dysfunctional on top of it. If I remember right, it took like two or three months the first time I applied to Medi-Cal until I got a letter in the mail from them. And given the huge rush of applicants because of the Obamacare deadline, I don't expect to hear back for them for another month, at least :smith:

But that doesn't explain why you haven't called for an update. Don't wait for them to call you. Be proactive and call them yourself. Stop being lazy and making excuses. Jesus Christ.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Maybe Benny has a really loud and obnoxious yawn.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe Benny has a really loud and obnoxious yawn.

Don't joke, there's an old dude who's office is next to mine has to make a huge "yawning" sound with a "gently caress me" at the end of it, every. drat. time.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Rudager posted:

Don't joke, there's an old dude who's office is next to mine has to make a huge "yawning" sound with a "gently caress me" at the end of it, every. drat. time.

He's cool as hell.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Welp! You did everything you could. It's in the government's hands now. I'm sure they'll take care of it, for you. :ironicat:

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
I don't understand how, with interviews, you can call, email, hand over stupid thank-you notes, etc. But with your health insurance it's just, "well, I sent in the application. All I can do now is wait."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
So, Benny, how about finding out the status of the application for insurance which is critical to your future success?

Ehhhhhhh, it'll probably happen eventually at some point if I sit on my hands, no rush. No time to make a call, I have masturbating to do.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Benny, you should just get on disability and live off disability checks. You're probably never going to hold a job, and it's best to just give up now.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Aqua Bear posted:

edit: How long were you at that job? Three weeks? Do you put something like that on a resume?

Not if you want potential employers to take you seriously.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

cname posted:

Welp! You did everything you could

LMAO

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aqua Bear posted:

HR Here:

No. If you change multiple jobs consecutively, and each job is held for less than 90 days, you are better off leaving them off your resume and being unemployed.

Saying you had work experience for 3 weeks is a red flag and I will auto-bin you for that.

When I get 100 applications, I am looking for disqualification criteria. Things that make me not like you. So lack of experience in the field/job you are applying for, red flags such as short job terms at other companies, multiple resumes for different jobs in the same company, things like that. If your resume stands out, you might avoid the last one, but it needs to be good.

So then when I narrow it down to 10 resumes, I am looking for qualification criteria. Things that make me like you enough to give you an interview. What makes you better than the other 5 people I am going to side-line or bin.

If you hold a job for 90 days, and it isn't in something that is a variable industry like, construction, then you have no excuse. You are a lovely employee and got blasted by your employer. That flags you for every other employer that bothers to read the resume. If they don't bother, then it doesn't matter.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Benny, skip the resumes and just mass mail thank you cards. With any luck, you'll confuse somebody into hiring you.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Benny become a life coach

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Definitely. A resume is a marketing document meant to highlight your accomplishments. Listing a job for 90 days shows incredibly poor judgment.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

If you hold a job for 90 days, and it isn't in something that is a variable industry like, construction, then you have no excuse. You are a lovely employee and got blasted by your employer. That flags you for every other employer that bothers to read the resume. If they don't bother, then it doesn't matter.

I figured as much. I've been lucky I guess and never had a job less than 90 days.

Anyway, this will never sink in with Benny because he's all about excuses. He even said he took full responsibility before listing all the excuses. Now he's making excuses as to why he can't check on his medical insurance.

But that's okay. Benny's got his comics, his mom taking care of him, and he's got a volunteer library position. He didn't have the library position when he started this thread. Progress.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Eris posted:

Definitely. A resume is a marketing document meant to highlight your accomplishments. Listing a job for 90 days shows incredibly poor judgment.

What about 11 days like in Bennys case

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
Benny, open up a CrossFit gym.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

Sotar posted:

Benny, open up a CrossFit gym.

He's too late for that, that fad will be over by the end of year. Lets not forget the time it gets to get a lease on a place, find equipment, members all that takes longer than 90 days.

Colorfinger
Feb 5, 2001

I once had a job for less than 90 days, it was working at Wal-Mart back in 2005. The whole time I was working there I was looking for another job, and actively going on interviews. Now I list the job that I got (and everything subsequent, but I definitely don't list Wal-Mart. In fact it's approaching the 10 year cutoff where I'll automatically just dump stuff off my resume as no longer relevant anyway, so it's getting fairly moot for me.

Point is, I agree with what other people are saying.

And I also think it's hilarious that he lost the job and then hid it from the thread because he was worried about people being mad at him.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
I actually kept a 3 week job on my resume for a long time and still occasionally mention it in interviews if asked about strange or cool jobs I've done or if I had any student jobs dating back earlier than things mentioned on my CV. Then again it was a 3 week contract job as an internal tester for a game (Championship Manager 03/04) and not a lovely sales job I lost after 3 weeks.

I have had a lovely sales job I only kept for a week (before being sacked then offered a commission only job doing the same thing at the same time, I'm fairly sure anyone on a salary is sacked after a week then offered the same) but I keep that well off my CV.

Impatient Skype JO
Nov 26, 2011

leave a sign ... something witchy

you posted:

your text here

Dark Souls posted:

imminent beating to a pulp

TMMadman posted:

Professional yawner here, I'd like to point on that yawning isn't just an unconscious activity (I've yawned for thirty seconds straight just to prove I could) and it's a competitive sport and definite avenue for employment.

Benny, try applying for an internship at your local yawnatorium, you seem to have a natural talent for it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Benny doesn't have the drive to make it on the yawn circuit.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

AlbieQuirky posted:

Benny doesn't have the drive to make it on the yawn circuit.

His dental problems alone probably rule him out.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Masonity posted:

I actually kept a 3 week job on my resume for a long time and still occasionally mention it in interviews if asked about strange or cool jobs I've done or if I had any student jobs dating back earlier than things mentioned on my CV. Then again it was a 3 week contract job as an internal tester for a game (Championship Manager 03/04) and not a lovely sales job I lost after 3 weeks.

Working on short projects like that is the exception. I have lots of short contract experience that I put on my resume, because it displays skills I have, and I have good references from those companies. You don't list your 3 week minimum wage ebay job that you got fired from.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Benny, maybe you should think about a career in the mining industry because this thread has shown that you're able to dig even deeper no matter which hole you find yourself in.

Seriously; your fundamental inability to be honest, forthright, and straightforward with people borders on the pathological. This line:

Benny the Snake posted:

Just like I realized after being fired from Target that my habitual lying was a problem

is laughable because when you identify a problem you actually have to do something about it to rise above it, so you've learned nothing.

Making mistakes and then trying to hide them is what a 5-year-old does when they break a vase.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I don't have my recent job on my resume. I did put "sales experience" under sales and I specify phone sales and online sales on sites such as Craigslist and eBay since those were the sites I was working on and customers would call my phone for CL sales. The way I figure it, my answer to how will be "previous experience". Is it a good idea that I put this on my resume? And if I do, how do I answer the question of how do I have that experience to an interviewer?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Tell them you have a 150-page internet thread where you just lie to everyone for a year. Lying and sales are pretty similar; you're not good at lying but you definitely have experience.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't have my recent job on my resume. I did put "sales experience" under sales and I specify phone sales and online sales on sites such as Craigslist and eBay since those were the sites I was working on and customers would call my phone for CL sales. The way I figure it, my answer to how will be "previous experience". Is it a good idea that I put this on my resume? And if I do, how do I answer the question of how do I have that experience to an interviewer?

I don't know how you don't know how to do what you're doing no matter how we do try to help you. How do you know how?

:eng101:

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Rudager posted:

lol

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Benny try working at a gas station. I promise you won't be fired. Either that or try mcdonalds.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny try working at a gas station.

Benny the Snake posted:

After a few minutes of filling this guy's tank, the pump kept shutting off for some reason. I didn't think he had gotten enough gas, so I figured I'd put in some more. Every time I squeezed the handle, it would stop again after a few seconds. Finally I wrapped it in duct tape and went to wash his windows...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Magnus Gallant posted:

Benny try working at a gas station. I promise you won't be fired. Either that or try mcdonalds.

If I remember correctly, Benny worked at a McDonald's or Burger King in the past and went there to see if they were hiring, and he had some weird story like "The manager asked if I gave my two weeks' notice when I left and I said I didn't remember" and then nothing else was ever mentioned.

• Locked thread