Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

kastein posted:

Turns out bread goes from perfectly fine to moldy as gently caress basically overnight, so I just ate some peanut butter and jelly with a spoon. Not because I don't have any money, mostly because I didn't feel like getting off my rear end and going to buy more bread...

Get better bread next time. I've found marblr rye not only is the best for pb, it lasts scary long.

That or get a bread box.

4 day weekend coming up. Planning on getting poo poo faced and barbecuing. Just gotta last two more days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Jeherrin posted:

Scrape the mould off.
That works for cheese blocks (because they're solid), but not for bread (because it's spongy and the mold can infiltrate).

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Zemyla posted:

That works for cheese blocks (because they're solid)

And because cheese is basically mold anyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Nasgate posted:

Get better bread next time. I've found marblr rye not only is the best for pb, it lasts scary long.

That or get a bread box.

4 day weekend coming up. Planning on getting poo poo faced and barbecuing. Just gotta last two more days.

It's been on the shelf for a week or two, just went right from not moldy at all Sunday to basically the whole bottom of the loaf covered in green splotchy mold today. I always forget how fast it explodes into a mold bomb once it gets started.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Zemyla posted:

That works for cheese blocks (because they're solid), but not for bread (because it's spongy and the mold can infiltrate).

My Grandmother always cut the mold off of bread, never killed any of us.

I did once make a PBJ in the dark and only found out a few days later the jelly was all moldy. Explained why my kidneys hurt for a few days.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A few weeks ago, someone brought bagels to work on a Monday. I ate increasingly stale bagels (with room temperature cream cheese) until someone threw them out on Friday.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

canyoneer posted:

A few weeks ago, someone brought bagels to work on a Monday. I ate increasingly stale bagels (with room temperature cream cheese) until someone threw them out on Friday.

Someone left half a bag of potato chips in the break room last week. They were still there, untouched, yesterday. So I ate them. Good god they were stale, but they still tasted enough like sour cream and onion that they made a good snack.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I love it whenever any of the cookies we sell expire. That staleness works amazingly well if you crush them and pour milk over them. Cookie Crisps can suck it.

Pyf stale poo poo you ate

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

I always preferred 'stale' oreos because they turned soft.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's been on the shelf for a week or two, just went right from not moldy at all Sunday to basically the whole bottom of the loaf covered in green splotchy mold today. I always forget how fast it explodes into a mold bomb once it gets started.

Refrigerate your bread. Keeps it for months.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You're either buying way too much bread, or you don't eat enough to justify how much you buy. A loaf barely lasts a week in my house.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Hell, freeze it and just microwave slices when you need them. I don't eat a ton of sandwiches though.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Hell, freeze it and just microwave slices when you need them. I don't eat a ton of sandwiches though.

A toaster also works well, especially if it has a defrost setting.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If I'm not using a loaf of bread fast enough, I'll toss it in the freezer. I'll usually put the slices frozen on my cast iron flat pan right away when I turn the stove on, and when they're toasted on one side, I know it's good and hot. Then I can flip them for a few seconds, and set them aside until whatever meat I'm cooking is done. Pork Chop Sandwiches! :classiclol:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Captain Trips posted:

You're either buying way too much bread, or you don't eat enough to justify how much you buy. A loaf barely lasts a week in my house.

Or I lived alone and hated going to the store every week. I also like to have a variety of breads going around so I just refrigerated it to keep it good.

edit: I also bake and because I want to not spend a great deal of time baking I make things in larger batches. It's a bachelor thing; I want delicious hand-made bread but I don't want to expend more effort than necessary so I bake two to four loaves all at once. I can't always eat that before it molds so I just wrap it up and cram in it in the fridge.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 16:56 on May 29, 2014

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

There's nothing like a rainy summer night with beer and a cigar. There's something about rain that makes drinking all the more satisfying.

All this bread talk also gives me French toast lust.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My George foreman grill died. I shall be drinking Pimms and eating sausage sandwiches to mourn its passing. Then I'll probably forget we ever had one and just griddle everything.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Nasgate posted:

Pyf stale poo poo you ate

I prefer stale popcorn over fresh.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Nooooo! You spin it around and fold the spin inside-out and over the top. No bread tag or wire tie needed and it stays perfectly sealed.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

cname posted:

Nooooo! You spin it around and fold the spin inside-out and over the top. No bread tag or wire tie needed and it stays perfectly sealed.

That wont protect it from mold. The moisture in the bread and temp it is stored are what cause it. In a warm environment it causes the bread to "sweat" more speeding up the mold growth. In a refrigerator you keep the bread cool keeping the moisture in place. Bread boxes work on this principle too, cool dry place.

This is the concept for all food you put in a fridge. Dry food doesnt need to be but anything with moisture should be.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The problem, then, is that bread from the fridge has a horrible, dry, texture.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to do it because I've never lived in a place with central air, and summer is hot and humid, but i still don't like it.

Most of the year, I can get away with not doing it. Only for, like, July and August is it typically necessary.

And despite being contradictory in terms, I'm headed to a sweet "bachelor" wedding this weekend. Low-key affair in the park. Casual attire, lots of BBQ and beer, and plenty of "lawn games" like bags/cornhole, ladder-ball, frisbee, etc...

All weddings should be that simple.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Nothing like a little cornholing in the park.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
When we moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania, we knew intellectually that we were now in The South, but it didn't really hit us viscerally until someone said "Hey, y'all wanna get some cornhole goin'?" and 1) even Grandma was excited about this, and 2) nobody dropped trou.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

When we moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania, we knew intellectually that we were now in The South, but it didn't really hit us viscerally until someone said "Hey, y'all wanna get some cornhole goin'?" and 1) even Grandma was excited about this, and 2) nobody dropped trou.
Wait, what? I grew up in the deep south and the only definition of cornholing I know is the one that involves butts.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Splizwarf posted:

You sound so disappointed about the second part.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

DrBouvenstein posted:

And despite being contradictory in terms, I'm headed to a sweet "bachelor" wedding this weekend. Low-key affair in the park. Casual attire, lots of BBQ and beer, and plenty of "lawn games" like bags/cornhole, ladder-ball, frisbee, etc...

All weddings should be that simple.

Thank god for that. I hate going to weddings, let alone being in them. I've only been a bridesmaid once, and it was my best friend's wedding. She told me that I could wear whatever I want; if I wanted to come in a scuba suit, that was cool. Of course later her Type A personality kicked in and things were micromanaged a tad, but it was a simple, short, outdoor wedding at the church/cemetery where her dad is buried with only close friends and family. All she asked of the bridesmaids? Wear some shade of green. That was it. It was pretty fuckin' low key and I'm very grateful for that. Unfortunately, the church didn't allow alcohol near the premises so we had to wait a whole couple hours after the event to get drunk.

Basically, gently caress big weddings. Have a party and get loving trashed with those you care about.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

whatshesaid posted:

Basically, gently caress big weddings. Have a party and get loving trashed with those you care about.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I just got back from the liquor store and had to put the top down on my car to fit everything in it. I don't really have a trunk to speak of but it was still a lot of beer.

A 30, a case, three 12 packs, and two six packs if anyone is counting.

This wasn't for any kind of special occasion.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

I live in Mississippi and I only heard this from people from the Midwest. Where it's from. The word "corn" is right there in the name.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I live in Mississippi and I only heard this from people from the Midwest. Where it's from. The word "corn" is right there in the name.

Im from Kansas and we don't even play that game except kids at fairs. Frisbee, Football, and Foot. If it's not one of those then your main event is just drinkin.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Nasgate posted:

Im from Kansas and we don't even play that game except kids at fairs. Frisbee, Football, and Foot. If it's not one of those then your main event is just drinkin.

Well poo poo, I don't even know then. Maybe it's just dumb people from anywhere.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Well poo poo, I don't even know then. Maybe it's just dumb people from anywhere.

One of the dumbest people I know up here in mass is absolutely obsessed with cornhole and rarely misses the opportunity to run his yap about how he's in a cornhole tournament this Thursday or whatever, so I suspect you're right.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The best party drinking game is Kan Jam. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWsB3YFG4hE

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
The recipe I'm cooking calls for a slotted spoon. I don't have a slotted spoon. I do, however, have a drill, a file, and some knackered drill bits that needed using up.

Result: slotted spoon.

In the interests of safety, I'd like to reassure all concerned parties that safety beer googles were worn at all times.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

The recipe I'm cooking calls for a slotted spoon. I don't have a slotted spoon. I do, however, have a drill, a file, and some knackered drill bits that needed using up.

In the interests of safety, I'd like to reassure all concerned parties that safety beer googles were worn at all times.

why not just use a fork? What were you cooking?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

JEEVES420 posted:

What kind of bachelor are you? :crossarms:

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

JEEVES420 posted:

The obvious solution is seldom the most fun.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jeherrin posted:

I hope deburring was performed because that's going to hurt if you forget and eat off it sometime. Screaming and bleeding from the lips isn't very bachelor. :ohdear:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

kastein posted:

he's in a cornhole tournament

Ha, less athletic than the name suggests.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

VendaGoat posted:

What kind of bachelor are you? :crossarms:

The kind that finds the solution with least amount of work...lazy kind I guess.

Jeherrin, what were you cooking? This is important man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:
I got the news today that I was selected to get my dream nursing job, in the field I wanted, and a 12-minute drive from my house. All that stands between me and a real salary is the NCLEX (board exam). But I will pass first time, no doubt. This is the best day. It still seems like a dream.

In a couple months I will be living it the gently caress up, buying all the stupid poo poo I want! I'm terrible with my money. Single, no kids, gently caress it! That's what you're supposed to do in your late 20s. Okay I'm almost 30, but so what. :cool: :cheers:

• Locked thread