Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Good jokes get made more often, albeit you have to sift through more poo poo to find them.

I think Abe said that they nuked old GBS because anything born from it would be better than the RSS feed it had become. No offense to anyone, but you joined SA for the wrong reason if you thought the old GBS was good. The new one isn't good, either, but it's certainly better.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess picking clashing colors is not at all a surprise for a person who willingly owns and customizes one of those.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Studebaker Wagonaire:

So Studebaker made the original XUV. GMC's version didn't quite make it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

rcman50166 posted:

Good jokes get made more often, albeit you have to sift through more poo poo to find them.

I think Abe said that they nuked old GBS because anything born from it would be better than the RSS feed it had become. No offense to anyone, but you joined SA for the wrong reason if you thought the old GBS was good. The new one isn't good, either, but it's certainly better.

At least the poo poo in the old GBS was idiots being earnest instead of the professional shitposting crew that is slowly turning it into a BYOB-lite.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

bung posted:

So Studebaker made the original XUV. GMC's version didn't quite make it.

Holy poo poo I forgot about this, it's an even worse Avalanche.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

At least the poo poo in the old GBS was idiots being earnest instead of the professional shitposting crew that is slowly turning it into a BYOB-lite.

Leave newGBS running a few more months

Then permaban everyone who posted there more than elsewhere

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I don't care if he was speeding, this pedestrian better get the book thrown at them:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/30/angry-pedestrian-throws-rock-at-speeding-lamborghini-aventador-4744959/

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Old GBS was kinda cool like 5 years ago, but had become a place full of thin skinned retards who wanted to be offended about things and SJW about everything. gently caress that noise, that's what tumblr is for.

A girl I briefly dated last fall got an HHR as a rental car when hers was totaled. Said it was a total piece of poo poo and she hated it.

I ended up with a Kia Soul rental in 2012... couldn't stand the thing, even aside from the fact that it looks like the rear end end of a large caterpillar with those eyespot taillights.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

A girl I briefly dated last fall got an HHR as a rental car when hers was totaled. Said it was a total piece of poo poo and she hated it.

I had an HHR a couple of years ago for a rental while my Fusion was having its transmission rebuilt. Piece of poo poo.

Right now my current fleet car is having its engine rebuilt (2.4 Ecotec with excessive oil consumption) and the dealer gave me a base-model Sonic. Likewise, piece of poo poo but at least its moderately fuel efficient.

To be fair, when was the last time GM turned out a decent compact that didn't suffer from design and/or engineering flaws?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Precisely never.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krakkles posted:

I don't care if he was speeding, this pedestrian better get the book thrown at them:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/05/30/angry-pedestrian-throws-rock-at-speeding-lamborghini-aventador-4744959/

Something similar to this happened in Indianapolis last year but the dude used a BB gun instead of a rock. Kids kept using his street to race and he lost his poo poo one day.

Now, would we care as much if the dude was driving a Maxima?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^Counterpoint: would the pedestrian have cared as much?

Geoj posted:

To be fair, when was the last time GM turned out a decent compact that didn't suffer from design and/or engineering flaws?

I've never heard anything super bad about the Monza. v:shobon:v

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Something similar to this happened in Indianapolis last year but the dude used a BB gun instead of a rock. Kids kept using his street to race and he lost his poo poo one day.

Now, would we care as much if the dude was driving a Maxima?
I would still care just as much, yes. I have had people throw things at my car before, and it's not only severely uncool, it's dangerous.

The pedestrian might not have cared as much, which is a further reason they should be pressed with any and all charges which can be imagined.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

I would still care just as much, yes. I have had people throw things at my car before, and it's not only severely uncool, it's dangerous.

The pedestrian might not have cared as much, which is a further reason they should be pressed with any and all charges which can be imagined.

I agree, and the owner of the Lambo needs to lose his license for driving like a complete loving idiot on public streets.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
Assuming he was and that guy didn't have an aggressive case of old man :corsair:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I'm not really sure a 0-60 run (looks like he did two gear changes then slowed down, but yes, a guess) on a 3 lanes each direction road qualifies as driving like a complete loving idiot.

Even if he was driving like a complete loving idiot, call the cops. Violence isn't the solution to this.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

Even if he was driving like a complete loving idiot, call the cops.

911 dispatcher: "did the speeding car cause an accident resulting in an injury? No? Have a nice day, sir. *click*"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If he launched properly after the lunatic with the rock stopped him, he could have outran the rock.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geoj posted:

911 dispatcher: "did the speeding car cause an accident resulting in an injury? No? Have a nice day, sir. *click*"

*gets mad, attempts to hurt people*

It's up to the cops to enforce the law, not stupid men with rocks. That's part of the point of living in a civilized society.

Powershift posted:

If he launched properly after the lunatic with the rock stopped him, he could have outran the rock.
Probably. He was probably trying not to injure anybody :v:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

rcman50166 posted:

Assuming he was and that guy didn't have an aggressive case of old man :corsair:

Did you not see the beginning of the video? He was definitely hooning it out on the roadway.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

*gets mad, attempts to hurt people*

Throwing a rock at the side of a car is infinitely worse than driving at highway speeds in a residential area.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Geoj posted:

Throwing a rock at the side of a car is infinitely worse than driving at highway speeds in a residential area.
I agree.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Society has decided that violence against people or property is a bad thing and you shouldn't do it, so people should probably cut it out.

It's also decided driving like a shitcock is a bad thing but trying to prevent it doesn't legalize violence.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Fucknag posted:

^Counterpoint: would the pedestrian have cared as much?

I've never heard anything super bad about the Monza. v:shobon:v

Didn't those have the problematic Vega motors? I was going to say the Chevy II was a pretty successful, pretty well thought-of compact.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Guy in the blue shirt needs to see criminal charges (or at least a drat good beating) and to have to pay for the damage.

What's perhaps worse in one sense is that almost no non-car-people realise that eggs damage paintwork, so while people will understand why throwing a rock is wrong, they won't understand why throwing an egg (or something else) is just the same thing on a smaller scale, as opposed to a harmless prank that can be dealt with by hosing it off. Same for letting tyres down.

Also, you do not gently caress with someone's car. This is a pretty basic rule.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 30, 2014

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
http://www.teamyarpirate.com/clutch.jpg

warning: huge image

backstory: had to store my motorcycle for winter, needed someone to drive me back while I rode motorcycle, friend volunteered. I gave him the choice of driving wrx wagon or prius, he chose the wagon. He had owned a car with a manual transmission for a few years before, so I assumed he knew how to drive. When we got to the farm where I was to store the bike, my car reeked of burned clutch. I drove home, very cautiously (since it was slipping in first gear, eesh.) My friend (farm owner, not clutch-burner) welded this trophy together for him out of the clutch we pulled out.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

YarPirate posted:

backstory: had to store my motorcycle for winter, needed someone to drive me back while I rode motorcycle, friend volunteered. I gave him the choice of driving wrx wagon or prius, he chose the wagon. He had owned a car with a manual transmission for a few years before, so I assumed he knew how to drive. When we got to the farm where I was to store the bike, my car reeked of burned clutch. I drove home, very cautiously (since it was slipping in first gear, eesh.) My friend (farm owner, not clutch-burner) welded this trophy together for him out of the clutch we pulled out.

Did he pay for the new clutch?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

InitialDave posted:

Guy in the blue shirt needs to see criminal charges (or at least a drat good beating) and to have to pay for the damage.

What's perhaps worse in one sense is that almost no none-car-people realise that eggs damage paintwork, so while people will understand why throwing a rock is wrong, they won't understand why throwing an egg (or something else) is just the same thing on a smaller scale, as opposed to a harmless prank that can be dealt with by hosing it off. Same for letting tyres down.

Also, you do not gently caress with someone's car. This is a pretty basic rule.

Yes, Pulp Fiction was a good movie.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I can't fathom why you'd gently caress with someone in a Lambo in this way. Obviously they have money to blow and I doubt many owners are gonna be shy about lawyering up and suing the gently caress out of someone that dents their car.

I can imagine the repair costs for a big rear end rock hitting a door panel even on say, a Honda Civic, are more than one would think. Replacing the skin + paint on a lambo is probably in "outrageously hosed in the rear end in a top hat" territory.

I'm not sure the video looks too good for the Lambo owner since he probably did break the speed limits of that area but that's not exactly cause for vigilante justice from Charles Bronson with a rock.

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

PCOS Bill posted:

Did he pay for the new clutch?

When I told him how much it would cost total, he got really sheepish and apologized. A few weeks later he offered to pay for a fraction of what it would end up costing, and I turned it down because I wasn't really hurting for money. Shaming him with the trophy was payment enough, IMO.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I had a fun night a few weeks back. A buddy of mine didn't look too good after an evening of beer and whiskey with some friends so I offered to drive him home in his car and have my wife pick me up at his place and take me back to my car. He drives a 90s subaru wagon that he absolutely adores and will not get rid of. Fine by me but when I pushed in the clutch to get the car in reverse, I'm having a hard time without the transmission grinding. He says, "no worries, it's a little rough, you need to push the clutch harder". So I jammed the poo poo out of it and still nothing. gently caress it, I leave it in neutral and allow the car to coast out of the inclined parking garage spot. Then I realize that it's hard to shift into other gears too. "You really gotta push the gently caress out of the clutch", he says. I get it in first and I tell him that I think it's time for a new clutch. He then tells me that it's brand new. His clutch had a sweet spot of about 3 inches or so after pushing in 8 inches of "nothing" feeling. Once you hit that sweet spot, you had to jam even harder to get that additional 1 inch for maximum clutch engaging. I get used to it but as I'm merging onto a freeway, I look down and realize his speedo doesn't work either. Jesus.

How in the hell does he make a daily driver out of this car? I drive a manual transmission as well and no, that kind of clutch play would not be acceptable on a daily basis.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So how does he operate a clutch? Just leave the pedal half pressed for the entire trip?

edit - re: wrx clutch ruiner guy

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

joat mon posted:

Yes, Pulp Fiction was a good movie.
*shrug* My opinions on the relative worth I place on my cars verus people who would vandalise them rarely go down well.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I don't know, if I started from the top of the released position, it felt dead forever until I finally felt some resistance about 4 inches from pushing it all the way and then, I painfully buried my foot into the floor board in an attempt to get it to fully engage.

ahh, saw your edit now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

YarPirate posted:

There is no way all of that damage happened from one ride home though. That's completely hosed up. There's got to be more to it than a guy who is somewhat proficient with a manual giving you a ride home.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

GutBomb posted:

There is no way all of that damage happened from one ride home though. That's completely hosed up. There's got to be more to it than a guy who is somewhat proficient with a manual giving you a ride home.
Yes, it's a guy who isn't in the least bit proficient with a manual giving him a ride home!

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion

xzzy posted:

So how does he operate a clutch? Just leave the pedal half pressed for the entire trip?

edit - re: wrx clutch ruiner guy

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he engages / disengages the clutch with his foot still on the accelerator. I learned afterward that he starts from a stop with like 4k revs, too.

Edit:

quote:

The drive was ~11 miles during heavy traffic, so there was a lot of stopping/going. When we got the transmission free of the engine, there was about a grapefruit sized ball of what I assume fiberglass from the clutch that had stripped from the disk that fell out onto the floor. Sorta looked like a bird's nest. The previous owner of my car (bought it in 2012) replaced the clutch a year before I got it with ~75k miles on it with an OEM (exedy) one. Granted they aren't exactly renowned for their longevity, it should have definitely lasted longer than it did.

YarPirate fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 30, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

*shrug* My opinions on the relative worth I place on my cars verus people who would vandalise them rarely go down well.

:laffo:

"Vigilante justice is in no way justified against shitbags who put people at risk by driving dangerously are just engaged in some good old harmless fun that could never hurt anyone, but if you as much as breathe on my car I will loving end you."

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

:laffo:

"Vigilante justice is in no way justified against shitbags who put people at risk by driving dangerously are just engaged in some good old harmless fun that could never hurt anyone, but if you as much as breathe on my car I will loving end you."
No, I'll just call the police. I have done so when I had a car vandalised before. I'm not an idiot. But that doesn't mean I care in the slightest if they do it to someone who is an idiot and it goes badly for them.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I think the pedestrian should get a loving medal, and his very own set of stop sticks.